5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to deal with drivers on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All I got to say is GO GO gadget Sledge hammer... I wish I had **** like that in my car
Old 06-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

its ok dude, let it go,

Someone again cut me off today and was slamming his brakes on me cuz I was tailing pretty dam close =], Of coarse I have better brakes then an old POS avenger. I think he was about 16, no older.

I let it go...He went in a lane on the left of me (I was in the fast lane on a freeway) and the lane he went it only operated from 6 am - 9am due to traffic, it was 6pm at the time...4 minutes later I see him pulled over by CHP giving him a ticket...

All I did was wave and give him a thumbs up. Lets just say he wasnt a happy camper. That is a really bad infraction..

What Im saying is, What goes around, will surely come around. Dont worry.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:50 PM

I love sunday drivers during rush hour traffic...

What you need to do is get your license to drive a semi.....watch how fast these *$#cks move out of the way!

Or, and this is my favorite, here in NYC people (especially mod fords and chevy trucks) have been getting those #%$ semi-horns...I say get this mod, pull in close, get off the throttle, then blast away....The guy in front is sure to make a mess in his pants!
Old 06-24-2003, 10:48 PM
MAKSYMALNY

I love how the viewpoint of a 16 yr old kid (coupled by the "I attended a class at the police department" statement to back it up) suddenly is supposed to be accepted as gospel.

We ALL know that driving under the speed limit is certainly not against the law... impeding traffic is impeding traffic, not impeding only YOU for your dire emergency to get around him since he wasn't going YOUR speed.

We ALL know that flashing your lights IS against the law... and your pathetic statement would get a laugh and a "let's see what else I can nail you for" from most of the cops I know. Flash your brights at a cop who is going slower than the speed limit... and then tell him you were "just trying to let him know that there is a car behind him". Hah.

We all know that slamming on your brakes isn't against the law... especially if you see a little critter or pothole that will severely damage your vehicle. In that scenario, if you were to hit him, you would rant and rave to the officer and then probably cry when he handed you a ticket for "following too closely"... "you should have been a distance away from the vehicle to be able to react better" would be what they would tell you.

Let's see here... most of the time I know of, when someone slams on their brakes, it is usually because of either a tailgater or someone harrassing them (i.e., with their brights on).

You instigated the whole thing. Don't try to get our support or pity. Next time drive respectfully...

reminds me of a stint about three weeks ago... I was headed home doing the speed limit (45 in a 45) and another 5th Gen drove up next to me, swerving a little, revving forward, and then slowing up again to line back up (the whole time we are driving)... I just laughed and pointed to my "Maxima.Org" sticker on the window... and surprisingly, the dude got the message... why screw off and embarrass yourself?

Old 06-24-2003, 11:31 PM

Maksymalny, you are my hero.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Maksymalny, you are my hero.
and mine! Well said and good advice.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY
I love how the viewpoint of a 16 yr old kid (coupled by the "I attended a class at the police department" statement to back it up) suddenly is supposed to be accepted as gospel.

We ALL know that driving under the speed limit is certainly not against the law... impeding traffic is impeding traffic, not impeding only YOU for your dire emergency to get around him since he wasn't going YOUR speed.

We ALL know that flashing your lights IS against the law... and your pathetic statement would get a laugh and a "let's see what else I can nail you for" from most of the cops I know. Flash your brights at a cop who is going slower than the speed limit... and then tell him you were "just trying to let him know that there is a car behind him". Hah.

We all know that slamming on your brakes isn't against the law... especially if you see a little critter or pothole that will severely damage your vehicle. In that scenario, if you were to hit him, you would rant and rave to the officer and then probably cry when he handed you a ticket for "following too closely"... "you should have been a distance away from the vehicle to be able to react better" would be what they would tell you.

Let's see here... most of the time I know of, when someone slams on their brakes, it is usually because of either a tailgater or someone harrassing them (i.e., with their brights on).

You instigated the whole thing. Don't try to get our support or pity. Next time drive respectfully...

reminds me of a stint about three weeks ago... I was headed home doing the speed limit (45 in a 45) and another 5th Gen drove up next to me, swerving a little, revving forward, and then slowing up again to line back up (the whole time we are driving)... I just laughed and pointed to my "Maxima.Org" sticker on the window... and surprisingly, the dude got the message... why screw off and embarrass yourself?

