5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finally found the Max I was looking for! Few questions b4 I pick up the car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 07:49 AM

Finally found the Max I was looking for! Few questions b4 I pick up the car.

After 3 weeks of searching all over the net, local papers, and test driving 2 cars. I found the Maxima w/ the options my parents (car's for them) requested at the right price from a private dealer lot. 2002 Maxima GLE - 15.7K miles, charcoal grey, blk leather, HIDs, Bose w/ in-dash 6 CD Changer, basically fully loaded. The car is in overall very good conditon. It has it's share of minor scratches here and there, one door ding, over tiny tear in the back of the pass. seat, small stuff. But otherwise, it runs good. I did a carfax and it's a 1 owner off lease sold to an auction. Dealer says he bought it from the Nissan credit corporation.
So yeah, it's a long story but I managed to pull the price down to $18K from it's internet advertised price of $19,795. Dealer says this price really wasn't that negotiable because it was already the low "internet" price. Something I noticed when shopping for cars and going to the dealer. My local Nissan dealer had the same cars advertised on the net listed at 2-3K more at the dealer lot ?

I don't full trust this dealer as in the last minute he tried to sell the car to me at $18,250 as he wrote the bill of sale and the fact that he was insisting on being the one to register the car saying that HE HAS to do it since he's a dealer. I know this is false and that he just wants to make $$ off the fees. Everytime I talk to him on the phone, he gives me the guilt trip on how I'm stealing the car from him, he's losing money, blah blah blah. Anything I should look for (besides the basics) before handing over the check?

I'm also lil concerned on how we're going to get the car home (only 10-15 min. away) w/o it being registered. I doubt he'll have a temporary sticker. He mumbled he'd have one of his guys take car to my house but just in case. Is driving the car w/o plates/registration but w/ insurance after you just bought it a serious offense...lol?

Thanks guys!

BTW, anyone know off hand what the outer diameter of the steering wheel is? I'm gonna order the Disklok. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Finally found the Max I was looking for! Few questions b4 I pick up the car.

Originally posted by SurrealGTI
After 3 weeks of searching all over the net, local papers, and test driving 2 cars. I found the Maxima w/ the options my parents (car's for them) requested at the right price from a private dealer lot. 2002 Maxima GLE - 15.7K miles, charcoal grey, blk leather, HIDs, Bose w/ in-dash 6 CD Changer, basically fully loaded. The car is in overall very good conditon. It has it's share of minor scratches here and there, one door ding, over tiny tear in the back of the pass. seat, small stuff. But otherwise, it runs good. I did a carfax and it's a 1 owner off lease sold to an auction. Dealer says he bought it from the Nissan credit corporation.
So yeah, it's a long story but I managed to pull the price down to $18K from it's internet advertised price of $19,795. Dealer says this price really wasn't that negotiable because it was already the low "internet" price. Something I noticed when shopping for cars and going to the dealer. My local Nissan dealer had the same cars advertised on the net listed at 2-3K more at the dealer lot ?

I don't full trust this dealer as in the last minute he tried to sell the car to me at $18,250 as he wrote the bill of sale and the fact that he was insisting on being the one to register the car saying that HE HAS to do it since he's a dealer. I know this is false and that he just wants to make $$ off the fees. Everytime I talk to him on the phone, he gives me the guilt trip on how I'm stealing the car from him, he's losing money, blah blah blah. Anything I should look for (besides the basics) before handing over the check?

I'm also lil concerned on how we're going to get the car home (only 10-15 min. away) w/o it being registered. I doubt he'll have a temporary sticker. He mumbled he'd have one of his guys take car to my house but just in case. Is driving the car w/o plates/registration but w/ insurance after you just bought it a serious offense...lol?

Thanks guys!

BTW, anyone know off hand what the outer diameter of the steering wheel is? I'm gonna order the Disklok. Thanks!
That sounds a little high - brand-new 2k3's have been coming within a few thou of that. It depends on the region though, don't know where you live. And from the dealer's actions, he sounds VERY slimy.

>>>>>>>>>>EDIT: Doh! Missed the part where you said the price was down to $18k. That's actually pretty good for a GLE, but not outstanding - there have been several threads about people buying brand-new 2k3s (not GLE's) for $21k - $22k, and this car has a year of depreciation...I checked Edmunds, and for what it's worth they show the price as $20,200 based on my guess on your option and zip. <<<<<<<<<<<<<

My take would be to tell the dealer you're not interested at that price and see if he bites. Remember though, you have to be willing to risk losing the car to do this (meaning when you walk, you walk - for at least a day or two). Just my opinion, you need to decide on your (parents) best course of action. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2003, 11:05 AM

Yeah? I thought the price was very fair. 02' GLE, leather, bose, fully loaded, 15K miles for $18K. I've looked everywhere including the classifieds here and the blue books and compared to what I've seen, this price is lower. I'm from NY btw. And also, no dealers in my area have any leftover new 03's. I know loaded SE's went for around 24-25K 3 months ago but that's a big jump from 18K.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:21 AM

Yeah? I thought the price was very fair. 02' GLE, leather, bose, fully loaded, 15K miles for $18K. I've looked everywhere including the classifieds here and the blue books and compared to what I've seen, this price is lower. I'm from NY btw. And also, no dealers in my area have any leftover new 03's. I know loaded SE's went for around 24-25K 3 months ago but that's a big jump from 18K.

Yes your area definetely has an effect on the price of the car. I don't think that price is too bad. Anyways, I agree though, any dealer who tries to pull that kind of **** and uses high pressure tactics is a dirtball. (typical car salesman) Sounds like hes very motivated to move the car though.. you might try and work him down.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:16 PM

Hmmmm, I think you're right. Maybe he's playing like reverse psychology to make sure that I do buy the car. I really did think tho, that 18K was not just a "not bad" price but a good one. Honestly could not find anything cheaper. Guess it's the market here in NY.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:20 PM

You should have no problems driving the car home. If you should happen
to get pulled over, explain to the cop that you just bought it and
you're taking it home. Shouldn't be a problem.
From the way the dealer sounds, don't let him touch the car once you've
bought it. I already don't trust him.
That's just me though. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:02 AM

That is a good price, my friend just got a fully loaded 2003 GLE for $25K w/ Nav and everything, but it is brand new.

Joe
Old 07-14-2003, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by ItalianMax2kSE
That is a good price, my friend just got a fully loaded 2003 GLE for $25K w/ Nav and everything, but it is brand new.

Joe
Yeah + tax and tags = 26,500$
Old 07-14-2003, 09:57 AM

I think the price is good. I'm from NY too. I just paid 19 for my 02 loaded SE Same color, differnt color leather.

Sounds like a slimy dealer but thats typical well moreso than not. THough, I don't know why your adverse to getting tags from the dealer. Its a lot easier than going to DMV (especially with their hours)
Old 07-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Jer

Word of advice if it's a 2k2 in NY - superglue the HID's to the car. They get stolen a lot in the NY/NJ areas.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:15 PM

My friend's car was $25k after tags and tax

I was on Staten Island last night and saw a 2002 w/ a missing HID!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:21 PM

Price is very competitive. As far as driving w/o plates, reg, etc... Carry a signed Billof Sale in the car with you (its the law) until you can get plates and get proof of insurance right away. Then you can legally drive it. You may get pulled over and have to show these documents to the cop-but you're ok. If you don't believe me call your DOT or ask the police dept...they'll tell you.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:52 PM

Hertz has '02 and '03 SE/auto with warranty for $15,000-->$18,000 including return/exchange privileges and optional 100,000 mile warranty. Zero pressue, zero slime. They also know how to do temp registration.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Got the car although dealer truly insisted to register. Don't know what his real reason was, promised he wouldn't charge extra w/ the fees and will show all receipts but he says he's scared that we would lose or doing something wrong w/ the title. Title was clear of any liens but was titled to Nissan w/ it being signed over to his dealership. I guess the paperwork would be easier if he did it himself w/ his connections. Anyway, I really wanted to register the vehicle myself w/ thought of him jacking up the fees if he did it but I settled on him personally delivering the car to my house instead and him doing the registration first thing tommorrow morning.

I walked out on him w/ my parents when he said that he would not allow me to take the car home and that he has to register the car. He chased me after walking half a block.

In any case, I'm glad to have the car now. Just need to finalize everything and get it registered tomorrow. Hopefully there will be no problems w/ the title and of course w/ the car in general. Time to order some parts at Courtesy Nissan. Is this the OEM vendor of choice? Already have rubber floor mats, touch-up paint, wheel locks, oil filters on my list. Contemplating on whether the HID anti-theft kit is worth it.

Thanks again guys!