5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Serious Ticket!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 08:31 AM

Serious Ticket!!!!!

Hey guys, i have a 2000 SE Auto. I was driving to richmond this weekend and i got stuck in traffic on route 301 For like an hour and a half. Finally things cleared up and i wanted to get moving. I was ballin and all of a sudden i see a state trooper flashing his lights behind me. I was so mad. The idiot asked me "Sir, is there any particular reason why you were doin 95 in a 55 zone" I couldn't even speak. He didn't even give me a ticket he just gave me a court summons with wreckless driving on it. The fool said that he got me on radar but that's impossible because 1. My radar detector didn't go off and 2. I had two friends following me who said that the trooper was driving in the other direction and when he saw me flying he just turned around to follow me. Don't you have to be sitting still to have a radar on?? Anyway, i'm only 18 years old and just got my liscense like 7 months ago. I just bought my max 3 months ago and this is my very first ticket. I didn't even tell my parents yet cuz i'm on my fathers insurance(geico). Since i live in maryland, will Virginia let geico know what happened i would be dead if my insurance goes up? And i do have pre-paid legal so would it be wise to take some representation with witnesses on this charge??
I NEED ALL THE ADVICE I CAN GET(SORRY FOR THE LONG POST)
THANKS EVERYONE!!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:49 AM
jjs

Re: Serious Ticket!!!!!

Originally posted by milellie111
Hey guys, i have a 2000 SE Auto. I was driving to richmond this weekend and i got stuck in traffic on route 301 For like an hour and a half. Finally things cleared up and i wanted to get moving. I was ballin and all of a sudden i see a state trooper flashing his lights behind me. I was so mad. The idiot asked me "Sir, is there any particular reason why you were doin 95 in a 55 zone" I couldn't even speak. He didn't even give me a ticket he just gave me a court summons with wreckless driving on it. The fool said that he got me on radar but that's impossible because 1. My radar detector didn't go off and 2. I had two friends following me who said that the trooper was driving in the other direction and when he saw me flying he just turned around to follow me. Don't you have to be sitting still to have a radar on?? Anyway, i'm only 18 years old and just got my liscense like 7 months ago. I just bought my max 3 months ago and this is my very first ticket. I didn't even tell my parents yet cuz i'm on my fathers insurance(geico). Since i live in maryland, will Virginia let geico know what happened i would be dead if my insurance goes up? And i do have pre-paid legal so would it be wise to take some representation with witnesses on this charge??
THANKS EVERYONE!!
Before you go running around like that, you really should learn how radar detectors work and more importantly how police radar works.

Also, states do 'talk' to each other so don't assume this will be forgotten.

Tell the folks...now. Better than letting it sit and them find out through an insurance hike, etc.

Yes, get the atty in on this, although don't expect miracles.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:58 AM

Ok, first of all, cops don't have to be "sitting still" to be using radar. He could have been using laser as well, though usually they are sitting still if they're using laser. Your radar detector doesn't mean anything. Yes, it can sometimes warn you of a cop ahead, but they don't usually do much good. The smarter cops wait until you're right on top of them to flip the gun on, and at that point, you're screwed. In most cases, while states do "talk" to each other, there will be no points assesed and your insurance should be fine. I say in most cases because it can still happen. As far as the attorney, don't bother. Be respectful when you show up. Let the judge know that you're sorry for what you did and don't try to make excuses. They've heard them all. Just be sincere and let them know that you know you screwed up, and that you're sorry. That's about the best way to deal with that. And definatly let your parents know what happened. They're gonna be ****ed if they find out that you've been hiding it from them.

Justin
Old 07-08-2003, 09:05 AM
jjs

Originally posted by JdawgX
In most cases, while states do "talk" to each other, there will be no points assesed and your insurance should be fine.
Oh really???

http://www.hmichaelsteinberg.com/interstatecompact.htm
Old 07-08-2003, 09:08 AM

"Colorado, Ohio, and Wisconsin do not assess points for out-of-state convictions. Colorado does not make an entry for out-of-state convictions such as speeding but convictions for offenses like DUI still count !"

I live in Colorado and was oging off of past experiance. Alos, I said "IN MOST CASES". I also said "I say in most cases because it can still happen."
However, it's still a good link that should give him plenty of info to read through.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I personally would not call the insurance and tell them that I got a ticket, it not like it's an accident! It is their job to find out!!! By the way don't make up any lame excuses, they will not even pay attention to you.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:20 AM

Also I think you're going to find out PPL doesn't cover traffic violations.
I'd look into spending a few bucks and joining:
http://www.motorists.org/
Old 07-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got my first ticket when I was 17, right in front of my High School..actually it was a little bit more than a speeding ticket. I was driving an 88' T-Bird with a 302 in it, that was my mother's car, Dad had a 96' Maxima GXE. I decided to show off and floored it down the driveway to my high school, I was flying and jumped the car over a speed bump. Then I did a slide turn into the parking lot, and dropped my friend off around back. On my way out of the high school a big fat guy jumped in front of my car and stopped me, he was hanging out with all his fireman buddies testing the hoses in the parking lot. He flashed his badge, he was a village cop, and he was ****ed. He said he eyed me at (no radar) 60 miles an hour...I was actually doing 72 when I hit the speed bump, the bad part was that area is a 15 mph. I got a reckless driving...misdemeanor, the only reason he didn't arrest me and take me downtown was because he knew my father. Yeah, my father wasn't happy but he made a few calls and all I got was a $100 fine and no points. All I can say is dontate money to policeman's charities, play in their golf tournaments and it will help you out one day. Those stickers they give you are gold.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:35 AM

why do you refer to the cop as an "idiot" and a "fool"?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:53 AM

first of all..if you were heading to Richmond and were in Virginia..you shouldnt even have a radar detector on being that theyre illegal in this state..lucky the cop didnt see the thing on or even visible in your car..and tell you parents..cause they'll somehow someway eventually find out..how? I dont know..they just will. As for insurance...they shouldnt find out...they do some sort of random checks through DMV once in awhile...just hope your one of the lucky ones that doesnt get discovered. Thats all my advice I can give you..
Old 07-08-2003, 10:21 AM

40 mph over

I thought my ticket was bad (26 mph over).....

Dude....you win. I think you're effed now, buddy.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Newman
why do you refer to the cop as an "idiot" and a "fool"?
So the cop is a fool and an idiot for doing his job......you sound like your 18, my advice to you.......grow up so you wont look like the fool and idiot...
Old 07-08-2003, 10:45 AM

you may think the cop is an idiot for nabbing you, but he's just doing is job. He wasn't bustin someone's ***** for doing 65-70 in a 55.... He got you for doing NINETY FIVE. last I checked thats 40, I'm surprised you have the ***** to be mad a the cop. He didn't split any hairs, you were wrong, end of story. As for an attorney I don't know. Thats a serious violation, its not just a basic running a stop sign. you may need someone, talk to your parents first. We've all done stupid things I'm just glad I didn't get busted for mine when I was 18.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:46 AM
jjs

Originally posted by JAKE02

So the cop is a fool and an idiot for doing his job......you sound like your 18, my advice to you.......grow up so you wont look like the fool and idiot...
Problem is we have seen people of various ages with the same attitude toward police...
Old 07-08-2003, 10:54 AM

I agree with you. But come on, don't you remember being 18. You were invincible and there was no way you could get caught. Of course it would **** you off that you would be proven wrong. Remember? He'll get a grasp on reality soon enough.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:19 PM

Take it to court without the attorney. the cop probably wont show up and it will be tossed out. Tell the judge that you and your friends saw him going the other way when you passed him. If he doesn't have the printout from the gun then he's ****ed. And YES he does have to be still to use the radar gun. Without that he cannot possibly know how fast you were going when he is going the OPOSSITE direction. Trust me I know a lot of cops. You can beat that easily. Tell your friends to go with you too. They may not be able to come in, but if the judge is cool he'll tell you to bring them in. Im out.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:49 PM
jjs

Originally posted by mcfalcons15
Take it to court without the attorney. the cop probably wont show up and it will be tossed out. Tell the judge that you and your friends saw him going the other way when you passed him. If he doesn't have the printout from the gun then he's ****ed. And YES he does have to be still to use the radar gun. Without that he cannot possibly know how fast you were going when he is going the OPOSSITE direction. Trust me I know a lot of cops. You can beat that easily. Tell your friends to go with you too. They may not be able to come in, but if the judge is cool he'll tell you to bring them in. Im out.
Apparently the cops you know don't know what they are talking about...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...e+radar+moving
Old 07-08-2003, 12:51 PM

If he doesn't have the printout from the gun then he's ****ed. And YES he does have to be still to use the radar gun. Without that he cannot possibly know how fast you were going when he is going the OPOSSITE direction\
i think you're wrong.

http://www.simicon.com/eng/faq/

Is it possible to measure speed in moving?

Some types of the radar guns allow to measure speed in moving patrol car. The information about patrol car speed the radar gun receives from reflected signal from the road. ISKRA-1 allows to measure speed of on-coming and head targets in moving, heading along the patrol car and visa versa (through windscreen or back window).
Old 07-08-2003, 12:51 PM

And YES he does have to be still to use the radar gun.
http://www.astroproducts.net/phantompatrol.htm
http://www.mphindustries.com/product...ing_radar.html

There's some links where you can purchase your own MOVING radar if you'd like. Most patrol cars, especially highway patrol use MOVING radar. So you are wrong in your thinking. Ask your cop friends.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 PM

Maybe I misread it, but doesn't sound that he has to prove the speed if the cop gave him a ticket for wreckless driving... Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he has to prove speed, just testify that you were wreckless. Also, Cops are trained to judge speed. They car certified within 5-10MPH which means that it can be up to 10 MPH higher or lower. Argue that with the cop but even if he's off 10MPH you're still 30 over
Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 PM

Kid Listen to me. You ****ed up, I give you credit for admitting it. As for the Cop He didnt berate, lecture and yell at you. Sounds like he did his job. As for State reciprocity, many states will only notify your state if you DO NOT pay the fine. Call the DMV in the state you were issued the summons and ask(im sure they have a web site)My advise Throw yourself on the mercy of the court, appologize and tell them you learned a lesson. What ever you do do not plead guilty with an explaination!!!!!!! Many states have an assistant DA(district Attorney)pleaing out cases prior to trial. You can plead not guilty and talk to the DA and try and get it reduced 70 in a 55 for example. theres a lot of things you can do to lighten the hit but your going to take a little hit. You could plead not guilty to the speed you were written. you can state yes you were speeding but being tracked by two friends who will state you were only doing "what ever"good luck
Old 07-08-2003, 02:10 PM

Similar situation...

A friend of mine recently got a ticket in VA for wreckless driving. The cop said he clocked her at 94. Now she says that she couldn't have been going that fast, because her car is in need of balancing, and at that speed, the steering wheel would have been pulsating violently.

He gave her a court summons, and mentioned a maximum fine of $2500 or jail.

She is worried, and I tried to tell her that she is not going to have pay $2500 or go to jail. What exactly do you think she should do to get out of that situation. Will VA give her the opportunity to attend a class, pay the ticket, and get everything squared away.

Need advice. Any would be appreciated...
Old 07-08-2003, 02:25 PM

i live in virginia and i got a reckless driving ticket when i was 16 (80 in a 55). ill tell you exactly what happened so you can use it as a reference.

i wont talk about actually getting the ticket as i think i probably was going 80 in a 55 so i deserved it. but as far as court, and fines, and my record goes:

i went to court and the judge allowed me to take a classroom safe driving course. i had to pay a ridiculously small fine (i think it was about $54 for my speeding fine and court fees together) and then i had to pay $60 for the class i believe. this class was just 2 or 3 meetings that lasted about 3 hours each. once i finished the class and passed the test, my reckless driving charge was reduced to simply 1-9 MPH over the speed limit. the judge told me that is what would happen if i completed the course.

polished, she definitely will not have to pay $2500 and she will definitely not have to go to jail. those are just the MAXIMUM fines they could technically get. but her actual fine will be much MUCH less. probably only a couple hundred at the very most. most likely even less than that.

always ask to take a safety course. the judge will more than likely offer to reduce the sentence if yoy do.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:35 PM
trey

Old 07-08-2003, 03:58 PM

Get an attorney!!

I was facing wreckless driving after an accident. Went into court with my attorney and he managed to plead it down to a careless driving and $200 fine. If I was convicted of the wreckless, it would've been 5 points, 6 month license suspension and $400 fine. If I were you, I would not depend on being honest with the judge blah, blah, blah. That might work, but if not, you're screwed. This was in Southern New Jersey by the way.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:09 PM

Re: Get an attorney!!

Originally posted by Nismo3point5
I was facing wreckless driving after an accident. Went into court with my attorney and he managed to plead it down to a careless driving and $200 fine. If I was convicted of the wreckless, it would've been 5 points, 6 month license suspension and $400 fine. If I were you, I would not depend on being honest with the judge blah, blah, blah. That might work, but if not, you're screwed. This was in Southern New Jersey by the way.

everyone says get an attorney. I say that is Bullsh!t....i got written a reckless ticket for about 85 in a 25 residental. The cop said he wanted to take me to jail and all kinda stuff, he was ****ed big time. Two days later I went and talked to him at the station and apologized and showed him that I was remorsfull. He dropped the reckless ticket and gave me too fast for cond. and reduced my fine from 400 to 150. All this was done before I went to court, needless to say I didn't argue. Just try being honest and suck it up and apologize and tell him that you just got carried away. but don't go in there begging and pleaing with him. Just go in and apologize and tell him how sorry you are(be genuine). Then ask him if you have any options other than the reckless ticket. I even offered to do community service, because that ticket will show up on your record.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:00 PM

109 in a 65, that´s all I gotta say. Can´t wait to have to take care of that when I get back from Spain. I hate getting caught (not speeding, not cops) I just hate getting caught.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:24 PM

Also busted in richmond.

Ok I also got bagged in Richmond. I was on I-95N coming home to the BRONX,from my Fiance's house in chesterfield. I KNOW radar detectors r ILLEGAL in VA. So I decided to play it safe and while still in the major urban areas keep it in the glove box,figuring once I hit the coutry side stretch I'de take it out. Anyway,....Im on 95 driving with in the limits so I DONT get pulled over. Im in the middle lane behind to tractor trailers. I see the MARKED trooper coming up on my right rear,so I play it cool. I notice the thrucks start swerving and say F(_)CK THIS I'm not gonna wreck my car this way,and put on my left blinker and nail it to pass. When I pull back in the middle lane in front of the trucks,...The damn red & blues come on and Im bagged for "speeding". When he pulls me over,I hit the blinkers,rolled all the windows down and shut down the car with keys on the dashboard in plain view. He asks me if I knew why he pulled me over? I said no,I was speeding or anything. He tells me he clocked me at 74MPH while I was PASSING THE 2 TRUCKS (!!!!!),and that he had to write me up. I calmy said to him,..well officer how can I pass them If I DONT SPEED UP?!!? I didnt wanna drive next to or behind them cuz theyre swerving. He said well I gotta write ya up,..ur were speeding. He took my info and wrote me a ticket for 74 in a 55,which I hafta answer by the 18th of July.

So tell me WHO GOT SCREWED here,...ME or You? You were blatently speeding,...I was passing to trucks.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:26 PM

Also busted in richmond.

Ok I also got bagged in Richmond. I was on I-95N coming home to the BRONX,from my Fiance's house in chesterfield. I KNOW radar detectors r ILLEGAL in VA. So I decided to play it safe and while still in the major urban areas keep it in the glove box,figuring once I hit the coutry side stretch I'de take it out. Anyway,....Im on 95 driving with in the limits so I DONT get pulled over. Im in the middle lane behind to tractor trailers. I see the MARKED trooper coming up on my right rear,so I play it cool. I notice the thrucks start swerving and say F(_)CK THIS I'm not gonna wreck my car this way,and put on my left blinker and nail it to pass. When I pull back in the middle lane in front of the trucks,...The damn red & blues come on and Im bagged for "speeding". When he pulls me over,I hit the blinkers,rolled all the windows down and shut down the car with keys on the dashboard in plain view. He asks me if I knew why he pulled me over? I said no,I was speeding or anything. He tells me he clocked me at 74MPH while I was PASSING THE 2 TRUCKS (!!!!!),and that he had to write me up. I calmy said to him,..well officer how can I pass them If I DONT SPEED UP?!!? I didnt wanna drive next to or behind them cuz theyre swerving. He said well I gotta write ya up,..ur were speeding. He took my info and wrote me a ticket for 74 in a 55,which I hafta answer by the 18th of July.

So tell me WHO GOT SCREWED here,...ME or You? You were blatently speeding,...I was passing 2 trucks.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Arn

In the last 10 years ive had 4 tickets

3 in NY State (where I live)

1. 49 in a 35 total BS on this one(no way I was doing that)
2. 60 in a 45 totaly my fault....
3. 74 in a 55 my first ticket! and on an entrance ramp no less.

1 in NJ a 72 in a 55

Not one of these tickets increased my points or my ins rates..

Been with Allstate the whole time too. Hell even have a safe driver rate with them.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:26 PM

Re: Also busted in richmond.

Originally posted by Black2000maxima

So tell me WHO GOT SCREWED here,...ME or You? You were blatently speeding,...I was passing to trucks.
are you kidding me? one of the fundamentals of passing is that it is illegal to exceed the speed limit while passing. and you had the nerve to do it when you knew there was a cop behind you. yes, you got screwed...you screwed yourself.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:05 PM

I need a radar jammer
Old 07-08-2003, 07:48 PM

Re: Similar situation...

Originally posted by Polished2002
A friend of mine recently got a ticket in VA for wreckless driving. The cop said he clocked her at 94. Now she says that she couldn't have been going that fast, because her car is in need of balancing, and at that speed, the steering wheel would have been pulsating violently.

He gave her a court summons, and mentioned a maximum fine of $2500 or jail.

