5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So I'm going for my 3rd tranny on Monday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 01:41 AM

So I'm going for my 3rd tranny on Monday...

and I was wondering:

how many of you out there are on your 3rd one?

Also, at how many miles should I switch to MT-90 Transmission Fluid?

Any would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-07-2003, 06:07 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by 2k2-blk-6spd
and I was wondering:

3rd tranny? What happened to the other 2? How many miles on the car? I have 11K on my 02 and its fine.

Old 09-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

and I was wondering:

I'm not sure whether lemon law applies here, but being on a 3rd transmission on an 02 seems a little extreme.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:37 AM

Stop doing burnouts and stop racing! lol
Old 09-07-2003, 07:59 AM
VQ Wizard

2k2SEmax is on his third. The first one started the bearing whine after he did a 2-3-2 shift and over revved it. The second one started making the same noise about 1500 miles later on it's own (no abuse). His third one seems to be working just fine.

I think I was the first on the board to get a new tranny after I did my 1-2-1 shift at the track. My second tranny seems to have the same 3rd gear synchro problems and I have pretty much babied the thing for the 9 months it's been in the car.

Be VERY careful about the oil you put in this thing. Nissan is being very strict about it. If the dealer does not put in EXACTLY the oil that is specified they will be denied reimbursment for further work on that tranny.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
2k2SEmax is on his third. The first one started the bearing whine after he did a 2-3-2 shift and over revved it. The second one started making the same noise about 1500 miles later on it's own (no abuse). His third one seems to be working just fine.

I think I was the first on the board to get a new tranny after I did my 1-2-1 shift at the track. My second tranny seems to have the same 3rd gear synchro problems and I have pretty much babied the thing for the 9 months it's been in the car.

Be VERY careful about the oil you put in this thing. Nissan is being very strict about it. If the dealer does not put in EXACTLY the oil that is specified they will be denied reimbursment for further work on that tranny.

Is this to say that MT-90 is no longer a good oil to use? I know that Nissan has a TSB stating that only their 75W-85 oil is to be used, but the manual clearly states that 75W-90 is to be used. What are your thoughts on this? I know the shifting could be a lot smoother on my MT. I have been using MT-90 since around 2500 miles on it and I decided to change it at about 17k with more MT-90 and I have noticed that it is more notchy now than before. I have since put 2k miles on it and 4th gear is extremely notchy, for some reason 3rd is alright for me.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

and I was wondering:

I am currently on my third tranny right now. It's an auto though.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:03 PM

Yeah being on my 3rd does seem a little extreme. I got the car July 4, 2002 with 28 miles and have since added 24,000 miles. I got the first tranny replaced at about 9,000 and the second one started grinding 3rd after being on the car around 3,500 miles with absolutely NO abuse.

Granted, the first tranny was my first ever manual tranny. I watched videos, read books and took lessons on shifting so I really don't think I destroyed it. I might have messed it up myself this ONE time where I shifted to 3rd at 70 miles per hour, not over-revved, just highly revved. The second tranny has NO excuses. I babied it all the way until it started grinding. I am serious when I say that I did not shift above 4k AT ALL but it still started grinding 3rd after a few thousand miles...sad.

The Lemon Law is looking like a better and better option to me because, as -Red- pointed out, this is my THIRD one and if this one busts, I'm putting in a complaint and seeing what my state's lemon laws have to say about replacing a transmission on a car 4 times...

Thanks everyone for your answer, I'm taking it in on Monday morning to get this sucker replaced. Wish me luck!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:57 PM
VQ Wizard

Yeah being on my 3rd does seem a little extreme. I got the car July 4, 2002 with 28 miles and have since added 24,000 miles. I got the first tranny replaced at about 9,000 and the second one started grinding 3rd after being on the car around 3,500 miles with absolutely NO abuse.

Granted, the first tranny was my first ever manual tranny. I watched videos, read books and took lessons on shifting so I really don't think I destroyed it. I might have messed it up myself this ONE time where I shifted to 3rd at 70 miles per hour, not over-revved, just highly revved. The second tranny has NO excuses. I babied it all the way until it started grinding. I am serious when I say that I did not shift above 4k AT ALL but it still started grinding 3rd after a few thousand miles...sad.

The Lemon Law is looking like a better and better option to me because, as -Red- pointed out, this is my THIRD one and if this one busts, I'm putting in a complaint and seeing what my state's lemon laws have to say about replacing a transmission on a car 4 times...

Thanks everyone for your answer, I'm taking it in on Monday morning to get this sucker replaced. Wish me luck!
I don't think the lemon loaw will apply especially since they actually replaced them. If there was enough interest I could have some kevlar 3rd gear synchros made for us which would solve the problem.

It's not just the 6 speed cars either. I have always had problems with crappie Nissan synchros.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:57 PM

I don't think the lemon loaw will apply especially since they actually replaced them. If there was enough interest I could have some kevlar 3rd gear synchros made for us which would solve the problem.

It's not just the 6 speed cars either. I have always had problems with crappie Nissan synchros.
Kevlar synchros would be the shiznit. I'm not doing that until they come out with boost for the 2k2/2k3's though. As soon as boost is out, I'm re-building my tranny and getting a performance clutch to go show these Camaro SS guys what a family sedan is capable of

I'll keep y'all updated on how my "new" tranny feels as soon as they're done with it.

Laterz fellow Org'ers,

Cesar
Old 09-07-2003, 07:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had my 6 speed tranny replaced once at 6K. Did a 2-3-2 shift and gained a whine noise. Its been fine since. Stupid cable shifter isn't precise enough to shift really quickly.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:12 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself....I'm on my third tranny and it is performing beyond my expectations. Looks like third time is a charm in the my case. The second tranny was a joke. Thank God I took my car to another dealership for the third tranny installation (Thanks SR20DEN!) This tranny performs better than the original tranny that came with the car. Smooth shifting, no more gear grinding or missed shifts, etc. I'm very satisfied.
BTW - I have the original oil that the last dealer installed with the new tranny. I see no reason to swap it with the Redline oil.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:34 PM

well, I had posted a few days ago about my 3rd gear grinding noise. I've got 7K on my 2002. Anywayz, I took the Max to Nissan on last week, and the mech test drove it with me, and verified the grind. The manager said he's got nothing on his PC about this, so he has to contact Nissan @ CAlifornia, and that he will call me. This was last Thursday. Kinda sucks really. I guess due to warranty issues, they prollly gotta ck. with Cali (?). Anywayz, I'll ck. with them on Tues. I just want my car fixed man... Good luck to you too. I hope 3rd time is the charm!!

Regards,

ShysMax
2002 6Spd.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think my second tranny is giving way. Its fuggin up pretty bad switching gears. Bad for me though cause I had my last one changed out at 59,900 miles so im out of warrantee on this one now. Two bad transmisions and a bad MAF, I'm beginning to hate my 01 maxima and im only at 65k. Oh and my CE light comes on and off randomly and everytime i take it to the shop they say nothings wrong.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by shysmax
well, I had posted a few days ago about my 3rd gear grinding noise. I've got 7K on my 2002. Anywayz, I took the Max to Nissan on last week, and the mech test drove it with me, and verified the grind. The manager said he's got nothing on his PC about this, so he has to contact Nissan @ CAlifornia, and that he will call me. This was last Thursday. Kinda sucks really. I guess due to warranty issues, they prollly gotta ck. with Cali (?). Anywayz, I'll ck. with them on Tues. I just want my car fixed man... Good luck to you too. I hope 3rd time is the charm!!

Regards,

ShysMax
2002 6Spd.

Hey just wait it out, the guy will call you back but it might take a few days. I took mine in on a Thursday and they didn't call me back until the following Friday (not 1 day, one week 1 day) but he said he had talked to Nissan @ Cali and that they said to just replace it with a new one and promptly sent one to the dealership. By the time the guy called me on Friday, the tranny was already there so I should get my car back pretty quickly...I hope.