5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Port And Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 08:25 AM

Port And Polish?

Does anyone have this done? What does this do meanin how does it affect the car (more high end, low end? ANychange)? I was thinkin about gettin this done But I dont know of anyone that has it on the max or if it is possible
Old 06-18-2003, 08:27 AM
NT2SHBBY

ummm its not as simple as 1-2-3...you gotta remove the engine from it's bay and start ground up for a proper job....overall HP and torque is increased

Old 06-18-2003, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
ummm its not as simple as 1-2-3...you gotta remove the engine from it's bay and start ground up for a proper job....overall HP and torque is increased

yea i know that, but deos it put down good numbers? does anyone have it done?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by twllin

yea i know that, but deos it put down good numbers? does anyone have it done?
I don't think anyhone has this done(unless they are holding back on us )
Old 06-23-2003, 03:17 PM

anyone else?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

WTH? You guys throw that "port and polish" up like it's installing an intake or something. Port and polish WHAT? How do you know it will do anything?? Especially when you de-engineering about a few million of Nissan development costs. It could just as easily reduce power as increase power.

"port and polish" Someone must have said that phrase in Phast and Phurrist!
Old 06-23-2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
WTH? You guys throw that "port and polish" up like it's installing an intake or something. Port and polish WHAT? How do you know it will do anything?? Especially when you de-engineering about a few million of Nissan development costs. It could just as easily reduce power as increase power.

Why do you think i posted this tred Idoit! To See if anyone has done it, How hard it was, See if it gained power, How much it costed Etc. Some peoples children
Old 06-23-2003, 03:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Do you even know what you are talking about? Let's start here.
1) Port and polish WHAT.

Why do you think i posted this tred Idoit! To See if anyone has done it, How hard it was, See if it gained power, How much it costed Etc. Some peoples children
Old 06-23-2003, 03:36 PM

Old 06-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Horra!!

I think he learned that phrase from playing Gran Turismo...
Old 06-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Remove the air filter and pour a bag of sand into the intake. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Audi's

I cant remember if I have any experience or not.

Gran Turismo..... I need to play that again.
MrGone
Old 06-23-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by looslip
I think he learned that phrase from playing Gran Turismo...
Thats were most people get it from

Its not too smart to port the heads much IF thats what you are refering to. If you take out too much material your gonna lose quite a bit of power on the low end making the car not streetable. Why do you think they give the nascars stock cars a push off the line
It doesnt have jack for low end (some1 correct me if im wrong about this) Its best to basically remove any imperfections in the ports (probably very little to non, its not a honda) and poilish it up. Maybe a 5-10hp gain at the wheels. You'll see better gains on a boosted car then N/A obviously but its not worth the time to do this, unless you already have the heads off and having cams, lighter valves, springs installed. Then is say might as well, its already taken apart to get that extra 5-10hp but overall its not worth doing.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:15 PM

Porting is not a DIY job. Polishing an intake on the other hand, is worth a little power. Gasket/port matching is really worth some power. I polished my heads on my Mustang myself, and got good gains from it. :shrug: Whether I'd tear my Max apart to polish the heads is another story.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
Porting is not a DIY job. Polishing an intake on the other hand, is worth a little power. Gasket/port matching is really worth some power. I polished my heads on my Mustang myself, and got good gains from it. :shrug: Whether I'd tear my Max apart to polish the heads is another story.
If you were going to throw in a set of those cams that just came out for the 350Z that has like 10.5mm lift then would you not? Im willing to bet those cams, the lighter valves, spring, retainers and the slight porting (just a beefed up set of heads in other words which im sure you know) alone should gain a good 30-40whp but maybe 5 will come from the porting. I dont think the 3.5 really needs a major porting job, a polish up would do it some good though.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:57 PM

You would be suprised how crappy the ports are on ANY factory heads/intake. Very rough casts, no gasket matching at all.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:09 PM

porting, polishing, gasket matching all can and are DIY jobs. However one should have experience or a through understanding of the concepts and techniques.

