5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Problems...rant...2002 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Problems...rant...2002 Maxima

First, I had the wind noise from the moonroof. I got that fixed, they added some shims... Second, I had the dimly lit SES light. I shrugged it off. I still have it, but isn't a big deal. Third, I had the buzzing noise coming from the tweeters. Now, finally, my left side speakers do not work. It appears the midrange or lows work if you turn it up really loud, however, the highs and tweeters do not work at all. I'm gonna try to bring it in tomorrow so they can order the Head unit and Instrument cluster. Mind as well get them both fixed. Let me know your thoughts... How much worst can it get? Yes, I have the paint chip problem, too. It has all been touched up though...
Old 09-19-2003, 06:44 PM
It's chrome alright...

it's not just nissan... lurk in a bmw forum, or chevy, or saturn, or anything but toyota (they're still rock solid IMO) ... everyone is having quality issues.

get them fixed and enjoy the car.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:11 AM
IgS

Originally Posted by nismoxtreme
First, I had the wind noise from the moonroof. I got that fixed, they added some shims... Second, I had the dimly lit SES light. I shrugged it off. I still have it, but isn't a big deal. Third, I had the buzzing noise coming from the tweeters. Now, finally, my left side speakers do not work. It appears the midrange or lows work if you turn it up really loud, however, the highs and tweeters do not work at all. I'm gonna try to bring it in tomorrow so they can order the Head unit and Instrument cluster. Mind as well get them both fixed. Let me know your thoughts... How much worst can it get? Yes, I have the paint chip problem, too. It has all been touched up though...
wait the dimly lit SES light is not a problem at all right???
cause i can barely see it at night...

-IgS
Old 09-20-2003, 12:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is funny is when I hit a hard bump it went out. Then sometime later it will come back on when I am driving. At first, I thought it was some speed sensitive volume or something. However, it would sometimes get louder when I released the gas pedal, which was kinda strange. So, the left speakers would start to work when I started to slow down...
Old 09-20-2003, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
it's not just nissan... lurk in a bmw forum, or chevy, or saturn, or anything but toyota (they're still rock solid IMO) ... everyone is having quality issues.

get them fixed and enjoy the car.
Well said and i agree !
Old 09-20-2003, 06:37 AM
vqman

I used to really hate my 2k3...

I had a 1998 Maxima before it, and I couldn't stand the downgrade in quality and fit-n-finish.

I still think the fit and finish (exterior and interior peices coming together to make the car) are better with the 4th Gen.

I still think the overall quality is better on the 4th gen...

but my problems were (when new) excessive rattling and paint chips..

the rattling has subsided...I didn't think it was possible, but it has gotten to the point that it isn't noticeable anymore...(I don't think I just got used to it either)

The paint chips? I plan to just have the whole thing repainted after I get it paid off...I'll spend $$$ to have it done nicely...this makes it easier to care for the current paint finish (no waxing...who cares? it's getting repainted!!!)

about your stereo? damn...I'm glad I got a 2k3...the only problems I have are related to BOSE sounding like crap..all the speakers are working..they just sound ****ty compared to what I would prefer. (Boston Acoustics Pro Series mid-highs & some 10's) but i like the stock "look" I guess i'm gettin old like that...

-vq

Old 09-20-2003, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have had some problems with mine too.

-Squeeling Clutch
-the same radio problem as you are having
-warped rotors
-tons of paint chips

All have been repaired except for the paint chips.

The problems were annoying but after they were fixed, the car was great!!

Hang in there.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:37 AM

yea lots of different manufacturers have problems in their cars, I belong to many other car fourms and they have lots of similar problems but some have engine problems and trans problems that make ours look like nothing.

So Far on my maxima....