She is worried, and I tried to tell her that she is not going to have pay $2500 or go to jail. What exactly do you think she should do to get out of that situation. Will VA give her the opportunity to attend a class, pay the ticket, and get everything squared away.

Need advice. Any would be appreciated...
'

Is there a difference between exceeding the speed limit and reckless driving??? On my ticket (91 in a 65) the ticket is just checked off for speeding...

Need to know if I have a chance to get my points down. I'll pay the damn fine (I was guilty and I know it)....

Definitely learned my lesson.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Also busted in richmond.

are you kidding me? one of the fundamentals of passing is that it is illegal to exceed the speed limit while passing. and you had the nerve to do it when you knew there was a cop behind you. yes, you got screwed...you screwed yourself.
I don't think that's the case. You're allowed to exceed the speed limit to pass, as long as the speed reached is "reasonable". You have to make the pass "safely". Those two words are in quotes because it's up to the cop to determine whether the pass was performed reasonably and safely.

If he needed to speed up in order to avoid an accident with the trucks (giving him the benefit of the doubt that this is the case), then I don't think it's illegal to do so.

On the other hand, it's pretty stupid to be putting any risky behavior at all when you know there's a cop behind you -- don't give them any possible ammo against you.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:18 PM

Yes they can measure you while moving...
Our Traffic Department vehicles are equipped with this device:
http://www.mphindustries.com/product...ing_radar.html

Although we mostly use laser. A lot of times motorists are nabbed using the moving radar, we also have rear mounted ones also so whether you are coming or going, as long as you are in the field then you are done for.

Yes, alot of people hate cops, and most people call em "fools", "pigs", "idiots"; He was just doing his job. As a cadet; I am training for the Selective Traffic Enforcement Unit, which pretty much is dedicated to, as some state, "HARASS", drivers by setting up speed traps. My last participation included a small 35mph zone which crosses and acts as a shortcut from a very busy road, WE GAVE OUT 55 tickets within a 4 hour period! Needless to say EVERYBODY tagged was ****ED!! I was called "a$$hole", "PIGFOCKER", heh, I had a laser gun across the street just to train with it, You wont believe the faces people have when they get caught with their pants down.

Back on topic.. You can try and goto court man.. Sometimes officers say that, he has to prove that you were wreckless, if he would have tagged you with a certified device he would have to cite you for it. Being that he didnt cite you for speeding and giving the speed, you may win. I've seen it happen.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Also busted in richmond.

Originally posted by vito1281

I don't think that's the case. You're allowed to exceed the speed limit to pass, as long as the speed reached is "reasonable". You have to make the pass "safely". Those two words are in quotes because it's up to the cop to determine whether the pass was performed reasonably and safely.

no offense, but im pretty sure you are absolutely wrong. you are never allowed to exceed the speed limit. i know im not perfect, so i am not 100% sure that i am right but i would put money on it.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Also busted in richmond.

no offense, but im pretty sure you are absolutely wrong. you are never allowed to exceed the speed limit. i know im not perfect, so i am not 100% sure that i am right but i would put money on it.
I don't know the law, but common sense tells me that you're allowed to exceed the speed limit for a few seconds if it means you'll avoid getting trampled by a semi. If that's considered illegal, man, someone needs to look at that law again.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:23 AM
jjs

This may be of interest to some, but I do not guarantee it is up to date...for instance I know several counties in TX are not posted at 70/75 anymore.

As for the speed up while passing, use the 'find' function for 'passing' and you will find a reference to this.

This also shows clearly which states automatically consider certain speed to be reckless drivin infractions rather than just plain speeding tickets.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html
Old 07-09-2003, 09:40 AM

Re: Serious Ticket!!!!!

Originally posted by milellie111
THANKS EVERYONE!!
Virginia State Trooper? Radar Detectors are illigal in VA. He should have nailed you for that too. You can call Virginia Dept of Motor vehicals and ask if they report but for some reason I think they do. Good luck and I would never do 95 on rt 301.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Also busted in richmond.

Originally posted by vito1281

I don't know the law, but common sense tells me that you're allowed to exceed the speed limit for a few seconds if it means you'll avoid getting trampled by a semi. If that's considered illegal, man, someone needs to look at that law again.

see, i think about it differently. MY common sense tells me that a speed limit is a speed LIMIT, not a suggested speed that can be exceeded when the driver feels like its warranted.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html
"A few states, including Montana and Washington, allow drivers to exceed the speed limit while passing on two lane roads. "

and after searching through the Code of Virginia the only thing i can find is the laws regarding the speed limits. i have to assume that the speed limit laws are held to true in all cases (since the Code doeesnt specify otherwise):

"A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit. "

Quick Reply: Serious Ticket!!!!!