5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Think I should sell my 2k2 loaded maxima SE 6spd for a 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 04:58 PM

Think I should sell my 2k2 loaded maxima SE 6spd for a 350Z?

What do you guys think from a economical perspective? or any other interesting opinions are welcome too.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:05 PM

Nope! Buy a 91+ 300Z TT as a project car... keep the Max as a fun DD 300s are faster and look better IMHO.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:12 PM

I contemplated that too, but its not worth it... figure how much more you going to spend... its not worth the hassle or even more money...and not to mention your insurance will go up..UP...UP...

Save your money, or get a used project car....
Old 07-02-2003, 05:21 PM

No I have both and if you are looking at in from a performance perspective the Max gives 96% of that of the 350, trust me its not that much different. My Max gets looks so does the Z its not worth it bud, as far as insurance the Z is only 6.00 a month more and I'm 29 but my area is considered rural.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
No I have both and if you are looking at in from a performance perspective the Max gives 96% of that of the 350, trust me its not that much different. My Max gets looks so does the Z its not worth it bud, as far as insurance the Z is only 6.00 a month more and I'm 29 but my area is considered rural.

When I drove an Infiniti G35 coupe I was very dissapointed with the extra 30 HP. If they put a twin turbo in the 350Z/G35 for the same price I'd say hell yeah...but all your getting is a nicer looking car with out much more power and a much bigger car payment.

Not to mention they will RAPE you on your 2k2 trade in / sale
Old 07-02-2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by spta97

When I drove an Infiniti G35 coupe I was very dissapointed with the extra 30 HP. If they put a twin turbo in the 350Z/G35 for the same price I'd say hell yeah...but all your getting is a nicer looking car with out much more power and a much bigger car payment.

Not to mention they will RAPE you on your 2k2 trade in / sale
I agree with the nicer looking car that fits my age (21), but i dotn know about the bigger car payment. I got my max for 27500. I can get a base Z for 27000. But I know I will get RAPED on my 2k2 trade in or sale, thousands. i am not exactly sure how many thousands....which is my main concern, any ideas?
Old 07-02-2003, 06:32 PM
CCx

figure out what your monthly payment will be and see if you can afford it, and if you WANT to afford it..

i just spent $200 more a month to get into my car...but i could afford it, and it was worth it to me..it's real simple, but find out the monthly and go from there....work within your finances
Old 07-02-2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by PimpShiFus

I agree with the nicer looking car that fits my age (21), but i dotn know about the bigger car payment. I got my max for 27500. I can get a base Z for 27000. But I know I will get RAPED on my 2k2 trade in or sale, thousands. i am not exactly sure how many thousands....which is my main concern, any ideas?
21 huh? Well, that changes everything.

Hot car = booty! That's worth it's weight in gold

Go for it if you can swing it!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Banned

I say if you really want a Z, and can afford the payments/loss on trade in/insurance etc., then get a Z. If you don't and won't need a four door, get the Z. Otherwise keep the max, it looks great, its pretty darn fast, and it can carry a backseat load of chicks whenever you need too.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:26 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

It's entirely dependant on age. The younger you are, the easier it will be to recover from these types of purchases due to your steadily increasing growth potential (well, for standard issue edumacated types)...
Old 07-02-2003, 08:44 PM
mjg

why get a 350z as a sports car, why not get a project car like that guy was suggesting, that way you can get the looks, and 'significant' performance increase. Waste the money on the max? It's a great car, I'm 23, i drive a 2k2 max, I think that's a damn good deal for me... If I had the money, you most definatly know I'd be buying some hot exotic (Like my 93 c2 dream car), learning the car, and actually working on it. If you need a car to get tail, you are a loser, sorry.(Not saying you are, a rule of thumb)
Old 07-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like the Z's but if had to get another sports car I would get the new G35 instead of the Z.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:40 PM

I was thinking of the same thing at one point not long ago, and almost made the leap. Glad I didn't. The excitement of additonal performance will most likely be short lived as compared to things like a trunk, back seats, etc. Its hard to think that way cause the Z is fun to drive when you get in one. But when the fun factor starts to wain and the need for utility rears up, your going to be frowning at that increased payment my man Just not worth it. So keep the Max and do what I did: Get a motorcycle again.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:43 PM

i agree, if you want the couple thing. go for the g35 coupe. your getting the z with a fair back seat. plus it comes with an aero package that the does'nt get. and to add on, you could get into a g35 at a little cheaper price. the z is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too popular right now.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:26 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

If you have a maxima, you probably are used to a more luxury ride. You owe it to yourself to take the G35C for a spin.

