5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to mount your iPod in your car

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 03:13 PM

How to mount your iPod in your car

These are obviously loose instructions. You'll undoubtedly have to make adjustments and customizations as you go along. Treat this guide as a starting outline of what you'll need to be doing, and you'll be just fine. Trust me, the effort is completely worth it!

This is the visual guide I based my install on. The pictures help explain some of the steps I have below.

http://public.fotki.com/tonicboy/ipod_car_install/

Parts needed:
  • iPod
  • Mount for iPod
  • Belkin iPod Auto Kit
  • 12V DC Car power adapter
  • FM modulator or CD changer AUX in converter
  • RCA to mini Y-adapter cable
  • Wire tapins
  1. Unplug the negative battery terminal before starting any electrical work.
  2. Disassemble dash to get at wiring behind stereo.
  3. Tap into existing wiring for 12V DC car power adapter outlet from the existing dash-mounted car power adapter outlet using wire tapins.
  4. Wire the power for FM modulator to the fuse box, and wire the ground to chassis ground (wherever is convenient)
  5. Connect car antenna to FM modulator to back of stereo.
  6. Plug RCA end of Y-adapter into the FM modulator and the mini end into the Belkin autokit.
  7. Plug Belkin autokit into 12V DC car power adapter and electrical tape them together so they don't come apart. Hide all this inside the dash somewhere.
  8. Reassemble dash with all the parts you added hidden inside, but remember to snake the connector end of the Belkin autokit out of the dash somewhere so you can connect it to your iPod.

NOTE:
    I can't emphasize enough testing everything before reassembly. It is a royal pain in the butt to build something, put it all together, and find out a loose connection is stopping things from working. I tested each component as I assembled it, so I was sure I was getting power, that I was getting signal, etc.
  9. Find a good spot to place your mount for the iPod and attach it.
  10. Plug the Belkin connector into your iPod, and place in the mount.
In all, this install took me about 2 hours, but depending on how experienced you are at this kind of stuff, it might take you less time. (I am NOT experienced at this )

Some useful links:

3rd gen Apple iPod
Belkin AutoKit for 3rd gen iPods
JVC KS-IF200 FM Modulator
Expensive (but nice) mounts for PDAs/iPods
Cheap cell phone mount I used
A different cell phone holder from Radio Shack
12VDC Car Power Adapter Outlet from Radio Shack
Wire tapins from Radio Shack
RCA to mini Y-adapter cable
Old 08-23-2003, 03:51 PM
mjg

Re: How to mount your iPod in your car

Originally posted by Scrimbo Obeer
These are obviously loose instructions. You'll undoubtedly have to make adjustments and customizations as you go along. Treat this guide as a starting outline of what you'll need to be doing, and you'll be just fine. Trust me, the effort is completely worth it!

This is the visual guide I based my install on. The pictures help explain some of the steps I have below.

http://public.fotki.com/tonicboy/ipod_car_install/

Parts needed:
  • iPod
  • Mount for iPod
  • Belkin iPod Auto Kit
  • 12V DC Car power adapter
  • FM modulator or CD changer AUX in converter
  • RCA to mini Y-adapter cable
  • Wire tapins
  1. Unplug the negative battery terminal before starting any electrical work.
  2. Disassemble dash to get at wiring behind stereo.
  3. Tap into existing wiring for 12V DC car power adapter outlet from the existing dash-mounted car power adapter outlet using wire tapins.
  4. Wire the power for FM modulator to the fuse box, and wire the ground to chassis ground (wherever is convenient)
  5. Connect car antenna to FM modulator to back of stereo.
  6. Plug RCA end of Y-adapter into the FM modulator and the mini end into the Belkin autokit.
  7. Plug Belkin autokit into 12V DC car power adapter and electrical tape them together so they don't come apart. Hide all this inside the dash somewhere.
  8. Reassemble dash with all the parts you added hidden inside, but remember to snake the connector end of the Belkin autokit out of the dash somewhere so you can connect it to your iPod.

NOTE:
    I can't emphasize enough testing everything before reassembly. It is a royal pain in the butt to build something, put it all together, and find out a loose connection is stopping things from working. I tested each component as I assembled it, so I was sure I was getting power, that I was getting signal, etc.
  9. Find a good spot to place your mount for the iPod and attach it.
  10. Plug the Belkin connector into your iPod, and place in the mount.
In all, this install took me about 2 hours, but depending on how experienced you are at this kind of stuff, it might take you less time. (I am NOT experienced at this )

Some useful links:

3rd gen Apple iPod
Belkin AutoKit for 3rd gen iPods
JVC KS-IF200 FM Modulator
Expensive (but nice) mounts for PDAs/iPods
Cheap cell phone mount I used
A different cell phone holder from Radio Shack
12VDC Car Power Adapter Outlet from Radio Shack
Wire tapins from Radio Shack
RCA to mini Y-adapter cable

Very cool writeup. I used my archos in my system for a bit. The thing that annoyed me was A) it wasn't mounted, B) it wasn't integrated into the power such as you suggest seamlessly. Also, the fidelity of the archos vs my kenwood exceleon was notable. I used a Phoenix Gold line driver to increase the voltage, which helped a bit... (BTW I am selling this is if anyone does want it).

Going to another source to adjust the music was just annoying, now I have a mp3 disc changer as well as mp3 discs in dash, I enjoy this alot better. I'm pretty much anti-mp3 nowadays though, since the sound quality degradation is noticable to me, and all of my amplifier (3 of them) seem to bring out the flaws in mp3s. I listen to strictly cd's mostly.

Aside from my comments (which aren't a critique of your writeup, great job) Many of us will benefit from that. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:19 PM

Yeah, I like having my iPod out where it's accessible, but now I have to remember to disconnect it when I park in public, because it's so visible now. :/ But cleaning up the sound and the nasty tangle of wires on my center console was worth it
Old 08-25-2003, 06:23 AM

Or you could buy a Transpod.

http://dealmac.com/articles/55102.html

But I think they are coming out with a better version next month...
Old 08-26-2003, 04:30 PM

I have a 3rd gen iPod, so this wasn't an option. Besides, I didn't want transmit to my radio; that would just lessen the sound quality.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:38 AM

The one coming out next month is designed for the 3rd gen iPod. It will also have a digital tuner instead of the manual one. Unless you have the ears of Superman, I doubt you will be able to hear the difference. It is supposed to be that good.