-New Head Unit
-Warped Rotors X3
-noise from moonroof deflector (removed)
-car pulls to the right while crusing
-paint chips
-more paint chips
-rattling power seat (passenger side)
-Moonroof operates by itself!
-Tail light leakage
-rattling rear deck
-light pinging from engine (fixed)
-Replaced faulty Drive by wire / Throttle Body

-all covered under warranty except the paint issues
Old 09-21-2003, 04:06 PM

Theres a TSB for the radio issue. They replace the headunit. Take it to Nissan and they will do this for you.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:09 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by 02MaximaSE
-light pinging from engine (fixed)
how did you get your pinging fixed? Was it your knock sensor?
Old 09-21-2003, 05:26 PM

You guys are too kind! Think about what you are saying... you paid $22,000-30,000 for a car with chipping paint, rattles, warped rotors, repeatedly blown MAF, screwy radios, shaking hoods, etc. yet you sing the praises of your cars. I thought this sort of blind devotion was limited to Land Rover and Porsche owners! Seriously, why are you so willing to overlook these significant issues. I mean here's a guy who is already planning to have his 2003, BRAND NEW CAR, repainted to cover the sub-standard work done by the factory. What's the deal?!
Old 09-21-2003, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by maximadave
how did you get your pinging fixed? Was it your knock sensor?
I had my MAF replaced and started using Techron Gasoline supreme. I experienced the pinging while getting gas from HESS and RaceTrac. At first I didnt know I had some moderate pinging until I actually drove with the radio OFF then that ding gtink diesel sound came into my ears.. Took it to the dealer and they said all was fine .. go figure.. and told me to get some techron (which i have to drive 6 miles to get rather than .5 for Hess) which isnt much of a drive anyhow.. But as of yet no pinging can be heard.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by jay beede
You guys are too kind! Think about what you are saying... you paid $22,000-30,000 for a car with chipping paint, rattles, warped rotors, repeatedly blown MAF, screwy radios, shaking hoods, etc. yet you sing the praises of your cars.
I agree. My wife's 2001 SE is just short of being a POS...I mean it's got the paint problem, the SES light always on, the leather seats are already tearing. Most tight turns are 3 point turns. My son and daughter in law's 91 and 93 SE are made so much better.

The only plus is the car looks great. Personally I got rid of mine for a TA.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 02MaximaSE
I had my MAF replaced and started using Techron Gasoline supreme. I experienced the pinging while getting gas from HESS and RaceTrac. At first I didnt know I had some moderate pinging until I actually drove with the radio OFF then that ding gtink diesel sound came into my ears.. Took it to the dealer and they said all was fine .. go figure.. and told me to get some techron (which i have to drive 6 miles to get rather than .5 for Hess) which isnt much of a drive anyhow.. But as of yet no pinging can be heard.
What octane rating gasoline were you buying at Hess? Do you believe that you should have to buy "supreme" just to eliminate pre-ignition?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxi-freak
I agree. My wife's 2001 SE is just short of being a POS...I mean it's got the paint problem, the SES light always on, the leather seats are already tearing. Most tight turns are 3 point turns. My son and daughter in law's 91 and 93 SE are made so much better.

The only plus is the car looks great. Personally I got rid of mine for a TA.
Thank you for posting. Maybe I am not insane. As a platform for cheapo after market glitz the maxima may be in the class of the Honda Civic or Acura Integra--but as a "flagship" vehicle the maxima, with its list of common ailments (paint chips, dim SES, hood judder, brake shudder, blown MAF, ECU, air leaks, power window regulators, self-reversing windows, skipping CD players, etc.) is sadly outclassed by all of Japan, inc. except maybe Isuzu. I've said it before... In my heart I really wanted to buy Jaguar but my brain insisted on Nissan. At the least I would have EXPECTED the Jaguar to suck in terms of quality control and frequency of problems! Oh well, at least the Nissan was cheap.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:20 PM

also my write up from the dealer for the pinging which they DID replicate, was Customer used mid-grade gasoline which induced pinging at load. Service dept recommended 93 octane+ gasoline. Replaced MAF as per TSB, Made adjustments to ECU as per TSB and per Pinging.
The pinging lasted for about 3 weeks... the problem was pretty RECENT. I've never experienced it for 35,500 miles even with light towing up and down hills. Until i was being negligent and got lazy and used some cheaper gas and didnt get my usual 93 octane from chevron.

I only used 89 a twice but only to top off the tank (2-3 gallons) before I drove across cities. But the Race Trac gas here was only available with 91 .. yes 91 octane. They are in the process of converting to 93.. I hear about a gas station across town that offers 94 octane pumps. Which I may try..... I usually use 96 octane mixtures at the track.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:35 PM
It's chrome alright...

