5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan loses $$ to the wheelman

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 04:20 PM

Nissan loses $$ to the wheelman

Yeah, so i have posted on this tranny whine thing a couple of times and here is the latest. Dealer orders a tranny to replace mine. i drop the whip off and go camiping for 10 days..........I call this morning and the dealer says "um actually your car isnt fixed yet because the tranny they shipped us was broken during shipping.".."really?"......"yeah i opened the crate that it was in and the bell housing was cracked and broken off"....."now what?...."we ordered another one and it should be here tomarrow, if so i will have your car finished wednesday evening".......

I hung up the phone and caught my breath. two trannies they are paying for plus all the labor to install...... nissan is looking to be out about $4500 by wednesday... subtract that form the profit they made on my car and they are not looking to hot as far as making money off of me........
Someone in quality control is gonna be hearing it again from nissans higher ups
whew........I'll keep you posted
WHEELMAN
Old 07-07-2003, 05:08 PM

Good job man! Did the same thing when I got the Maxima from the dealer. They showed us the price they paid for the car and the price we paid for it, which was less. They didn't even let us ring the bell when we picked it up. HAR HAR HAR!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice....just bought an '02 auto(wife) about a month ago, it is city driven by her so it never gets ran, i got to test her out in the desert this weekend (the car), anyway we back down to around 80-90....I see the only forest service guy for 50 miles and I lay into the brakes...... horrible brake shudder, i just learned about the TSB thanks to this site and plan to take my car into the dealer tommorow. Hopefully it will be no drama (still under warranty)
Old 07-07-2003, 11:30 PM

good to know - milk them! hopefully it'll work like brand new again
Old 07-08-2003, 06:38 AM

I hope it works like new when i get it back........
WHEELMAN
Old 07-08-2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by guapsnaman
Good job man! Did the same thing when I got the Maxima from the dealer. They showed us the price they paid for the car and the price we paid for it, which was less. They didn't even let us ring the bell when we picked it up. HAR HAR HAR!
No doubt you probably got a good deal. However, knowing many people in the car business, I know this for a fact: Dealers will never lose money on a car. They can show you their "invoice price". What you don't see are the manufacturer's incentives, holdbacks, etc. Again, yep, you prob. got a smokin' deal. Dealers would rather make a little dough rather than none. But, they are not going to sell a car for a loss.

To see what they made from your transaction, you can pay consumer reports like $15 and they will tell you the real deal.... What the dealer paid, incentives, estimated holdback, etc.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by 00gxe5sp

No doubt you probably got a good deal. However, knowing many people in the car business, I know this for a fact: Dealers will never lose money on a car. They can show you their "invoice price". What you don't see are the manufacturer's incentives, holdbacks, etc. Again, yep, you prob. got a smokin' deal. Dealers would rather make a little dough rather than none. But, they are not going to sell a car for a loss.

To see what they made from your transaction, you can pay consumer reports like $15 and they will tell you the real deal.... What the dealer paid, incentives, estimated holdback, etc.
Not sure what facts you are going by but dealers DO lose money on SOME cars. Of course their whole point of being in business is to make money but there are occasions where they will take a hit just to move the volume needed to keep a franchise. This is especially true for a small dealership. But if you are speaking in general terms then you are absolutely right.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by WHEELMAN_03_SE
I hope it works like new when i get it back........
WHEELMAN
what was the matter with your tranny for them to replace it??? 6 speed or auto???
Old 07-08-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by mille_3

Not sure what facts you are going by but dealers DO lose money on SOME cars. Of course their whole point of being in business is to make money but there are occasions where they will take a hit just to move the volume needed to keep a franchise. This is especially true for a small dealership. But if you are speaking in general terms then you are absolutely right.
Yes...speaking in VERY general terms. Yes, in some occassions dealers will take a loss if they simply can not sell a car, or if they made enough on the back (trade in, financing, etc.)

But, moral of my story was do not believe the salesman when they say "we are losing money on this car already, so we can only sell it for X"

it doesn't matter if the dealer is MAKING $10,000 or actually losing $1...they will always say that they are "losing money on this deal"
Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 PM

busakiller-
The transmission is a six speed and it developed a whining problem. when traveling above about 30 the tranny whined if the throttle was just slightly depressed (as in to maintain speed). I took it to a small dealer with what apear to be very good mechanics. the guy took it out and came back saying that he now understands what i was saying and that he thought that it might be the differential gears. he said they might not be meshing/meshed properly. he called nissan and they said a new tranny was in order. I think i just got a bad tranny. second grinds sometimes third is hard to push through the gate and reverse sometimes wont go in at all it just partially engaes and pops out. i didnt tell any of that to the guy though because he said they were replacing it anyway and i figured it wasnt worth it to say it had more problems.
WHEELMAN
Old 07-10-2003, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by WHEELMAN_03_SE
busakiller-
The transmission is a six speed and it developed a whining problem. when traveling above about 30 the tranny whined if the throttle was just slightly depressed (as in to maintain speed). I took it to a small dealer with what apear to be very good mechanics. the guy took it out and came back saying that he now understands what i was saying and that he thought that it might be the differential gears. he said they might not be meshing/meshed properly. he called nissan and they said a new tranny was in order. I think i just got a bad tranny. second grinds sometimes third is hard to push through the gate and reverse sometimes wont go in at all it just partially engaes and pops out. i didnt tell any of that to the guy though because he said they were replacing it anyway and i figured it wasnt worth it to say it had more problems.
WHEELMAN
hummm... I wish my dealer would replace mine.. I've had all kinds of problems with it.. In reverse backing up a hill it makes a weird like metal to metal noise which the Mech. heard when I took them out for a test ride.. The service manager said just drive it and see if it stops after you put more miles on it... I just laughed and left... Well I hope ur new tranny works out for you...
Old 07-10-2003, 05:21 AM
VQ Wizard

Six speed tranny whine? Are you another victim of the 1-2-1 or the 2-3-2 shift?
Old 07-10-2003, 05:30 AM
Blu
the tits

I know that feeling and I don't even drive a 6 spd. Its really a hidden eaton blower you just don't know it
Old 07-10-2003, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
Six speed tranny whine? Are you another victim of the 1-2-1 or the 2-3-2 shift?
I dunno?....
Old 07-10-2003, 06:45 AM

Wheelman, I share somewhat of a similar experience with my tranny, even though I have a 2k. Back when my car had about 48K my tranny went out and I took it to Nissan, they shipped me a tranny from Japan (back then they were still building Maximas there) and the one they sent was broke.

It had already been 12 days when that first tranny came in broke, not to mention they had to give me a rental car (they gave me a 2k Caddy STS)for the time my car was down (I was thinking then, man they can just keep my car and let me have this Caddy)then the other one came in and the finally got it on. The whole period took over 30 days, to top it all off the ended up sending me a $500.00 check for inconvenience.

I called everyone in the Nissan chain from here to Japan to try to find out why it was taking so long to get me a new tranny but it paid off in the end. I have a great tranny and I got free rental (STS) plus $500.00, how's that for the Nissan big wigs hearing about Quality Control? haha.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:59 AM

Yeah they ate it on you too.....hehehe caddy sts NICE im going to go pick up my new Murano today (loaner) because i need a damn vehicle. inconvienience check would be nice........maybe a call to Nissan usa
WHEELMAN