5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I think I will never buy another Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally Posted by TimW
blah blah blah... I refer you to your avatar....

swing that!

It's .....
Old 09-02-2003, 03:42 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

actually, I really wasnt thinking about the added cost of ownership for the coupe. If I really had all that in front of me, not sure I would have done the coupe. I'm still trying to save for a big move, I spent alittle more than I wanted to, so the added ownership costs are not that welcome. I just have to be sure to get my money's worth while I'm driving it.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:43 PM

If you guys think paint chips on the Max are bad, you should've seen my '99 Grand Am. It was full of paint chips...that was the first time I'd ever experienced a paint chip issue. My parents' Intrepid (1999) has almost no paint chips though. I don't think the paint chip issue really is exclusive to Nissan.

Nissan service does suck though. I've gotten 10X better service at 2 'lowly' Pontiac dealers locally than I've ever gotten @ 3 local Nissan dealers when taking in Nissan's "Flagship" for warranty issues.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

actually, I really wasnt thinking about the added cost of ownership for the coupe. If I really had all that in front of me, not sure I would have done the coupe. I'm still trying to save for a big move, I spent alittle more than I wanted to, so the added ownership costs are not that welcome. I just have to be sure to get my money's worth while I'm driving it.

Any pics of the rear seat and trunk?

How much room for passengers/luggage did you lose from the Max->G35C?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Maxima Pilot

From what I've seen/read here on this board,,

Nissan quality is indeed erratic -but if you happen to get a good car, you get a GREAT car.

Same applies for dealers, generally most posts here deride dealers but in my case, I have been extremely pleased with my dealer's service...definitely a 10 on my scale

My car turned 2 years this weekend...yes, I only have 17.6k miles on it but apart from the brakes and the transverse link recall, it's been absolutely flawless.....
Old 09-02-2003, 05:07 PM

Hm...if you guys want good service; the mercedes dealer in atlanta is great. whenever i go with my dad there; first they give you a loaner car for free (even if your car is just getting an oil change); free donuts, regular starbucks coffee, fruits, and bagles in the service room; you won't have to stand there and wait 10 minutes (like NISSAN) just to get help. Most important of all, they never say "Sorry, we can't duplicate the problem"
Old 09-02-2003, 05:09 PM

Woosh: I got a question.. why in the world, after all the problems you've had with them, did you go back to that dealer ?? If they showed that kind of incompetence I would have never given them the keys again. Find another dealer now!

Yes, its sad that you have to do that.. but do what ya gatta do I guess..

My rotors warped at 22k on my 2k2 and, since I'm fortunate enough to have a dealership nearby with a decent service dept I took them in, explained the problem and they surfaced the rotars no prob.. no charge.

So..find another dealer nearby..look in the dealer experience forum.. ask around, whatever. never go back to your current dealer, period.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
True, and even if they do turn the rotors, they'll be warped again in 10k miles.
Same thing happened to me. Took my 2k1 GXE, the dealer turned the rotors, and they warped 5000 miles later. Took it back to the dealer, the service manager said it must be the way I drive, and wanted to charge me a lot of money to install new rotors, pads, etc.

I said the heck with that. Installed aftermarket rotors, brake pads, and metal brake lines. 8000 miles later and no brake problems.

This Nissan is my first and last. Compare a 2004 Maxima vs. a Infinti G35 prices.

baltomax2001
2001 Maxima GXE
Old 09-02-2003, 07:36 PM

Yeah.. i gatta admit though, my next one will be a G35 coupe.. i drool every time i see one on the road.. must...have.... I'd get it now if I wouldnt be about $10k upside down on my current loan
Old 09-02-2003, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Any pics of the rear seat and trunk?

How much room for passengers/luggage did you lose from the Max->G35C?
I went out and snapped a pic or two for ya... try not to laugh...

For lack of anything better, I put my water in there for scale. yep, thats the middle size bottle :/

Ever see those bulk paper towel things at Sams/Costco? Thats exactly how high the trunk is. As far as volume, two of those will fit in there. Just barely..
Old 09-02-2003, 08:25 PM

the back seat.. see the front seat? you can see the height of the front seat, compare that to the back.. if your head is higher than most headrests, your head will be touching the back glass.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:27 PM

Also note, you cant even slide your hand behind the seat to put something behind you on the floorboard. You have to put takeout food in the passenger floorboard or the trunk.. :/

Old 09-02-2003, 08:49 PM

Also note, you cant even slide your hand behind the seat to put something behind you on the floorboard. You have to put takeout food in the passenger floorboard or the trunk.. :/

ROFLOL ROFLOL ROFLOL!!!

I knew it was small...but didn't know it was THAT SMALL. Ok if i ever get into that car, I will feel like the nutty professor when he got stuck in that dodge viper. LOL!!! Imagine a football player that's over 6'4 and weighs 250+ pounds...i would love to see people squeeze into that.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:58 PM

Guess I've been lucky. Five Maxes (starting with a sweet '91 SE) and the worst experience I've had is a maddening vent rattle that I went back to the dealer 5 times on and never got fixed right. But that was my maxed out '99, and I loved it for everything else it offered. Right now, I've got a new Bose on order due to the left channel problem, and I figured what the hell, get the hood TSB done at the same time and dealer said "Sure," even thought the flutter has been minimal.

For all you guys who are dissatisfied, I say this: Come on up and visit me here in the heart of GM territory. After couple of years the paint is peeling off in chunks, the trim is falling off the body, the doors don't line up right and the resale is in the toilet. Now, that stuff is made like CRAP, and the styling is clunky,and you still gotta pay about what you pay for a sleek Maxima when you're looking at junk like a Grand Prixor an Olds Intrigue.

So if you want your Nissan to be an Infiniti, or course you're gonna be disappointed. But compare it to any domestic -- then race 'em -- and you ought to be pretty satisfied.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:07 AM

I'm with you. My next car is an infiniti for sure.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:38 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by woosh
I'm so angry right now after speaking with some poor excuse of a customer service rep from Nissan NA. From last weekend I think I've heard every poor *** excuse from Nissan not to fix the brake judder TSB on my 2K max.

Basically, the car is near the end of the 3yr/36k warranty on the brake judder TSB. The car only has 15K on it and the judder is just presenting itself.

The rep said, TSB's serve as a guideline for the techs and that the 3yr/36k on the TSB is inaccurate print and not to be taken to word. Brakes are a wear and tear item and are not cover under the warranty.
Dumb *** turned fool of a rep, threw every piece of BS at me not to fix this.

I don't know what to do right now cause the warranty is up next week and Nissan is still playing games with me. I think I will never buy another Nissan nor recommend one to my friends just for these types of dishonorable business behavior.

thanks for listening to my vent.
SHIFT_woosh
I ran into a similar problem with the brakes on my 2002 SE @ 28K. I had the rotors turned at a local Nissan Dealership and being that I was still within the factory 3/36k warranty, the brake rotors being turned were covered. If you are still within the factory warranty, the dealership should cover having the rotors turned. This 100% cleared up my brake shutter issue. (Only speaking for myself for this issue)
Thanks.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
I ran into a similar problem with the brakes on my 2002 SE @ 28K. I had the rotors turned at a local Nissan Dealership and being that I was still within the factory 3/36k warranty, the brake rotors being turned were covered. If you are still within the factory warranty, the dealership should cover having the rotors turned. This 100% cleared up my brake shutter issue. (Only speaking for myself for this issue)
Thanks.
Consider yourself very lucky. The TSB that extended the brakes warranty to 3y/36K did not include 2k2s or 2k3s. Normally, they'll only cover the "wear 'n tear" items 1 year/12k miles and NNA is not in the habit of extending "good will" too often.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:56 PM

I am just ****ed about the depreciation. the 02/03maximas have sticker price of 30k+ fully loaded, and right when u drive one of the lot, it goes down to 22k, that is if you are lucky! It will be real funny if i buy another nissan again!
Old 09-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

That's why you buy used or wait until the end of the year for all of the incentives and rebates to come out. *ESP* at the end of a model generation.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by PimpShiFus
I am just ****ed about the depreciation. the 02/03maximas have sticker price of 30k+ fully loaded, and right when u drive one of the lot, it goes down to 22k, that is if you are lucky! It will be real funny if i buy another nissan again!
this is true for most new cars...
Old 09-05-2003, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by PimpShiFus
That's why I'll be ready this Fall to either but a G35 Sedan, or a Coupe. Who cares if someone else drove it first and put 10-13K onthe odometer. And save a good 5-6K on it, my only choice might be the sedan not coupe. However, it'll still be a 330i slayer, even in auto. trim.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by bobcat
this is true for most new cars...
We're talking imports here, though. Both Toyotas and Hondas have much better (less) depreciation than Nissans do. BMW 3-series also has excellent resale because everybody wants them. Nissan resales values are a step below all of the above, but still better off than domestics as a whole.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I feel ya. I will go with Mercedes or M power next. Good luck with the wonderful world of Nissan ownership!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:05 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

I'm so angry right now after speaking with some poor excuse of a customer service rep from Nissan NA. From last weekend I think I've heard every poor *** excuse from Nissan not to fix the brake judder TSB on my 2K max.

Basically, the car is near the end of the 3yr/36k warranty on the brake judder TSB. The car only has 15K on it and the judder is just presenting itself.

The rep said, TSB's serve as a guideline for the techs and that the 3yr/36k on the TSB is inaccurate print and not to be taken to word. Brakes are a wear and tear item and are not cover under the warranty.

I don't know what to do right now cause the warranty is up next week and Nissan is still playing games with me. I think I will never buy another Nissan nor recommend one to my friends just for these types of dishonorable business behavior.

SHIFT_woosh
I know the feeling, when I had my '98 Altima GLE and in June '99 when I had approx. 22K on the odometer at the time, suddenly the car went dead after taking it to the dealer for an oil change, and had to have it towed to the dealer, dealer was willing to cover the tow but still charged me $35 instead of $70 or what should've been a free battery becuz I wasn't close to the 3yr/36K warranty expiring, yet the service rep goes "Batteries are a powertrain item, that warranty is 12mo/12K" and I'm like "Shouldn't this be covered under the 3yr/36K warranty" and he was like "no"

I wish we could do this to dealerships --->
Old 09-11-2003, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
We're talking imports here, though. Both Toyotas and Hondas have much better (less) depreciation than Nissans do. BMW 3-series also has excellent resale because everybody wants them. Nissan resales values are a step below all of the above, but still better off than domestics as a whole.
MUch Much much below
Old 09-11-2003, 07:46 AM

The dealer network is responsible for the poor resale. People trade because they are sick of the treatment, not because the car isnt mechanically sound. The aggressive fleet sales & lease programs were blamed, but that was years ago.

I totally discounted the Z because I dont want another new car of mine ever rolling on a Nissan lot for service.

Btw, my 2k max resale wasnt bad at ALL..
Old 09-11-2003, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The dealer network is responsible for the poor resale. People trade because they are sick of the treatment, not because the car isnt mechanically sound. The aggressive fleet sales & lease programs were blamed, but that was years ago.

I totally discounted the Z because I dont want another new car of mine ever rolling on a Nissan lot for service.

What did you get for your 2K max, how many miles? I have an 01' with 43,000. Just curious!
Old 09-11-2003, 08:11 AM

My father had a 95 GXE 5 speed and before wrecking it at 40k KM it was fine for him.

Last novemember I bought my 2000 SE 5 speed with 37k miles on it from a used car lot. It's got 56k now and the only problem I have had is a bad O2 sensor a week after I bought it (I bet they turned the engine light off on me, since it would drive a few hundred miles before the light would come back on).

Otherwise really I've been really happy with it. Well, once the driver door jammed. It would not open from the inside except with difficulty. I sprayed WD40 in there and great ever since.

The only braking issue I've noticed is when they are really hot from hard brakig before hand they'll make a foul scrunching sound. However, generally I'm really easy on the brakes.

I do my own oil and have not tried Nissan service. So far I'm happy with it.

A word about resale: DO NOT BUY NISSANS NEW. They drop like a ROCK. How else do you think I bought a fully loaded SE (minus the leather and 17" wheels) for $15,300 last year? New it would have been tons more. Late last year (2002 remember), they had a 2002 FULLY loaded SE with 10,500 miles for $20,500. If you buy a new nissan you'll be upside down on the loan forever. Essentially it was a brand new maxima except for pretty low miles (probably highway) for thousands less than new.

This is why the Z is unattractive to me. Used you know the car has been driven crazy, and new you're gonna take a brutal hit in resale. The G35 is the only option, but damn I can't buy one of them for $15k can I?!
Old 09-11-2003, 08:52 AM

I got 15.5K with 45K on a 2K GLE. I lost 10K in 4 years. Not great, but the absolute most any 26K would return in 4 years would be what? 18K? Whoooty fricken doo.. I would pay 2K extra to drive a max over an Accord.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Didnt you trade in and have to remove your HIDs at their request? Or am I on the fun stuff?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:56 AM

I was given the 15.5 trade in value, with or without HIDs.. Heh, whatever.. I *ran* home to swap those things out. In my mind I got 16K from my car, but technically it was 15.5
Old 09-11-2003, 09:09 AM

SHIFT_woosh
I don't think that is a reason to say you will never buy a nother nissan. Many dealers of all brands give crappy service. I buy nissan because I like their products not because of their service. Still doesn't excuse the poor service.