5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

E-brake boot issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 12:59 PM

E-brake boot issue

So i've got the new momo-carbon brake handle, looks great but the boot is a nasty fit. Im resorting to gluing velcro strips around the e-brake slot just to get the boot to stay. However, i got curious and tried taking out the rubber fitting around the base of the handle and now can't put it back properly. There are little stubs on the underside of the plastic center console which the rubber piece snaps onto. This is a problem because the e-brake will sometimes tug onto the loose rubber fitting and pull it down into the slot making it impossible to fully disengage the brake. Bleh It appears the only way i can get it to fit is to take the whole console out... Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: E-brake boot issue

Originally posted by NoMotive
So i've got the new momo-carbon brake handle, looks great but the boot is a nasty fit. Im resorting to gluing velcro strips around the e-brake slot just to get the boot to stay. However, i got curious and tried taking out the rubber fitting around the base of the handle and now can't put it back properly. There are little stubs on the underside of the plastic center console which the rubber piece snaps onto. This is a problem because the e-brake will sometimes tug onto the loose rubber fitting and pull it down into the slot making it impossible to fully disengage the brake. Bleh It appears the only way i can get it to fit is to take the whole console out... Any suggestions?
Yeah...you are sorta in trouble. Youll have to pull the whole center panel out to try and fix it. Trust me if you did not pull it in the first place and just yanked it out...its not going back. Get a leather ebrake boot from Eric at leatherseats.com, pull the center console and then install that instead. Its not going to be worth your time to reinstall that plastic boot.

Basically when you yanked it off, it shears the tops off so the rubber one will not "stay" in place. Trust me...experience.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:25 PM

Re: Re: E-brake boot issue

Originally posted by Colonel

Yeah...you are sorta in trouble. Youll have to pull the whole center panel out to try and fix it. Trust me if you did not pull it in the first place and just yanked it out...its not going back. Get a leather ebrake boot from Eric at leatherseats.com, pull the center console and then install that instead. Its not going to be worth your time to reinstall that plastic boot.

Basically when you yanked it off, it shears the tops off so the rubber one will not "stay" in place. Trust me...experience.
oh woe is me. That is the last time i fiddle with something that im not sure will fit back.