5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Heat shield for JWT or Stillen intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 02:05 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Heat shield for JWT or Stillen intake?

Had my MAF sensor replaced at dealer yesterday due to my pinging issues and SES light. The pinging is reduced but still noticeable. Dealer told me if I had a heat shield by the filter, my pinging would possibly dissappear. Has anybody done this?
Old 08-21-2003, 02:28 PM

I'm looking into it. I'll keep ya posted Peace_
Old 08-21-2003, 05:21 PM

I noticed you got the JWT..this caused pinging and the SES light to come on? How did that happen? I just installed mine yesterday, is there any way of preventing this?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:26 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by TitaniuMax03
I noticed you got the JWT..this caused pinging and the SES light to come on? How did that happen? I just installed mine yesterday, is there any way of preventing this?
My MAF has been doing weird things even before I put on my JWT about a month or so ago. The JWT did NOT cause my MAF to go haywire. The Stillen/JWT short ram HAI's due cause a small amount of ping depending on where you live, the humidity outside (It sucks in so cal right now). My car doesn't seem to ping at night when it's much cooler. Every Maxima I guess is a little different.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:41 PM

oh, okay thanx for the info...got a little shooken up when I read it at first, but as far as a heat shield, I havent seen one..probably gonna have to go with a custom one...
Old 08-22-2003, 10:38 AM

dave, I've been thinking of using the stock air box as a heat shield by cutting out enough of the back side to allow the JWT to rest somewhat inside of the old air box, i figure this will offer some heat protection and if I do an OSCAI on the intake piping it should derease intake temp a lot. what do you think?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by j2k15spd
dave, I've been thinking of using the stock air box as a heat shield by cutting out enough of the back side to allow the JWT to rest somewhat inside of the old air box, i figure this will offer some heat protection and if I do an OSCAI on the intake piping it should derease intake temp a lot. what do you think?

Good Idea! I was gonna use the stock scoop and hack up that white box in the drivers side corner and develop a heat sheild to create a ram ice box under the hood. But I like the idea of using the existing box. Will a POP fit inside one? Peace_
Old 08-22-2003, 11:07 AM

I don't think a heat shield would do much good. The filter is still in the engine compartment. The area it's in seems like it would have some decent airflow around it. I have a Stillen intake and those guys seem to have well engineered products. I think they would have made one if they felt it would be benificial.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by jonbth
I don't think a heat shield would do much good. The filter is still in the engine compartment. The area it's in seems like it would have some decent airflow around it. I have a Stillen intake and those guys seem to have well engineered products. I think they would have made one if they felt it would be benificial.

Yeah, like their 2k2-3 headers which Lose power I've heard? $850 a pop man, well engineered, go get'em!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by HondaKilLR

Yeah, like their 2k2-3 headers which Lose power I've heard? $850 a pop man, well engineered, go get'em!
Where have you heard that? It's not true by any means.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:19 AM

Re: Heat shield for JWT or Stillen intake?

Originally posted by maximadave
Had my MAF sensor replaced at dealer yesterday due to my pinging issues and SES light. The pinging is reduced but still noticeable. Dealer told me if I had a heat shield by the filter, my pinging would possibly dissappear. Has anybody done this?
I have FrakenCar intake and I don't have pinging, but I always wanted to have heatshield as it will keep the filter cool. So I decided to make my own heatshield, and last week I made one from cardboard for now. Even with that on, and driving for a while, I noticed that cone filter was much cooler than before. I need to still work on it make it fit better and after that I will try to do it from either heavy duty plastic, or some aluminum, or something else.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:24 AM

Be careful using cardboard in your engine. Make sure that bad boy is secure!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
Be careful using cardboard in your engine. Make sure that bad boy is secure!
It was just as a template. I just ran with it for one day and I was pretty pleased how well it kept my cone filter cold.

The real heatshield will be made from some other material.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:00 PM

Injen makes a heat shield, I put it on my Injen intake and have no pinging. The heat shield looked like it might fit other applications. Check it out at www.injen.com
Old 08-22-2003, 12:14 PM

It's that $hity 91 octane you Cali boys have to suffer with. I will never understand Cali EPA. They want low emissions but wont raise the octane levels to 92 or 93. It must have something to do with the refineries and their output.