I am personally doing some work on the VE's heads and intake and will post my results when I'm done. I am taking a rather agressive route on it aswell. I also just finished porting the throttle body for the Durango, and soon will get to the heads and then the intake manifold (which will be butchered). I am also trying to find a good deal on some aluminum heads for my mustang. I already have the lower intake for it for a 5.0 and am going to find the upper for it.

MrGone
Old 06-23-2003, 09:09 PM

Porting/polishing is not a job that is normally done by itself, as some other posts have said. It's basically done in addition to some other mods (cams, lifters, etc.). As for the lack of low-end, porting/polishing alone MAY cause a problem, but the porting is usually minimal enough to not matter - just to smooth the way. As for NASCAR needing a push, last I checked those guys can do some major burnouts and doughnuts from a standstill without a push. They usually need a push when they blow first gear and leave the pits in second or third. Not soemthing you see everyday.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:19 PM

and the tires NASCAR's use arent exactly slick.....
Old 06-23-2003, 09:25 PM

and hot slicks are sticky...
Old 06-23-2003, 10:26 PM

I am no where close to done, but you can see the ammount of overlap the gasket has on the 2nd runner (to the right of the picture). That is 2mm of overlap right there.

MrGone
Old 06-23-2003, 10:33 PM

I don't believe that you lose tq with a good polishing job. You have to leave a little texture on the ports to atomize the fuel. I put down 246 rwhp/283 rwtq with a basically bone stock 00' 4.6 in my 98 GT, after a little home polishing. And that's untuned also.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

Good lord. The replies in thread are amazing.
1) Has anyone of you guys seen the heads off any Nissan or Japanese make? They are extremely clean and well designed. This ain't your dad's 64 Mustang w/ the 289 iron heads.
2) Mess with the heads and I can almost guarantee you failure. Unless you have a flow bench set up. Forget any major changes to the combustion chamber. You will *** it up.

All these guys want to re-engineer in their garage what these companies spent millions in cad/flow bench research.

Some simple port matching, maybe.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:06 AM

whoa! I for one wont be touching the combustion chamber.

My Dad never had a "1st gen" Mustang I'm the first one in the family to own one now that I think about it

MrGone
Old 06-24-2003, 01:31 AM

WTH? You guys throw that "port and polish" up like it's installing an intake or something.
Is there a certain way to "throw up" a post to introduce a harder job ?
Port and polish WHAT? How do you know it will do anything?? Especially when you de-engineering about a few million of Nissan development costs. It could just as easily reduce power as increase power.
I think that was why he was asking ...to find out.

And end it with a flame
Old 06-24-2003, 05:20 AM

1) Has anyone of you guys seen the heads off any Nissan or Japanese make? They are extremely clean and well designed. This ain't your dad's 64 Mustang w/ the 289 iron heads.
2) Mess with the heads and I can almost guarantee you failure. Unless you have a flow bench set up. Forget any major changes to the combustion chamber. You will *** it up.

All these guys want to re-engineer in their garage what these companies spent millions in cad/flow bench research.

In fact I have. I floated 3 valves on my Honda GS-R motor once. Had to pull the head and send it to a machine shop. Had port/polish, new valves (of course new valve job), new valve springs, and for fun had them match port the intake and exhaust gaskets. It was allll very much worth it.

Any motor can benefit from a port/polish. Any motor. That is a well known fact in the gear-head community. No motor is perfect, and the Japanese are not the gods of motor-building. I am not here to argue with you on this, you asked if anyone has seen the inside of a Japanese motor. Yes I have, and I have seen/felt the benefits of that head-work.

as for the original question, sure it will help, but at what cost. It will run you at least $1000/head to have the work done and the all around reliability of the Maxima motor will be gone. The only person that might have done this and that probably should would be Mardigras max.

