5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GLE ride experiences???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

GLE ride experiences???

Sorry but I have a casual middle-aged adult driver problem. I have an 03 GLE that I'm beginning to HATE. My car wallows over road dips and holes and the rear suspension bottoms-out often with loud clunks. More frequently with 3-4 adults in the car. The handling seems sloppy as well. Speed bumps are a killer even at SLOW sppeds. Two dealer service depts have looked at the car and say nothing's wrong - "that's the way the GLEs are". I have a hard time believing that. What are other GLE ride experiences out there? I would gladly pay for susp modifications (as opposed to trading in the car$$$) but am mechanically inept...what should I do? where/who does these mods? Thanks all!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:25 PM

ask the service manager to allow you to take another GLE for a spin to see for yourself if it is a common problem with the GLE. Does it seem as if the ride has degraded sice U bought the car?
Old 08-25-2003, 12:48 PM

You should drive the SE, it's suspension is even harsher!
That's why I got the GLE.

The speed bump thing is just the suspension. It's not an independant rear suspension and with 17" wheels, yeah, it "clunks" over bumps.
But again, drive an SE and it's even worse.

AS for bottoming out, well, I've had 4 people in mine and that's never happened. I don't know how much you and the others in your car weigh, but if it's a lot, maybe that's more incentive to lose weight!

No, but seriously, that's just the suspension of the Maxima's.
They are by no means "sports" cars. And even though the GLE doesn't handle quite as good as an SE, you don't have to put up with nearly as much of a harsh ride, clunky suspension that sounds like something is broke whenever you hit a bump.
Let me guess too... your steering wheel "jumps" around in your hand whenever you hit a bump too, even at low speeds. It feels like something in the steering column is lose and causing the steering wheel to jump around right??

yep, that's common. Again, it's worse in the SE.

As for "wallowing" around on the road, well, have your alignment checked too. That isn't really a problem with my 02 GLE, but again, it surely doesn't handle like other cars.
My GF had a 1999 Toyota Camry before we got the Maxima. It wallowed and floated around the road A LOT worse, but strangely felt more secure than the Maxima. There was no suspension clunking, no steering wheel jumping, and even though it floated up and down, it never seemed to veer off it's intended course. The Maxima does, and yes it is bothersome, and doesn't instill much confidence in taking a corner with much speed or taking a bumpy road with much vigor either.

You learn that the Maxima is a straight line performer and a smooth freeway cruiser.

Oh, and the Camry DID bottom out often. I would scrape it's underside on even the small speed bumps if more than 2 or 3 people were in the car.

I also got and have gotten a bit tired of the Maxima's uninspiring and unconfidence in the handling and suspension department. The torque steer absolutely stinks too.
And from what I understand, the handling and torque steer of the new Maxima hasn't improved much.

I've been seriously entertaining the idea of getting a G35 sedan instead.
If it bothers you that much, get a different car, otherwise, your dealer is right, it's just the way the Maxima's are.

I would, just to ease your mind and to see if your car in fact doesn't have any abnormal issues, do what the other poster suggested and drive another GLE to see. Also, drive an SE and see how it's suspension stiffness and clunkiness is even worse.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm doing next. The car was like this from the get go and I don't remember this while test driving (a different car) but I maybe I didn't come across the correct road conditions and we just had two people in the front seats. While I've bottomed-out with one person in the car, it does happen more often as load increases. I expect degradation, but the rear suspension banging is not normal.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: GLE ride experiences???

Originally posted by ckone0814
Sorry but I have a casual middle-aged adult driver problem. I have an 03 GLE that I'm beginning to HATE. My car wallows over road dips and holes and the rear suspension bottoms-out often with loud clunks. More frequently with 3-4 adults in the car. The handling seems sloppy as well. Speed bumps are a killer even at SLOW sppeds. Two dealer service depts have looked at the car and say nothing's wrong - "that's the way the GLEs are". I have a hard time believing that. What are other GLE ride experiences out there? I would gladly pay for susp modifications (as opposed to trading in the car$$$) but am mechanically inept...what should I do? where/who does these mods? Thanks all!
yup! that sounds like GLE ride to me...sorry to hear that but that rear-clunk is not gonna go away with the rear beam suspension...
Old 08-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Time for Maxspeed springs and KYB GR2 shocks! Fixed my GLE suspension problem real quick.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:00 PM

My GLE ride is great... Half of the time there are 4-5 adults in my car. Never bottomed-out, and never heard any suspension noise. Did u check your tire pressure?

G
Old 08-26-2003, 06:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have tire pressure at 31 to help soften the harsh Bridgestones.

Thanks for all the responses. I was desperate enuf yesterday to call the salesman for advice! When I mentioned what I was experiencing, he remembered I had a GLE right away. Says it's "normal" as well. Would the dealer be the best place to go for modifications? Does this void warranties?
Old 08-26-2003, 06:56 AM

I can't speak for the GLE, but I modified my wife's
2000 GXE by adding a front strut tower brace and a
Stillen rear sway bar and the car does indeed drive
like a sports car. Just installed a 5 wire Hyper Grounding
kit and this baby is alnmost as fun to drive as my
Infiniti G35! The rear sway bar makes all the difference
in the world. I can take curves at very high speeds and
the Max sticks to the road like glue. You don't have
to put up with any Maxima driving like a cruse liner.
Just add the front strut tower brace, rear sway bar and
maybe even a rear strut tower brace and it will drive
soooooo much better.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Maxima Pilot

ckone...what you are experiencing is the

classic old style Japanese suspension philosophy of making cars 'oversprung' (spring rates too stiff) and 'underdamped' -shock absorbers with insufficient damping. The Max's suspension design and philosophy dates back to 1995 when the Gen4 was introduced, and it's getting way long in the tooth.

Fixing this the right way wont be cheap...

Recommendations:
1. Do NOT change springs as some more enthusiastic drivers here will suggest you do but do change the shock absorbers -go with KYB GR2s if you want to snub the ride some, go with Tokico Blues if you want to snub the ride up a bit more. Tokicos will be a tad harsher & firmer.
Price tag will be 500-700 bucks installed

2. Replace your crappy Potenzas with something like the Turanza Zs (not the Vs!!!!!) or the Continental ContiExtreme tires -either of which will give you a MUCH more compliant ride.

And yes, even after this the rear suspension with clunk ocassionally
Old 08-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Galo - thanks for the specific recommendations. Compared with losing many $K's on depreciation if I trade it, I'd rather spend to get it improved. I like the car otherwise.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:43 AM
Maxima Pilot

No problem! If you're leaning towards the

KYB GR2's (I would), here's a good place to buy them....certainly the cheapest I know of -although there might be others out there that are pretty close, this site sells the set for under 300 bucks...

http://www.genxmuscle.com/store/334265
Old 08-26-2003, 08:07 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: No problem! If you're leaning towards the

Originally posted by Galo
[B]KYB GR2's (I would), here's a good place to buy them....certainly the cheapest I know of -although there might be others out there that are pretty close, this site sells the set for under 300 bucks...

$285 shipped
right here
Old 08-26-2003, 01:11 PM

I sold my 92 Max GXE about a year ago, and I still own a 97 GLE and a 03 GLE. Unlike the 92 Max, which has 4 wheel independent suspension and handled bumps better, the 97 and 03 GLEs' rear suspension is not up to par. However, if you slow down a bit before hitting the speed bumps and the expansion joints, the GLEs still offer a decent ride without sacrificing much performance. I am not an aggressive driver who loves to burn rubber, so despite the inferior rear suspension, I think the GLEs are okay (though not great). If you take everything into consideration -- such as price, performance, reliability and creature comfort -- I think you'd agree with me that we did not make a bad choice in picking the Max GLE
Old 08-26-2003, 03:53 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I purchased the GLE simply b/c it was the right color at the right time (and the right price). I have since switched the stock suspension for Tein S springs and KYB-BR2 struts/shocks. It's actually quite impressive in it's present form, and gives the car an excellent look and feel now. Sure, larger bumps/dips while at speed are harsher, but at least I'm not bottoming out anymore over those same points in the road. Also, the suspension returns to the "ready" position so much faster now, and that's the part I like the most.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

It sounds like ride quality is your #1 concern. Do NOT get Teins/Sprints/Eibachs.

Get H&Rs if you are going to get new springs. I don't believe you need new struts at this time, but if you do, get either the GR2s or Tokicos.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:11 PM

i have tire pressure at 31 to help soften the harsh Bridgestones.

Thanks for all the responses. I was desperate enuf yesterday to call the salesman for advice! When I mentioned what I was experiencing, he remembered I had a GLE right away. Says it's "normal" as well. Would the dealer be the best place to go for modifications? Does this void warranties?
You should keep the tire pressure at manufacture recommended number: 33psi(front) & 30psi(rear). I find that you bump those numbers up by 1-2 psi, the ride is better, not sloppy.

You really need to get a front strut bar(fstb)/rear sway bar/H&R springs w/aftermarket shocks to improve the "boat-like' ride of the OEM's suspension. Also, I HIGHLY recommended that you buy the SFC's (stage-1) and install it ASAP. This subframe connector will make your car feels more luxurious and solid 'cause of the extra bracing which tied/reinforced the front & rear rails together.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:08 PM

There is a TSB for 2002's & 2003's, you get SE rear springs.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:59 AM

The failing of the maxima suspensions is not the beam. A properly tuned rear beam will out handle an IRS car on smooth roads. LACK OF SUSPENSION TRAVEL! is the culprit
Old 08-27-2003, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by VMaximus02

You should keep the tire pressure at manufacture recommended number: 33psi(front) & 30psi(rear). I find that you bump those numbers up by 1-2 psi, the ride is better, not sloppy.

You really need to get a front strut bar(fstb)/rear sway bar/H&R springs w/aftermarket shocks to improve the "boat-like' ride of the OEM's suspension. Also, I HIGHLY recommended that you buy the SFC's (stage-1) and install it ASAP. This subframe connector will make your car feels more luxurious and solid 'cause of the extra bracing which tied/reinforced the front & rear rails together.
Please elaborate on what a SFC (stage-1) is.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:04 AM

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/...pplication.htm

I'll a bit leery about anything coming from Warpseeed after their Y-pipe produced negative gains.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by asu174
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/...pplication.htm

I'll a bit leery about anything coming from Warpseeed after their Y-pipe produced negative gains.
This is for the chassis so I can guarrantee you that you will notice a difference. I only recommended the stage-1 since it will significantly stiffen the chassis and the ride will not be effected, yet improved!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:46 AM

The TSB for this is NTB02-056, it's here on the org.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:54 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by VMaximus02

You need to read your specs again. Its 32F/32R on my car...

I have the GLE, so that might make a difference.

EDIT- DOH! We all have GLE's if we're posting here (or we at least all should have GLE's)
Old 08-27-2003, 03:15 PM

There are some great suggestions for the spongy ride. I would start with the rear sway bar and go from there.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:18 PM

I would start with the TSB for new springs.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:48 PM

The TSB says for 2001-2002 GXE and GLE. Would the 2003 be covered as well?
Old 08-27-2003, 04:52 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

It should be considering the "floaty" rear suspension...
Old 08-27-2003, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

You need to read your specs again. Its 32F/32R on my car...

I have the GLE, so that might make a difference.

EDIT- DOH! We all have GLE's if we're posting here (or we at least all should have GLE's)
The reason I posted or replied to this thread was because I did also noticed similar poor ride quality w/my car prior to any suspension mods. I have GXE and the suspension between the GLE & GXE is the same. The only different is the tire size, 17"-for GLE & 16"-GXE. The tire pressures recommendation that I'd stated was directly listed on the car (taped underneath the armrest lid). Perhaps, it might be different w/the GLE's? The reason for the difference in pressures of the front & the rear tires is to account for the uneven weight distribution of most, if not all front wheel-drive cars. FYI, there had been many threads on this forum discussing about the "correct" tire pressures for our car.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my local garage installed rubber spring dampers for 50 bucks and it made a HUGE difference but now i've heard about a TSB that apparently calls for installing SE springs on my GLE, something I'm not sure I want to do. i suspect that would make the ride much more harsh? at this point, i'm inclined to leave it as-is and maybe just go with new tires also. that will likely leave me where i want to be as far as ride and handling. any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Maxima Pilot

CKone...if the 'rubber dampers' are already

installed, chances are the SE springs will not be much harsher than the stock GLE springs + the rubber.

Remember.....this is what the NASCAR crews do on their cars when they want to increase their spring rates without changing the spring itself.....they add what they call 'a spring rubber' .

If there is a TSB and the dealer will do the SE springs free, buy the rear KYB GR2s & take them to the dealer for installation at the same time he's changing the springs. It should be free because the dealer has to reach the exact same 'disassembly point' to change just the springs and the springs + shocks...check this out first, of course
Old 09-02-2003, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by asu174
It sounds like ride quality is your #1 concern. Do NOT get Teins/Sprints/Eibachs.

I don't believe you need new struts at this time, .
My GLE needed rear struts from the day I test drove it.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:54 PM

I have a 2003 GLE and notice the same problem when I carry 3-4 passengers. The car drives nicely when I am by myself, which is most of the time. I don't want a stiff suspension, so I'll settle for the spongy suspension when I am carrying a load. I am curious if anyone had the SE springs installed on their GLE like the TSB said and how it affected the ride?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Driver72
You should drive the SE, it's suspension is even harsher!
That's why I got the GLE.

I also got and have gotten a bit tired of the Maxima's uninspiring and unconfidence in the handling and suspension department. The torque steer absolutely stinks too.
And from what I understand, the handling and torque steer of the new Maxima hasn't improved much.

I've been seriously entertaining the idea of getting a G35 sedan instead.
If it bothers you that much, get a different car, otherwise, your dealer is right, it's just the way the Maxima's are.

I would, just to ease your mind and to see if your car in fact doesn't have any abnormal issues, do what the other poster suggested and drive another GLE to see. Also, drive an SE and see how it's suspension stiffness and clunkiness is even worse.
You've got to give up a little ride comfort for better handling, I think its inherrent in all vehicles. The GLE you got has a softer suspension thus the reason you feel "uninspired and unconfident" in the handling. I purchased the SE and still thought the suspension was too soft so I spent more money than I expected to just to get it to handle right. That G35 idea is a good one, I'm still kicking myself for getting a FWD car. But if you didn't like the SE's suspension than you probably won't like the G35.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:08 AM

You are so right about never getting a front drive again. Front drive sucks with spirited driving. I still love my Max though.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:49 AM

I don't understand why ppl think there maxima's have a harsh ride
When i got my maxima...i could not stand the ride it felt like a caddy..
Then i put suspension and it feels the same just lower...
maybe becuase i have 16in rims...
i dunno
Old 10-11-2003, 10:19 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

yes that is gle like, my dad's gle sucks in handling. it has way to much suspension travel/lean. Really sloppy!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:37 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by Maximam
Time for Maxspeed springs and KYB GR2 shocks! Fixed my GLE suspension problem real quick.

great combo!! have it myself!

Old 10-11-2003, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ckone0814
I have a Gle i love its suspension.......... i would test drive another gle to see if thats how all r..... or even test out the se maybe u will like it better....but i doub u will........se has harder suspension....gle is more mmoother so just go check out another gle
Old 10-12-2003, 02:22 AM

In terms of ride quality, I feel my 2K2 GXE is excellent. I hardly have more than myself in the car, let alone 4-5, so I can't say if mine bottoms out or anything.

My Max is SUPER smooth compared to my 04 Z. In C&D's comparo of the 350Z, S2K, Mustang Mach 1, and TT long ago, they gave the touring Z a 9/10 in ride. If the touring Z is really equivalent to enthusiast (is supposed to be), then my Max is a 15!

Quick Reply: GLE ride experiences???