5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hesitation information

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 06:24 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Hesitation information

could someone tell me exactly what they feel as far as hesitation is concerned with the TSB. don't want to take the car BACK to the dealer cause then i gotta raise it again and most likely swap out the intake back to stock. does he car slow down at a certain point? at certain rpm's? i notice my car doesn't pull as hard in the lower rpm's but duh, isn't that normal? whatever. if someone could explain what they feel, then maybe i'll understand it more.

also, did anyone keep their intake (i have the injen) in there. the tsb says MAF swap, so would they see the intake and not bother with the tsb?

thanx guys
Old 06-26-2003, 06:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would definitely take out the injen.. They'll void the warranty on the maf probably for something like that.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:28 AM
NT2SHBBY

Marco...easiest way I can describe it is this...you ever stomp on the gas and the car seemlessly picks up speed? thats good..

when you stomp on the gas and the car goes no where for a sec and all of a sudden the car surges forward and kicks RPM's up?? thats the hesitation

if you plan to get it fixed, (from what I'm told the fix isn't permenant) take ur intake off, raise ur car up to stock.

I brought mine in, they said I don't have it...I am aware I have the newest MAF tho....

Old 06-26-2003, 06:35 AM

Does the hesitation fix also apply to the bucking that happens when the car is cold in first and second gear?

Also, for you MT owners, when your driving in second gear and let you up off the gas between 1500-2000 RPM's does your car buck badly as if you had tapped on the brakes? Wondering if the hesitation would fix this as well.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:35 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
Marco...easiest way I can describe it is this...you ever stomp on the gas and the car seemlessly picks up speed? thats good..

when you stomp on the gas and the car goes no where for a sec and all of a sudden the car surges forward and kicks RPM's up?? thats the hesitation

if you plan to get it fixed, (from what I'm told the fix isn't permenant) take ur intake off, raise ur car up to stock.

I brought mine in, they said I don't have it...I am aware I have the newest MAF tho....
OOOOH...that's it?!?!?...then i dont' have it...when i press my peddle, i always get immediate response. i guess what caught me off guard is the fact that at 15 mph, it's too high to be in 1st gear but too low to be in second, so if i press the gas to speed up, it just kinda picks up slowly. thought that's what people meant by hesitation, although i always saw it as low rpm, low torque and the pick up increases as i go higher on the rpm, where at 2800 i really feel the pick up. below that it lags, but again, i expected that.

maybe i just feel like the car is too perfect. it's got a build date of 10/01 and i've brought it in ONLY for the transverse link recall. i just expect something else wrong with the car. but i guess i'm lucky. anyone know of anything i should look into with a build date of 10/01?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:38 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by PoLo

OOOOH...that's it?!?!?...then i dont' have it...when i press my peddle, i always get immediate response. i guess what caught me off guard is the fact that at 15 mph, it's too high to be in 1st gear but too low to be in second, so if i press the gas to speed up, it just kinda picks up slowly. thought that's what people meant by hesitation, although i always saw it as low rpm, low torque and the pick up increases as i go higher on the rpm, where at 2800 i really feel the pick up. below that it lags, but again, i expected that.

maybe i just feel like the car is too perfect. it's got a build date of 10/01 and i've brought it in ONLY for the transverse link recall. i just expect something else wrong with the car. but i guess i'm lucky. anyone know of anything i should look into with a build date of 10/01?
sounds like ur describing tranny lag...typical and no fix

Old 06-26-2003, 06:58 AM

TSB-RECALL ?

Originally posted by PoLo

Did the Gas Peddle Stop recall-TSB apply to your VIN # ? It did my 09-01 build date car.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:59 AM

Gentelmen, you are describing a problem that I have been having as well and still haven't solved completely. Since my car is in the shop at the moment, my plans of some general maintainence to see if the problem lies there have been put on hold. See if this sounds familar:

You get up in the morning, go out to your car and start it. It starts fine and easy and you shift into reverse. After backing out of your spot, you shift into 1st and roll out. At low speed, say 15 mph, you shift into 2nd and suddenly you car bogs a bit, the stumbles as it tries to catch itself, then it fine, usually until the next morning.

It seemed to me at first that the ECM wasn't measuring the incoming air at the correct temp and therefore was making the car too rich on startup. This could still be the case, but I intend on the following:

Plug change
Thottle body clean
Replacment of Air Intake Sensor
Replacment of 02 sensors with Y-pipe install
Replace of fuel filter

I don't know if the problem lies here, but it is worth a start. Besides, most is common maintainence anyway. I would like to hear comments to see if I am way off base in my thinking or not. Thanks

BTW, this doesn't feel like tranny lag and intermitant, usually occuring when the car is cold.