By the way, my Honda.... 96 Civic coupe w/ 1.8 VTEC motor, built. 13.4 quarter all motor 1999. But it was just a civic so I had to sell it off.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:21 AM
VQ Wizard

You beat me to it.

Getting extra power out of Nissan parts by porting/polishing is VERY difficult and usually not worth the effort.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by beemreatr

And end it with a flame
Thank you some one that actually realized what message boards are for, some people get all ancy if someone posts a simple question to get information geez whats this world comin to, this is just the Net guys

Thanks Beemreatr
Old 06-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Horra!!

Originally posted by HitManSE

If you were going to throw in a set of those cams that just came out for the 350Z that has like 10.5mm lift then would you not? Im willing to bet those cams, the lighter valves, spring, retainers and the slight porting (just a beefed up set of heads in other words which im sure you know) alone should gain a good 30-40whp but maybe 5 will come from the porting. I dont think the 3.5 really needs a major porting job, a polish up would do it some good though.
I would like to see some dynos of that stuff on a Max
http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-sto...ctronics4.html
Old 06-24-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

Thing is he says "port and polish". He doesn't even know what he wants "ported and polished". Head, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, lower intake manifold. Even when I asked him SPECIFICALY (twice I might add), he had no idea what to answer.

Yes there is a certain way to ask. That wasn't it.
Originally posted by beemreatr

And end it with a flame
Old 06-24-2003, 08:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

So what exactly did they port? The in/ex port itself? Change the shape of the combustion chamber? Did they cc each chamber? Did they increase or decrease the chamber size? Did they put bigger valves in? What did they do exactly in the "port and polish"?? It's not the same thing in every engine. In fact, it's not the same thing depending on what you want done. Some weld the chambers to decrease the chamber size.

Originally posted by dblrr900

In fact I have. I floated 3 valves on my Honda GS-R motor once. Had to pull the head and send it to a machine shop. Had port/polish, new valves (of course new valve job), new valve springs, and for fun had them match port the intake and exhaust gaskets. It was allll very much worth it.

Any motor can benefit from a port/polish. Any motor. That is a well known fact in the gear-head community. No motor is perfect, and the Japanese are not the gods of motor-building. I am not here to argue with you on this, you asked if anyone has seen the inside of a Japanese motor. Yes I have, and I have seen/felt the benefits of that head-work.

as for the original question, sure it will help, but at what cost. It will run you at least $1000/head to have the work done and the all around reliability of the Maxima motor will be gone. The only person that might have done this and that probably should would be Mardigras max.

By the way, my Honda.... 96 Civic coupe w/ 1.8 VTEC motor, built. 13.4 quarter all motor 1999. But it was just a civic so I had to sell it off.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:00 AM

Thing is he says "port and polish". He doesn't even know what he wants "ported and polished". Head, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, lower intake manifold. Even when I asked him SPECIFICALY (twice I might add), he had no idea what to answer.

Yes there is a certain way to ask. That wasn't it.

Dman ur hard headed I asked if anyone has had it done meaning if they do what they have done, I never said I wanted to do it, it was a simple question that hard headed idiots like yourself assume you know all. I admit I dont know much thats why Im here to learn from people that have done stuff to their car that I havent. So leave your ignorance at home
Old 06-24-2003, 09:02 AM

So what exactly did they port? The in/ex port itself? Change the shape of the combustion chamber? Did they cc each chamber? Did they increase or decrease the chamber size? Did they put bigger valves in? What did they do exactly in the "port and polish"?? It's not the same thing in every engine. In fact, it's not the same thing depending on what you want done. Some weld the chambers to decrease the chamber size.

By the way I agree with you.... he didn't even say what he wanted P&P. So I think he just heard it at a car show, or GT

As for me, I do not know all that the machine shop had done. It was out a week and came back all pretty. They ported the Intake and Exhaust side, lightened valves; they polished the inside quite a bit and asked if I wanted to mill the head but I said no, my pocketbook was running thin at that point. I also didn't want to deal with the increased compression after milling the head.

The thing about this is I had to do it of course after messing up the valves, so I opted to get all this done, but the car always had puffs of smoke and crap after that. This stuff is all good but there is always a cost to pay for it.... reliability, smoke, problems with plugs, A/F ratio, etc. Everyone I know that has had headwork done has had some problem after the fact that was a result of the work.

So you are 100% right, you are changing the Engineering of that particular motor from the factory, but doing work will give gains, but at what cost.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

Then I suggest typing in port and polish into google instead of looking like a total rookie. BTW you still haven't specificed what you wanted PP'd.

Dman ur hard headed I asked if anyone has had it done meaning if they do what they have done, I never said I wanted to do it, it was a simple question that hard headed idiots like yourself assume you know all. I admit I dont know much thats why Im here to learn from people that have done stuff to their car that I havent. So leave your ignorance at home
Old 06-24-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm needing a caw

That's really odd. I never really heard of those kinds of problems. Especially if the work was done by a good shop(like yours). It didn't even sound like they did alot to the combustion chambers themselves. Just some nice valve stem work and some intake/exhaust port cleaning.When you mess with the cambers and ports, you are also disturbing the way the maker had the air coming into the combustion chamber. Maybe when they polish or change things, the air doesn't swirl as intented from the factory, making power but also making other oddball things. I think it's really hard to improve on mordern day engines now. Too much is at stake power/emission-wise for companies not to get all they can out of their head design. Especially Honda. They do EXCELLENT work from the get go.

Originally posted by dblrr900

By the way I agree with you.... he didn't even say what he wanted P&P. So I think he just heard it at a car show, or GT

As for me, I do not know all that the machine shop had done. It was out a week and came back all pretty. They ported the Intake and Exhaust side, lightened valves; they polished the inside quite a bit and asked if I wanted to mill the head but I said no, my pocketbook was running thin at that point. I also didn't want to deal with the increased compression after milling the head.

The thing about this is I had to do it of course after messing up the valves, so I opted to get all this done, but the car always had puffs of smoke and crap after that. This stuff is all good but there is always a cost to pay for it.... reliability, smoke, problems with plugs, A/F ratio, etc. Everyone I know that has had headwork done has had some problem after the fact that was a result of the work.

So you are 100% right, you are changing the Engineering of that particular motor from the factory, but doing work will give gains, but at what cost.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:15 AM

Then I suggest typing in port and polish into google instead of looking like a total rookie. BTW you still haven't specificed what you wanted PP'd.

Damn man I never said I wanted a port and polish I simply asked if anyone had it and what they had, geez get it through your head. And I already admitted I was a rookie theres no hard in askin questions is there? So let me ask u one, Would U please shut The F*ck up?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

No, rookie You always ask about crap you never intend to do?

Damn man I never said I wanted a port and polish I simply asked if anyone had it and what they had, geez get it through your head. And I already admitted I was a rookie theres no hard in askin questions is there? So let me ask u one, Would U please shut The F*ck up?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:21 AM

I think my problem with the puffs of smoke is I didnt let the head break in enough. I was about 800 miles in when I cranked on it one day. I drove great, but I regreted that day for the rest of the time I had it. Don;t get me wrong, I didnt look like James Bond with a smoke screen, it was only when I started the car a puff ball of smoke came out. The shop did good work for the price, I just agree that doing that kind of work is changing the way the car was designed.

Twillin - Don't let Jeff get under your skin man. He is just eggin you on.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I definitely wouldn't have started the thread by saying that it is "something you are thinking about doing". If you don't even know what it is or what it does, why would you say that. This definitely comes off like a typical ricer thread.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

Better get TWO port and polishes so he can run 10's

Originally posted by asu174

I definitely wouldn't have started the thread by saying that it is "something you are thinking about doing". If you don't even know what it is or what it does, why would you say that. This definitely comes off like a typical ricer thread.

Quick Reply: Port And Polish?