You guys are too kind! Think about what you are saying... you paid $22,000-30,000 for a car with chipping paint, rattles, warped rotors, repeatedly blown MAF, screwy radios, shaking hoods, etc. yet you sing the praises of your cars. I thought this sort of blind devotion was limited to Land Rover and Porsche owners! Seriously, why are you so willing to overlook these significant issues. I mean here's a guy who is already planning to have his 2003, BRAND NEW CAR, repainted to cover the sub-standard work done by the factory. What's the deal?!
I really like my car. It's not blind devotion... the engine is rock solid, it handles well (not like a porsche, but it's not supposed to be), it has plenty of room, came with very nice accessories and options. I would rate my "maxima experience" a 7 on a scale of 1-10 (10 is perfect). My volvo cross-country is an 8.5 on that same scale but it also cost $10k more so it's not a fair comparison.

What "significant issues"?

-Paint chipping? Like on my friend's M5? He paid $80k for that and has about the same number of chips as me. It's the laws about no oil based paint that's doing that, not nissan.
-Rattles? Like my friend's SLK 320? He paid $50k for that and has a rattle so bad they're going to replace the whole dash... yes, THE WHOLE DASH.
-Shaking hood? Twenty minutes in the shop and it was fixed under warranty. Not a problem for me.
-Warped rotors? Like on my dad's truck? He paid over $40k for his truck (it is SWEET!) and had to have something done to the brakes already and it has less than 10k miles.

My point?? There are problems with EVERY car and car manufacturer. Get the stuff fixed and enjoy the car.

Oh, and I've ready plenty of posts about people who are "going to repaint their whole car" because of the crappy paint. Has anyone actually done it, or is it just a bunch of internet hot air? And not someone who got in an accident, I mean someone who just upped and had the thing painted from scratch.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:43 PM
IgS

I really like my car. It's not blind devotion... the engine is rock solid, it handles well (not like a porsche, but it's not supposed to be), it has plenty of room, came with very nice accessories and options. I would rate my "maxima experience" a 7 on a scale of 1-10 (10 is perfect). My volvo cross-country is an 8.5 on that same scale but it also cost $10k more so it's not a fair comparison.

-Paint chipping? Like on my friend's M5? He paid $80k for that and has about the same number of chips as me. It's the laws about no oil based paint that's doing that, not nissan.
-Rattles? Like my friend's SLK 320? He paid $50k for that and has a rattle so bad they're going to replace the whole dash... yes, THE WHOLE DASH.
-Shaking hood? Twenty minutes in the shop and it was fixed under warranty. Not a problem for me.
-Warped rotors? Like on my dad's truck? He paid over $40k for his truck (it is SWEET!) and had to have something done to the brakes already and it has less than 10k miles.

My point?? There are problems with EVERY car and car manufacturer. Get the stuff fixed and enjoy the car.

Oh, and I've ready plenty of posts about people who are "going to repaint their whole car" because of the crappy paint. Has anyone actually done it, or is it just a bunch of internet hot air? And not someone who got in an accident, I mean someone who just upped and had the thing painted from scratch.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:37 AM

Old 09-22-2003, 09:22 PM

No, I will not accept the flaws in my maxima as meeting industry standards. The maxima is a mature design and Nissan cannot be excused for failing to correct and manage their manufacutring and design problems by the '03 model year. Do you really believe that it would cost Nissan an additional $10,000 per maxima to address their problems with window regulators, MAF, brake rotors, window leaks, hood shake and rattles? You are also citing experiences spanning several cars and manufacturers. My single maxima sample has all these defects rolled in one! Your dealer experience sounds better than mine. My dealer acted like they didn't know what I was talking about regarding the hood shake.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:38 AM
It's chrome alright...

No, I will not accept the flaws in my maxima as meeting industry standards. The maxima is a mature design and Nissan cannot be excused for failing to correct and manage their manufacutring and design problems by the '03 model year. Do you really believe that it would cost Nissan an additional $10,000 per maxima to address their problems with window regulators, MAF, brake rotors, window leaks, hood shake and rattles? You are also citing experiences spanning several cars and manufacturers. My single maxima sample has all these defects rolled in one! Your dealer experience sounds better than mine. My dealer acted like they didn't know what I was talking about regarding the hood shake.
go to a different dealer. I take mine in and say "this is what's wrong and this is what needs to be done" and they say "let's schedule an appointment." That's it, no questions, no hassle.

