5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just Installed Apple IPod & Nokia 8890 w/ Car Kits. Check It Out!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:28 AM

Just Installed Apple IPod & Nokia 8890 w/ Car Kits. Check It Out!!

Check It Out!!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice setup... I'm working on my own right now. Now you just gotta hide that ugly Belkin adapter!

I bought a cigarette adapter kit and wired that into my accessory power, plugged my Belkin into that, and ran the wire out the side of the center console. The Belkin & added power adapter are tucked up behind the dash via the available space next to where the passenger's left foot would be (but up and out of sight). I also am using the cassette adapter right now, but I've ordered an FM Transmitter which I'll be hardwiring into the back of the dash as well once it arrives. The transmitter I'm going to be using runs off 12volts, not 2 wimpy 1.5v AAA batteries, so it should sound a lot better than the run-of-the-mill consumer transmitters. Also, my plan is to run the antenna up and wrap it around the radio's antenna so the signal doesn't have to travel through the air.

PSMA76, can you shut the top of your center console with those there? I used a universal cellphone mount from Radio Shack for my iPod and it fits great.

Once I'm done with the transmitter I'll be posting pictures on my site.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 09-02-2003, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny
Nice setup... I'm working on my own right now. Now you just gotta hide that ugly Belkin adapter!

I bought a cigarette adapter kit and wired that into my accessory power, plugged my Belkin into that, and ran the wire out the side of the center console. The Belkin & added power adapter are tucked up behind the dash via the available space next to where the passenger's left foot would be (but up and out of sight). I also am using the cassette adapter right now, but I've ordered an FM Transmitter which I'll be hardwiring into the back of the dash as well once it arrives. The transmitter I'm going to be using runs off 12volts, not 2 wimpy 1.5v AAA batteries, so it should sound a lot better than the run-of-the-mill consumer transmitters. Also, my plan is to run the antenna up and wrap it around the radio's antenna so the signal doesn't have to travel through the air.

PSMA76, can you shut the top of your center console with those there? I used a universal cellphone mount from Radio Shack for my iPod and it fits great.

Once I'm done with the transmitter I'll be posting pictures on my site.

Yeah, It closes fine (the center console that is).

I don't want to hide the belkin cause I like the level adjustment on it. Some mp3's are lower than others. It gives a nice fine tuning feature for the music. Also, the FM thing woulnt be good enough quality, the cassette sounds much better.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:15 AM

Here's a quick pic I took with my cellphone. The wires you see on the floor are normally tucked behind the dash - I pulled 'em out for the picture.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by pmas76
Yeah, It closes fine (the center console that is).

I don't want to hide the belkin cause I like the level adjustment on it. Some mp3's are lower than others. It gives a nice fine tuning feature for the music. Also, the FM thing woulnt be good enough quality, the cassette sounds much better.
I just use the reciever volume **** for fine tunning like that, but to each his own.

I'm planning on keeping the cassette setup if the FM doesn't sound good enough (in which case I'll probably copy your approach to hiding the cassette wire). I should have it in by this weekend (depending on shipping) so I'll let you know how it sounds compared to the tape.

Now as long as the rain holds off I'll be hardwiring my 8500 tonight... I'm on a quest to get rid of all my wires.

BTW, nice dash kit. Was it a pain to install?