5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Check Engine Light *help*

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 08:08 AM

Check Engine Light *help*

You guys in here ROCK! Heres my ongoing problem re: 2001 Anniv. Maxima SE 51k miles (meticulously maintained). My check engine light has been on for months. The dealer pushed me away 5 times blamin it on the gas cap. Now I'm out of warranty and out of luck.
I have since replaced the gas cap but I am still having the problem. My local mechanics Snap On only reads up to 2000 accurately but he was able to note that both O2 sensors on bank 1 (passnagers side front) pre and post cat were sluggish to repsond under throttle (normal range is from 1-9volts in meter fluctuation). In his 20 year of experience opinion he cited possible cat and sensors- keep in mind he is not a Nissan tech. and his equiptment is not up to the job. Note the car runs great just the light has been on and the milage is very poor 16-20 in mixed driving. Nissan said it likely needs to have the computer flashed/$168.00. Not happy with this and afraid that once they got it they had it, they would try selling me a $400 job, I brought the car to a local foreign car guy. Unlike Nissan he diagnosed it for free- though I think he used the same Snap-On diagnostic unit as the first guy. Anyway he confidently showed me the print-out which clearly read O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1. (Is anyone familiar with Snap-On? Is this the front passangers side exhaust maifold sensor)NO CHARGE! I relplaced it yesterday in about 5 minutes- it's the one on the exhaust manifold; passangeres side (note, you ned to remove the heat shield to get access to the nut otherwise risk damaging the new sensor).

Question...are bosches trouble free as OE? I've heard 3 wire aftermarket can be risky. I used OE $140.00 ); 3 wire.

I drove the car for 107 miles and bam- the lightcame back on!! (*&(*&)* My milage was 20mpg--again. Now he had reset the light before I installed the new O2 and then I drove it home 5 miles. When I installed the new one the light was definitely off. Could some of the old codes still be in the ECU and do you think flasing it will help? Could it be the O2 after the cat and lastly anyone know anyway to chekc the cat? My roomate has the same max- how could I check tailpipe exhaust pressure- if mine is sign. lower then the cat must be clogged from running in open loop mode(too rich). Also, can the daler try to voidmy cat warranty since I replaced the O2...you know how they get. Is there a number that I can call for the EPA to complain? 800 nissan1 did NOTHING for me. They said unless I used the dealer regularly and bought several cars there they would not offer me any break since I am a over the warranty.
3/36 bumper to bumber; 5/50 emmisions(some) 3/36 O2 sensors; 7/70 Catylytic Converters. I have 4 cats and 4 sensors (California emmisions- Very expensive). Otherwise the car runs like a champ- just poor milage and that light. Thanks for your help. As it stands I'm bringing it back to the tech that told me it was the sensor- he said he had been a Nissan Service manager so I'll ask his opinion before going to the dealer. If he can flash it or check out the cat I would be happier then at the mercy of the money hungry- no service oriented dealer. Your input here is greatly appreciated.

Dave
Old 06-22-2003, 10:49 AM

IT seems to me that if you complained of the problem before your warranty expired (regardless if they fixed it or not), they are still responsible for fixing it, and yes, it's probably an ECU flash.

ARFF
Old 06-22-2003, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. Can this only be done by a dealer? I didcomplain before and they told me witout written proof to they would not help me. Thanks thought. Kinda makes you wanna buy a Honda- but the Max is soo sweet though (;
Old 06-22-2003, 12:42 PM

YEah, the dealer has a special system (consult II) that does the "flashing."

The written proof is in their computer from when you brought it in for service the last few times and they told you it was a gas cap. If they didn't run any tickets on it or no paperwork, I'd bring it up with the service manager then the gm...make a stink, but be polite and firm.

Good luck.

JP
Old 06-22-2003, 01:01 PM

Hi,

I made a not so plite stink and they told me f off basically. They said because I dont use them for service no deal! Just found out all autozones check them out for free! Dealer wanted $100. Headin over now. How do you know so much about them? If you are a real expert and want to give me a buzz my # is 973 219-4894- your help is appreciated thanks man.

Dave
Old 06-22-2003, 01:09 PM

I wouldn't say I'm an expert! I've just had good and bad exp. w/ dealers.

Autozone will only tell you what the code is for and then try to sell you a new o2 sensor again. I bet you really need the ECU flash...it fixes something with the o2 sensors and causing a CEL.

I would try another dealer. Maybe offer your dealer a half hour of labor (37.50) for the updated software.

JP
Old 06-22-2003, 06:18 PM

Thanks...