The Force is strong in you, Newbie. Meditate, I will, on this one.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jjames

Yeah, you might be right. This whole post remeinds me of a story.....smiley old lady cuts a guy off in traffic, takes the next exit. The guy she cut off is *****ing up a storm, cursing, pounding the wheel, etc. Buddy looks at him and says, "she ruined your day and she doesn't even know it."

Moral: no use geting ****ed off about something you'll forget about tomorrow.
I get a little PO'd from time to time but I try to let it go. When the person in front of me gets ****ed because I've flashed'em, which is one of the main reason we have hi-beams, and they start flipping me off and looking in their mirror I stay calm and continue to **** them off more. With a smile on my face I flash again or honk my Hellas and watch them ruin their own day. There is a stretch of road here where the speed limit goes from 45 to 55 and almost every time I go down it there's someone doing 40, this usually results in one of these people having a bad day weekly.

I will say the thing that really ****es me off the most is people driving slow or serving with a cell phone to their ear. GET A F'ING $10 HEAD SET OR EAR PIECE G'DAMN IT!!!
The other day I'm going south on 85 near just south of 316 in the 4th left lane. This B!TCH in a TaHOE is in the 6th left lane holding a cell to her ear talking away. As we approach Pleasant Hill she realizes her going to miss her exit and with no warning her cuts hard right across 5 F'ING lanes of traffic narrowly missing 3 cars including myself. I'm talking less than a foot!
Old 06-25-2003, 07:27 AM

We ALL know that flashing your lights IS against the law...
Since you live in Illinois and claim to know the law, here's a link to the pertinent info under Agressive Driving in the IL Secretary of State website. EXCESSIVE flashing is illegal. Flashing the lights a couple of times to wake someone up isn't. Again, note the word excessive.

http://www.sos.state.il.us/publicati...rr_chap10.html
Slamming the brakes for emergency reasons is absolutely legal, brake checking someone is not. Again, check the link above under the same heading of Agressive Driving.
Obviously, someone who does not have the common sense, experience, or even intelligence to move over just let the other driver by and get it over with.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by CCS2k1Max

Since you live in Illinois and claim to know the law, here's a link to the pertinent info under Agressive Driving in the IL Secretary of State website. EXCESSIVE flashing is illegal. Flashing the lights a couple of times to wake someone up isn't. Again, note the word excessive.

Slamming the brakes for emergency reasons is absolutely legal, brake checking someone is not. Again, check the link above under the same heading of Agressive Driving.
Obviously, someone who does not have the common sense, experience, or even intelligence to move over just let the other driver by and get it over with.

Fear is the path to the Dark side, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:04 AM

Cool, now I'm getting unsolicited shrink advise...
Old 06-25-2003, 08:09 AM
jjs

Cool, now I'm getting unsolicited shrink advise...
And spelling/grammar lessons...

it is 'advice'....

advise is a verb.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by jjs

And spelling/grammar lessons...

it is 'advice'....

advise is a verb.

Maybe spelling, but not in grammar, at least not yet...
Old 06-25-2003, 08:31 AM
meh

Ohh yeah.....those Ohio drivers suck!! Lol, I live in Michigan, and when we go to Norwalk ( a track in Ohio) when you cross the border it's instantly recognizable that it's a whole 'nother place.
Michigan = mini-van moms doing 90 in the fast lane, mostly quick-paced traffic action...

Ohio = Everyone doing 70 in the fast lane, while right lane paces them, derrr.....lookee, we're drivin'!

Originally posted by badabing
Ever drive in Ohio? Damn...if that alone isn't reason enough to give you road rage! They don't look when they merge and they don't get out of the way if you want to pass - it's unbelievable. My friend in Florida says that even the old fogeys down there laugh at Ohio drivers - and he's from Ohio!

Edit: No offense to any Ohio drivers, if any here....of course I'm not including you!
Old 06-25-2003, 08:52 AM
jjs

Maybe spelling, but not in grammar, at least not yet...
Crap, chill dude! Just having a little fun.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:56 AM

Me too! (ooh, is this grammatically correct, or is it I am too?)
Old 06-25-2003, 10:32 AM

Me too! (ooh, is this grammatically correct, or is it I am too?)
Well, to be PRECISE, the grammatically correct way to state it is "Me, too!"
Old 06-25-2003, 12:42 PM

haha THANK YOU VERY MUCH CCS2k1Max! I knew I was right about what I had heard, but for some reason he thought he was right because he has 'cop friends,' so I decided to be the bigger man and leave him alone. Thanks man!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:06 PM
MAKSYMALNY

I see you do your homework... good! You've renewed my faith in the young(er) generation...

