5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I think I will never buy another Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 01:05 PM

I think I will never buy another Nissan

I'm so angry right now after speaking with some poor excuse of a customer service rep from Nissan NA. From last weekend I think I've heard every poor *** excuse from Nissan not to fix the brake judder TSB on my 2K max.

Basically, the car is near the end of the 3yr/36k warranty on the brake judder TSB. The car only has 15K on it and the judder is just presenting itself.

The rep said, TSB's serve as a guideline for the techs and that the 3yr/36k on the TSB is inaccurate print and not to be taken to word. Brakes are a wear and tear item and are not cover under the warranty.
Dumb *** turned fool of a rep, threw every piece of BS at me not to fix this.

I don't know what to do right now cause the warranty is up next week and Nissan is still playing games with me. I think I will never buy another Nissan nor recommend one to my friends just for these types of dishonorable business behavior.

thanks for listening to my vent.
SHIFT_woosh
Old 08-29-2003, 01:29 PM

Yep, It took me only 6k miles to get fed up with Nissan and my 03' Max. Never, ever again will I purchase a Nissan or any Nissan product.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go get an INFINITI then!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Infiniti customer service is sooo much better...
Old 08-29-2003, 01:38 PM

woosh, why are you talking to NNA? Find a dealer to do the work NOW. I did, even though the judder was only begining to show, so at the 36K service I had them turn the rotors under the TSB (that was my way of getting back at NNA for stiffing me when I paid for the rotors work done at 15K. NNA gave me the same runaround).

and yes, love my car, but just because of the way NNA treated me, I'll never give then the satisfaction ever again.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:43 PM

Save yourself a lot of heartache...Just buy some aftermarket rotors now and get it over with. They aren't gonna budge. Believe me.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ma&gt;&lt;iManiac
Save yourself a lot of heartache...Just buy some aftermarket rotors now and get it over with. They aren't gonna budge. Believe me.
True, and even if they do turn the rotors, they'll be warped again in 10k miles.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:03 PM

CCS2k1Max,

I ended up talking to NNA because the service center I took it to gave me a "unable to duplicate" take it up with nissan.

Ma><iManiac,
I think you are totally right on this and think this is the way I'm going to have to go.

The rep had the nerve to ask me how I got my hands on the TSB and if I'm a tech to say different when they said they "could not duplicate the problem". I said no, but I've only owned and driven the friggin car all it's life and can tell better than anyone else this is not the norm.

It's amazing how with such a vast knowledge base that exists here nissan still pretend like these events are brand new, isolated incidents.

Keep it up nissan, it will bring your own undoing!

Nissan = IDIOTS
SHIFT_woosh
Old 08-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Horra!!

Next time I'm going with infiniti especially if the next skyline is marketed as one.
NISSAN =
Old 08-29-2003, 02:51 PM

Try a different dealer woosh. In any case, if you have to pay for the work, I second Ma><'s and Steve's opinion and get aftermarkets.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I don't know if Infiniti "service" is necessarily better...

Motor Trends' Long-Term Test vehicle the 2003 G35 Sedan also had the "brake-pulsation" for which they had to resurface the front rotors and get new pads at the 15,000-mile service.

They also had oil/filter, tire rotation, and cabin mirofilter replacement also performed, HOWEVER their Non-warranty cost was $457.10. So, I'd guess they actually PAID for the resurface and pads.

Maybe someone should FORWARD the TSB for the Maxima to Scott Mead and ask why they paid for it.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Infiniti #1. Nissan is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll the way at the bottom, and it's the SAME company.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:29 PM

I would buy another Nissan. Another USED one that is pretty much out of warranty so that when something goes wrong I just fix it myself, properly, the FIRST time, and not have to bother myself with taking the car back and forth to Nissan and haggling them about fixing legitimate problems.

Speaking of which, my knock sensor from DAVEB just came in.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:44 PM

I agree; I will never buy a Nissan ever again. Very weird that Infiniti is up so high and Nissan is near the bottom.

When I first bought my maxima with 14 miles on there, I took back to the dealer because of "rattles" from the center air vents (the air tubes inside had lost insulation, somehow fell out which caused it to rattle); the service guy took his fist and started to BANG on the center dash. He banged on it so hard, the plastic around the air vents cracked. Tried to blame it on me by saying how I shouldn't pound the dashboard. How crazy is that?!
When I had my first oil change, I had fresh tinted windows on there with stickers by each window control "Please do not roll down windows". Guess what? They rolled down ALL FOUR WINDOWS!!! Shifted the air bubbles that were drying and crumbled the tints on the bottom (they were only done the day before). The service people told me, oh it was like that already.
--------------------------------------------------------
All that was within 4500 miles of the car.

