5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 04:11 PM

Got a ticket

I got a F... ticket. i was going through this little crappy town on the way to my girlfriends and the speedlimit was 50. i was going 50 for about 5 miles and then the two cars in front of starting speeding up to about 60. we did this for about 2-3 minutes and then i see a state trooper going in the opposite direction on the two lane highway. I couldn't really brake b/c of the person behind me who was going the same speed as me. I waited for about 2-3 minutes and then i saw a 70 MPH sign. i proceeded to speed up but then looked in my rearview mirror and there was the statetrooper(Mr *****). he Pulled three of us over and gave us all tickets. mine was 64 in a 50. i could of sworn the speed limit was 60 by that point. I ask him how fast i was going and he said 64 mph. I then said what was the charge. he said speeding b/c the limit was 50. i say ok and then look up to see the 70 Mph sign about 50 yards. damn am i unlucky. i hate small town cops. They are all ****s(mostly ****s). whatever, he was out for his quota and i looked tasty and rich. you know, the maxima and all
Old 08-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Yep...been there done that.

He even says, "oh these new Maximas ride so nice you can't tell how fast you're going". I had temp plates, so he knew the car was new.

Still gave me the ticket though. Ordered a V1 the next day and haven't got another ticket *yet* in 2.5yrs.. ***** cruises that small stretch of road on purpose, since the speed limit drops to 55mph. I've been *alerted* to his radar more then once and saved meeting him again.

Now I drive like a mad man worse then EVER, but between the V1 and traffic school, I could give a *** less if I get a ticket every now and then. Especially, since I drive through 3-states on a monthly basis, so I can get 3-tickets(1-per state) every 2yrs.. However, in CA you can petition the court to allow you to do ONLINE traffic school after 6-months, since your last ticket. Got to love them CA laws!!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:57 AM
MAKSYMALNY

The way I look at it, it sounds like you are crying. Own up and take the hit like a man... you were speeding... you COULD have slowed down, and he nailed all three of you... a good kill for him.

What rubs me the wrong way is the "MR ****" comment (I've found MOST state troopers are highly professional), the "They are all ****s" comment, etc. Sounds like you have a problem with authority... next time, view them as human and own up, you'd be amazed how flexible they can be. I've seen people get out of tickets doing 80 in a 55 just for being respectful and civil...

Old 08-14-2003, 08:04 AM
jjs

Originally posted by MAKSYMALNY
The way I look at it, it sounds like you are crying. Own up and take the hit like a man... you were speeding... you COULD have slowed down, and he nailed all three of you... a good kill for him.

What rubs me the wrong way is the "MR ****" comment (I've found MOST state troopers are highly professional), the "They are all ****s" comment, etc. Sounds like you have a problem with authority... next time, view them as human and own up, you'd be amazed how flexible they can be. I've seen people get out of tickets doing 80 in a 55 just for being respectful and civil...

You also have to love the attitude of...

"whatever, he was out for his quota and i looked tasty and rich. you know, the maxima and all"

Uh, OK...a Maxima is about a $30K car at best. Now if you call that 'rich' driving, the world will give a very rude awakening some day.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:04 AM

I am always respectful. I think it probably is the only reason i have goptten out of some tickets but the state troopers in texas are generally asses. I live in houston and haev meet many nice cops but it always seems that the statetroopers around houston and in the surrounding small cities are out for blood. The ticket he gaev me was deserved but i am just saying hje was a **** about it when all he had to do was be nice instead of a hard ***. i have had my fair share of tickets and i have kidded around with the cops that have pulled me over. i just hate it when they are on their little power trips.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:12 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Luquire
I am always respectful. I think it probably is the only reason i have goptten out of some tickets but the state troopers in texas are generally asses. I live in houston and haev meet many nice cops but it always seems that the statetroopers around houston and in the surrounding small cities are out for blood. The ticket he gaev me was deserved but i am just saying hje was a **** about it when all he had to do was be nice instead of a hard ***. i have had my fair share of tickets and i have kidded around with the cops that have pulled me over. i just hate it when they are on their little power trips.
Also being in Houston, I can somewhat agree that troopers are rather rigid in their giving out of tickets.

But look at it from the perspective of what they are hired to do...enforce traffic/speed laws. The best way for any enforcement agency to deal with problems (speeding, etc.) is to prevent them in the first place. How do you do that effectively? By ticketing everyone who breaks the law (however stupid some of us may think a given law is)...that way the 'fear' of being pulled over often has the motorist policing himself.

No, I do not personally obey every single little law, but from a defensive driving dismissal class I once had to take (before these take home tests), a very good comment was made once...

"Ok, you got pulled over. Look back at all the times you DID break a traffic law but WEREN'T caught. This time you were. As a percentage, you are doing well."
Old 08-14-2003, 08:13 AM
MAKSYMALNY

It isn't a power trip... they are an authority and are performing their duties. You were in the wrong, plain and simple. Deal with it.

I know several DPS officers in TX... including one in the Houston area, and he is pretty da$n professional (and a National Guard soldier). I know that if he gets ****ed off, you've done something wrong or said something smart a$$ed to make him mad.

Also... they don't "have" to be "nice" about it. Troopers are usually up front, blunt, and professional. They don't mess around... and if they pull you over and write you up, it's because you were wrong and you're getting a ticket. I've found more variance in 'attitude' of an officer with local cops.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:22 AM

If there was another car in back of you you could always try to argue that the trooper was not pacing you and can't really say how fast you were going.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:24 AM
jjs

Originally posted by bert
If there was another car in back of you you could always try to argue that the trooper was not pacing you and can't really say how fast you were going.
Read it again. They all got tickets.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:24 AM

I know i deserved the. Ticket am not proffesing my innocence. I am just saying that from my experience state troopers are much harsher than the houston cops i have had the priveledge of meeting. I dont ever do anything consciously to upset the cops. I just guess i am biassed b/c i went to Baylor(aka the school in waco) and all the surrounding cops were State Troopers and all the cops in waco were local. The wac cops were always nice and the surrounding cops were jsut out to make a bust. i have seen them time and time again. my friend even got pulled over for going 4 over. i mean they could of waited another 5 minutes and gotten someone who was creating more of a threat. i just always saw the Troopers being a nuisance more than a help. Everyone had learned about speeding through those towns but every once in a while someone would be stupid and go about 10 over. That deserves a ticket, but my friend that is just a slip of the peddle.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm needing a caw

You know, it's one thing for a trooper to cruise the highway and give tickets to those that are speeding in the name of safety etc... But it's another to hang out in a KNOWN short stretch of highway that happens to have a really low speed limit and pick people off like flys. I know some areas have low speed limits because there is a town or an intersection but come on.

Also I see troopers HIDING. If they were so interested in getting people to slow down, why HIDE?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:42 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Also I see troopers HIDING. If they were so interested in getting people to slow down, why HIDE?
Very easily. If they hide, you don't know where they are so any blind curve/underpass/etc. could potentially have a trooper there...guess what? You slow down.

If you see them on the shoulder or with traffic (hopefully the other direction) you are more likely to speed up since you are 'out of range' (or at least you think so).

Again, I DO NOT agree with the world as it is, just trying to EXPLAIN some of the stuff out there.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:47 AM
scopium

Re: Got a ticket

I got a F... ticket. i was going through this little crappy town on the way to my girlfriends and the speedlimit was 50. i was going 50 for about 5 miles and then the two cars in front of starting speeding up to about 60. we did this for about 2-3 minutes and then i see a state trooper going in the opposite direction on the two lane highway. I couldn't really brake b/c of the person behind me who was going the same speed as me. I waited for about 2-3 minutes and then i saw a 70 MPH sign. i proceeded to speed up but then looked in my rearview mirror and there was the statetrooper(Mr *****). he Pulled three of us over and gave us all tickets. mine was 64 in a 50. i could of sworn the speed limit was 60 by that point. I ask him how fast i was going and he said 64 mph. I then said what was the charge. he said speeding b/c the limit was 50. i say ok and then look up to see the 70 Mph sign about 50 yards. damn am i unlucky. i hate small town cops. They are all ****s(mostly ****s). whatever, he was out for his quota and i looked tasty and rich. you know, the maxima and all
You know what.. if he was goin the opposite was of your direction there is no way he could tell how fast you were goin with the radar... you can fight it in court... the cop has to be at a stop and get u on radar in order to give u a ticket