I have since read a TSB that says code P0420 what Im getting now means I need a reflash. Hopefully no ill effects were had on the Cat.

Originally posted by saxdogg
I wouldn't say I'm an expert! I've just had good and bad exp. w/ dealers.

Autozone will only tell you what the code is for and then try to sell you a new o2 sensor again. I bet you really need the ECU flash...it fixes something with the o2 sensors and causing a CEL.

I would try another dealer. Maybe offer your dealer a half hour of labor (37.50) for the updated software.

JP
Old 06-22-2003, 06:21 PM

Anyone know what bank 1 Sensor 1 means. Is it the front (Radiator Side) passangers side (in the exhaust manifold?) 02 sensor on the 01 Max. There are 4 sensors...CA Emmisions... so where is bank 1 sensor 1?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:10 AM

I wish I had answers, but I have the same problem. Light came on 2 weeks ago. Went to AutoZone and they checked it for me. 02 sensor. He deleted the code and light went off. Told me if it came back on, to check it again, if the same code comes on, then need to replace O2 sensor. Light came on this weekend. Haven't been able to go back, but if it is O2 sensor, how does one fix it? I'm afraid to go to dealer. When I first bought the car, they told me that light might come on (gas cap), and if it does they charge $50 just to reset. Imagine if they have to do any actual work!!! #@*^% them!!!
Any write ups on O2 sensor problems and solutions?

Thanks

sorry for long read
Old 06-23-2003, 07:47 AM
Maxima Pilot

Hay Max 01...if the dealer told you to fluck off

all you need to do is call Nissan Customer Service and let them have at it...whether you serviced your vehicle there at that dealer or not, if you took the car into them several times before the warranty expired and the problem was not solved, Nissan still is responsible for the fix.

You can firmly (but nicely, now) ask Nissan Customer service that you would like to use another dealership -sice you've no faith that the first dealership will make it right) and you would like them to intercede by either making the appointment or sending you a nice letter/fax to use as a 'presentation' letter

BTW, Moss-Magnusson expressly forbids any car manufacturer or dealer holding any customer 'hostage' for any warranty claim, saying things such as "well, the warranty is void because you did not bring the car in for service or tuneups here" or "yes, the engine blew, but because u were changing the oil at Jiffy Lube we cannot be sure what oil was actually in the car.." etc etc unless said service is being provided absolutely free of charge

So, you can try the first dealer one more time...I would call the Service Manager, describe the predicament, mention the fact that his attitude places him in violation of the Moss-Magnusson act and tell him u are 15 minutes away from filing a formal complain with Nissan Customer Service...let's see what happens...
Old 06-23-2003, 07:54 AM

I have haggled and one dealer said they would flash my ecu for $70. That seems reasonalbe. A lot better than the $168 quoted. Anyway, looks like I replaced the wrong sensor. The local guy told me sensor 1 bank one was the front one coming out of the exhaust, turns out the bank one is toward the firewall. Live and learn but with 51k, I could use a fresh sensor anyway. (my rationel to keep me sane! do you know how many 6 packs I could have bought with that $140!) Anyway thanks everyone for the great advice.

Dave
Old 06-27-2003, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by scorpiao
I wish I had answers, but I have the same problem. Light came on 2 weeks ago. Went to AutoZone and they checked it for me. 02 sensor. He deleted the code and light went off. Told me if it came back on, to check it again, if the same code comes on, then need to replace O2 sensor. Light came on this weekend. Haven't been able to go back, but if it is O2 sensor, how does one fix it? I'm afraid to go to dealer. When I first bought the car, they told me that light might come on (gas cap), and if it does they charge $50 just to reset. Imagine if they have to do any actual work!!! #@*^% them!!!
Any write ups on O2 sensor problems and solutions?

Thanks

sorry for long read
You have to replace the 02 but only if it needs it. Typically on the Maximas you just need a reflash. See, the ECU or computer is designed to screw up after 40k so that "we" working people are forced to bring it into the dealer where they can rob us blind. Regular shops do not have the right equiptment/software for the job. A reflash should solve it. I learned the hard way, just replaced the wrong sensor- light back on. There are 4 in the car. Hint bank 1 is in the BACK toward the firewall. My mechanic screwed me- $140.00 non returnable part. Always buy stock though.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:49 AM
MDC
Newbie - Just Registered

In general, the O2 sensors only detect problems. They trigger the "check engine light" and are not usually the cause. For some reason, most mechanics don't even look for the cause and start changing sensors automatically.