I havent been on time to work since sometime last year. Well that hasnt changed, but I have been getting up earlier so I can take a longer route to work and still get there at the same time. Its such a blast to drive. Its like Six Flags came and built a roller coaster that takes me to work and back. I have to check my smile at the door at work, its really that obvious. What more can I say.. I pay $20 more for the car note and $30 more for insurance per month.

practical? no.. not at all. I dont have kids tho.. I dont care to drive people around. This car is perfect. We have a pathfinder anyway, so its all covered.

Sometimes if I cant sleep, I'll go out for a drive. Toss the car around alittle, come back and sleep like a baby.. yeah, for me, it was worth it.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:11 PM

Forget the Z it's for the boy racers, get the G35.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TimW
If you have a maxima, you probably are used to a more luxury ride. You owe it to yourself to take the G35C for a spin.

I havent been on time to work since sometime last year. Well that hasnt changed, but I have been getting up earlier so I can take a longer route to work and still get there at the same time. Its such a blast to drive. Its like Six Flags came and built a roller coaster that takes me to work and back. I have to check my smile at the door at work, its really that obvious. What more can I say.. I pay $20 more for the car note and $30 more for insurance per month.

practical? no.. not at all. I dont have kids tho.. I dont care to drive people around. This car is perfect. We have a pathfinder anyway, so its all covered.

Sometimes if I cant sleep, I'll go out for a drive. Toss the car around alittle, come back and sleep like a baby.. yeah, for me, it was worth it.
That's a beautiful ride...someday...someday
Old 07-02-2003, 11:36 PM

Honestly, I never really owned a *real* sports car.. I know that technically the G35C is a sports coupe (not conv and 400 lbs heavier than 'sports cars'), but for arguements sake, we'll call it a sports car.

Having done it, I could easily go back to a Maxima. This was just something I really needed to do before I got much older (34 now). I was close to paying off the 2K, and yeah, I kinda messed our plan up to move north alittle.. delayed it another year or so.

If you feel like you *need* a Z or GC, there are no real arguements for or against.. it's a *need* thing. plain and simple. The worst thing that could happen is that you decide you want the comfort and room back and lose about 4K. 4K is not really a very expensive life lesson.. Thats pretty much it. It's brought me a smile every day.. worth every penny so far, but so can value and practicality. At the time when I got the maxima, walking out to a bad a$$ 4 door sedan felt good. And being more practical felt good.. No regrets, then or now..
Old 07-03-2003, 12:29 AM

the Z is gorgeous, but the G35 handles better and has a lower coefficient of drag as well..........back to the subject - i would probably stick with the maxima if money is an object
Old 07-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like Tim's G.

either way, I think Tim said it the best with his last post.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:52 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

if you tell me more about your car modle and options and miles......i can tell you trade in valeu on the car...i have the black book dealers use as i am a dealer....but ill tell you now....my 03 se titanium package polised titanium 6spd with 24k miles is worth about 19000 on trade

Originally posted by PimpShiFus

Old 07-03-2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by tonylittell
if you tell me more about your car modle and options and miles......i can tell you trade in valeu on the car...i have the black book dealers use as i am a dealer....but ill tell you now....my 03 se titanium package polised titanium 6spd with 24k miles is worth about 19000 on trade
And that's the truth... I took my 03 Max with 10k on it that was 6 month old that I paid 27.5k loaded w/o Nav to a Ford garage because I decided I really wanted a 03 Cobra Conv for a summer car... Well they called a local nissan garage to see how much it was worth to them and they said $18,500.. I was like don't even do paper work with that quote.. That wasn't even close to payoff on my car.. I would have done it if they would have gave me payoff though...
Old 07-03-2003, 06:17 AM