And just for the record my friend's M5 has paint chips, his NAV cut out, his clutch went at 12k and again at 28k miles, one of his electric mirrors stopped working, and the seats are "leather-ette"...not 100% leather. I knew what I was getting when I spent $25k and he thought he was getting 10x better when he spent $80k.

I'm not defending nissan, I'm only saying car manufacturers are in this for the money and if WE, THE PEOPLE aren't going to force them to make a better product, they won't. I bought a honda in '91 and still know the owner...it's still running as well as it did on day 1. My '97 honda had zero problems for the 4 years I owned it...ZERO. I talked with a friend who ownsa 2003 honda and he's had problems with the tranny and excessive paint chips and it's not 4k miles old. The problem is each year we're accepting a lesser product so they next year they can make it "just a little worse" and get away with it. Eventually cars will come "some assembly required" and we'll have to sign the check to get them to drag the pieces to a service bay and put the car together.

Wow, I feel better
Old 09-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...My point?? There are problems with EVERY car and car manufacturer. Get the stuff fixed and enjoy the car.
I agree with this, but that is the problem. Nissan service SUCKS so bad, you cant just get it fixed. They fart around, give excuses and the whole experience is so crappy. THAT is what is causing me not to buy Nissan ANYTHING again.

If Nissan service would just admit, fix and be done with it instead of arguing so hard NOT to fix stuff, I think this would be a whole different ballgame.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by VQMAN
I used to really hate my 2k3...

I had a 1998 Maxima before it, and I couldn't stand the downgrade in quality and fit-n-finish.

I still think the fit and finish (exterior and interior peices coming together to make the car) are better with the 4th Gen.

I still think the overall quality is better on the 4th gen...

-vq
I agree with you on this one my m 97 is definately a better made car
the only problem I had so far was a $60. sensor, other than that it is still running strong. The quality on my 02 leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update. They are ordering me another HU. According to them, it will take anywhere between 2-6 weeks for it to come in. As for the dim SES, they weren't able to replicate it. Not a big deal. They checked for error codes and none came up. So as far as I am aware of, there is nothing wrong with the dim SES other than an annoyance in parking garages and at night. I didn't know the 2k2 had warped rotors, too. I thought the TSB was only for 2000-01 Maximas.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got my HU replaced yesterday afternoon. It came in two days instead of two weeks. So far so good. Looks like a new unit. Only bad thing is, it won't play my CD-RWs. My old unit would play them. But the sound is so much better with this HU.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:39 PM

Every car has problems. Just that Nissan's service isn't the best and they don't make a good effort to help us out. My dad has a E55 amg; 2001. It's been to the dealer so many times, they know him by his full name. I.E. The computer FAILED completely, and there was this device that stored the car's mileage. It resetted to ZERO, and when you drive the car, it won't keep track of the miles. A ton of rattles in the dash. They took it apart 5 times already. More computer problems in the car. When it pours down rain VERY hard, the roof leaks where the rear attena is. Car only has 22k miles on there too!

As for my maxima, it's been to the dealer so many times, i pratically leave it there and call a taxi to drop me home. My problems so far:
Leaking sun roof, rear windows seals replaced 3 times due to wind noise and they kept on deforming, two bose head units, rattles in the center dash, passenger side front door has hard time closing, tsb hesistation, 1 blown maf, wrapped rotors at 15k miles, A TON OF "CAN NOT DUPLICATE" problems. I actually counted the total times i've been to the dealer. I've owned the car ever since 7/2002 and i've been to the service department 35 times. Can anyone beat that?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:04 PM
vqman

-Paint chipping? ....... It's the laws about no oil based paint that's doing that, not nissan.
this may have been addressed...but did my 1998 Maxima, or my 1998 Sentra, or my wife's 2001 Pathfinder have "no oil base paint"?

because they did not chip like my 2k3 Maxima...

But I am just planning on getting the whole thing repainted in a few years anyway...but I don't think it's the whole oil base thing...

-vq