5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dead VQ35. Nissan basically denies warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by brianc
You claim you didn't lie but in your original post when asked if you had nitrous you said no. Wouldn't that be a lie?
He didn't answer.

You again attempted to deceive the dealer by removing all of the mods prior to taking your car in. Why? Because you knew it was your fault in the beginning.
The dealership told him they would not care what he had on the car as long as it was off when it was in for service/warranty. So of course he took all the mods off. That's what THEY told him to.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Moderator GT-R

Basically it's like this ... you mod'd, you blew, you own it.
End of story.

You claim you didn't lie but in your original post when asked if you had nitrous you said no. Wouldn't that be a lie?

You again attempted to deceive the dealer by removing all of the mods prior to taking your car in. Why? Because you knew it was your fault in the beginning.

Sorry dude you got what you deserved.

I don't know if he deserved it, but the dealer/Nissan doesn't owe him anything.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:48 AM
VQ Wizard

End of story.

You should go back and read. I never denied having nitrous on the car. I just wouldn't answer the question 'yes'. Under the constitution of law I am not required to answer incriminating questions.
There fore I did not lie, I did not break any laws. I did not even attempt to deceive the dealer.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:54 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Dave B
I don't think you realize that the broken engine parts would be sent to a Nissan powertrain lab for testing. From there they determine what caused the failure. If Nissan notices that the car was pushing more power than normal and or the modifications caused the failure, the dealership is in jeopardy of loosing the reimebursement for warranty repairs. That's why dealerships are so testy when it comes to modifications, they could loose money.

I don't think that just because you're a return customer (3 times) and you buy from thier parts department necessarily means they should flip the bill for a $4000+ repair. If they did, they'd be breaking even on you because they only make about $700-1000 off a car and a few bucks off the parts.

I appauld you for being honest to them about the mods. It was worth a shot.

You might want to give up on trying to source and install a motor in one week though. It usually takes a week just to get the motor unless you can get one locally and I'd think install would take a solid 3 days with a day of wiring and trouble shooting.

Dave
That is a very rare occurance. More often than not the parts are sold off to a local salvage dealer. It is highly likely that if they did the work and pulled the motor it would have come back into my posession. I have many connections. How is the end of next week only one week?
I already started yesterday by having the A/C evacuated.

To everyone else;
My bad feelings for the service department and my objectives here are not up for debate. I played with fire and I got burned. I have already accepted responsibility and said so on more than one occasion. I will fix the car and do it within the time I please.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:54 AM

I tried to get my wheel bearing fixed once and they said it was b/c my car was lowered and the impact from the stiff springs was what made them go bad. I just asked him to explain this in more detail and give a written statement explaining this. He looked at me with a befudled look and said ok. He them called me the next day to say my car was ready. i was not happy with this b/c about 3 months later the other wheel bearings went out and they tried to give me crap. the moral of the story was that they kept trying to give me the run around. once i made them actually have to do work to refuse me they gave in but it was not so easy when my MAF sensor went out they would not bugg. bastards. the kicker is that their slogan is Mossy nissan the no hassle dealer(in houston). they have given me more hassle than any other dealer. the nissan dealer in waco did what ever i asked of them. it really is dealer specific.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:02 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

End of story.

Dude, did you actually read what he posted before making this asinine comment? Just STFU and learn to READ ENGLISH
Old 09-09-2003, 09:09 AM

I am not going to get into a contest of who's **** is bigger but i can read english and i was just stating that nissan service generally sucks. i know I rambled i little but what got up your ***. come the **** down. I know you are probably annoyed by people messing up all the threads but jease go to therapy.
I will no longer argue this topic for the sake of keeping this thread on topic.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:11 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Luquire
I am not going to get into a contest of who's **** is bigger but i can read english and i was just stating that nissan service generally sucks. i know I rambled i little but what got up your ***. come the **** down. I know you are probably annoyed by people messing up all the threads but jease go to therapy.

Who the fck was talking to you? I was quoting brianc, not you. Like I stated before...learn to READ ENGLISH!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:14 AM

sorry that was my bad. I agree with you. and I probably need to pay more attention but I am at work and it is crazy around here
Old 09-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My bad with the time frame Matt. With all the comercials here in Atlanta I for some reason thought it was this weekend.

If you find a motor here I Atlanta I'd be more than happy to drive it up to you. I've got a Chevy 1500HD with miles to burn on the lease. Atlanta being a larger market it maybe easier to find a good deal.

If you'd like I could also do some searching here for you and see what I come up with.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:18 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Luquire
sorry that was my bad. I agree with you. and I probably need to pay more attention but I am at work and it is crazy around here

It's cool. I know the work feeling (although not right now )...
Old 09-09-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
It's cool. I know the work feeling (although not right now )...

I know that feeling, it's dead here too
Old 09-09-2003, 09:45 AM

Well based on car-part.com you've got several to choose from in your neck of the woods Matt. But if you'd like some more options or if something falls through let me know. I've got a buddy that has lots of contacts here I'm sure I could find you something reasonable.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:50 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

ok, lets not thread crap. He has the precedent to ask for help from Nissan as they have before. He only complained about the handling from the dealer, not the coverage. Besides, he's just lost a couple of thousand bucks. Damn, lets try to be alittle supportive about it. I'm pretty sure he knows/understands why it happened and whos fault it is..
Old 09-09-2003, 09:56 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by TimW
ok, lets not thread crap. He has the precedent to ask for help from Nissan as they have before. He only complained about the handling from the dealer, not the coverage. Besides, he's just lost a couple of thousand bucks. Damn, lets try to be alittle supportive about it. I'm pretty sure he knows/understands why it happened and whos fault it is..
well said tim..

Old 09-09-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

Dave it's my understanding that Nissan dealers make SUBSTANTIAL amounts of $ on parts if they are retail. ie.. how can courtesy/JR Nissane etc.. all extend 25% off parts on a regular basis and still make $? Because the part is orginally marked up close to 45% to begin with.

I also don't know if Nissan would go to the trouble of having a broken motor analyzed. That in itself would cost a few thousand.

Originally Posted by Dave B
I don't think you realize that the broken engine parts would be sent to a Nissan powertrain lab for testing. From there they determine what caused the failure. If Nissan notices that the car was pushing more power than normal and or the modifications caused the failure, the dealership is in jeopardy of loosing the reimebursement for warranty repairs. That's why dealerships are so testy when it comes to modifications, they could loose money.

I don't think that just because you're a return customer (3 times) and you buy from thier parts department necessarily means they should flip the bill for a $4000+ repair. If they did, they'd be breaking even on you because they only make about $700-1000 off a car and a few bucks off the parts.

I appauld you for being honest to them about the mods. It was worth a shot.

You might want to give up on trying to source and install a motor in one week though. It usually takes a week just to get the motor unless you can get one locally and I'd think install would take a solid 3 days with a day of wiring and trouble shooting.

Dave
Old 09-09-2003, 10:12 AM
tEh Hope

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
You should go back and read. I never denied having nitrous on the car. I just wouldn't answer the question 'yes'. Under the constitution of law I am not required to answer incriminating questions.
There fore I did not lie, I did not break any laws. I did not even attempt to deceive the dealer.

You see man, that's where you made the biggest mistake... I mean, the dealer would obviously deny the warranty claim if they find out about nitrous... that's why like someone said, you should have played real dumb and replied something like, "What? Nitrous? what's that?". I bet you you probably would have had a chance. Sometimes you have to lie, it's not like Nissan had been honest with us... like the hp, paint and other issues...

Why don't you take it to another dealer? I don't know if dealers share databases, but if they don't you still have another chance. Also, try to eliminate traces of nitrous... I am sure there is some kind of chemical agent that will kill any remaining nitrous...
Old 09-09-2003, 10:28 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny

First off, neither the Consitution nor the 5th Amendment have any bearing on what you do/don't say to a Nissan GM. It only applies in court in regards to criminal cases, it has no meaning outside the courtroom.

"...nor shall [any person] be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself..."

Secondly, the pleading the 5th Amendment is pretty much useless when they're asking you a yes/no question!

"Did you kill that girl?"
"I plead the 5th..."

I think the Jury has their answer.

Serously though, that sucks about your car... I hope you can get it up and running again without breaking your bank. Good luck, man.

I was asked a yes or no question. I was using the law as basis for morality. I chose not to answer a question and in a court of law I would have had the right to do so.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Dave it's my understanding that Nissan dealers make SUBSTANTIAL amounts of $ on parts if they are retail. ie.. how can courtesy/JR Nissane etc.. all extend 25% off parts on a regular basis and still make $? Because the part is orginally marked up close to 45% to begin with.

I also don't know if Nissan would go to the trouble of having a broken motor analyzed. That in itself would cost a few thousand.
OK, someone do a test with my data. I purchased a new TPS and installed it myself (my was definitely fargged up). I paid $8.xx for it...

So how much does another dealer charge for it? There's a quick answer on markup. It's more on some parts, and way less on others.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:51 AM
jjs

I was asked a yes or no question. I was using the law as basis for morality. I chose not to answer a question and in a court of law I would have had the right to do so.
Problem with that mentality (other than the fact that rarely have I found laws and morals to actually go together), is that you just nailed your own coffin on this one. By law, they would only have to honor work if you had IN WRITING that they agreed to fix things even if your mods hurt the car. Since this was all verbal and basically not provable, I am sorry to say I really can't fault them for not wanting to pay for the work. I wonder which story a jury or judge would find more plausible...something tells me not yours, even if true.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:54 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by jjs
Problem with that mentality (other than the fact that rarely have I found laws and morals to actually go together), is that you just nailed your own coffin on this one. By law, they would only have to honor work if you had IN WRITING that they agreed to fix things even if your mods hurt the car. Since this was all verbal and basically not provable, I am sorry to say I really can't fault them for not wanting to pay for the work. I wonder which story a jury or judge would find more plausible...something tells me not yours, even if true.
All of these points have been counterpointed by me more than once.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:57 AM

That is a very rare occurance. More often than not the parts are sold off to a local salvage dealer. It is highly likely that if they did the work and pulled the motor it would have come back into my posession.
Hmm, I don't think it's that rare. Every time I've taken my car in for TSB and recall work, I tell them I'd like the part that they replaced or at least to see it (stopper and MAF sensor) and they said they can't. They said it has to be sent back to Nissan.

In that particular case I'd imagine it's to help keep the dealer honest and also to keep those parts from ending back up in the market.

Seriously, for a big engine repair or replacement, I'm sure Nissan would want to see it and see what went wrong. The VQ35 is obviously still in production and in wide use. It would make sense from them to do some failure analysis. If it went out of production, then I could see why they'd care less.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:59 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Some states have a legally binding word of mouth contract law, while others don't. Georgia does not have this law (which is why you better know your **** when dealing with dealers for anything)...

Oops...quoted the wrong person, but you catch my drift.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:00 AM
jjs

And these points are STILL no less valid. OK, time to agree to disagree.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:01 AM
VQ Wizard

I really do not welcome critizism in this thread because no one has really mentioned anything that I hadn't either thought of or tried prior to making this post. Many of you wanted to know what I was upto and how my project had been going so I gave a detail explaination of the chain of events. This is exactly the reason why I hide so many things from you people. I have a huge bag of secrets that I choose only to share with those who are open minded enough to put them to good use. I could potentialy contribute so much more to this board if the haters would just lay off.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:07 AM
jjs

I really do not welcome critizism in this thread because no one has really mentioned anything that I hadn't either thought of or tried prior to making this post. Many of you wanted to know what I was upto and how my project had been going so I gave a detail explaination of the chain of events. This is exactly the reason why I hide so many things from you people. I have a huge bag of secrets that I choose only to share with those who are open minded enough to put them to good use. I could potentialy contribute so much more to this board if the haters would just lay off.
Whoa dude!!! If you want truly open minded people, then you need to be open minded enough to listen when people try to explain that the dealership has a point as well. If noone has mentioned anything new and you tried everything, why post it at all then? I am NOT flaming or warring here, just not understanding the defensiveness.
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't doubt the mark up, but the amount of money they'd make of him is minimal overall (most likely less than $1000).

As for engine failure analysis, it's just an assumption. I work with Ford Motor Company and I know that they have a powertrain division in Dearborn, MI which analyizes engine and tranny component failures in an effort to design better replacement and future parts. I could only assume Nissan is the same way.

Dave
Got Bent?

goodness... I think we have had enough of the chastizing and whatnot... I don't think the original intent of the thread was to seek sympathy from anyone for the situation. It was simply to outline what happened... try and be somewhat supportive... or else this thread is going to go to crap... and then time for lockdown....
Old 09-09-2003, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
I think we all understand your frustration, but I doubt you spent enough to cover the cost of an engine swap if they do the work and nissan denies their claim. If you negotiated a decent deal on those cars then they probably made in the hundreds of dollars in profit, and the "thousands of dollars in parts"...what's markup on that??

If you made a mistake they *could* cover up, maybe they would have, but don't blame them because you broke it good.

Good luck getting it back together in time. Update the thread and let us know how it works out.
I agree, they did what they could. They have to justify the warranty work to Nissan. If they can't, they can't. How can they explain a toasted piston? Nissan would immediately call BS on them and want an explanation of how it could happen. They did their best and they treated him well. They could have kicked his @$$ to the curb much earlier, like as soon as they found the problem and they know it was something they can't cover.

Don't get mad at them for your **** up.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:15 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Well said, and some of the "haters" are people who themselves have posted their own experiences with Nissan dis-Service (and I know for a fact some of them are modded). What makes them any different from you (except that you actually told your dealer that you were going to mod your car)? The fact of the matter is that you got screwed by trusting your dealer, who up until this point was willing to work with you in your endeavors...

I can also see why they now will not help you out (their cost issue), but it doesn't mean that it's necessarily right (especially given the fact that you do use them for service and parts, and are a repeat buyer who has sent others to their dealership based on the reputation they have built with you). Also, they shouldn't have treated you like some POS that just walked in off the street, never having used their service before except now in their most dire need. They are not a respectable dealer, IMHO, both because they are unwilling to work with you now on this issue, and also in the fact that they are treating you like scum of the Earth suddenly after the development of your current issue...

I guess the moral of the story is to fend for yourself, don't disclose anything of a modification/performance enhancement issue with the dealer, but still use them as much as possible for parts/service/work on the vehicle so that just in case anything like this happens, you have a way to get something done. This is a case of you doing everything right and still getting the shaft. Fukk the dealer...go you're own route, and never let this happen again.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:19 AM
I'm needing a caw

IMHO, they didn't do anything. I didn't see any mention of the dealer stating they would like to warranty the motor but probably couldn't because they would be denied by Nissan Corp. It didn't even get that far. When it came down to actually going out on a limb for a good customer, they ran away. And he's not blaming anyone. That's pretty clear here.

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
I agree, they did what they could. They have to justify the warranty work to Nissan. If they can't, they can't. How can they explain a toasted piston? Nissan would immediately call BS on them and want an explanation of how it could happen. They did their best and they treated him well. They could have kicked his @$$ to the curb much earlier, like as soon as they found the problem and they know it was something they can't cover.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:20 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT

****comment striken from records****

EDIT--Doh! Jeff beat me to it...
Old 09-09-2003, 11:21 AM

I think they definitely would. The point was made that this engine is still a huge part of their current production. They have complete faith in the design's durability. A catastrophic failure like this one is very uncommon and I think Nissan would spend a couple thousand to deny a four thousand plus claim.

I think the GM’s and mysteriously disappearing SM’s attitude comes from not knowing how to graciously deliver bad news. You are a reasonable guy who made a big money mistake. I guess it doesn’t hurt to try, but when the bad news came, you were not willing to accept it because it wasn’t delivered properly. The GM/SM see you as some hot rod guy that has abused his car and now wants Nissan to just pay up, no questions asked, and that attitude shined through in their communication with you.

This wasn't ment to sound harsh, just a bystander's point of view.
Good luck with your repair.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:28 AM

That sucks man. Hopefully everything works out for you.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm maybe they would. I wonder if they would make him wait until after the analysis to accept/deny the warranty? Or go ahead and warranty it and then inspect the motor on their own time/dime?

Originally Posted by Todds_max
I think they definitely would. The point was made that this engine is still a huge part of their current production. They have complete faith in the design's durability. A catastrophic failure like this one is very uncommon and I think Nissan would spend a couple thousand to deny a four thousand plus claim.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:31 AM

IMHO, they didn't do anything. I didn't see any mention of the dealer stating they would like to warranty the motor but probably couldn't because they would be denied by Nissan Corp. It didn't even get that far. When it came down to actually going out on a limb for a good customer, they ran away. And he's not blaming anyone. That's pretty clear here.
Bah! They have an idea of what Nissan will cover and what they won't. Nissan would demand an explanation and/or investigation as to why this happened, esp. for such an expensive repair. They know they can't provide a realistic answer, other than "he was running nitrous."

And they did discuss the possibility of investigating, and warned him that he would have to pay the tab when Nissan denied the coverage. And SR20DEN also knew Nissan would deny it, that's why he didn't tell them to go ahead! Quote: "So I ask the guy what would happen if they spent all this labor time only to find that Nissan would deny a claim. He tells me the cost would be on me. I tell him that there is no way they will get the job if it's not warranty and I ask if I should take it somewhere else." The dealer doesn't approve warranty work, Nissan does. They simply informed him that they knew Nissan would not approve of this. What else can they do?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:38 AM
I'm needing a caw

I wonder why all the tech people all disappeared when it came time to give him a decent explaination. They handled it terribly and IMHO still didn't go to bat for him.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:39 AM

DAMN........sounds like the dealerships around here! NISSAN warrenty is a load of ****.... front pre-cat is falling apart in the front and they blame it on my RT high flow cat (not enough backpressure they claim)...... 1307.95 to fix it! im just waiting on those stillen headers that were supposed to be out in 30 days about 4 months ago.....nissan dissapointed me a few times and i prob wont get another.... i feel for ya man! good luck....

will
Old 09-09-2003, 11:44 AM

I wonder why all the tech people all disappeared when it came time to give him a decent explaination. They handled it terribly and IMHO still didn't go to bat for him.
It's not the tech's job to deal with upset customers. They had to tell him they can't cover a potentially multi-thousand dollar job; they can kind of guess he will be upset. The tech's aren't paid to deal with PO'd customers. That's the manager's job.

I know my boss would never put me in front of an upset customer. (a) not my job, (b) I'm not a people person (ie. I'd probably make the situation worse).
Old 09-09-2003, 11:48 AM

I knew this would happen too so I stood my ground. He asked me if I was running nitrous on the car and I just gave him a blank stare and refused to answer. He says "is that a yes?" I say "no, that is no answer. I am not going to lie to you guys about anything but I also am not going to answer questions that you may try to use against me."
Two things:

1)They should have never told you "it's okay to mod your car, just return to stock and we will fix it." if they weren't going to honor it.

2)You should know better. Welcome to the real world, get it in writing.

If someone offers me something verbally that is too good to be true, I never take it...because it usually is.

A guy worked on my house and promised $50 for every referral, he got business I got squat.
My salesman told me "Free oil changes for every referral", I have yet to receive one.

Good luck with your car.

Quick Reply: Dead VQ35. Nissan basically denies warranty.