5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAX SE handling is very good

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 02:56 PM

MAX SE handling is very good

We took a trip from Atlanta to the North Carolina mountains this past weekend and my wife out voted me on the choice of car to take Anyway, she wanted to take the Max instead of my EVO... I was not too happy because the drive was along some of the most challenging twisties in the US... I thought that the Max would not be any fun, etc.

Anyway, we went on and my wife drove to Andrews, NC along highway 19. The car did remarkably well. I then drove it the rest of the way from Andrews to Robbinsville and then to Asheville... I don't know why I was surprised. After all I specified the Max exactly as I wanted it, SE package, 6 speed, limited slip diff... I was really very pleasantly surprised. The Max handled the twisties beautifully . There is almost no body lean to speak of and the handling appeared to be very neutral. It did not plow and understeered and the rear end never threatened to come around either. Granted, I drove the speed limit, but if anybody is familiar with those roads, you know the speed limit can be much higher than can be safely driven by the average person in even a good handling car. This was also with 4 people in the car and a trunk full of luggage (gotta love that 3.5 Lt. V6).
Well, next time I take the EVO and I go alone but the Max proved to be quite the nice car for these types of trips...
Old 06-23-2003, 03:02 PM
BiggD23

I disagree with just about everything you said about the handling of a 2k3 SE. I've had mine for about 3-4 months now and I can't wait to get a RSB installed and have the car lowered because I hate the way it takes corners. For the past 3 years I drove a 2001 Grand Am GT...not nearly as quick or fast as the Max but it handled way better. IMO the stock 2k3 Max needs some suspension mods before you can say the handling is very good. Just my $.02.

Old 06-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maxima handles like a boat w/out mods
Old 06-23-2003, 03:15 PM

I noticed a dramatic improvement with a FSTB and RSB. Before that it used to feel like you were floating around curves.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:19 PM

Re: MAX SE handling is very good

Originally posted by 03maximum
We took a trip from Atlanta to the North Carolina mountains this past weekend and my wife out voted me on the choice of car to take Anyway, she wanted to take the Max instead of my EVO... I was not too happy because the drive was along some of the most challenging twisties in the US... I thought that the Max would not be any fun, etc.

Anyway, we went on and my wife drove to Andrews, NC along highway 19. The car did remarkably well. I then drove it the rest of the way from Andrews to Robbinsville and then to Asheville... I don't know why I was surprised. After all I specified the Max exactly as I wanted it, SE package, 6 speed, limited slip diff... I was really very pleasantly surprised. The Max handled the twisties beautifully . There is almost no body lean to speak of and the handling appeared to be very neutral. It did not plow and understeered and the rear end never threatened to come around either. Granted, I drove the speed limit, but if anybody is familiar with those roads, you know the speed limit can be much higher than can be safely driven by the average person in even a good handling car. This was also with 4 people in the car and a trunk full of luggage (gotta love that 3.5 Lt. V6).
Well, next time I take the EVO and I go alone but the Max proved to be quite the nice car for these types of trips...
With the limited slip diferential and 4 adults and a trunk full of
shyt ur talking about a diff car than i know- taking corners
is like an old roller coaster-u know withe the wooden tracks- like
the car is bout to fly off the freggin track- the FSTB helped
but I'm in need Of RSB badly- that rear beam axle is ALIVE!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 03:22 PM

Re: Re: MAX SE handling is very good

Originally posted by MannyNJ2k2max

With the limited slip diferential and 4 adults and a trunk full of
shyt ur talking about a diff car than i know- taking corners
is like an old roller coaster-u know withe the wooden tracks- like
the car is bout to fly off the freggin track- the FSTB helped
but I'm in need Of RSB badly- that rear beam axle is ALIVE!!!
Wait I'm not done yet- Its like drivin' a FWD pickup truck
in the snow with the bed empty- I'm bout to start sand baggin'
my shyt / so it looks dropped- now thats getto
Old 06-23-2003, 03:54 PM

I can't wait to lower and get a RSB, although my FSTB did make a difference. If youre looking for better handeling you have the option of just taking out your Evo...Lucky bastard
Old 06-23-2003, 04:08 PM
trey

What you guys don't like having a boat and a car in one?

Old 06-23-2003, 04:19 PM

Re: MAX SE handling is very good

This was also with 4 people in the car and a trunk full of luggage (gotta love that 3.5 Lt. V6)....
So he was lowered, that explains it
Old 06-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Project Ruby......

My mom's '02 automatic is horrible. I wish my parents were into modding. Well my dad is but he doesn't want to spend the money. But at least they can do is get a FSTB and RSB. I live in TN about 15 minutes from "The Dragon" so the roads are pretty damn curving around where I live.

I got to take my mom's Max one day to pick up my girlfriend and take her to the movies. Of course I have to take a back road to get to her house and it's fairly curvy with some dips and doodles.

I pushed the Max fairly hard on the way to her house. It definetly needs a drop and a FSTB and RSB. My lord was it horrible. If I was in my POS '91 Eclipse 5-Spd I could have kept up. The cars *** would felt like it would lift off the ground. Float over any little hill that was in a curve. I backed off because I thought I was going to wreck the thing if I kept going.

Oh well, like spta said you were lowered because you had 4 other people in the car, that's why it felt so good .
Old 06-23-2003, 05:11 PM

Yeah.. I'd have to say that I really cant stand driving my parents 2k2 on anything but a straightaway. (In terms of spirited driving) Comparing it to my modded 4th gen it handles like total a$$, when driving on the highway it feels like the car is floating and I'm far from confident taking offramps at relativly high speeds.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:34 PM

My 4th gen handled worse than a MAC truck stock... FSTB stiffened up the front, RSB stiffened up the rear (A LOT) and Sprints/AGX and now i find myself speeding consistently... Limiting factor now is the tires... Goodyear Eagle GA's... Soon to be some sticky 18" tire 225/40/18 (anybody got some FS hit me up!)
Old 06-23-2003, 06:48 PM

After this weekend, I've finally decided that I HATE the way my '03 SE handles and that it's time for some mods. I'm getting an FSTB and RSB in the next 10 days without question. It's pathetic that this car feels like it's about to flip over on turns.

I'm fed up. It's time to mod
Old 06-23-2003, 07:10 PM

It's all about what you're comparing it to...if you drove an old beater for years, then the max's handling is quite awesome.

JP
Old 06-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Kid

Originally posted by saxdogg
It's all about what you're comparing it to...if you drove an old beater for years, then the max's handling is quite awesome.

JP
Exactly! before I bought my '03 SE, most people I talked to and most reviews had labeled the SE a harsh ride because of the "stiff" suspension. Bulls#it. I had an '01 Impala LS before the Max and the Impala - stock, handled better than the Max. My wife's Sentra 2.5 LE is a f#king road hugger compared to my Max. Sticks to the ground like glue.

Bottom line, to really take advantage of the VQ35, the Max needs that FSTB and RSB. Without these, it's a speedboat. Unless, like saxdogg says, you drove an old beater before it.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks kid...yeah, my stock se is loads better than my old beater (and the wife's old cavalier).

I still can't stop thinking about that fstb and rsb though..

JP
Old 06-23-2003, 08:53 PM

Why did all of you people buy Maximas if they are such foul handling pieces of ****? Go get your dads 65' Eldorado and see if you can really keep up with me in my stock 2K2 6spd "Land Slug" Talk about pack mentality!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:45 PM

for about 700 dollars, you can get the maxima to be a good handler. get some springs, some struts, some shocks, some bars, and you're all set

I love how my car handles and its still comfortable
Old 06-24-2003, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by SEturner
Why did all of you people buy Maximas if they are such foul handling pieces of ****?
I ask myself that same question all the time..
Old 06-24-2003, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by MaxSE03

I ask myself that same question all the time..
Same here. I'm with you on that one ?

bob
Old 06-24-2003, 05:42 AM

I agree and feel that the Max DOES handle well for a STOCK sedan. I used to own cars with modified suspensions for the past 12 years and I can appreciate the way this car handles from the factory. I know it doesn't handle like a Z but it doesn't do too bad...
Old 06-24-2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by GMoney
I agree and feel that the Max DOES handle well for a STOCK sedan. I used to own cars with modified suspensions for the past 12 years and I can appreciate the way this car handles from the factory. I know it doesn't handle like a Z but it doesn't do too bad...
True- Its just thats most of us are speed freaks and wish we had a
sport tuned suspension to go with that power- anyway for $23,900-
255hp/6 speed- I'll have plenty of $$$ to mod mine up the way I like it
Old 06-24-2003, 06:57 AM

You're juss trying to tell us, while not being off topic, that you have the Evo VIII.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:59 AM
BiggD23

Why did all of you people buy Maximas if they are such foul handling pieces of ****? Go get your dads 65' Eldorado and see if you can really keep up with me in my stock 2K2 6spd "Land Slug" Talk about pack mentality!
Because for the price you can't beat the power and the build of the car. Does that mean we have to pretend to like the handling? No. The stock handling definitely leaves something to be desired, that's all we were saying. Like 2001SE said, it's easy enough to save up a little dough and do a few mods to make it feel like a whole different car. I'd rather do this than buy an underpowered car that handles great and then try to figure out how to get it to keep up with a Max.

Old 06-24-2003, 06:59 AM

I don't think anyone said Maximas were "foul handling pieces of ****." But shouldn't the Maxima handle as well as a stock Accord? (Sorry I used the "A" word) My 96 V-6 Accord handled the twisties like a dream, though it lacked true grip, it was always composed, something my Max is definitely not. Where an Accord is sure footed and planted, a Maxima is floaty and uncontrolled. The Accord communicates its limits well, the Max may surprise you. I do however, prefer the way the Max handles straight-line freeway driving, something I do a lot of, it's more relaxing to drive and not as darty. If Nissan had stuck with the IRS of the third gen instead of switching to that beam axle, we would not be having this conversation. Because most Maxima owners are not the moddin’ type, the inferior setup does matter to us, no all of us are willing to replace the suspension setup in our brand new car to get Accord-level handling. You can look at the two setups and tell the beam axle is MUCH less expensive to produce, certainly the reason it’s used.

I don’t know about you guys, but the cars not-so-fabulous handling characteristics were not that apparent during my test drive. You realize it after you live with the car a while.

But to the Maxima’s defense…..I bought my car for the great bang-for-buck it offers. It's a good looking car, will last a long time, freakin' screams when needed, and has a nice interior, even if it does handle just so-so compared to its competition. All things I am happy to live with. I'd buy it again.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Todds_max
I don't think anyone said Maximas were "foul handling pieces of ****." But shouldn't the Maxima handle as well as a stock Accord? (Sorry I used the "A" word) My 96 V-6 Accord handled the twisties like a dream, though it lacked true grip, it was always composed, something my Max is definitely not. Where an Accord is sure footed and planted, a Maxima is floaty and uncontrolled. The Accord communicates its limits well, the Max may surprise you. I do however, prefer the way the Max handles straight-line freeway driving, something I do a lot of, it's more relaxing to drive and not as darty. If Nissan had stuck with the IRS of the third gen instead of switching to that beam axle, we would not be having this conversation. Because most Maxima owners are not the moddin’ type, the inferior setup does matter to us, no all of us are willing to replace the suspension setup in our brand new car to get Accord-level handling. You can look at the two setups and tell the beam axle is MUCH less expensive to produce, certainly the reason it’s used.

I don’t know about you guys, but the cars not-so-fabulous handling characteristics were not that apparent during my test drive. You realize it after you live with the car a while.

But to the Maxima’s defense…..I bought my car for the great bang-for-buck it offers. It's a good looking car, will last a long time, freakin' screams when needed, and has a nice interior, even if it does handle just so-so compared to its competition. All things I am happy to live with. I'd buy it again.
So did the 04' MAX fix the handling situation? The problem with our cars is the rear beam axle(ancient) for a car with alot oh HP FWD-
this car car needed independent rears- anyway Maximas were never
Known for handling- 4th gens just as bad- Still love my MAX to death
Old 06-24-2003, 07:43 AM

I like the way my SE handles (6 sp / LSD), it's a nice comfortable ride. I didn't buy it to take twisties. That's why I kept my Talon TSi, that thing is on rails (+ turbo it rocks), but the ride is harsh. When I want twisties, I take the talon. When I want comfort, I take the max.

If you want a car to stick like glue, I'm sorry, but you have no choice but to harsh the ride. everything has trade-offs.

Lets face it, the maxima is a 4 door. The motor-heads I grew up with would never DREAM of modding a 4 door sedan. The body itself is going to make it handle like crap, it twists more. I'm reminded of that every time I jack the Max up, when I open and shut a door, I can hear it's out of alignment because of the body twist. On my talon though, I can jack an entire side up from just behind the front tire so both wheels are off the ground, and the door opens and shuts as if it were on the ground, that's a stiff body.

And the rear suspension on a max, OMG, it's 1950s technology. I don't care what steps you take to mod the rear, the geometry is ALWAYS going to be wrong as soon as the car starts to take a corner. I'm sure a RSB helps a ton, but it will never match an indepnedant system.

First time I yanked a tire on the front of my Max, my heart sunk when I saw the front suspension. A single control arm and a strut!!!!???? I don't care how much you mod the front suspension, you can't polish a turd.... Again, handling geometry is ALWAYS going to be wrong in a corner.

But hey, we're talking about a 4 door sedan here, that's what I expect. Reliable, comfortable, no rattles, it's sweet.

I have to agree with the guy that started this thread, considering everything, the maxima SE is the best of both worlds, stiffer than a typical 4 door sedan, but not so stiff as to make it uncomfortable.

I still think it's cool that folks try to better their ride. The max has so many other things to offer, it's not surprising that sports car enthusiests buy these and try to make them better. If you really want handling though, you need a 2 door sports car with independant suspension, and conttrol arms designed to keep the tire sqaure when the suspension compresses.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Project Ruby......

I think I read this somewhere on the board, I can't remember.

For 2002 didn't Nissan swap some suspension parts on the SE to give it more of a ride like the GLE, because non-enthusiasts were complaining of a harsh ride?

I believe a 2000-01 SEs are a little stiffer in the suspension area, am I correct?

My dad's '95 Max is as bad as the '02, but it does inspire a little more confidence, except for the really light steering.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:23 AM

I've officially been bit!

I just ordered an FSTB and RSB from custommaxima.com.

No more boat for me!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anybody that says that the stock maxima handles good needs to pass the pipe. Even with 4 people in the car, which i have done plenty of time, the car handles like doodoo. When you go over a hump, the back will bounce 3 times, compared to the front that would bounce once (on stock setup). When pushing it in a corner with 4 people, the body roll is evident as well. When i had the car in stock form, i'd look in the mirror to see the people in the back, and they're leaning all over the place. 4 people in the car still doesn't lower the car and make it stiff enough to rank it as a good handling car.
I put on the FSTB ($32 including shipping) and it made a world of difference. It was much stiffer. Just put on maxspeeds 2 days ago, and now it's worthy of being ranked a good handling car.

My .02 cents.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Kid

No one here said they're "foul handling pieces of ****".

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the power that our Maximas make is no match for the stock suspension if you really want to take advantage of it, like most dudes here.

I think the 5th gen Max is a great bang for the buck car with unmatched power at that price. ($23K for my '03 SE, two months ago) All you need is a couple of hundred bucks to complete that package.

FSTB & RSB. Nissan should have offered these at least as an option. Other than that I find no fault with the car. Just my opinion, that's all.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:18 AM

While we are talking about poor handling. Ever try taking a sharp right turn at about 20mph and flooring it while coming out? All i can say is you better be holding onto the wheel with both hands. Poor weight distribution / transfer and tons of torque is a ßitch.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:26 AM

Maxima is a POS?

With all due respect, some of you guys are really a piece of work... I'm definitely not smoking crack when I say the Max handles well. I've driven tons of cars in the past and for a comfortable, 4 door sedan with luxury, the Max handled very well in the twisties of the NC mountains. I did say that I never pushed the car, if I had I might be singing a different tune, but realistically, the Max is not a sporty car, it never was meant to be. We purchased it as a comfortable, large car. We compared it with the Infinity G35 sedan, the larger Acuras, etc. We did not test drive any of the other cars in the twisties. I've not driven a late model Accord, but I had several of the older models and they were crap for handling and had no power. If I was going to push a car and drive spiritedly, I'd take my EVO. I've had Miatas, and 300ZXs, Mercedes 190E 16Valve and a variety of British roadsters. I know what a sports car can do in the twisties. If anybody bought a Max for spirited driving in the twisties, you bought the wrong car.... But if you judge it for what it is, you'll have to give it good marks. The Max was very well behaved in the NC mountain roads. At no time did I feel even close to being out of control...
Old 06-24-2003, 09:33 AM
BiggD23

While we are talking about poor handling. Ever try taking a sharp right turn at about 20mph and flooring it while coming out? All i can say is you better be holding onto the wheel with both hands. Poor weight distribution / transfer and tons of torque is a ßitch.

I did that last night on a 90 degree right hand turn, gave it gas a little before I should have. Scared the **** out of my friend in the passenger seat.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Kid

Shift_fun!
Old 06-24-2003, 10:19 AM

Re: Maxima is a POS?

With all due respect, some of you guys are really a piece of work... I'm definitely not smoking crack when I say the Max handles well. I've driven tons of cars in the past and for a comfortable, 4 door sedan with luxury, the Max handled very well in the twisties of the NC mountains. I did say that I never pushed the car, if I had I might be singing a different tune, but realistically, the Max is not a sporty car, it never was meant to be. We purchased it as a comfortable, large car. We compared it with the Infinity G35 sedan, the larger Acuras, etc. We did not test drive any of the other cars in the twisties. I've not driven a late model Accord, but I had several of the older models and they were crap for handling and had no power. If I was going to push a car and drive spiritedly, I'd take my EVO. I've had Miatas, and 300ZXs, Mercedes 190E 16Valve and a variety of British roadsters. I know what a sports car can do in the twisties. If anybody bought a Max for spirited driving in the twisties, you bought the wrong car.... But if you judge it for what it is, you'll have to give it good marks. The Max was very well behaved in the NC mountain roads. At no time did I feel even close to being out of control...

