5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bought a 2k3 Max Titanium Edition (newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 06:51 PM

Bought a 2k3 Max Titanium Edition (newbie)

Hi everyone. I recently traded in a 98 Audi A4 Quattro for an 03 Super Black Maxima with the Titanium package. So far I like. Doesn't handle anywhere near the Audi, but much much quicker. Hopefully it's more reliable as well. I have about 3200 miles on the car already and was wondering just how important it is to break in the car. For the first 2000 miles, I was very gentle on the throttle and braking system, but had to take the car on a few extended trips. That is the only part of the recommended break in process I was unable to follow. I'm not too worried about it since the car has an extended warranty on it, but I was just wondering. Thanks everyone for your input. By the way, I am a finance manager for a car dealership so if anyone has questions before going into a dealership to purchase a vehicle or whatever, feel free to ask.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:53 PM

Congrats on the purchase. I am not that concerned about the breakin. As long as you didn't beat on it immediately it should be good for over 100K miles. Welcome to the board.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:56 PM

i was doin long highway trips after just 800 miles. the car runs great now, a year or so later. with 3200 on feel free to let it rev up and throw your head back. great car you picked, enjoy it. and feel free to let the mod-bug bite
Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 PM

Re: Bought a 2k3 Max Titanium Edition (newbie)

Originally posted by Nismo3point5
By the way, I am a finance manager for a car dealership so if anyone has questions before going into a dealership to purchase a vehicle or whatever, feel free to ask.
how much did u purchase it for by the way?
I do have a few questions actually. What really goes on when the salesman goes back and forth negotiating the price? I mean the salesman should know what price is doable and what is not right? so why do they go back and forth still? It would be great if you can bring some insights into this. Thanks a lot. congrats on ur new purchase.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:14 AM

Re: Re: Bought a 2k3 Max Titanium Edition (newbie)

Originally posted by PimpShiFus

how much did u purchase it for by the way?
I do have a few questions actually. What really goes on when the salesman goes back and forth negotiating the price? I mean the salesman should know what price is doable and what is not right? so why do they go back and forth still? It would be great if you can bring some insights into this. Thanks a lot. congrats on ur new purchase.

Since it was a leftover, I got it pretty cheap. With a 5/60k warranty i ended up paying 25500. Im sure I could've done better with a little more arm twisting, but being in that line of work, I realize everyone has to make some money in the deal.

As far as your question about the salespeople negotiating....The whole objective for a commissioned salesperson is to hold as much gross profit in the deal. They get paid on that margin, not on the total price of the vehicle. When you go into a dealership, the questions they ask you such as, how much do you want to budget per month for the vehicle, how much downpayment, how much do you want for the trade, etc... are all designed to get your mind off the bottom line price of the vehicle. If the salesperson can successfully negotiate with you on anything but the bottom line price of the vehicle, he or she will be making more money. When you go into a dealership, never answer the monthly payment question, and hold your trade until you get a final number on the new vehicle. That way, they can't play around with the numbers to show you on paper more money for the trade while jacking up the price of the new car.

But on the other hand, also remember that the salesperson has to make a living as well so don't be a complete butthole to them. Not all of them are out to rob you blind. Hope this helps. If you want more detail on anything else, feel free to ask.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrat on your new car!Welcome to the org.And let the Mods begin.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:04 AM

Welcome to the org and congrats on your purchase.

You got one of the nicest colored Maximas out there so be very pleased. I also like the ti. package because of the wheels. It gives more shine to them.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by PimpShiFus

What really goes on when the salesman goes back and forth negotiating the price? I mean the salesman should know what price is doable and what is not right? so why do they go back and forth still? It would be great if you can bring some insights into this. Thanks a lot. congrats on ur new purchase.
it's a sales tactic that the salesman HAVE to follow.

They know what prices are "doable" but the sales managers have to approve any numbers the salesman might be thinking of offering.

If the salesman never has to go back to receive approval for a quote this means the amount settled upon is definitely TOO HIGH!
If the salesman and the customer agree on a price and the salesman
does not have to go back to a manager to get the price "approved"
then you are definitely paying more than you had to.

The tougher you are as a customer the more trips the salesman will probably take to see the manager. The manager not only approves price quotes but also discusses different sales tactics depending on what the customer demands or requires....
Old 07-08-2003, 08:36 AM

Congrats on the new Max. Go out and have some fun with it, it's fully broken in!
Old 07-09-2003, 09:03 AM

wow, it's interesting to hear the inside scoop on this stuff. thanks you guys. another thing i guess we all care to know is that how do you know you have reached the limit of the dealer as far as price goes. when can you tell that you and the salesman have reached a price that can't go any lower? i guess maybe there is something that he says, does, or whatever that gives a clue??
Old 07-09-2003, 09:10 AM
jjs

Re: Bought a 2k3 Max Titanium Edition (newbie)

Originally posted by Nismo3point5
Hi everyone. I recently traded in a 98 Audi A4 Quattro for an 03 Super Black Maxima with the Titanium package. So far I like. Doesn't handle anywhere near the Audi, but much much quicker. Hopefully it's more reliable as well. I have about 3200 miles on the car already and was wondering just how important it is to break in the car. For the first 2000 miles, I was very gentle on the throttle and braking system, but had to take the car on a few extended trips. That is the only part of the recommended break in process I was unable to follow. I'm not too worried about it since the car has an extended warranty on it, but I was just wondering. Thanks everyone for your input. By the way, I am a finance manager for a car dealership so if anyone has questions before going into a dealership to purchase a vehicle or whatever, feel free to ask.
When you refer to more reliable, what exact problems were you having with the Audi??
Old 07-09-2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by jjs

When you refer to more reliable, what exact problems were you having with the Audi??

I don't know about the new generation of Audis, but the 96-00 Audi A4's had a lot of annoying problems that were due to poor design. The interior rattled and there was really bad wind noise. For a car that costs $35K, I was expecting more quality. As far as mechanical problems: replaced left and right front control arms, window regulator, timing belt, water pump, headlight switch. The last year of ownership it was in the shop at least once a month. It would not have been so bad, but the service at my local Audi dealer was awful (to be kind.) I loved the Quattro AWD and the car handled like it was on rails, but the problems outweighed the benefits. I definitely would not recommend purchasing an A4 made between 96-00 unless you are ready to spend a lot of money on maintenance.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Congrats on the new car.
I purchase a 03 SE Titanium ED, Titanium color.
I'm loving it except for my sunroof.... I swear its crazy!!! It likes to open by itself. Going to get it checked tomorrow.
As far as being in the car business..... I'm right there with ya. I work for an auto finance company.... Salesman are a different breed of people sometimes.