5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Heat shield for JWT or Stillen intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximadave
wasn't happy with the Injen. Had a Stillen on my 2K which I loved and switched back. Pinging is much less with the JWT/Stillen setup. I'm just trying to figure out how to make a heat shield for it. What would be the best material to make it out of?
What didn't you like about the injen intake??
I have one on my 03 Max, and I'm not really sure what to think if it.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:11 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Cdriven
What didn't you like about the injen intake??
I have one on my 03 Max, and I'm not really sure what to think if it.
Scratches real easy

Not worth the $220+ for a small diff on the butt dyno

The filter sits just behind the radiator sucking in hot air

Get a JWT filter with a Frankencar midpipe. Kloogy has this setup on his Max and he loves it
Old 09-15-2003, 07:14 PM
3.0HO

Scratches real easy

Get a JWT filter with a Frankencar midpipe. Kloogy has this setup on his Max and he loves it
The frankencar midpipe is questionable as to any real performance improvement other than the sound.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by kcowden
Injen makes a heat shield, I put it on my Injen intake and have no pinging. The heat shield looked like it might fit other applications. Check it out at www.injen.com

Where did you purchased your heat shield for the Injen? How much is it?

BTW, I've done some extensive searchings prior purchasing the Injen intake. Personally, I like it so far. It's quiet and I do feel that the car responses marginally better. I had the FirmFabrication's intake before (one of the first w/this particular intake) and was annoyed by its noise at WOT. I sold it to one of the member here. What really puzzling me is that some of your guys here praised the Injen when it was first introduced and now dissing it? Same can be said about other intakes. How long would it be before the JWT's intake is under negative criticism? LOL
The only conclusion from what I've read about the whole aftermarket intakes, is that, they'll all perform "slightly" better than stock intake and the looks/noise from each design REALLY depends on one's taste/preference.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:49 AM

After reading the whole thread i feel like an idiot posting this but.

Your dealer didn't care about the intake? I mean, are you just kinda past the whole warranty issue? If not. Which dealer did you go to? Mossy Oceanside ?
Old 09-16-2003, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Str8ridin
Right here:

That looks very similar the the "gutter intake" from a
couple of weeks ago!
Old 09-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Str8ridin
Right here:

I don't remember how the splashguard is on a 4th gen. On a 5th it's angled. My thought was to use a HVAC register and cut it so it is flush with the top portion of the angle on the splashguard and extend out from the bottom. This would be much less visible as very little of it would be protruding but still able to collect a largle volume of air. It's like 10"w x 4"H
Old 09-16-2003, 12:46 PM

Yes, gutter pipes and plumbing materials come in handy!

Here is my whole set-up from 2 years ago with pics...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=102082

and how I made the heat shield:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=248747
Old 09-16-2003, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
Where did you purchased your heat shield for the Injen? How much is it?

BTW, I've done some extensive searchings prior purchasing the Injen intake. Personally, I like it so far. It's quiet and I do feel that the car responses marginally better. I had the FirmFabrication's intake before (one of the first w/this particular intake) and was annoyed by its noise at WOT. I sold it to one of the member here. What really puzzling me is that some of your guys here praised the Injen when it was first introduced and now dissing it? Same can be said about other intakes. How long would it be before the JWT's intake is under negative criticism? LOL
The only conclusion from what I've read about the whole aftermarket intakes, is that, they'll all perform "slightly" better than stock intake and the looks/noise from each design REALLY depends on one's taste/preference.
I've had the injen intake for several weeks now and am really not sure what to think about it. It is quiet and seems to allow the engine to rev a little better than stock. But, there seems to be less low end torque. Also, once the engine warms to norm op temp...the Max seems a little sluggish. But I cant tell if that's worse with the injen or not.

I'm gonna try the popcharger or maybe the stillen intake. They both look similar. So, we'll see what happens.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:38 PM

Scratches real easy

Thanks Dave, I think I'm going to try the JWT.
But, why do i need the midpipe?
That sits between the filter and the MAF right??
Old 09-16-2003, 05:37 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Eleebob7
After reading the whole thread i feel like an idiot posting this but.

Your dealer didn't care about the intake? I mean, are you just kinda past the whole warranty issue? If not. Which dealer did you go to? Mossy Oceanside ?
Yes, Mossy Oceanside since they sell the JWT intakes there (alot more expensive) They didn't care about the intake...
Old 09-16-2003, 05:39 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Thanks Dave, I think I'm going to try the JWT.
But, why do i need the midpipe?
That sits between the filter and the MAF right??
You don't have to. Here is what mine looked like before I went back to stock:

Old 09-16-2003, 05:54 PM
trey

You don't have to. Here is what mine looked like before I went back to stock:

Ok, so you don't have to have a midpipe installed on your intake but what are the advantages? What purpose does it serve? sorry guys, i'm a dumbass.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:40 PM

I've had the injen intake for several weeks now and am really not sure what to think about it. It is quiet and seems to allow the engine to rev a little better than stock. But, there seems to be less low end torque. Also, once the engine warms to norm op temp...the Max seems a little sluggish. But I cant tell if that's worse with the injen or not.

I'm gonna try the popcharger or maybe the stillen intake. They both look similar. So, we'll see what happens.
I am looking for a heat shield for the Injen intake. No one knows?
I like the engine sound w/the Injen intake at WOT. BTW, did you reset your ECU/Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning) after installing the intake?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
I am looking for a heat shield for the Injen intake. No one knows?
I like the engine sound w/the Injen intake at WOT. BTW, did you reset your ECU/Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning) after installing the intake?
Injen does make a heat shield for their intake. Check out injen.co, and you can check it out. They also have links to sites that sell it. I would consider getting the heat shield, but theres not a lot of room down where the filter is on my Max cause of the auto cable that's located down behind the radiator.

I've had the injen intake for about a month now and I am going to reset my ECU etc...and see what it does.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VMaximus02, I got the heat shield from www.ptuning.com for $45.00. It's a pain to install but worth it I think.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:05 PM
OG :)

This thread needs more heat shield pics.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
These headers definitely DO NOT take power away from your car.

228hp before headers 219hp with them. that seems to be a loss. im not saying that the headers dont make power. but obviously the ECU doesnt like something. i have gotten rather postive feedback on the TS ecu/header combo. i have stopped the rant bc i want to see for myself if the ECU reprogramming can actually make use of them. i plan on gettin one. i dont care what anyone says my car lost power with the addition of the headers period. the ECU is overcompensating to an extreme level which i confirmed with the changing of my pulgs. the plugs were signs of a engine gettin ALOT of fuel. i do believe you can verify this with quicksilver since he helped out. not only have i had this problem but several others have shown similar problems. the only person who seems to not have any problems is juice. if you know of any others let me know! oh juice doesnt have this mysterious black box installed. i have talked with him on the phone a few times. he is auto and dynoed 225hp w/ headers before the ECU. he now has the TS and cant rave enough about it. i will have one soon.

will
Old 12-17-2003, 11:51 PM

oh yeah to keep myself on topic i plan to make a heat shield. cant hurt.

will