Just for ***** and giggles try adding some racing gas to your tank if you have access near you. Like 3 gallons of 104 added to a 1/2 or so tank of 91, that should put you right around 94.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:35 PM
BiggD23

I love it when people just decide to make stuff up. So where exactly did you hear this? I'd be interested to know since #1 - the headers haven't even shipped yet and #2 - there are no 3rd party dynos available yet.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by maximaman777
It's that $hity 91 octane you Cali boys have to suffer with. I will never understand Cali EPA. They want low emissions but wont raise the octane levels to 92 or 93. It must have something to do with the refineries and their output.

Just for ***** and giggles try adding some racing gas to your tank if you have access near you. Like 3 gallons of 104 added to a 1/2 or so tank of 91, that should put you right around 94.
I agree, I think pinging is more a product of the quality and octane of gasoline than the temp of the incoming air charge.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by BiggD23

I love it when people just decide to make stuff up. So where exactly did you hear this? I'd be interested to know since #1 - the headers haven't even shipped yet and #2 - there are no 3rd party dynos available yet.
I'd post the link, anyways I thought Maximaman777 knew something I didn't. Look in the GD section under "Stillen Headers2k2-3". He backed out due to supossed losses? Anyways, Yeah I love to make stuff up
Old 08-22-2003, 03:33 PM

I'd post the link, anyways I thought Maximaman777 knew something I didn't. Look in the GD section under "Stillen Headers2k2-3". He backed out due to supossed losses? Anyways, Yeah I love to make stuff up
I don't know where you learned to read, but I don't see how you come up with losses or you that will loose power in this post.

While I sure like being #1 on the list I just can't fathom spending that kind of cash for these. Back when we thought there would be a 20+HP gain and pricing in the $500 range I'd be all over it even though I really don't have the cash. But for this price and less ponies I'm going to sit back and wait not only to see the real world results of these but to see if the will be any competitor alternatives to $tillen in the future.

Sorry to back out and I know none of this is your fault.

$tillen published gains for these at 15-16HP and we were all expecting 20+, more like 30HP...
Old 08-22-2003, 04:08 PM

I don't know where you learned to read, but I don't see how you come up with losses or you that will loose power in this post.

$tillen published gains for these at 15-16HP and we were all expecting 20+, more like 30HP...

But for this price and less ponies

My bad. I took it literally. Didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a bunch. I just used it as an example as it relates to Stillen's engineering.

However, more I think about it. I wouldn't expect anything more than a similiar y-pipe gain from a 2k-2k1 fomr these headers. I mean why didn't they come out with a Y-pipe for the 2k2-3's a long time ago? Prob b/c they got the same results WSP did, and they prob figured "What the hell? Might as well go all the way up." I'm sure they have gains, otherwise they couldn't justify selling them what they want for them. However, I feel the majority of the gains are gonna be from the headers and marginally from the Y, again, something similair to adding just a Y on a 2k, 16-20hp--->as advertised. I don't know. Just speculating (talking outta my ***)here. Peace_
Old 08-22-2003, 04:12 PM

These headers definitely DO NOT take power away from your car.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:40 PM

Good Idea! I was gonna use the stock scoop and hack up that white box in the drivers side corner and develop a heat sheild to create a ram ice box under the hood. But I like the idea of using the existing box. Will a POP fit inside one? Peace_
Some rough measurements indicate the JWT will fit and its a pretty big cone. I think if it will fit then any others would fit. I haven't done any cutting yet so I am not 100% sure it will fit.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:47 PM
3.0HO

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
These headers definitely DO NOT take power away from your car.
Show us an "independant" dyno to show otherwise. Dyno STOCK - Dyno with Headers. Same day/Same parameters...no other mods (including intakes).

Doesn't exist.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:27 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I thought we were talking about heat shields???
Old 08-23-2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by j2k15spd

Some rough measurements indicate the JWT will fit and its a pretty big cone. I think if it will fit then any others would fit. I haven't done any cutting yet so I am not 100% sure it will fit.
You might as well get an Injen, a true CAI or do an OSCAI for those on a budget. You see you'll be removing the main advantage of the HAI w/mid pipe and that's the shorter piping.

Again my straw analogy. Take a full length straw and blow air through it as hard as you can. Now cut the straw in half or less and do it again. You'll see you can get much more air through the shorter straw in less time. This is just one of those cases where longer isn't better.

