5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hints for putting glove box back ON?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:47 AM

hints for putting glove box back ON?

Help! I removed my glove box last night to wash the in cabin microfilter (yes, mine has a sticker that talks about washing it). Removing it wasn't so bad, but putting the whole glovebox back in has proved to be nearly impossible for me. I struggled for nearly an hour to no avail. (I feel so dumb.) The instructions on Courtesy Nissan's site are too general (yeah, I know I'm supposed to remove the latch, box, and not to disconnect the airbag connector), but don't give any details about how to put it all back.

I seem to have multiple probs all at once. I can't seem to get everything aligned right. I can get the top aligned right screw holes, but not the bottom or vice versa. I can't seem to push the right side closest to the door in towards left it seems...

Anyone have any hints? Or anyone in the Seattle area willing to help me?
Old 08-18-2003, 07:03 AM
jjs

Re: hints for putting glove box back ON?

Originally posted by cwerdna
Help! I removed my glove box last night to wash the in cabin microfilter (yes, mine has a sticker that talks about washing it). Removing it wasn't so bad, but putting the whole glovebox back in has proved to be nearly impossible for me. I struggled for nearly an hour to no avail. (I feel so dumb.) The instructions on Courtesy Nissan's site are too general (yeah, I know I'm supposed to remove the latch, box, and not to disconnect the airbag connector), but don't give any details about how to put it all back.

I seem to have multiple probs all at once. I can't seem to get everything aligned right. I can get the top aligned right screw holes, but not the bottom or vice versa. I can't seem to push the right side closest to the door in towards left it seems...

Anyone have any hints? Or anyone in the Seattle area willing to help me?
First time I tried this I had the same problems, only in reverse...I couldn't get the stupid thing to let go. Gave up and tried a couple days later with better results.

Getting back on requires some 'wiggling' of the piece and feeling it 'clip' into place. Hard to describe without being there to show you, but it seems there are 'guide pins' or something similar that need to be seated correctly in 'slots' in the dash to get it all lined up properly. Do you have very large gaps that you need to use the screws to close? If so, you still need to fidget with the piece since it should be fairly close to the dash all the way around before you need to use screws.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:09 AM
MAKSYMALNY

Re: Re: hints for putting glove box back ON?

Originally posted by jjs

Getting back on requires some 'wiggling' of the piece and feeling it 'clip' into place.

Old 08-18-2003, 10:40 PM

Never mind. I feel so dumb. One of my coworkers who works on cars a lot (mostly American), even though I'm pretty sure he's never seen my generation of Maxima (let alone any), got it on in 5 minutes!

The trick is to get the right side under the weatherstripping and then just to pivot it left and on it went!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did mine today. I just put one side in, then hit it and the rest went on easily. But i see where it might have been difficult. Just be a little rough, it wont hurt your car.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Mkang513
I did mine today. I just put one side in, then hit it and the rest went on easily. But i see where it might have been difficult. Just be a little rough, it wont hurt your car.
The problem I had was I kept trying to push it straight on or from bottom up. I could latch the left 2/3rds at the top but never the one on the top right and it seemed like I never could get the right side past the weatherstripping. At that point, I was nowhere near the bottom screw holes either.