5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just for the hell of it, I test drove a WRX STI....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 04:30 PM

Just for the hell of it, I test drove a WRX STI....

First of all... I love my Maxima. I have a 2000 GXE autotragic. Ever since I've been driving...16 years... I've owned a Nissan. Lately, I have been getting tired of the sluggish pickup of my autoragic and have been tossing around the Idea of getting a 04 Max SE, or 350z. I test drove both, and was leaning toward the Max. I live in northern NY and the winters suck...so if I bought the 350z, I'd have to buy a winter rat(can't afford both my 00 max and a z)...the z is not a winter car....but my max does great with good snow tires. All was fine, I was going to buy the Max, but now this problem comes up.lol This WRX STI was the fastest car I've ever had the pleasure of driving. The ride and cabin room sucked compared to the max, but performance wize, the Max didn't hold a candle. I really liked the how the driver can control the torque split between the front and rear wheels....and I have never driven a car that corners like this. I'm sorry for rambling on and being slightly off topic, but this totally blindsided me, I never thought I'd consider buying a Subaru. Everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable on cars, so I figured Id ask some opinions from fellow Max owners. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:58 PM

if you like it, buy it. it's prolly a good trade-off in sportiness and winter...iness to make it a good candidate for you. you'll even get a trunk, albeit smaller than the max.

as long as you're shopping, why not try out the new evo too? they don't seem to be selling very well in LA, i've seen three on sale here. well, sticker price. they simply removed the dealer markup after a month.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did you notice any difference in the valve train sound before/after you drove the hell out of it?

Every subaru that i've driven (98 Outback Wagon, 00 Outback GT, 02 RS2.5, my mom owns the outback wagon), has had more valve train noise after driving them hard. Also they tend to have lots of piston slap, which is normal for the engine, but I hate it.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:47 AM

i'de get an sti over a max any given day... (if i was gonna get another car)
Old 08-06-2003, 06:03 AM

I personally wouldn't like its small interior size (Im 6'5 and 250). But everything else about it is great! ALso its VERY mod - able.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:12 AM

Thank you, I appreciate your input. One thing I love about my Max is the reliability and the comfort of knowing I can drive it 200+k miles. Are these things somewhat reliable? Am I violating the Terms of Service by asking quesions about another car on this forum? If so, I apologize, and will not ask again. Oh, and yes, I did drive the EVO. I like the STI better... It just seems more solid.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:16 AM
NT2SHBBY

STI is nice for quick power and the AWD prolly ownz all, but in so far as comfort and room, coupled with more than adequate power, the Maxima 3.5 OWNZ

Old 08-06-2003, 06:20 AM
is invisible

Re: Just for the hell of it, I test drove a WRX STI....

Originally posted by Dave1220
but performance wize, the Max didn't hold a candle.[/B]
Phew...that's a relief!

Honestly, I'd even take a WRX (non-Sti) over a Max.
The car is so much damn fun! Of course the interior basically sucks and rear quarters are tighter than many sub-compacts, but what can you expect from an Impreza?
A good friend has one and now claims he's sold on Subaru (at least the WRX!).
The STi is in another league!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:40 AM

Maybe it's just the old age talking (28), but I would never get a WRX or a STI. They look like little **** boxes. Yes, they are fast and fun to drive, but could you imagine taking a long road trip in a very cramped interior? I just don't think it is a very ideal everyday car.

BTW, I am been looking for a project car; either a 240 with SR swap or an older Supra. Whatever it is, it will be very loud and uncomfortable but fast and fun.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:50 AM

Now I feel really old.lol I'm 31.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:53 AM

the sti's definitely have that fun-factor.... and boy, those are one of the fastest cars you will EVER drive..... they do however lack in luxury and probably comfort... it all boils down to what you consider is more important......
Old 08-06-2003, 06:59 AM

I'm 32.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:20 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by Lumbee1
Yes, they are fast and fun to drive, but could you imagine taking a long road trip in a very cramped interior? I just don't think it is a very ideal everyday car.
It depends.
How big are you? My friend is 6'2" and he fits in it just fine(with the seat all the way back!).
Do you have a family? Are you taking anyone along with you?

As for the ride, you'd be surprised how solid and smooth the WRX feels on the freeway. I wouldn't expect it to feel as luxurious as a flagship FWD family car.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:30 AM
Banned

I'd say get it IF the interior room (or lack thereof) suits you. I haven't driven one, and better yet, haven't seen one outside of a magazine photo, but they sure look/sound like nice *** cars for the money.

If you can tolerate the lack of creature comforts (although your 2000 GXE probably doesn't offer that many either), lack of room, POSSIBLE maintenance issues (turbo, etc), then go ahead and get it. You only live once, so if this is something that you want and can afford, by all means, go ahead and get it.

If you end up not liking it, you can probably sell it for a decent price since they're new and will hold their value somewhat at first. So you can't really lose here.

By the way, the AWD will be godsend in the NY winter snow. I wish my Max was AWD.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:38 AM

the interior can always be enhanced... that's my motto... so the more basic the interior is, the more you can work with it... but having a good baseline performance is always alot better.. and a car that has alot of potential.. the maxima imo has some potential,but not as much as the wrx/ wrx sti
Old 08-06-2003, 07:50 AM

HEY...

Subaru is coming out with a TURBO forester. It is actually faster than the standard WRX (not sure bout STI) It does 0 - 60 in 5.3 seconds!!!

It has more room, AWD (for the snow up in 'dem dar parts)....

and best of all....

you get to look like a driving it!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:01 AM
MAKSYMALNY

I would NEVER pay $31k for such a tiny little car.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Now I feel really old.lol I'm 31.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:17 AM
jjs

An alternative...

I am waiting to see in person...

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/s...ent..0.Subaru*
Old 08-06-2003, 08:29 AM

The STi is hot, but can't beat the Max...where are you from in Upper State?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:31 AM

Re: An alternative...

Originally posted by jjs
I am waiting to see in person...

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/s...ent..0.Subaru*
OMG...that's actually pretty tiz-ight....
Old 08-06-2003, 08:35 AM
jjs

Originally posted by SportyMax2002
The STi is hot, but can't beat the Max...where are you from in Upper State?
You better be talking about size and comfort.

Performance wise: (hp/tq/curb weight)

STi: 300/300/3263
'03 Max: 255/246/3239
Old 08-06-2003, 08:44 AM

Not by performance, I know it could beat us...I am talking about how small it is, you can't even fit two adults in the back, no luxury = no fun...
Old 08-06-2003, 08:47 AM
jjs

Originally posted by SportyMax2002
Not by performance, I know it could beat us...I am talking about how small it is, you can't even fit two adults in the back, no luxury = no fun...
Just checking!!

I agree...I am getting too old to run around in an econo-box, no matter how suped-up it is.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by 00gxe5sp
HEY...

Subaru is coming out with a TURBO forester. It is actually faster than the standard WRX (not sure bout STI) It does 0 - 60 in 5.3 seconds!!!

It has more room, AWD (for the snow up in 'dem dar parts)....

and best of all....

you get to look like a driving it!!!
Yes! they have been out for a little while now (2.5XT), I seriously considered one before getting my 6-SPD, I test drove the hell out of a Forester XT at my local Subaru dealer, well its definately very fast but there were a few issues I didnt like such as crappy shifter (well to me) I just couldnt shift it right. Maybe some practice would make it better.

Then after I bought my max, I raced the same XT whith the sales guy driving it and it lost, so I seriously doubt the 0-60 time of 5.3 secs, if it were true it wouldve killed me!

----------------------------

Btw, I drove a Lancer EVO a few times and I feel that the Evo handles better than the STI and also IMO it has faster steering. Try them both, I think you will agree.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:52 AM

I'm in Syracuse... home of the 200" ANNUAL SNOWFALL.lol I'm 5'10, no kids/wife... So it's still somewhat practical...size wise. But 31k for a tiny car is also my concern. The STI 0-60 times I've seen in the mags and the net average about 4.2-4.5 sec. On the test drive, the salesman didn't let me really gun it.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:55 AM

Oh, and if your max doesn't do well in the winter... I can't stress the importance of getting really good snow tires. I got the Goodyear Ultragrip Ice... about $800, but worth every penny. I would frequently pass SUV's on deeply snow covered roads.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:57 AM

Its all in what you're looking for.

the WRX STI is faster, handles better etc etc..

If thats all you're looking for, don't even look at the Max.

I had an old school SE-R (92) it was not nearly as fast as the WRX but similar in concept. It was stripped, handled like it was on rails and was fast (for an econobox 0-60 in the mid-high 7s) I sold it bought an infiniti, then a VW, now the Max. Its all question as to what you're looking for at the time.

You can't make the WRX as comfortable as the Max. Not possible without completely ruining the WRX.

I bought the Max for the creature comforts as well as performance. Everything is a compromise...comfort for performance... pick your level, then look at the cars.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:58 AM

I wouldn't think twice. It would have already been in the driveway. Good luck if you decide to get it. Def spend some good time with both the STi and EVO.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:01 AM

Oh, and if your max doesn't do well in the winter... I can't stress the importance of getting really good snow tires. I got the Goodyear Ultragrip Ice... about $800, but worth every penny. I would frequently pass SUV's on deeply snow covered roads.
BS!!! your pathetic CAR can't outperform a much superior 4x4 SUV!!! j/k
Old 08-06-2003, 09:09 AM

Re: ...

Originally posted by GhettoMAX

Yes! they have been out for a little while now (2.5XT), I seriously considered one before getting my 6-SPD, I test drove the hell out of a Forester XT at my local Subaru dealer, well its definately very fast but there were a few issues I didnt like such as crappy shifter (well to me) I just couldnt shift it right. Maybe some practice would make it better.

Then after I bought my max, I raced the same XT whith the sales guy driving it and it lost, so I seriously doubt the 0-60 time of 5.3 secs, if it were true it wouldve killed me!

----------------------------

Btw, I drove a Lancer EVO a few times and I feel that the Evo handles better than the STI and also IMO it has faster steering. Try them both, I think you will agree.

NO...maybe you're talking about the AUTO, or it was the 2.5X?? (not XT??)

Here is the specs from Car and Driver ...

"The force-fed flat-four's combination of torque, gearing, and weight will get you a blazing 0-to-60 time of 5.3 seconds and a quarter-mile of 13.8 seconds at 97 mph"

OR...maybe the dude couldn't drive???
Old 08-06-2003, 09:41 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by GhettoMAX

BS!!! your pathetic CAR can't outperform a much superior 4x4 SUV!!! j/k
"outperform"

that is the funniest word when it comes to all of the 'suburbanite' SUVs (which, let's agree, MOST of the SUVs are driven by the soccer-mom types who would never have the need to run 4x4).

Unless you are talking about the back trails around Provo, every car on the road has just as good of a chance in snow as the other... an SUV isn't better "performance" wise in the snow, because you have just as much of a chance to go off of the road in snow or ice as you do driving a Ford Fiesta... and a lot of the SUV drivers don't know how to drive in 4x4 anyway (hence, I talk to those who do 60, 65, 70mph in 4wd... bad, bad on the front trans).

just my .02

Old 08-06-2003, 09:42 AM

My $.02

My opinion is to scrap the WRX STI,and look closer at the EVO8. It posts almost all the same times as the STI. The STI if Im not mistaken is only better in the 1/4 mile. Otherwise the EVO out handles,brakes,and basically just outperforms the STI. As far as performance goes,the EVO is already running at 19PSI boost. Which doesnt leave much room for tuning with a stock turbo set up. A Bigger turbo,more air/fuel,spark,and more boost and u can be easily pushing over 400+HP.The STI can make pretty much the same numbers. But u would then still hafta upgrade the brakes,susp.,and put it on a diet to get the handling numbers from the STI that u can get from a stock EVO.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:46 AM

Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by 00gxe5sp

NO...maybe you're talking about the AUTO, or it was the 2.5X?? (not XT??)

Here is the specs from Car and Driver ...

"The force-fed flat-four's combination of torque, gearing, and weight will get you a blazing 0-to-60 time of 5.3 seconds and a quarter-mile of 13.8 seconds at 97 mph"

OR...maybe the dude couldn't drive???
it was a 5spd stick 2.5XT like I said the same one I had test driven before. He did the initial driving to show off the XT when I went in and he drove it very hard. Crazy hard. (thats also part of the reason I didnt want to buy that particular XT)

I was also surprised when I pulled on it. I wont argue with you that it could be that he still doesnt know how to utilize the full potential of it. On the other had I was also having tough time keeping my tires from shredding apart. He jumped ahead at first but when I shifted to second then third I was pulling ahead of him.

I posted this in more detail a few weeks back.

Either the C&D specs are off (which I do highly doubt) or the guy missed a shift (which could also happen) either way I wont doubt the speed of the XT!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY

"outperform"

that is the funniest word when it comes to all of the 'suburbanite' SUVs (which, let's agree, MOST of the SUVs are driven by the soccer-mom types who would never have the need to run 4x4).

Unless you are talking about the back trails around Provo, every car on the road has just as good of a chance in snow as the other... an SUV isn't better "performance" wise in the snow, because you have just as much of a chance to go off of the road in snow or ice as you do driving a Ford Fiesta... and a lot of the SUV drivers don't know how to drive in 4x4 anyway (hence, I talk to those who do 60, 65, 70mph in 4wd... bad, bad on the front trans).

just my .02
MAKSYMALNY,

I was simply being sarcastic (I did say "j/k" and insert a "") to make sure others will know that I was not being serious.

Anyways, you are right. and not to mention a lot of these so called "4x4 SUVS" are instead 4x2's and the owners dont know the difference! lol.. just like more than half of the women in my company that drive these hideous contraptions.

IMO RWD on snow is hard to control than a FWD but in my maximas case anything is better than it with the stock Potanzas
Old 08-06-2003, 10:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1...baru/100278086

Damn that Legacy is nice! FINALLY Subaru is getting their head out of their ***** and importing the Japan version of the B4 Legacy series that's been available forever in Japan. YEARS ago, it had a TT engine that put out a conservative 280hp. I saw one in Japan years back and from what I could figure out, it was about $24-$28k USD.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1...baru/100278086

Damn that Legacy is nice! FINALLY Subaru is getting their head out of their ***** and importing the Japan version of the B4 Legacy series that's been available forever in Japan. YEARS ago, it had a TT engine that put out a conservative 280hp. I saw one in Japan years back and from what I could figure out, it was about $24-$28k USD.
New issue of C&D shows a black one. In the text it says that the japanese version tested did 0-62MPH in 5.8 seconds!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:29 AM

Yo, Im going to drop in on this ball game late. The STI is nice and all but I would consider the EVO over it. Yes it has more power than the EVO but the EVO that is sold here is watered down just a tadbit. The EVO handles better though. If its straight line performance you want then get the STI, If you want to go track the EVO will avenge. If Nissan getz there head right they should pick up on whats going on with these all wheel drives and give us what most maxima drivers really want. Hit as with the All wheel Drive GTR-Spec V. Then you can have your cake and Icing.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

Funny, in all the tests that I read, the performance of these two are so close, the main difference would be the driver. And which "track" do you mean? The 1/4 mile track? Again mostly a driver's race. But these cars are RALLEY derived cars and not 1/4 cars. They just happen to perform well in the 1/4 by default.

Originally posted by ace_khreem
Yo, Im going to drop in on this ball game late. The STI is nice and all but I would consider the EVO over it. Yes it has more power than the EVO but the EVO that is sold here is watered down just a tadbit. The EVO handles better though. If its straight line performance you want then get the STI, If you want to go track the EVO will avenge. If Nissan getz there head right they should pick up on whats going on with these all wheel drives and give us what most maxima drivers really want. Hit as with the All wheel Drive GTR-Spec V. Then you can have your cake and Icing.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:43 PM
Maxima Pilot

And no need yet for Viagra, sank u bery moch.

If I were to get bitten by the 'gotta have a fun car to mod' bug, I would choose a Porsche 944 Turbo...awesome brakes, suspension, chassis; all it would need would be an engine rebuild and the standard turbo tweaks.

Da-yam!

Quick Reply: Just for the hell of it, I test drove a WRX STI....