All I can say is nice.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:22 AM

g35 vs. 350z decisions, decisions, decisions.......if yu want luxury by all means go for the g but if yur heavily into modding the 350z's potential is skyrocketing by the second...my $.02
Old 07-03-2003, 06:39 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by juvymax8
g35 vs. 350z decisions, decisions, decisions.......if yu want luxury by all means go for the g but if yur heavily into modding the 350z's potential is skyrocketing by the second...my $.02
They have the same engine genius, and thus, the same mod potential. You'll just get better service with the G35, and you'll have 2 extra seats. I'm all for the GC...
Old 07-03-2003, 06:59 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

well the max and 350 and g35 all have same engine so the max has same potential?kinda....if you spend for the computer the 350 has....they arent the same car....g35 is alot bigger than the z and heavier and less power....so essentially you paid thousands more for a bigger, heaver, less powerfull ,slower car with a back seat that my daughter cant fit into.....and the service isnt beter.....its ALOT WORSE.....compare csi indexes youll see......only advantage is the service agreement is included in infiniti and you pay for it w nissan.....after paying for it your still ALOT cheaper than the g35....with much better customer service that normally will still do waranty work with a modded car.....your much superior infiniti dealer wont.....
infiniti is an over priced nissan for the fools out there that think the symbol means something....which it does....means you paid too much....
just my .02 cent having worked for both of them....so i am speaking out of experiance
Old 07-03-2003, 07:10 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

also the g35 does not handle beter like someone said...its rides a little smoother....and when you get softer ride you get softer suspension....softer suspension means softer handleing.....stiffer cars mean better handeling.....you cant get around it....bmw has com close but the rules of physics are still there....may have a lower dra coef. but so what it is minute if it does and i doubt anyone in this forum could drive either car to where a drag coef. would come into play....
dont get me wrong i love the g35,but why pay for a 350 with a back seat you cant use?neither car is practical so why pay more for what most will use as a second car?
Old 07-03-2003, 07:20 AM

The reason is the G35 is an absolutely beautiful car with a nicer interior.

Now getting back to the point of this all... You have a great fast car that has depreciated say... $10K. You will get killed on the trade. I just bought a loaded 02 for $19 from a dealer, I'm sure he paid more like 17 for it. Now back to the Z, its a nice car and it does base for 27, but thats irrelevent. you're not going to buy the base. you're going to load ti with options, look at your Max. not criticizing, just realistic you're going to be somewhere in the low 30s. so is the Z worth 15K to you?

I'm 23 and just bought my 02 max. I love it. I didn't try the Z or the G35 out b.c I didn't want to spend the money. The more practical solution is to keep your max and buy a house or save your money ot do that. The more FUN yet still more practical solution is to buy a project car or older sports car. How about a first Gen RX7? or something like that. for $5K I bet you could have a lot of fun.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:45 AM

tonylittell, you are wrong in a lot of ways. The G35C uses a different front setup. It makes for a better suspension. The info is out there if you want to seek it. By better I mean, the best compromise for a roadable car and daily driver. Period.

After all the BS on the Nissan lot, I got my G35C for less.

Want a dealer supported Procharger, try Grubbs in DFW.. yeah, you can pick up a 370+ rwhp G35C off their lot. Actually, Infiniti is much more relaxed about mods. ICA isnt Lexus, but its MUCH better than NNA. Actually, its just what NNA should have been :/

BTW, the Inf lot gave me 16K for a 2k Max with 45K miles. Another member here just got 22K for their 2k3 on an Inf lot. Same for another member, 4K more than other lots. Not sure why, but Infiniti dealers are paying top dollar for maximas. They are still asking MSRP for the coupe. But even if you come with cash, same price.. so, its not like they are artifcially inflating your trade.. they are inflating it, but since you cant get a coupe any cheaper *anywhere*, its like found money.

with that low interest, a dream come true for $20 more a month.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:55 AM

The g35c is definatelly a nice car. The interior is just so much better looking than the maxima. I really like the perforated leather seats on that car. If I could get about 22.5k for my 6sp maxima I would love to getbinto a g35, but getting that kind of money for a laoded 02 max is just a dream. Does anybody know is the manual transmission shifting is as bad on the g35? I really dislike that aspect on the maxima, mine feels very notchy.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by elmaximo
I really dislike that aspect on the maxima, mine feels very notchy.
Same as 350Z & max, issues.. There are better syncros in the works from Nissan (warranty).
Old 07-03-2003, 10:08 AM

Tim, thanks for the head up, I only have less than 2k miles on my car and I am hoping the shifting gets smooter. I just think that for a $25k car they designed such a crappy transmission syncros.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:36 AM

After reading this thread, I kinda feel like an oddball considering I'm looking to upgrade from my 2K2 Max to an M45.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by busakiller
And that's the truth... I took my 03 Max with 10k on it that was 6 month old that I paid 27.5k loaded w/o Nav to a Ford garage because I decided I really wanted a 03 Cobra Conv for a summer car... Well they called a local nissan garage to see how much it was worth to them and they said $18,500.. I was like don't even do paper work with that quote.. That wasn't even close to payoff on my car.. I would have done it if they would have gave me payoff though...
That's exactly what it is like for me. I paid 27.5k and one year later, which is now, they want to give me 10k less than what i paid for. That's some depreciation! is it even legal??!!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:45 AM

Tim, thanks for the head up, I only have less than 2k miles on my car and I am hoping the shifting gets smooter. I just think that for a $25k car they designed such a crappy transmission syncros.
so did u buy a 2k2 brand new recently, for 25k? how long ago was this..... I would love to sell my for that price
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 AM

So you bought your 2k2 max brand new just recnetly for 25k? how long ago was this? I would love to sell my car for that price....
Old 07-03-2003, 12:06 PM

there are soooo many new mods coming out for it everyone is supporting the 350Z/G35C
Old 07-03-2003, 01:41 PM
WANNA RUN IT?

what are you talking about being diferant?softer springs and struts?the car is the same upfront buddy except spring rates and softer struts.....softer strusts and springs mean softer ride and not as nimble...its physics pal.....as for the info out there?im sure i know more ALOT more than most in here yourself including....i sell both and train employees in the product....i know what both cars come equiped with and prices...base and loaded....and i know you got to give the front alot of work to get it to corner the way the z does...yes it does have a more luxurious ride....yes it has a little nicer interior...but not much.....the z is a true sports car.....the g35 is more of a sport luxury car.....z has alot more potential...alot of the mods wont work on the g35 because its longer(like exhaust and so forth) bang for the buck the z is the car to get
dont get me wrong the g35 is hot except for the grill and couple of other things.....like the g35 spoiler alot beter and like the slightly longer body beter.....hp to weight ratio?z definatly.....just depends on the type of person you are....if your into modding and want the biggest bang for the buck z car.....soft ride sport look and alot of amenities g35.....
now as far as trade value?its the same no matter where you go...acv(actual cash value) is the same......now i can show you 25k for the same car you said they traded and got 22k for....its all how you move the numbers around.....

tonylittell, you are wrong in a lot of ways. The G35C uses a different front setup. It makes for a better suspension. The info is out there if you want to seek it. By better I mean, the best compromise for a roadable car and daily driver. Period.

After all the BS on the Nissan lot, I got my G35C for less.

Want a dealer supported Procharger, try Grubbs in DFW.. yeah, you can pick up a 370+ rwhp G35C off their lot. Actually, Infiniti is much more relaxed about mods. ICA isnt Lexus, but its MUCH better than NNA. Actually, its just what NNA should have been :/

BTW, the Inf lot gave me 16K for a 2k Max with 45K miles. Another member here just got 22K for their 2k3 on an Inf lot. Same for another member, 4K more than other lots. Not sure why, but Infiniti dealers are paying top dollar for maximas. They are still asking MSRP for the coupe. But even if you come with cash, same price.. so, its not like they are artifcially inflating your trade.. they are inflating it, but since you cant get a coupe any cheaper *anywhere*, its like found money.

with that low interest, a dream come true for $20 more a month.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:47 PM

Everyone just needs to realize that any and all new cars take huge hits in the 1st 2years that just a fact when buying brand new. Also with all of the low interest rates, it is a perfect time to get into something new their for the market is glutted with tons of preowned cars and they are really low balling on trade in because they can right now!
Old 07-03-2003, 03:50 PM
JJL

Get the Z .I did, and I love this car .
my insurance went down to

Quick Reply: Think I should sell my 2k2 loaded maxima SE 6spd for a 350Z?