Old 08-14-2003, 09:47 AM

I agree if someone is wreckless enough to speed when a trooper is just sitting there then he deserevs it but if the trooper is hiding then what the hell. I know they need to be sneaky to catch people but i had a HPD cop clock me from the feeder road where he was hiding in an allie-way. he proceeded to pull up on me with his Headlights OFF(this was around 2AM). That was bull****. I got the ticket and took defensiev driving but come on that was a little extreme. This happened about 2 years ago
Old 08-14-2003, 09:54 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Got a ticket

Originally posted by scopium

You know what.. if he was goin the opposite was of your direction there is no way he could tell how fast you were goin with the radar... you can fight it in court... the cop has to be at a stop and get u on radar in order to give u a ticket
You have alot to learn about radar.

http://www.astroproducts.net/phantompatrol.htm
Old 08-14-2003, 09:57 AM

I can't believe 1 Trooper pulled 3 of you over.
I've never stopped when in a group and the lights go on.
The Trooper will usually take the easy pickens ..... the 1st idiot that stops.
He got all 3 of you .... man I bet that was the tale of the day back at the ranch.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:18 AM

I do not live on a ranch, A$$. but that was funny
Old 08-14-2003, 10:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

You know, there is probably no way the trooper could have clocked ALL of you. I guess his logic is "if I clocked the 1st guy at xx and if the other two were going just as fast, then they must have been going xx also". Fine but I don't think that holds up in court. What did the ticket say? Radar?? If so, how did he manage to point the radar at ALL of you? How did he know the registered speed was that of YOUR car and not a reflection off of the other two??
Old 08-14-2003, 10:29 AM
jjs

I do not live on a ranch, A$$. but that was funny
He DIDN'T mean YOUR ranch!!!

He meant ranch, as in police station.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:30 AM

Well being a Police Officer myself, attitude is everything. if you come off strong and ask what you have done right off the bat then its common for the officer to know you have aproblem. Even before I was a police officer when I got pulled over I knew what for, whether is was speeing or something else. I usually walk up to the car and ask the driver for their license, registration and insurance. If they already have it, thats even better. It's always better to let the officer tell you what you have done this way you can reply back like sorry about that or well officer wasn't really paying attention even though I should have. Just be cool with thew cops, remember they are human just like everyone else. Hey I like to go out and run some speed too, have a drink or whatever just like anyone else. Thats the problem these days, alot of people watch to much TV and all the bad press about cops but let me guess, when someone is hurt or someone needs help, whats the first phone # people call for help. Always remember, we are human just like you and love to have fun!!!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:35 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Re: Re: Got a ticket

Originally posted by scopium

You really are a clueless wonder, aren't you?

Ever heard of "instant on" radar? It's a laser that instantly gives the speed of the signature... and is usable while mobile (and can also give a reading of the speed of the car BEHIND the trooper).

Old 08-14-2003, 10:38 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by Jeff92se
You know, there is probably no way the trooper could have clocked ALL of you. I guess his logic is "if I clocked the 1st guy at xx and if the other two were going just as fast, then they must have been going xx also". Fine but I don't think that holds up in court. What did the ticket say? Radar?? If so, how did he manage to point the radar at ALL of you? How did he know the registered speed was that of YOUR car and not a reflection off of the other two??
The ticket doesn't necessarily say "radar". The cop can very justifiably testify in court that the other cars were traveling at relatively the same speed, and that he clocked the first one and obtained a relative speed for ALL THREE. They've been able to do that for years. And it is all about physics.

