5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Aftermarket gauges......Oil Temp., Oil Pressure..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 08:12 PM

Aftermarket gauges......Oil Temp., Oil Pressure..........

What is the advantage of having other gauges. Like I know that some cars come with voltmeter and oil pressure. I was just wondering what would be the advantage of knowing the oil pressure, oil temperature and volts. Also would it be more necessary for a boosted car, or is it just something that (for lack of a better term) 'ricers' do.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bulldawg
What is the advantage of having other gauges. Like I know that some cars come with voltmeter and oil pressure. I was just wondering what would be the advantage of knowing the oil pressure, oil temperature and volts. Also would it be more necessary for a boosted car, or is it just something that (for lack of a better term) 'ricers' do.

Anyone........ .......anyone.......
Old 09-22-2003, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bulldawg
Anyone........ .......anyone.......

i know someone has to know
Old 09-22-2003, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been thinking about that also, I would like to know what the oil & auto tranny temps are and the oil pressure too. The only place I can think of to use is the guage pod but that really looks "ricey" to me. Good question, I hope people have some ideas.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by kcowden
I've been thinking about that also, I would like to know what the oil & auto tranny temps are and the oil pressure too. The only place I can think of to use is the guage pod but that really looks "ricey" to me. Good question, I hope people have some ideas.

Yea I wish some knowledgable person would look in here because I would really like to know the answers to the question. Because I was going to get the oil pressure and voltmeter guages......but if it doesn't really serve a purpose then what's the point. Also I don't even know what a "good" oil pressure is for our cars. If I do decide to get them it won't be on an A-pillar gauge pod, I would probably make my own custom one out of fiberglass and mount it somewhere else.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:26 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

for an NA car, i would get oil pressure and water temp. its good to have aftermarket gauges, becuase the nissan gauge temp IIRC, is only a 3 position gauge. So, its off, in the middle, and then overheating. WHen i put aftermarket gauges in my SE-R, when i was road racing, the stock temp gauge was ALWAYS in the middle. MEanwhile, the aftermarket temp gauge ranged from 175-215. We are talking a 40 degree temp change, and the stock guage NEVER moved from the middle position..

Oil pressure gauge is good to have to that when you are low on oil, you dont have some stupid light go on.

I dont see a need for a voltmeter gauge, unless you have a big system in the car...

Old 09-22-2003, 09:15 PM

I'm not a mechanic but from what I remember a voltmeter is not all that useful. What is really needed is an ammeter which will tell you if the alternator and charging circuitry are working properly (battery is charging or being drained).

The 5th gens include a water temperature gauge (I assume all models) although not a very accurate one. A accurate gauge would probably be useful in very hot climates, especially if you frequently tow something. As an earlier poster noted, the accuracy of the built in gauge is not very good.

I don't have a clue about the benefits of an oil pressure gauge other than possible engine longevity. Hope this helps.