5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

installing rsb - i have a question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 06:58 AM

installing rsb - i have a question!

How far apart should the bushings in the back (U-bolts) be set?

Thanks in advance!

- badabing -
Old 07-02-2003, 07:05 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: installing rsb - i have a question!

Originally posted by badabing
How far apart should the bushings in the back (U-bolts) be set?

Thanks in advance!

- badabing -
if it an addco bar, i put mine about an inch inward from the bend. some have moved them in further to keep the bracket from hitting a piece of the chassis but i bent the corner so it never hits.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:08 AM

Re: Re: installing rsb - i have a question!

Originally posted by sloppymax

if it an addco bar, i put mine about an inch inward from the bend. some have moved them in further to keep the bracket from hitting a piece of the chassis but i bent the corner so it never hits.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Did you ever have to re-tighten any of the bolts? I have to drive 500 miles tomorrow and am a little worried about it...
Old 07-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: installing rsb - i have a question!

Thanks! I'll try that.

Did you ever have to re-tighten any of the bolts? I have to drive 500 miles tomorrow and am a little worried about it...
Mine are much closer - something like 2 feet apart (trying to remember exactly) so they miss the Panhard bar. Works great.

I tried tightening the nuts after about a week, and they hadn't noticeably loosened.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

It's a good idea to check the bolts after installation. They wouldn't loosen a lot(if at all) after 500 miles. Can you check them after the drive?

I checked mine after about 700 miles and I had 1 bolt that needed about a half turn to tighten fully.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:04 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Re: Re: installing rsb - i have a question!

Thanks! I'll try that.

mine were a tad loose after about a month. it only took one strong turn to tighten it up. i check it once every month or so.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:07 AM

Did any of you guys have any problems with the brake lines and the side brackets? If so explain what you did. THANKS
Old 07-02-2003, 08:14 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally posted by VQ35DE
Did any of you guys have any problems with the brake lines and the side brackets? If so explain what you did. THANKS
No problems here...I removed the clip that held the brake line, then put the RSB U bolt on and then re-attachced the brake line thing. IIRC I had to bend the brake line clip ever so slightly to clear the U bolt.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:52 AM

...If you are concerned about RSB bolts loosening over time then use a torque wrench during the initial install and tighten each bolt to 40 ft./lbs....

I used my torque wrench, I have had the Addco bar for a year now, and I have checked it every time I jack up the car to rotate my wheels (every 10,000 miles). It has NEVER been loose.

Good luck...
Old 07-02-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by VQ35DE
I put my side brackets several inches away from the end of the bar (towards the back of the car). That way, I could put it behind the brake line bracket on the trailing arms, and re-install the bracket. I was a little concerned about the brake lines rubbing on the RSB bracket bolts, but haven't seen any damage.

This is also supposed to increase the effect of the RSB (the trailing arm has less leverage, so can't twist the bar as much).
Old 07-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Very sound, Mike

Distance - the farther apart they are the better the Sway bar works. Though even if they're close together it'll still work better than not having one at all.

Brake Lines and Clearance - I noticed if i installed the end's first before doing the beam portion, it was harder to install the bar. (Or was it the other way around?) In any case, try one or the other. Nothing needs to be taken out or apart to install the Addco.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Distance - the farther apart they are the better the Sway bar works. Though even if they're close together it'll still work better than not having one at all.
Mike, isn't the progress bar adjustable by the distance of the TRAILING BAR brackets from the BAR END, not by the distance of the brackets on the multi-beam? Think that's what I remember from the How-To's and instructions...
Old 07-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by Maximax2

Mike, isn't the progress bar adjustable by the distance of the TRAILING BAR brackets from the BAR END, not by the distance of the brackets on the multi-beam? Think that's what I remember from the How-To's and instructions...
Not sure about the Progress, but on the Addco it would be both the brackets on the trailing bar and on the rear beam
Old 07-02-2003, 11:30 AM

Whew....well, it's done finally. It took me a while to understand where everything was supposed to go and then I started putting everything in place (btw, THANK YOU OLINCOLES for the excellent write up).

One problem....one of the u-bolts had a severely messed up thread. I tried to wrench through it but it just would not go. Then I had to take apart anything that I put together, put the wheels back on and drop the the car. I called custommaxima and they were nice and eager to help but did not have any replacement u-bolts. They instructed me to go to a Home Depot to get another u-bolt - which is what I did.

My first impression is not as "WOW" as it was after the FSTB installation. But maybe my trek through the twisties on the western PA Turnpike tomorrow will make me feel a little different.

- badabing -
Old 07-02-2003, 02:37 PM

Can U post a link to OLINCOLES writeup?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Uconn411
Can U post a link to OLINCOLES writeup?

Here ya go.... http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....D+installation

Can't wait for my 500 mile drive tomorrow to put the RSB/FSTB combo to the test.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:43 AM

Typically do you guys install the FSTB and RSB before installing shocks and springs? Is there any negative effects of NOT doing shocks and springs first??
Old 07-03-2003, 05:48 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by GMoney
Typically do you guys install the FSTB and RSB before installing shocks and springs? Is there any negative effects of NOT doing shocks and springs first??
Yep. Not really, except maybe now you'd wish you put everything all at once and upgraded to better tires
Old 07-03-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by GMoney
Personally I had my springs done first, by a pro installer, and then I put the FSTB and RSB on myself after that. Once I had all that on the car the handling was dramatically better. Now I just have to stop procrastinating on the aftermarket struts/shocks and I will have the whole suspension package! Although some would argue that 'coilover/fstb/rstb/rsb/sfc' is the REAL complete suspension package...