Old 08-14-2003, 10:44 AM

Well once again, as a police officer I will say the radar is just a tool, when a police officer learns how to use it he/she is suppose to know the speed of the car themselves and only use the radar as help in determining the vehicles speed. As far as laser radar, forget about it, that thing will clock you as soon as it see's you. Remember lasers can go pretty damn far these days.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yes I've seen it done also. But it's still being guilty by association. Technically he never actually saw his car going xxx miles. Technically he never clocked the car going xxx miles. You only have to be able to raise enough reasonable doubt. Especially if the officer wasn't able to watch the 3 cars for any reasonable length of time. ie.. how do you know 1-2 cars were slowing down/speeding up etc.....???

The ticket doesn't necessarily say "radar". The cop can very justifiably testify in court that the other cars were traveling at relatively the same speed, and that he clocked the first one and obtained a relative speed for ALL THREE. They've been able to do that for years. And it is all about physics.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:50 AM
jttaylor155

why is it that once a week there a post wining about getting a ticket. then it gets to debates about "how radars work" "how can a cop prove i was speeding"
if you dont want a ticket DONT SPEED!!!
if you do speed and get a ticket SUCK IT UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF IT. STOP WINNING, WE DONT CARE"

Old 08-14-2003, 10:52 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by jttaylor155
why is it that once a week there a post wining about getting a ticket. then it gets to debates about "how radars work" "how can a cop prove i was speeding"
if you do speed and get a ticket SUCK IT UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF IT. STOP WINNING, WE DONT CARE"

Old 08-14-2003, 10:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

Funny you should mention that. I got caught speeding while passing on the HOV lane!! I mean I was dead in the water guilty. As soon as I saw the officer pull out on his bike, I just got onto the far right lane, looked for a nice wide spot to pull off and put my hands on the steering wheel. Once he knocked on the window, I had my insurance card and license ready for him. He thanked me for pulling over so fast and for having my stuff ready. I just gave him my info and said "man, sorry about that". He came back and said, "dude, you know you can't do that kind of stuff". "Slow down". No ticket! Man that was nice! But I believe it was because I knew I was guilty and just pulled over as fast as I could. No use in making it harder for the officer to pull me over.

Originally posted by hct67
Well being a Police Officer myself, attitude is everything. if you come off strong and ask what you have done right off the bat then its common for the officer to know you have aproblem. Even before I was a police officer when I got pulled over I knew what for, whether is was speeing or something else. I usually walk up to the car and ask the driver for their license, registration and insurance. If they already have it, thats even better. It's always better to let the officer tell you what you have done this way you can reply back like sorry about that or well officer wasn't really paying attention even though I should have. Just be cool with thew cops, remember they are human just like everyone else. Hey I like to go out and run some speed too, have a drink or whatever just like anyone else. Thats the problem these days, alot of people watch to much TV and all the bad press about cops but let me guess, when someone is hurt or someone needs help, whats the first phone # people call for help. Always remember, we are human just like you and love to have fun!!!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:32 AM
jttaylor155

well i guess that shut people up

Old 08-14-2003, 11:34 AM
jjs

well i guess that shut people up
Not really. We just got bored.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:37 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Originally posted by jjs

Not really. We just got bored.

some of us also have WORK to do...

Old 08-14-2003, 11:39 AM
jttaylor155

some of us also have WORK to do...
hey im working too

Old 08-14-2003, 01:37 PM

f....g cops guys, i hate the cops i dont undertsand why we have to respect them if they dont respect us... the state troopers here in CT are bicthes
Old 08-14-2003, 01:40 PM
jjs

Originally posted by GreekMaxima
f....g cops guys, i hate the cops i dont undertsand why we have to respect them if they dont respect us... the state troopers here in CT are bicthes
Taking any medication for those issues of yours?
Old 08-14-2003, 02:15 PM

hct67 -- you maybe should mention that one key line in the officer offense manual, or whatever it's called, "unless otherwise deemed necessary by an officer's reasonable and prudent judgement" I believe it says this after the textbook definition of each violation.
In other words, if the officer, as a trained professional, thinks you are screwing up he has the right to bust your chops!
Old 08-14-2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by GreekMaxima