That and I don't believe the stock "scoop" forces any air back to the filter, it's not in the air stream and is covered by the hood. More like giving the engine a cooler place to scavenge "vacuum" air from. That is why the OSCAI shows some good gains because you'll be cutting a hole into the stock air box to let more air in. Until I've gone over 36k I like keeping my air box stock just incase I need to make a trip to the dealer. If you don't mind doing so and are going to do anything do the OSCAI.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:11 AM

dave thought you had an injen cai? wy on earth did you go to the pop from a cai?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:22 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by Nissan2k2specV
dave thought you had an injen cai? wy on earth did you go to the pop from a cai?
wasn't happy with the Injen. Had a Stillen on my 2K which I loved and switched back. Pinging is much less with the JWT/Stillen setup. I'm just trying to figure out how to make a heat shield for it. What would be the best material to make it out of?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:28 AM

How can it? We haven't even received ours yet. We will be doing the dyno on an altima and post the results. I've done everything I can to get you the most updated information I receive.

Originally posted by 3.0HO

Show us an "independant" dyno to show otherwise. Dyno STOCK - Dyno with Headers. Same day/Same parameters...no other mods (including intakes).

Doesn't exist.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:00 PM

my 98 maxima pinged and knocked with a pop charger, i put my stock airbox back and the car was slower...but it didnt make noise anymore either.

havent had any ping on the 03 max, with injen cai..
i do like the intake note alot better on the 3.5
the vq30de sounded like it was in pain with a intake on it.

theres a guy named jc school....he started uprd in san marcos which eventually ended up the huge uprd up in hb. he's back in oceanside and working out of his house i hear. he could make you a heat sheild for sure. and turbo yor max for ya if you wanted..hehe

he boosted a friends 91 maxima (vg30) you may have seen it before. and it is a beast, eats trannies for lunch.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:41 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by Nissan2k2specV
my 98 maxima pinged and knocked with a pop charger, i put my stock airbox back and the car was slower...but it didnt make noise anymore either.

havent had any ping on the 03 max, with injen cai..
i do like the intake note alot better on the 3.5
the vq30de sounded like it was in pain with a intake on it.

theres a guy named jc school....he started uprd in san marcos which eventually ended up the huge uprd up in hb. he's back in oceanside and working out of his house i hear. he could make you a heat sheild for sure. and turbo yor max for ya if you wanted..hehe

he boosted a friends 91 maxima (vg30) you may have seen it before. and it is a beast, eats trannies for lunch.
Maybe we can get a group deal going? lol
Could you get in touch with him and see how much he charges? Also type of material choices.....thanks bro
Old 08-23-2003, 01:10 PM

yeah, im trying to find him...i'll keep you posted.

in the mean time. you could contact AEBS.

http://www.aebsracing.com

they could probably fab up something too.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:09 PM

Here is a prototype of a heat sheild for my 4th gen.

Can you guess what it;s made out of?

and another shot

-Raceen
Old 09-15-2003, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Str8ridin
Here is a prototype of a heat sheild for my 4th gen.

Can you guess what it;s made out of?

and another shot

-Raceen

PVC Lookin good mang. Where's the inlet coming from?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by HondaKilLR
PVC Lookin good mang. Where's the inlet coming from?

Right here:

Old 09-15-2003, 02:21 PM

IC IC. Used to have the same but just couldn't stand to look at that thing under my car one last second. How does that panel match up with the hood? Is it airtight?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by HondaKilLR
IC IC. Used to have the same but just couldn't stand to look at that thing under my car one last second. How does that panel match up with the hood? Is it airtight?
I *think*, but I can't figure out a good may to make sure. Any suggestions? This is still a prototype and I hope to eventually section off the entireright side of the engine bay.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:38 PM

frankencar was supposed to put out one a while ago. Don't know what happened to that project.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:56 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

That looks like a sick idea ! I would love to try that on my 2k2 !
Old 09-15-2003, 06:05 PM
trey

does the jim wolf pop charger from courtesyparts.com come with everything u need or just the filter?

Old 09-15-2003, 06:09 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

It comes with everything you need, but no mid pipe. I just installed it on mine.

Quick Reply: Heat shield for JWT or Stillen intake?