I really think that all those people/luggage in the car might actually have helped in the conering and stability of the car. I don't think they were being sarcastic when they said this.. or half joking anyways, but I would think that the extra weight helped to keep the car on the ground and even less body roll.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:52 AM

I'm not saying the car is bad, I'm just a little of a let down because it could have been better. I'm not sure what model Accord you owned, but my 96 EX V-6 as well as my buddy's 02 EX V-6 were both better handling cars overall. Certainly not as good looking or as powerful as a Maxima. If you review ANY of the popular auto magazines you will see similar comments. Accords DO set the handling standard in this class. Our 5th gen Maximas are about 1/2 step above the Accord so I expected a little more. The thing that gets me is that Nissan had it right in the 3rd gen. I owned a 90 SE and 92 SE. They were a perfect balance between comfort and handling, similar to the Accord. Nissan chose to trade that for the cost savings of the "multi-link" setup. Bad choice I think. BTW... they were definitely intended to be a sporty car. If I recall both of my 3rd gens had a little sticker on the rear door quarter window that read "4DSC". 4-door Sports Car may be a little over the top, but the car was definitely marketed as a sporty 4-door sedan.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:53 AM

Re: Re: Maxima is a POS?

Originally posted by UCF_94lude

I really think that all those people/luggage in the car might actually have helped in the conering and stability of the car. I don't think they were being sarcastic when they said this.. or half joking anyways, but I would think that the extra weight helped to keep the car on the ground and even less body roll.
Oh, I'm sure that the extra weight probably helped, but look at it this way, what would happen to an Accord or a Camry if you added all that extra weight? I'm not sure, but based on my experience with those cars, the power losses alone would have made a mess out of the handling. Also, the sports suspension of the Max is really a bit on the firm side. There are lots of threads about people complaining about the stiff ride of the Max SE.... What gives here? seems like a lot of Max owners are a confused bunch. Looks to me like half of them wanted a land yatch and the other half wanted a Lotus Europa. The Max is neither, I would compare it with another high powered, luxury, 4 door sedan. I think it would probably compare very favorably with other cars in it's class. True, an independent rear suspension would be nice, but the live axle is not the end of the world either Look at all the Mustangs with the antiquated suspensions, they can be made to handle very well. I know, I've tried keeping up with one at the track in my Miata and I had fits (of course, the driver has a huge impact, but anyway...)
It just seems odd to hear so much complaining about the Max in the Max forums...
Old 06-24-2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by BiggD23

I did that last night on a 90 degree right hand turn, gave it gas a little before I should have. Scared the **** out of my friend in the passenger seat.
I think crappy Potenzas is the major cause of this issue.
If you take corner fast and floor it and there is a bit of moisture on the ground, you start sliding like crazy. But on the dry surface I love the way my car handles.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Maxima is a POS?

Oh, I'm sure that the extra weight probably helped, but look at it this way, what would happen to an Accord or a Camry if you added all that extra weight? I'm not sure, but based on my experience with those cars, the power losses alone would have made a mess out of the handling. Also, the sports suspension of the Max is really a bit on the firm side. There are lots of threads about people complaining about the stiff ride of the Max SE.... What gives here? seems like a lot of Max owners are a confused bunch. Looks to me like half of them wanted a land yatch and the other half wanted a Lotus Europa. The Max is neither, I would compare it with another high powered, luxury, 4 door sedan. I think it would probably compare very favorably with other cars in it's class. True, an independent rear suspension would be nice, but the live axle is not the end of the world either Look at all the Mustangs with the antiquated suspensions, they can be made to handle very well. I know, I've tried keeping up with one at the track in my Miata and I had fits (of course, the driver has a huge impact, but anyway...)
It just seems odd to hear so much complaining about the Max in the Max forums...
What's your problem? Why can't you have your opinion about the Maxima's excellent handling and the rest of us have ours? Because some of us don't agree with you, that makes us a confused bunch. Please....

Truth is, for what I paid for this car, I expected better handling and had no idea about the body roll and torque steer until after driving it for some time - probably after the 1000 mile break in period even.

Quick Reply: MAX SE handling is very good