5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

'02+ Maxima ECU Cracked!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im going on jan 31
Old 01-15-2004, 01:12 PM

Dyno!!!

I got a chance to dyno with the TS ECu and Stillen Headers.....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=278346
Old 03-18-2004, 12:31 PM

hey guys, i hate to bump an old thread here, but im thinkin about gettin a 2K2 or 2K3 when my Accord V6 eventually dies.

i read this entire thread (at work ) and i was pretty much convinced that this ECU would work on the automatics, and even confirmed it on TS site here:

ECU Upgrade Available for :
- Infinit I35 2002-2003 More Info
- Altima 3.5 (only) 5Speed (only) More Info
- 2002-2003 Maxima 6 Speed and Automatic More Info

but then i went into the FAQ, and it says:

I have a X model. Will this ecu work?
Yes, we now cover all models of 350Z and G35, including Automatics. For 2002-2003 Maxima, only 6 speed is avaliable

can someone just give me a quick, definitive answer if this is definitley working on the autos? i might have missed it going thru the thread, sorry mods.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Yeah, old info/website, the autos are alive and thrashing.

Originally Posted by KCMC582
hey guys, i hate to bump an old thread here, but im thinkin about gettin a 2K2 or 2K3 when my Accord V6 eventually dies.

i read this entire thread (at work ) and i was pretty much convinced that this ECU would work on the automatics, and even confirmed it on TS site here:

ECU Upgrade Available for :
- Infinit I35 2002-2003 More Info
- Altima 3.5 (only) 5Speed (only) More Info
- 2002-2003 Maxima 6 Speed and Automatic More Info

but then i went into the FAQ, and it says:

I have a X model. Will this ecu work?
Yes, we now cover all models of 350Z and G35, including Automatics. For 2002-2003 Maxima, only 6 speed is avaliable

can someone just give me a quick, definitive answer if this is definitley working on the autos? i might have missed it going thru the thread, sorry mods.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:44 PM

great, thanks for the quick response Ice. hopefully i can join you guys in the upcoming months!

Old 03-18-2004, 12:58 PM

No, I think you got that backwards.

*I* hope I can join YOU lucky TechnoSquare ECU owners in the upcoming month or so.

Still working on my year.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Wat

I prototyped the automatic, and yes, it works very well
Old 03-19-2004, 09:02 AM

great, thats good to hear. i am really considering these cars over everything else out there, and from what SteVtec tells us all over there on v6p.net, the torque numbers you guys throw down make our hondas seem like nothing. i hope i can join your ranks soon with a nice NA beast
Old 03-19-2004, 09:07 AM

Another SteVTEC school of "area under the curve" graduate.

Welcome aboard~!

great, thats good to hear. i am really considering these cars over everything else out there, and from what SteVtec tells us all over there on v6p.net, the torque numbers you guys throw down make our hondas seem like nothing. i hope i can join your ranks soon with a nice NA beast
Old 03-19-2004, 01:23 PM

Well... I got back from the dyno today. I tuned the car with the TS ECU, and the "headers" program that they gave me was way off. The car dipped into the 9s on the A/F chart at 5600 RPMs. So after about 2 hours of dyno tuning, I got the car to stay at 13.5:1. I'm calling TS about this to find out what (if anything) they know about it.

As far as gains, it's hard to tell. They've adjusted everything to work with their settings. When I returned the car back to 13.5:1, the car runs better and purrs again under load/throttle. The timing is still off, which I can understand, because of the way they coded the program. I didn't show a peak HP gain, but the area under the curve, with the exception of one section that I'm gonna ask about, is definitely better.

I'm planning to discuss the results with them next week when I have the time.

As far as the "non-headers" package, E55AMG2's car also got dyno'd today. His (tuned) peak numbers weren't much different from before, but the area under the curve was +10 WHP in a good portion of the power band.

We didn't get printouts, but I do have a copy of the run files on my laptop (which we use to tune the cars with). I'll get the before/after files loaded into the DynoJet RunViewer and do a print-screen of it.

Both E55AMG2 and I are gonna contact TS this coming week. They've done a great job with the programs, but we want them to tweak them a little more. In my case, I ran into the same problem that a few other TS ECU users (with headers) have run into, in that the car is running extremely rich.

I'll get those pics up soon enough.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:39 PM

We need to get YOUR two dynos with Blu's, once he gets them tomorrow:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....05#post2810205
Old 03-19-2004, 04:25 PM

DynoRun Summary and Opinions (LONG!!!)

Ok. This is a never-ending saga, but here's what I know so far...

Before I installed the headers, I ran a dyno run with tuned settings. After I installed the headers, I reset the ECU, drove around for a week, then dyno'd again. During that dyno, I ran the first run with no tuning. After that first run, I proceeded to tune the car using the E-Manage. When I got to a final number, I posted the results online.

Now... I sent the ECU off to TS to be programmed. Upon receiving the ECU back from TS, I reset the ECU (duh) and drove around on it. I also cleared out the tuning maps in the E-Manage. Due to a problem with the car, it took me a while to get everything running again. Once it was running, I scheduled a dyno session, which was today.

Today when I started tuning, I ran the TS ECU with no E-Manage tuning. Once the A/F ratio dropped into the 9:1's at 5600 RPMs, I had the tech shut down the motor. I started tuning the ECU back to 13.5:1. Several runs later, I had the tuning back to 13.5:1.

Now, I took the run files home and loaded them up in my computer. I've compared the before and after dyno graphs. I've compared the untuned-headers vs. untuned-ecu-headers charts, as well as the tuned-headers vs. tuned-ecu-headers.

Click on the images for a much bigger version.

Here is the untuned comparison. No E-Manage tuning was used during these runs.
Run 29 was before the ECU.
Run 44 was after the ECU.

Here is the tuned comparison. Both runs were tuned using the Greddy E-Manage to achieve the optimum HP/TQ curve (not necessarily the peak number) possible.
Run 43 was before the ECU.
Run 53 was after the ECU.

As a humorous gesture of time, I had the dyno tech pull runs in each gear. This was to show some of us that it DOES matter which gear you are in. Here are the results of those runs:
Run 56 was in 2nd gear.
Run 55 was in 3rd gear.
Run 53 was in 4th gear.
Run 57 was in 5th gear.

As you can see, I learned a few things from this:
1) First off, the gear in which you dyno does make a difference. And now I have proof.
2) I sent a copy of the run files to TS for analysis. They don't know why I got different A/F ratios for the lower gears (2nd & 3rd) versus the higher gears (4th & 5th).
3) After to talking to TS twice today, alot of us are investigating the changes that headers make on our cars.

At this point, the source of the problem as to why we didn't make power is unknown. TS seems to think that something in the headers (or removal of the stock headers) is causing the ECU to make the A/F mixture rich. This could be because of the pre-cat removals, but no one knows yet.

But as of right now, I am not saying that the TS ECU was a waste. TS can only provide a decent product if the car is capable of handling such a product. If there is a design flaw in the motor somewhere, then no matter what TS (or anyone else - Stillen) does, no additional power will be made. In this particular instance, some of my sources are telling me that the problem with all these exhaust mods may have nothing to do with the companies that are making them, but with part of the motor design itself. I'll divulge more soon... but I'm still waiting on a few phone calls before I post any additional speculation.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve