5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Which is a better buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 10:22 AM
Very sound, Mike

Which is a better buy?

I'm down to two choices on the exhaust. Just from a "noise" standpoint - better being less noise. Which would be a better buy?

Pkg A) OBX Catback for $294 shipped
Pkg B) Dynomax Super Turbo 17748 + Magnaflow Tip 35168 for $135 shipped.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:25 AM
MAKSYMALNY

If you have a 2k2 or 2k3, the exhaust doesn't have to be replaced... it is actually a well designed exhaust and there isn't a whole lot of difference other than the sound.

Old 06-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Very sound, Mike

I'm replacing it because the stock cat-back was damaged during the accident. I need a cheaper alternative to the $600 cat-back from Nissan.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:40 AM
jjs

Originally posted by soundmike
I'm replacing it because the stock cat-back was damaged during the accident. I need a cheaper alternative to the $600 cat-back from Nissan.
Dude, get the full value of insurance to cover getting the car back to 'original' condition. That is what you pay premiums for. If you want to swap later, you can remove the stock and put anything you want on it, but right now get the car repaired as necessary to be stock...screw the cost.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by jjs
Dude, get the full value of insurance to cover getting the car back to 'original' condition.
The OEM costs $600, if i can get an aftermarket for $250 or less then i can keep the rest ($350) for myself and/or pay for the deductible.

Old 06-26-2003, 10:55 AM
jjs

The OEM costs $600, if i can get an aftermarket for $250 or less then i can keep the rest ($350) for myself and/or pay for the deductible.

At the risk of sounding all doom and gloom...that is insurance fraud...whether or not some shops help you do it. You are claiming $x.xx for the car repair but only applying $y.yy to it. Insurance companies are not know for liking this, unless they write a check to you directly and send you on your merry way. In that case rock on!

How are you going to 'keep' the difference if the insurance company is the one buying the exhaust system in the first place (unless again this is one of 'those' repair shops)? This of course depends on if the insurance company is paying the shop or paying directly to you. If to you, again then go for it.

Do I agree that you SHOULD be able to do this? YES. Can there be trouble with this? Could be.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Very sound, Mike

The check is written out in my name. The shop just orders whatever parts they need to fix the car up (mostly OEM). The guys there told me if i wanted aftermarket for certain items to just let them know so they won't have to order it - all i needed to do was bring the part in myself.

If this is fraud then i won't do it, doesn't make sense to save a couple hundred bucks only to get busted later on.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:16 AM
jjs

The check is written out in my name. The shop just orders whatever parts they need to fix the car up (mostly OEM). The guys there told me if i wanted aftermarket for certain items to just let them know so they won't have to order it - all i needed to do was bring the part in myself.

If this is fraud then i won't do it, doesn't make sense to save a couple hundred bucks only to get busted later on.
Sorry buddy, didn't know they check went to you.

Hey, GO FOR IT!!!!

Which shop you end up using???
Old 06-26-2003, 11:45 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by jjs

Hey, GO FOR IT!!!!
That's the question. Which route should i go for? A or B?
Old 06-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Very sound, Mike

Oh what the heck, i took the dive and went with "B". It should definitely be more silent than "A" no matter how i look at it.

Picking it up on Saturday and hoping to hear how it sounds on the car by Mid-July when the repairs are done
Old 06-26-2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by jjs

At the risk of sounding all doom and gloom...that is insurance fraud...whether or not some shops help you do it. You are claiming $x.xx for the car repair but only applying $y.yy to it. Insurance companies are not know for liking this, unless they write a check to you directly and send you on your merry way. In that case rock on!

How are you going to 'keep' the difference if the insurance company is the one buying the exhaust system in the first place (unless again this is one of 'those' repair shops)? This of course depends on if the insurance company is paying the shop or paying directly to you. If to you, again then go for it.

Do I agree that you SHOULD be able to do this? YES. Can there be trouble with this? Could be.
i dont really see it as fraud. the insurance company is paying him for his losses. he lost a $600 part. so he deserves $600 reimbursment from his insurance company. there is nothing wrong with finding a cheaper replacement.

if you total your car, the insurance company gives you money for what the car was was worth. they dont give you the money with the requirement that you have to use that money to buy an identical car of identical value. they could care less if you use the money to buy a cheaper car. same idea sort of.

but thats my view. i have no idea what the true law is. i could be wrong with my opinion.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by Newman

i dont really see it as fraud. the insurance company is paying him for his losses. he lost a $600 part. so he deserves $600 reimbursment from his insurance company. there is nothing wrong with finding a cheaper replasement.
This is absolutely correct.