Right now I have 22254 miles on my car. Saying what else happened makes me too mad lol. As for the brakes...rotar needing to smoothed out...don't even go there. Yep, they won't even budge. I am just going to wait until my brakes doesn't work anymore and just upgrade it to stillen. The consumer affairs at nissan seems to be getting worse...2 years ago when I had my 2001 gle; they seemd to be a lot nicer...
Old 09-01-2003, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by looslip
Next time I'm going with infiniti especially if the next skyline is marketed as one.
NISSAN =

Already made that change from Nissan maxima to an 03 infiniti.... very happy here
Old 09-01-2003, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by JCW915
I agree; I will never buy a Nissan ever again. Very weird that Infiniti is up so high and Nissan is near the bottom.
Revenue generated from Nissan service and DENIAL of warranty and TSB claims goes into subsidizing stellar Infiniti service.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:26 PM

I had the same problem two tears ago show up around 23K, damn near ****ed my pants when the dealer(Courtesy Nissan in Richardson Texas) told me that to check the brakes they would have to charge me at least $50 per hour once the car went up pn their lift. I called it Bs and asked to ralk to the manager and after haggling, they tirned the rotors for free only to have the problem reappear in about 5K down the road. The front bumper of my car had paint chipping of not even six months after I bought the car and getting it repainted was hell(I bought the car used with 17K). The Bose stereo literally scrtached my discs and destroyed about fifty discs(they replaced the CD player about three times with REFIRBISHED cd players). The last one went out at roughly 37K on the odometer of the car(therefore the bastards at NNA would nor replace anything). NNA went as far as asking me if I had the service done at my local dealer, to which I answered no, and they told me that since I did not, I'm not a loyal Nissan customer so that they couldn't help me. I said FU, I'll never buy a Nissan product again but, I love the new G35 6MT. Coupe. To make a long boring story short, I got aftermarket rotors and tillen pads, not a single problem in the last 25K with the brakes. I bought an AIWA aftermaket MP3, CD-R, CD-RW player, and I'm loving life. NNA does not care whether you buy Nissan again or not, they're sheeat eating vastards and will behave as such. I'm on three different G35 forums and Infiniti seems to be entirely different. However, until I order my coupe I'm loving life in my 2K SE MAX. Don't get disappointed, go aftermarket anyway, the car is a great bang for the buck.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:57 PM

Nissan seriously does not give a crap if you're not happy at all and say you will never buy another Nissan again.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC

Nissan seriously does not give a crap if you're not happy at all and say you will never buy another Nissan again.
Man, Don't get me started... I have never understood why all you guys put up with the junk that Datsun delivers. I mean how can you sell a $30,000 car that has paint that chips off, brakes and hood that shudder, crazy power window and ECM that require periodic resets, sunroof that won't tolerate battery disconnect, bose stereo, gauges that can't be read at dusk, etc. I guess you accept all this because of the VQ35? Nice enough motor but what a lame platform it is in!

I drove an '04 Quest this weekend. Bold design, hideous execution in the Renault tradition. A complete piece o'junk. Rattles, loose fits all over the interior, reminds me a great deal of an early '03 Altima--imagine that. At this rate I give Nissan five years before they find themsleves in the spot that VW was in in the lates eighties--right on the brink. I don't think Infinti revenue is enough to cover for the ill will Nissan is creating.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by jay beede
Man, Don't get me started... I have never understood why all you guys put up with the junk that Datsun delivers. I mean how can you sell a $30,000 car that has paint that chips off, brakes and hood that shudder, crazy power window and ECM that require periodic resets, sunroof that won't tolerate battery disconnect, bose stereo, gauges that can't be read at dusk, etc. I guess you accept all this because of the VQ35? Nice enough motor but what a lame platform it is in!

I drove an '04 Quest this weekend. Bold design, hideous execution in the Renault tradition. A complete piece o'junk. Rattles, loose fits all over the interior, reminds me a great deal of an early '03 Altima--imagine that. At this rate I give Nissan five years before they find themsleves in the spot that VW was in in the lates eighties--right on the brink. I don't think Infinti revenue is enough to cover for the ill will Nissan is creating.

I thought you drove an 03' SE. What's up with that? I hate the service from NNA but I plain love the car. At less than $30K, it was the best bang for the buck when I bought the car, I guess that's why we put up with Nissan. Prior car in my case was a 2K Honda Accord V6 Coupe. Car was well put together for the $$$$, but no comparison at all to the mighty Max. 222HP., leather interior, foglights, sunroof, sport suspension, wow. Even Car & Driver named it the "baragain bin working man 5-series". Even with its defects, it's been a soild performer.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by rubman
I thought you drove an 03' SE. What's up with that? I hate the service from NNA but I plain love the car. At less than $30K, it was the best bang for the buck when I bought the car, I guess that's why we put up with Nissan.