Look, you can quote the law, I can quote the law. "Aggressive Driving" would have been defined as what YOU did, buddy. First you (1) tailgated, then (2) reacted to his braking by flashing your high beams... any police officer that would have been witness to this would have pulled YOU over and ticketed YOU.

You refuse to recognize your errors!

You want to try to justify your high beam action by falling upon one word... 'excessive' flashing. Hmmmm. I believe that would, again, not be up to YOUR perspective or interpretation of the law, but of the police officer or trooper who is trained and enforces the law every day. I'm putting my money on the fact that the trooper/cop would, again, interpret your actions as "excessive".

"Brake checking" is defined by law, yes. However... we are back to the interpretation issue again. If an officer saw you speeding up behind a driver, tailgating the driver, seeing the driver do a 'brake check' and then your high beam action... again, YOU would be pulled over and ticketed, and the officer wouldn't interpret the action as a 'brake check'.

Besides... if the officer pulled the other driver over, who's to say that he doesn't testify to seeing a critter in the road, or checking his speed in the zone, etc. Chances are, the worst case scenario is the officer warning the driver and the driver happily driving away as he tickets YOU for whatever (following too close, illegal use of headlights, aggressive driving - which is different than careless or reckless)...

It all sums up in your last statement... "to move over just let the other drive by and 'get it over with'".

Ahhh, grasshopper. You have SOOOOO much to learn.

Old 06-25-2003, 01:10 PM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by badabing

The Force is strong in you, Newbie. Meditate, I will, on this one.
Ahhh, badabing... I'm not so much the 'newbie' you think I am.

Like a Phoenix, I am reborn from the ashes.

Old 06-25-2003, 01:27 PM

Re: How to deal with drivers on the road...

[i] Its times like these I think they need a Zach lane on every street that only I can travel on, like the HOV lane...

Maybe I'll sell the max and buy a POS and just ram myself into cars when they mess around...hmm.... [/B]
I feel you. I get ****ed off everyday I drive to work and people decide to drive slower than the speed limit or merge slow as $$$$! onto the freeway. Then again I am not a perfect driver myself so I know I must **** off other drivers. One thing that I absolutely would not tolerate is someone trying to run me off the road or try to hit my car with there car on purpose. Even stupid drivers slamming the brakes on purpose when you are behind them. Thats plain stupid. I commend you for not letting this dumbass get to you too much, cause if it would have been me lord know what I would have done to him or he would have done to me. If this were to ever happend to me, I pray that I will chill out and ignore the a-hole because there is an old saying I am sure everyone is familiar with..."It's just not worth it."
Old 06-25-2003, 01:44 PM

I see you do your homework... good! You've renewed my faith in the young(er) generation...

Look, you can quote the law, I can quote the law. "Aggressive Driving" would have been defined as what YOU did, buddy. First you (1) tailgated, then (2) reacted to his braking by flashing your high beams... any police officer that would have been witness to this would have pulled YOU over and ticketed YOU.

You refuse to recognize your errors!

You want to try to justify your high beam action by falling upon one word... 'excessive' flashing. Hmmmm. I believe that would, again, not be up to YOUR perspective or interpretation of the law, but of the police officer or trooper who is trained and enforces the law every day. I'm putting my money on the fact that the trooper/cop would, again, interpret your actions as "excessive".

"Brake checking" is defined by law, yes. However... we are back to the interpretation issue again. If an officer saw you speeding up behind a driver, tailgating the driver, seeing the driver do a 'brake check' and then your high beam action... again, YOU would be pulled over and ticketed, and the officer wouldn't interpret the action as a 'brake check'.

Besides... if the officer pulled the other driver over, who's to say that he doesn't testify to seeing a critter in the road, or checking his speed in the zone, etc. Chances are, the worst case scenario is the officer warning the driver and the driver happily driving away as he tickets YOU for whatever (following too close, illegal use of headlights, aggressive driving - which is different than careless or reckless)...

It all sums up in your last statement... "to move over just let the other drive by and 'get it over with'".

Ahhh, grasshopper. You have SOOOOO much to learn.
Read my first post. Perception is written somewhere in there. In a perfect world people would not have to tailgate, brake check or have to flash their lights to get others' attention. If on the interstate I were to approach someone and then hang back 3-5 car lengths, most of these clueless drivers would think to themselves "He does not want to pass. He's hanging back there..." In Illinois there are signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and they apply to everyone. They don't say "Slow", they say "Slower." The choices to pass these slower drivers that could care less about keeping right are then to first get closer, then flash the lights, or worse, as a last resort, to pass them on the right and, if it's tight, cut them off. I have done all of these but it could have been so much more simple and safe if the other "driver" would have moved over in the first place.

When someone comes up to me driving faster, I just yield the right of way. I don't use the mentality and think "I'm driving fast enough, he can pass me if he wants". It's that kind of mentality that endangers all those around by forcing a pass on the right side (mind you, "the blind side") or worse some kind of retaliation (which I am happy to say I have never done).

As for the cops, they'll do anything to raise funds in this soft economy; your perception/interpretation is spot on. That said, you worry about your end and let me worry about mine.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:15 PM
MAKSYMALNY

You know, I was first starting to agree with you... you are preaching to the choir with the whole "perfect world" thing and approaching someone on the Interstate and clueless drivers getting a clue bit. I drove in Germany on the Autobahn for 8 months... trust me, I miss it dearly. In Germany, they actually teach their drivers to DRIVE, not to "dilly dally" or use a cell phone or apply makeup or read a paper, etc. And their drivers are passionate about DRIVING.

However, you lost me immediately with the whole "... pass them on the right and, if it's tight, cut them off." With this statement, you have immediately identified the type and style of driver that you are. "Cut them off"... and you're the one trying to quote the law to me? Come on... "cut them off"... hmmmm... didn't you just talk about "aggressive driving"?

If this was the A-Bahn, we'd all enjoy approaching in the fast lane, seeing the other driver move over (actually, the left lane is meant to ALWAYS stay open for passers)... and you're on your way. But this is the US... where stupid drivers breed like rabbits. Deal with it. Approach on the left, flash your lights for attention, but when they get mad or 'brake check'... pass them in the middle or right lane, and chalk it up to a major a$$hole driver... don't participate in road rage... it WILL catch up to you one day.

You yield the right of way? Good for you... although I think that you are one of the type that would speed up and say "I'm not going to let them in".

"Cut them off".... LOL.... PLEASE!

Old 06-25-2003, 02:47 PM

You know, I was first starting to agree with you... you are preaching to the choir with the whole "perfect world" thing and approaching someone on the Interstate and clueless drivers getting a clue bit. I drove in Germany on the Autobahn for 8 months... trust me, I miss it dearly. In Germany, they actually teach their drivers to DRIVE, not to "dilly dally" or use a cell phone or apply makeup or read a paper, etc. And their drivers are passionate about DRIVING.
I miss the European motorways too. BTW, I am passionate about driving too.
However,
Isn't however just a fancy "but"? I'm sure you're going to claim you've never passed on the right and then cut into the left lane? Your drives must be rather boring waiting for lousy drivers to let you by...
...although I think that you are one of the type that would speed up and say "I'm not going to let them in".
See, that comment was unnecessary. Do these kind of comments edify the discussion? Not too becoming for an Officer, is it? In the future, please refrain to fact and not conjecture or speculation to conduct personal attacks. It deminishes the discussion and brings about rage, just as it does on the road...
Old 06-25-2003, 04:45 PM

What makes me extremly mad is when i am crusing along at around 40-45 MPH and someone cuts me off. But instead of just pushing their gas pedel down, they CRAWL out in front out me, making me have to slam on the breakes to aviod rear ending thier dumb ***. This makes me so mad so all i can do is hold down the horn for like a good 20 seconds. I dont see why people are so damn afraid to use the gas pedel, i mean its there for a REASON! Sometimes i just want to pass them, it would probely be safer as long as no one was coming in the other lane. I dont cut people off often but if i do i make damn sure to floor it so they wont even need to touch thier breaks. Does this ever happen to anyone else?
Old 06-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Moderator GT-R

...See, that comment was unnecessary. Do these kind of comments edify the discussion? Not too becoming for an Officer, is it? In the future, please refrain to fact and not conjecture or speculation to conduct personal attacks. It deminishes the discussion and brings about rage, just as it does on the road...
Would you like to edit or retract this paragraph before I grade it?
Old 06-25-2003, 06:24 PM
trey

Just happened to swear at a women today for driving waaaaaaay to slow, she turned out ot be pysco!! she did a u turn and chased me. She cut in front of me and locked up the brakes! i slammed on mine (the abs going crazy) and just missed her.

