5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

As my 2K Max problems seem to intensify.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2000, 04:48 AM

What exactly is being done when the dealer tells you that the "computer" needs to be replaced?

As you can see from my past posts, my engine mounts or whatever are still making noises when they are activated...a really annoying chirp, squeak, squeal whatever...both engine mounts have been replaced on 2 seperate occasions...car has made this noise since day one.

The tech who has been working on my car is totally at a loss on what is causing this noise. He contacted Nissan and they advised him to replace the computer. So......what exactly does that mean?

This will be my 3rd trip to the dealer(actually 4th as they claim they could not hear the noise the 1st time). The dealer claims it is just a noise...well I don't know what the noise is, they don't know what the noise is and apparantley Nissan doesn't know either.

If it does not get fixed this time I am comptemplating starting the first steps of returning the car under the lemon law. As far as I'm concerned if Nissan can't figure out the noise, who is to say that it isn't something safety related? Plus 7 trips to the dealer in 2 months is a little excessive for a brand new Maxima wouldn't you agree?

I would not be suprised if my recent steering wheel vibration is somehow related to all the work being done on the mounts.

In a lemon scenario(if it goes there), who would I deal with? Nissan or the dealer? I can't see how the dealer could get penalized for the piece of crap that Nissan sold them and ultimately me.....
Old 09-15-2000, 05:21 AM

Have you tried another...

Have you tried another dealership or perhaps a specialty shop as a second opinion?
Old 09-15-2000, 05:48 AM

the comp

control unit that senses sumthing to something creating the mechanism to operate. course we all knwo that already. so which computer is he talkin' about? his brain or the car? i think a mind swap for him should work.. oh u know most of the techies work outa the 4th gen handbook? not all dealerships have the 5th gen service manuals. that's probably why he won't know.
Old 09-15-2000, 05:55 AM

No not yet

My dealership is literally 2 minutes from my house...If need be I can truck about 15 miles down the road but hopefully it won't come to that. Believe me ....everyone at the dealership from the GM down knows who I am.....

After rereading the lemon laws of MA I guess it might be a strech to apply to my car as they require the defect to be a substanstial defect that would hurt the resale value of the car etc...
Old 09-15-2000, 05:57 AM

Actually

Nissan was the one who instructed the tech to replace the computer.....he doesn't know why but thats what the big boys want to do.......so.....
Old 09-15-2000, 06:01 AM

brown nose

be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal nice to them and beg them to tell the big boys to tell the techy to give you a walk through the lot and let u pick a new color.
Old 09-15-2000, 06:05 AM

Ha ha...

I WISH it was that easy
I would do that in a heartbeat but like everything else with Nissan I'm sure it would be a fight to the bitter end.....
Old 09-15-2000, 06:24 AM

Re: Ha ha...

Originally posted by jnm2kse
I WISH it was that easy
I would do that in a heartbeat but like everything else with Nissan I'm sure it would be a fight to the bitter end.....
Might not hurt to try. Now with that said, I'm gonna start noticing everything on my car. I already know both of my front door panals, rear deck, and A-piller vibrate, this might be my chance to do em in. My car is getting old only 20Kmiles..
Old 09-15-2000, 06:36 AM
Thump

Lemon Laws

Lemon Laws are mainly for safety reasons.

Old 09-15-2000, 07:14 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

bad sitch...

I feel your pain.. its hard to maintain perspective after your expectations (and price tag) were so high. I doubt you have a safety issue on your hands, if you dont count your blood pressure. I know tho, I have little things happen and I immediately think the worse. A few rattles aside, we dont have bad cars. Overall, compared to many others, our cars a built and engineered well.

As far as another.... well, who's to say you wont get one with something worse? heck, your car is new too. The only situation I could see where youd have a really bad problem is if the engine bay itself is not to spec or the frame was twisted and caused the mounts to be out of spec. Not sure thats even a possiblity, but if that were the case, a new car would be in order (and a safety issue).

First, I wouldnt live with the problem and no one should ask you to. I would let the dealer do its 'dealer' thing. However, I think its time to let another dealer see it. At this point, its like sending a steak back to the kitchen for the 5th time, not a good idea. They are obviously getting an attitude about you and the car. You dont want them just ripping through there in desperation. Also, you might just call around to some other dealers service managers (all around your state). They might have seen this before, regardless of what nissan says.