Prior car in my case was a 2K Honda Accord V6 Coupe. Car was well put together for the $$$$, but no comparison at all to the mighty Max. 222HP., leather interior, foglights, sunroof, sport suspension, wow. Even Car & Driver named it the "baragain bin working man 5-series". Even with its defects, it's been a soild performer.

Prior car was a 2001 Honda Accord V6 Sedan. I will never own another torqueless boring Honda again. I actually have less horsepower now than I did before, yet my 99 5spd is a second quicker in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile than my Accord. Hmmm...I wonder why that is?

The driving enjoyment and satisfaction I get from my car far outweighs some of the nuances of owning a Nissan.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:55 PM

Wow, glad to know that I am not the only one.
Nissan blows.....................
Old 09-02-2003, 06:17 AM
OG and counting...

Please don't get me started on Nissan and the brake issue. I have had the front rotors turned and all 4 rotors REPLACED. Still had the judder after a few thousand miles.

Then what really sucks is that I cannot get the Brembo blanks for the '02-'03s.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:08 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...Even Car & Driver named it the "baragain bin working man 5-series". Even with its defects, it's been a soild performer.
Lets look at this statement closer...Nissan is content to be this exact statement. "Even with its defects.." MOST companies DONT want defects, or at least realize them and TRY to correct them. Nissan does not seem to be of this mind concept. Oh well.

And FWIW...I will not buy Infiniti either. The money all goes to the same place. I will not support a company that cannot support their customer REGARDLESS of which "trim" they purchase. So, just because you buy Inifiniti does not mean you are "stiffing" Nissan.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel
Lets look at this statement closer...Nissan is content to be this exact statement. "Even with its defects.." MOST companies DONT want defects, or at least realize them and TRY to correct them. Nissan does not seem to be of this mind concept. Oh well.

And FWIW...I will not buy Infiniti either. The money all goes to the same place. I will not support a company that cannot support their customer REGARDLESS of which "trim" they purchase. So, just because you buy Inifiniti does not mean you are "stiffing" Nissan.
DITTO TO THAT AND AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:51 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I promised myself that I wouldnt buy Infiniti either. Then I laid eyes on the coupty... it was all over.

Actually, Infiniti service is what Nissan service should be. Unfortunately, Infiniti service isnt Lexus service. Another unfortunate thing is much like Nissan ownership, your Infiniti ownership experience will vary by dealer
Old 09-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by TimW
I promised myself that I wouldnt buy Infiniti either. Then I laid eyes on the coupty... it was all over.

Actually, Infiniti service is what Nissan service should be. Unfortunately, Infiniti service isnt Lexus service. Another unfortunate thing is much like Nissan ownership, your Infiniti ownership experience will vary by dealer
Oh, I love the look of the G35 Sedan (Have to have a Sedan) but with my crappy experience with Nissan (and I dont really ask much) I will not endorse this company at all. From all the stories I have read about NNA, the treatment I have PERSONALLY recieved, it just cant be waved.

And if that statement is true "your Infiniti ownership experience will vary by dealer" what is my incentive to BLOW 5-8K MORE on a car to "possibly" (as in gamble) have the same kind of experience.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:47 AM
VQ Wizard

I'll buy Nissans untill the end.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:51 AM
jjs

First and very likely last one purchased here.

I am also hesitant to think about another Japanese car (not that I have a definite purchase of something else in mind), but if the paint issues are as prevalent elsewhere (regardless of other reliability, etc. levels) I WILL not spend more money on a car that in a year looks as bad, if not worse than a 5 year old rental from GM.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:33 AM

Well, the G35 is another $2,000 to $5,000 over the Max, right? I think that's a bit more than a new set of rotors.

Don't get me wrong, I HATE poor customer service. Luckily I haven't had any problems yet with my baby - but it's only got 5k on it right now, so I may be singing a different tune in another 10k.

I guess the difference in service is the flipside to all the people who say "why would you pay that much more for an Infiniti, you're just paying for the name."

You gotta figure the folks down at the Infiniti dealership are making more $$ than the guys at the Nissan shop. More pay equals a higher pedigree of workers (generalizing here - I know it's not always the case). Why do you think you get better service when you go out for dinner at Pecse Blue than at Bickfords? Because you pay for it.

Just my .02. So far with my limited exposure to my dealership, I've enjoyed dealing with them.

Besides, I LOVE MY MAX.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:58 AM

im going thru a lil bs myself. they're trying to add on some extra g's to my finance loan. they gave me a crappy % for my loan so im going to shop around and refinance.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny
You gotta figure the folks down at the Infiniti dealership are making more $$ than the guys at the Nissan shop. More pay equals a higher pedigree of workers (generalizing here - I know it's not always the case).
Your service experience is pretty much set by the lowest common denominator. The service manager at my Infiniti dealer is 100X better than anything I dealt with at Nissan. He really tries to keep me happy. The techs are attentive and polite. However, they usually have some Jiffy Lube reject washing or moving the cars. He's the one that wont read the 'do not wash' order and swirl up you car, ding it or otherwise violate it while its in for service.

Another thing, Infiniti doesnt really expect you to do your own maintanance. They tend to look at you funny when you buy a part or an oil filter. Like you have no business with it. Installing your own accessories is really frowned apon. Due to the cost to track down rattles, they dont even want Infiniti techs doing some things (accessing areas that you would say running an amp wire to the trunk and such). I understand this, the g35C and sedan to some degree are totally different animals and demographics than the I, Q and M cars. Enthusiasts are well received but not totally understood.

Lastly, Infiniti does issue tons of TSBs. They ARE addressing and fixing things much faster and with less hassle than you will ever see on the Nissan side. I was alittle freaked out by the TSBs at first, then realized it would have been great to have had this with the maxima. I believe Infiniti dealers have alot more room to do service. Including some 'good will' repairs that cant be replicated but are simply done because you arent happy. They actually have this.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:06 PM

I haven't got a G35C yet, but would if I could. Funny thing is I've turned at least 3 would be Nissan/Infiniti owners away after my stories about service, paint chips, ECM reprograming. They'll give me SOOOOOooooo much **** the day I show up with a G35. Oh well.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:12 PM

the g35c and 350z are damn sexy. too bad they would suck for me living in new england. oh well i still luv my max
Old 09-02-2003, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by chigga
the g35c and 350z are damn sexy. too bad they would suck for me living in new england. oh well i still luv my max
FYI, AWD 6sp G35 Sedan should be here VERY soon.

For $27K withOUT AWD, I'm seriously considering trading. I WISH I could swing a G35C, but I don't think it's luggage capacity is up to my needs.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:25 PM

Every company will try to get away with as much "wear and tear - not covered" as they can. Everyone has a "car I owned" horror story and that may be about a company you live and swear by. As that survey shows, except for Saturn, on average, the more you pay, the more you get 'pampered'. The study also shows that's not ALWAYS true, LandRover. If you are going to buy new, expect some problems and there may be something that's not covered. It's amazing how much wear and tear can be thought of by the companies. I have given up on buying new. I buy 2-3 yrs old, very clean, low mileage (usually right as the warranty has expired) cars and let someone else take the 1st year depreciation. I research the boards and forums and find the issues ahead of time and make my selections from there. No matter how you look at it, cars are a money pit. Drive what you like and can afford (including possible repairs), be happy.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I WISH I could swing a G35C, but I don't think it's luggage capacity is up to my needs.

Its not just the payment or the luggage space. With added insurance costs and the new payment, I pay about $40 more per month for the shiny new G35c over the 2k max. I financed alittle less than 2/3's of the coupe.

*HOWEVER*
Tires cant be rotated.. Directional and diff sizes = $$$. On the AT w/17's (RSAs) they can be swapped from side to side, but thats kinda pricey and its not worth saving the RSAs really...

Brakes... you can stop with the big boys... I mean up there with 100K cars... But set aside money for pads... and inevitably rotors.

Another thing, parts are very hard to come by.. a fender bender can leave you car-less for 1-3 months depending while you wait for parts.

Scheduled MX is VERY pricey with Infiniti. You know, just the ones to keep your warranty valid every 15 or 30K. It varies, but seems to be around 2x what the Max cost was.

Cost of ownership is just plain higher. Its a value compared to a 330i*, but not much of a value compared to a max.

*after the BMW scheduled MX coverage.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:56 PM

Its not just the payment or the luggage space. With added insurance costs and the new payment, I pay about $40 more per month for the shiny new G35c over the 2k max. I financed alittle less than 2/3's of the coupe.

*HOWEVER*
Tires cant be rotated.. Directional and diff sizes = $$$. On the AT w/17's (RSAs) they can be swapped from side to side, but thats kinda pricey and its not worth saving the RSAs really...

Brakes... you can stop with the big boys... I mean up there with 100K cars... But set aside money for pads... and inevitably rotors.

Another thing, parts are very hard to come by.. a fender bender can leave you car-less for 1-3 months depending while you wait for parts.

Scheduled MX is VERY pricey with Infiniti. You know, just the ones to keep your warranty valid every 15 or 30K. It varies, but seems to be around 2x what the Max cost was.

Cost of ownership is just plain higher. Its a value compared to a 330i*, but not much of a value compared to a max.

*after the BMW scheduled MX coverage.
Swing = justify NOT afford.

Sorry, I re-read that myself and got confused.

G35C is too small for my family to travel in, so UNLESS I can justify the G35C to the wifey and SWING a minivan or SUV for travel....the Max is going to be the family hauler for awhile.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:59 PM

blah blah blah... I refer you to your avatar....

swing that!

Old 09-02-2003, 03:03 PM

Quick Reply: I think I will never buy another Nissan