5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Upgrade Questions...Teins?

This coming Wednesday I will finally be installing my Teins, Raybestos Quiet Stop Pads, and (2) 225/50WR-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
(My 2 rear stock Potenzas have 62k on them and need to go!)

As well as replacing my 1st gen Cattmen Flex and installing a hanger mount. And the usual Oil, Trans, Coolant Flush/Service.

My questions are the following...

How will my stock SE shocks/struts perform with the Teins installed? How long will they last? I have 62K highway/2yrs.
I would like to be able to get a few months out of them if I can!

And I also have a weird steering problem that I will be looking into this week. At high speeds my steering wheel kind of shimes right and left going straight all the time. The guy at the oil lube mentioned maybe something in the steering system needs tightening. I haven't ever had an alignment and live in NJ and drive mostly on the GSP and TrnPk but after the new tires and springs I will be getting an alignment and high speed wheel balancing. Any one else experience this, I have had this problem for a while and I guess it's gradually gotten worse.

Let me know what you guys think and anything else that I should know about my setup?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 07-07-2003, 11:51 AM
CCx

an alignment will help, but the wheel balancing will probably help more...if you can 'drive out of' the shimmying by speeding up/slowing down, you need a balance definitely....i went and blew loot on an alignment during which helped me a little but it was the full wheel balancing that stopped the shaking for me
Old 07-07-2003, 11:57 AM

I seem to think the same about the alignment but I have read that I should get an alignment after two weeks after the springs settle. Is that right? Also my car drives straight on the highways so I wouldn't think it really needs an alignment now but...??

Robert
Old 07-07-2003, 12:29 PM
CCx

I'm not sure about the alignment in relation to the springs, however I can tell you if you've got 62k and never had one, no time like the present It can be done the same time as the wheel balancing, I'd probably wait to do everything until after your upgrades are done and things are confirmed to be installed and working correctly....
Old 07-08-2003, 05:37 AM

So anyone with Teins and stock shocks/struts, how are they holding up?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

With 62k on the stock struts, save yourself some money and change them at the same time you put on the springs. You will probably have to change them REAL SOON if you use them with the Teins, or any other spring.

Mike
Old 07-09-2003, 06:07 AM

Old 07-09-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by 2MuchMAX4U
So anyone with Teins and stock shocks/struts, how are they holding up?
I've got the Teins with KYB-GR2s and it's a nice combo. I did a lot of research and it seemed that the people who went with the Teins and stock struts regretted it and had a harsh bouncy ride. Besides, 60k + and strust should really be replaced anyway.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:25 PM

Well heres the deal, my buddy has a shop and I have the rest of the week off from work, so it's my time and his shop and some BS...so no real $$ out of the pocket for me

Today I worked on the brakes and tires. I cut all four rotors and put new pads in the front. The back however didn't fit and I believe they are the wrong pads........I have Raybestos QS Part # PGD540QS....
I think they might be for the 4th Gen (I have a 2k1 SE). Does anyone the know the right part #????

Everything, dispite the brakes went well, Tomorrow I will be swapping the Y-pipe out for the new flex and well I dunno cause I was going to do the springs...

So I guess from the feed back I shouldn't install the springs? Like I said it would not cost me $$...

But I don't want to wait till the fall/winter to install the springs with new struts nor do I want my struts to blow and be screwed before then!

What would you do?

Thanks
Robert