5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pacesetter STS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 08:29 AM

Pacesetter STS

I just recently installed a pacesetter on my 01 SE and let me tell you, it was a biatch. This was partly b/c I did not have the right kind of snap ring pliers. This is a must if you want to save yourself time and aggrevation. What I ended up doing was using a pry tool and just pulling and beating on the mount while it was in my vice. I almost tore the snap ring off but, thank you Jesus, I didn't. In all I am happy with it, maybe b/c I am proud of being able to install such an easy mod but making it take twice as long as needed LOL. I just happy that I have a working shifter that performs great, doesn't rattle, and looks good.
End note: instead of cutting the heat shield so there would be no rubbing I just bent the hell out of it.

please tell me all of your opinions on the pacesetter (i.e. problems or just grand drunken stories of racing.) whatever
Old 06-25-2003, 08:49 AM

Re: Pacesetter STS

Hey, I just ordered the pacesetter sts and I hope I don't have as fun as you did
I have a Random technology cat and I'm wondering will I have to bend the shiznit out of that as well or does it sit lower than the stock cat?
Originally posted by Luquire
I just recently installed a pacesetter on my 01 SE and let me tell you, it was a biatch. This was partly b/c I did not have the right kind of snap ring pliers. This is a must if you want to save yourself time and aggrevation. What I ended up doing was using a pry tool and just pulling and beating on the mount while it was in my vice. I almost tore the snap ring off but, thank you Jesus, I didn't. In all I am happy with it, maybe b/c I am proud of being able to install such an easy mod but making it take twice as long as needed LOL. I just happy that I have a working shifter that performs great, doesn't rattle, and looks good.
End note: instead of cutting the heat shield so there would be no rubbing I just bent the hell out of it.

please tell me all of your opinions on the pacesetter (i.e. problems or just grand drunken stories of racing.) whatever
Old 06-25-2003, 09:11 AM

I don't think you will have to bend the cat at all. Just the heat shield above the cat. just place something in-between the heat shield and the shifter assembly (i.e. a screw driver) and bend the heat shield to where there is a gap in-between the two. after i bent the heat shield I still had about a 2-inch gap between the heat shield (the one above the cat) and the cat. The only problem i could see that would be a biatch would be if the RT cat was way bigger than the stock one, which i don't believe it is. in the directions it says that you might need to cut the heat shield if you adjus the throw to much but I think bending it works just as well. By the way I placed the ball on the shifter (after i adjusted it) to where I could see 2-3 threads (on the shifter) above the shifter ball.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:51 AM

Another fine pacesetter endorsement

Old 06-25-2003, 12:09 PM

spend a few dollars more and you could get the B&M which installs much easier
Old 06-25-2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
spend a few dollars more and you could get the B&M which installs much easier
Yeah, I was going to get the b&m but I got the pacesetter for $60US.
I'm gambling that it will work but if it doesn't I'll try to sell it, spend the extra money and get the b&m. It'll probably backfire on me and I'll end up paying more in the longrun
Old 06-25-2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Zordburg

Yeah, I was going to get the b&m but I got the pacesetter for $60US.
I'm gambling that it will work but if it doesn't I'll try to sell it, spend the extra money and get the b&m. It'll probably backfire on me and I'll end up paying more in the longrun
I really wish they made one for the 2k2-3..
Old 07-05-2003, 01:33 PM

Got Jeff to install the pacesetter STS after the clutch. Only took him about 20 minutes and no grief for me
The shifts are noticeably shorter but it is very stiff.
Looks like my gamble paid off and I got my $60 worth
Old 07-06-2003, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a ***** of a time with the pacesetter - eventually had to shave the ball down because it was too big. I'd go with the B&M if you want have the cash to spend. Much higher quality.

Mine was so stiff I couldn't shift for crap and finally . . . couldn't take it an more.

Works ok now but was the biggest POS I installed on my car to date.

Others have had no problems so maybe I got a bad one.