5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you guys think about this muffler on eBay ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 07:56 AM

What do you guys think about this muffler on eBay ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2421394263

It's cheap as all h@ll for SS, but what I want to know is would it do anything for my '02? As I understand it, I already have some sort of "variable capacity" muffler stock, and I am wondering if it might do just as good a job at flow as an aftermarket??
Old 06-30-2003, 08:00 AM
jjs

Re: What do you guys think about this muffler on eBay ?

Originally posted by 02SEinStL

It's cheap as all h@ll for SS, but what I want to know is would it do anything for my '02? As I understand it, I already have some sort of "variable capacity" muffler stock, and I am wondering if it might do just as good a job at flow as an aftermarket??
Well, putting flow aside, I would say with a 4" outlet we are pretty firmly in the rice category.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:00 AM

Re: What do you guys think about this muffler on eBay ?

Changing just the muffler won't do anything for you in terms of HP gain, it will just make your car "sound" like it has a lot of HP. Get a full Cat-Back exhaust if you want to see HP gain.

Btw, our Stock variable flow muffler is plenty "High Flow", Its from GTR!
Old 06-30-2003, 08:19 AM

Re: Re: What do you guys think about this muffler on eBay ?

Originally posted by nismotech

Btw, our Stock variable flow muffler is plenty "High Flow", Its from GTR!
Really?

That's ...I had no idea.
So how does the "variable" part work anyway? Should it last the life of the car, or will it eventually give out like the "air suspensions" and "variable rate shocks" on other vehicles...
Old 06-30-2003, 08:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You should buy my 10 miles driven on muffler. It's a Powertech with 3.5" dual tips and a 2.5" inlet. Selling it because I have a loud resonator and with that it just made it too loud. Now with the stock muffler I still sound like I have an exhaust so it's all good, but I need to sell this one. $80 shipped with the hangers already welded on. I really need this gone. Help me out.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=313259&page=9
Old 06-30-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by wildmanal
You should buy my 10 miles driven on muffler.
That is real looking...I need to work on my wife a bit, though...she has a HUGE beef with any exhaust louder than stock. She thinks my Borla on the Miata is horrible, when in fact it's seems quiet as **** to me .
Don't even get me started on when we bought an '02 GMC fullsize Sierra stepside, the bright yellow limited edition...I had to wake up that sweet LS1 right away, and slapped on the Gibson polished "NASTRUCK" style dual side-exit system. Man, it sounded SO sweet but literally the minute I first pulled it into the driveway she went nuts on me ...tell me honest - how much louder will it make my '02 if I change nothing else upstream of it?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:24 AM
scopium

that aftermarket muffler wont do u any good... it might even slow u down a little...and plus it wont look good on max...
and its gonna sound like a civic is drivin down the street....
go with some Magnaflows or flowmasters or whatever else....

Old 06-30-2003, 01:45 PM

That is real looking...I need to work on my wife a bit, though...she has a HUGE beef with any exhaust louder than stock. She thinks my Borla on the Miata is horrible, when in fact it's seems quiet as **** to me .
Don't even get me started on when we bought an '02 GMC fullsize Sierra stepside, the bright yellow limited edition...I had to wake up that sweet LS1 right away, and slapped on the Gibson polished "NASTRUCK" style dual side-exit system. Man, it sounded SO sweet but literally the minute I first pulled it into the driveway she went nuts on me ...tell me honest - how much louder will it make my '02 if I change nothing else upstream of it?
Well with my Magnaflow resonator on a 2.5 b-pipe was way too loud. Now with the stock muffler on I can still hear it. That's what I'm guessing caused my problem. You should message maximamaybe. He has just the muffler with no other exhause modifications and he says it isn't loud. I personally have only hear clips of it, but not in real life. It isn't near as loud as what I had. There are so many other people on the org happy with this muff so the resonator had to been the problem. I mean if it doesn't work out, you could always sell it for a little less and still save big. I went from $110 before hangers to $80 with hangers. Someone will for sure ****** it up for $60, but I can't go that low. PM if you have any more questions.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:53 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....26#post2150826

Link to my sale thread with maximamaybe's comment at the end. You should be fine as long as you don't get that Magnaflow resonator.