As for Lemon Law, or any law, you need documentation, every detail. Down to phone logs, rental reciepts and a log of missed work down to the minute (even if you were just 10 mins late or had to leave early to get the car). When your dealer throws their hands up, you can show how prepared you are to take it to the next level. It will give you the upper hand in demanding another car. You will prolly have to pay something to get into the new car. Thats just the way it is.. In this case, with mileage and months owned, I'd suspect you'd be out $500-750. I know, because I did the math on this with my problems. We came very close to doing this. Actually the dealer wanted $1500 because I had 6000 miles. i wasnt really to absorb that and a lawyer to press the issue would have cost me about the same.

feel free to shoot me some mail if I can relate any more about my experience that would help you.

Old 09-15-2000, 08:22 AM

Re: bad sitch...

Feel the same way about my Maxima.
Mannnnn, my front right strut mount is still not fixed.
Seariously. They ordered parts and it has been like 2 months and parts still no there.
I am driving with that creaking noise and the dealer looks like doesn't give a $hit.

Yeah that Lemon law thing is very hard to qualify for.
I am in MA too, and I was thinking of trying Lemon law, but you will probably spend more of you time and energy for nothing.

Bottom line, I never ever ever will buy another Nissan car.
Paying so much for that car and it is in the service for defects about 5 times since I bought it 4 months ago.
Just drives me crazy.

Damn this all makes me mad. ;(

Laterz.

Old 09-15-2000, 08:39 AM

Dany..

What dealer in MA did you buy your car? I mean I've had a bunch of parts replaced but have never really had to wait more than a week to get them. You sound like you need to visit another dealer also...

I agree with you on one point....As of right now I would not buy another Nissan brand new...perhaps a used one but for what I expect on a brand new car, this Max failed miserably.
Old 09-15-2000, 09:32 AM

Re: Dany..

I got the car at Quirk, they gave the best deal. But they are A$$holes there. They delivered the car to me with loose Tie Rod Bolt. I mean WTF?, I took the car away and it was knocking like crazy. I didn't go back to Quirk for service cause they are kind of far away for me, so I went to Frost Nissan. They were always good to me there, I serviced my 95 SE there.

I know one guy there, he was always cool to help me.
Well they ordered brand new right strut assembly to replace. My front strut mount was damaged(that is what they saying), so they ordered the whole new strut and other stuff that comes with it. They installed the Strut but the strut mount they ordered was a wrong one. $hit. So they put everything back together and now the car is making(sort of like the whole front right side is gona fall apart noise) when I hit bumps.
The Service guy explained to me because I still have the damaged mount in there, when they took it all apart something might hace shifted.
Well shifted my A$$.

So they ordered a new mount. Been two weeks still not there.

Anyways, I mean the technical damages I understand happen, but the way Nissan resolves them sucks big donuts. ;(

And I not happy with the overall build of the car. Pannels in side the car don't line up as they should. Rattles!!!!!
On the outside, same thing, some gaps are bigger than others.

The car doesn't look like a 30K stiker car.

Old 09-15-2000, 11:16 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

DANY, time to turn up the heat...

Firstly. with Russ, they pulled a strut from a new car. I mean, whatever it takes.

Secondly, ask them who your lawyer would need to call if the faulty strut causes an accident for your wife/gf/mother/grandmother/you get the idea. You've simply waited long enough. there's no reason for that. Call them and tell them it seems alittle squirrely at hiway speed and you want that damn strut now. GL, btw.
Old 09-15-2000, 06:30 PM

Wow Dany...

I didn't know it was that bad...maybe the all the POS Max's are sent to MA.....guess we can call ourselves MassaMaxholes

I got mine at Kelly in Beverly....after listening to some of the horror stories I've heard I guess they are not too bad after all.

Have you considered Crest in Woburn...I was highly recommended to try there if things at Kelly do not work out...they are pretty easy to find...right off of 95(128) North...the exit before 93...(Washington St Exit?) They are right there across the street from Woburn Foreign Motors.

Tim is right...I'd be ^&^%$# ripped if my car had a safety issue like that..