I hear that.......CT trooper are ******!!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by brianc
I can't believe 1 Trooper pulled 3 of you over.
I've never stopped when in a group and the lights go on.
The Trooper will usually take the easy pickens ..... the 1st idiot that stops.
He got all 3 of you .... man I bet that was the tale of the day back at the ranch.
on our way back from panama city after spring break vacation, one cop pulled over all of us (5 cars).... it was late at nite.... and he sped by all of us.... got in front of the first car who was leading.... stopped his car to block him off.... gets out and signals for all of us to pull off to the side...........gave us all tickets.............. we call him supercop.....
Old 08-14-2003, 02:42 PM
MAKSYMALNY

You guys don't realize how often this occurs. It happened to me (lead vehicle) and 4 other vehicles (train behind me) in 1990... by a "good ol boy" North Carolina Sheriff.

It happens. Deal with it.

Man, I can't believe the hostility towards law enforcement... funny thing is, some of you will probably end up going into law enforcement. Ironic.

Old 08-14-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

You got pulled over. You got a ticket. But did you fight it?

You guys don't realize how often this occurs. It happened to me (lead vehicle) and 4 other vehicles (train behind me) in 1990... by a "good ol boy" North Carolina Sheriff.

It happens. Deal with it.

Man, I can't believe the hostility towards law enforcement... funny thing is, some of you will probably end up going into law enforcement. Ironic.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

My .02, which aint worth jack.

Not all cops are good/bad. I've known quite a few personally and met ENOUGH on the side of the road. Personally, all but one are some of the coolest laid back guys I've ever known. Out on the road, I've met 8 or so, and it's pretty much been 50/50. For the crap job they have to put up with, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Personal:
1)Mom's boyfriend when I was a teen. Very cool.
2)Buddy from high school, became a sheriff. Very very cool.
3)Several through work/friends and they've all been very friendly and nice to hang with.

Street:
1)Metro NV cop pulls up next to me at a light and begins to cuss and chew me out. Even threatened to pull me out of the car and F-ing beat my azz. To this day, I have NO idea what the hell I did.
2)Another cop attempts to race me, but I don't play in his off duty 4x4 Chevy truck. Then he proceeds to ride my azz on a 4-lane road when I won't go any faster(probably 10 over posted) and flips on some hidden red/blue lights behind his grille. As I pull over, he just blows by. So, I run out a few gears and catch him down the road thinking those are cool, how can I get some(stupid teen at the time!). I pull up and he rolls down his window, I then realize it's a cop and the SAME cop as 1) and he again proceeds to cuzz me out and tell me next time he sees me in his cruiser, he's hauling me in. Luckily, I never meet the guy again.
3)I get into a car accident with a parked car being stupid and meet several cops who were all cool.
4)GF gets pulled over doing 20mph over and he lets her go. WTF?!? Another good.
5)Some b!tch in a beatup old POS pickup tries to block me in as I'm trying to get by on the right lane before a bus slows down. She accelerates, so do I, I win. Cop sees that, pulls me over, gives me 5-6 tickets for anything he could pull out of his book. Plus, he was a MEAN *****. Every time I opened my mouth, he proceeded to start SCREAMING while being bright red.
6)Get pulled over for speeding in previous post. I'd say the cop was NEUTRAL on my good/bad scale.
7)Get pulled over on my electric scooter riding to work in the bicycle lane. I act cool, he seems cool, then says he's going to write me a ticket. I proceed to then debate for around 45mins. with him on state statues pertaining to the classification of a motorized vehicle he pulls out of his BMW cycle hardpacks. He lets me go. AZZHOLE to the end. More on this story happens later, but I don't feel like typing it.
8)After not riding my scooter for >1yr. and finding out BMW cop is no longer on duty, I ride my scooter 1.5 days and get pulled over again. This guy was VERY very cool. He was more interested in my scooter then anything. Let me off with a warning.

Anyways, I'm not sure why I cared to type all that, but I'd just like to make sure people understand I'm not ANTI-cop and anyone who is, doesn't deserve the protection they provide us.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If highway speed limits were reasonable, if cops pulled over dangerous drivers rather than "speeding" drivers, and if speeding ticket quotas were discontinued, this good-cop bad-cop debate would be a thing of the past. Road cops are put in a tough situation. Police I've met have been mostly cool.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket