5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OK...really tired of the BOGGING (2k M/T)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 09:33 AM

OK...really tired of the BOGGING (2k M/T)

All right. Tired of this. I am getting hesitation/bogging from a stop through the 1st and 2nd gear. At times, power output is linear, other times it is jumpy and bogs down with a tapping noise.

I use 93 octane gas ALL the time.

My Max has 37000mi on it.

No check engine service light

This happens at every temp extreme and has been this way since this winter.

To help diagnose the problem, I had at one point disconnected both sensors from the stock "scoop" intake (Air Temp and Absolute Pressure ) and everything was much smoother. I was discouraged from leaving it this way by the very helful members of the NissanX forums. One of the suggestions was to take the Air Temp sensor out and replace it with a resistor to make the car think it was running at the same Air Temp. Thought everything was gravy but I am still getting this problem.

Now, I fully intend on getting a new Air Temp sensor (I am assuming that the old one was malfunctioning and still not throwing a code) but am not sold on this being the only issue.

Anyone have any ideas? Coils were supposedly checked last year by dealer. I have not ruled out a bad plug and plan on swapping them anyways. What else?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Describe "tapping noise"...
Old 09-17-2003, 09:47 AM

Lower end (at least thats what it sounds like) at the "bottom" of the bogging as the engine is struggling to pull. Like what I would expect if I ran 87 octane. Fairly brief.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Does it sound like pinging, ie a metalic rattle?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Does it sound like pinging, ie a metalic rattle?
Sort of. Not high pitched. Kind of like if you try to go from a stop in 2nd or 3rd gear.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine drives like that sometimes (mysteriously "jerky"), although I've gotten used to it (usually working the clutch to smooth it out)... don't think I've heard any noises though. The car sometimes takes off smoothly but when I pull the clutch out all the way, instead of proceeding forward like normal it feels like the engine just stalled, resulting in a nice deep JERK sensation, then it proceeds. I'm not sure if it's my clutch technique or a fault in the engine... and I've never tweaked anything to improve it (although I must say I haven't had this happen much at all since I hypergrounded the engine bay...)
Old 09-17-2003, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Mine drives like that sometimes (mysteriously "jerky"), although I've gotten used to it (usually working the clutch to smooth it out)...
My problem basically started this way. I should probably add to the discussion that I am runnning a Berk Intake (Frankencar sitting in the garage ready to go in) with the updated MAF.

And just for kicks, yes, I ran with the stock air intake back on for a a few weeks and the problem remained.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:03 PM

Hey this is sorta off-topic,(but kinda on-topic as I need some OEM parts) but is Dave B still in the parts business? I only ask cause I know there was some issue about him leaving one place and working at another...or some such.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxxximus
Hey this is sorta off-topic,(but kinda on-topic as I need some OEM parts) but is Dave B still in the parts business? I only ask cause I know there was some issue about him leaving one place and working at another...or some such.

Yes, I spoke to him Monday. He's at Southpoint Nissan in Austin, Texas. Look them up on the web.