So i did a u turn in the middle of a busy road and punched it! well good bye grand am and crazy lady! ahah

Old 06-25-2003, 06:29 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by KiLLeR2002se
its ok dude, let it go,

Someone again cut me off today and was slamming his brakes on me cuz I was tailing pretty dam close =], Of coarse I have better brakes then an old POS avenger...
Have you ever been tailgating a Maxima when the driver dropped it into 2nd gear and sidestepped the clutch? The damn thing will slow down like a tail-hook landing and NO BRAKE LIGHTS!

This is an advanced skill and I don't recommend it. I would encourage some judicious pilot shaft speed matching before 'sidestepping' the clutch. Unless you actually want the tailgater to hit you, be prepared to stand on the throttle once the desired effect has been achieved.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:41 PM

ZooM
Old 06-25-2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx

Would you like to edit or retract this paragraph before I grade it?
Be my guest, but you may get the three finger salute too...

(Woo hoo. I'm doing well today. I've managed to **** off two English teacher wannabes, an aspiring shrink/philosopher and a Walter Mitty impersonator... )
Old 06-25-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by trey
she turned out ot be pysco!!
But aren't they all, trey? Aren't they all?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:15 PM

I've managed to **** off two English teacher wannabes, an aspiring shrink/philosopher and a Walter Mitty impersonator... )

Look, Bish....don't *** wit Yoda, alright. Don't **** wit Yoda....

'Nuff said.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:18 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Be my guest, but you may get the three finger salute too...

(Woo hoo. I'm doing well today. I've managed to **** off two English teacher wannabes, an aspiring shrink/philosopher and a Walter Mitty impersonator... )
Dude, you kill me.

In all seriousness, it's a free country, so utilize that free will, brotha. I never said I DON'T pass in the right lane (on the contrary, it happens a LOT... this we would discuss almost forever, with so many cultures coming to the US and driving like they used to 'back home')... and that comment wasn't necessarily trying to bang on you (just defending as others have)... but I don't understand your comment of "unbecoming of an Officer"... ?

Relating to the original posting, the dude was wrong and we were trying to point out the errors in his justification.

Old 06-26-2003, 07:25 AM

Relating to the original posting, the dude was wrong and we were trying to point out the errors in his justification.
Yes he was wrong, but so was the brake check guy. We agree on most everything. The bottom of us highjacking this thread was your wrong statement regarding what is lawful and what was not (but you're right, the judges believe the cops stories every time). They were both in the wrong.

I'm sure you have your reasons for the new monicker. Just disregard the officer comment.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:42 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Man, you are something else.

My statement regarding what is lawful was not incorrect... it isn't against the law to hit your brakes... you point out 'brake check', yes, but it is up to perception. We're both RIGHT.

My statement regarding traveling slower than the speed limit being within the law is correct.

My statement regarding hitting your brights being against the law is correct. You try to point out "excessive" but let's face it... being in a hurry and flashing your brights is excessive, don't you think?

And as far as the new monicker... and the officer comment, are you referring to law enforcement or military?

Old 06-26-2003, 07:52 AM

okay you are both right. it just depends on how severe each "violation" (or non-violation)was.

if he tapped his breaks then that is not illegal. if he slammed on the breaks then it is.

if he was going 30 in a 35 that is not illegal. if he was gong 10 in a 35 then that would probably been seen as dangerous, and thus being illegal.

we all flash our high beams for some reason or another. while he may have only flashed a couple of times, the manner in which he was doing it could still deem it "excessive". its totally a matter of the interpretation of the situation.

so basically, both of you have valid arguements and none of us are able to say what was right and what was wrong without seeing it (and without any bias). lets put this to rest.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Newman
lets put this to rest.
Amen. It is all about interpretation or perception.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:16 AM

Amen. It is all about interpretation or perception.

And your blatant lies.

j/k
Old 06-26-2003, 08:20 AM

bla bla bla blabbing badabin'...

j/k too!
Old 06-26-2003, 08:22 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Yes he was wrong, but so was the brake check guy. We agree on most everything. The bottom of us highjacking this thread was your wrong statement regarding what is lawful and what was not (but you're right, the judges believe the cops stories every time). They were both in the wrong.

I'm sure you have your reasons for the new monicker. Just disregard the officer comment.
You still didn't answer my question about the whole 'monicker' and 'officer' comment.

Were you talking about law enforcement, or military?

Quick Reply: How to deal with drivers on the road...