5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Frankencar Intake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 06:56 AM

Frankencar Intake Issues

I'm nearly certain that I have installed everything correctly, but I am having performance issues. I am, however, quite the amateur in the arts of automotive mechanics, so it's highly likely that I've made a typical newbie error somewhere along the way...

Yes, I searched previous posts and tried various recommendations first.
Yes, I unhooked the battery for 1+ hours.
Yes, I attempted ECU reset method- I never got the SES light to flash.
Yes, I have checked my vacuum hoses connections- I suspect they are correct.

History: Installed with battery disconnected for less than 1 hour. Drove briefly with poor performance. Parked. Started car again. Drove much more smoothly. Throttle loss. Poor pull. Sounds good at high end, but pulls less than stock at this point. Unhooked batter for 1+ hours. Attempted ECU resetting without success. Test drove several times without satisfactory improvement. Contemplated suicide. Sought help here.

Newbie questions: Does the MAF have to be oriented vertically? I installed mine horizontally. And uuuuuh... there's like this hose thingy with no connection. That's suppose to be there right? Seriously, though, all three other vacuum hoses ARE connected to the midpipe, but there is a larger diameter hose coming from the lower engine compartment. I suspect it's a back pressure exhaust hose something 'er other... Do you think I could hang myself with 18 gauge speaker wire without suffering a slow death?
Old 09-27-2003, 07:04 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

if you are auto then you will find one one breather line coming from the tranny. dont plug that up. check to make sure all the clamps are tight and the couplers are tight as well. some people put their maf back on so the top was facing the firewall. i left mine facing upwards like it was stock. if there is no cel, then im guessing there is a small leak after the maf and it causing too much or not enough air to escape or go into the throttle body.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
if you are auto then you will find one one breather line coming from the tranny. dont plug that up. check to make sure all the clamps are tight and the couplers are tight as well. some people put their maf back on so the top was facing the firewall. i left mine facing upwards like it was stock. if there is no cel, then im guessing there is a small leak after the maf and it causing too much or not enough air to escape or go into the throttle body.
Thanks, I will definitely check these things. I drive a manual, but your description matches the lone hose beneath my hood. I am not experiencing any CEL's.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:18 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by FtNx
Thanks, I will definitely check these things. I drive a manual, but your description matches the lone hose beneath my hood. I am not experiencing any CEL's.
also, if you go from a stock air box to an open cone filter in hot weather, which i would say is 80 and up: you will notice a loss in low end power/response. one thing that can help is leaving the stock scoop in to direct cooler air towards the filter. just seperate it from the air box and bolt it back up. my car feel pretty crappy when its 85 or higher but when the cooler air sets in, its very responsive.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:38 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

also, if you go from a stock air box to an open cone filter in hot weather, which i would say is 80 and up: you will notice a loss in low end power/response. one thing that can help is leaving the stock scoop in to direct cooler air towards the filter. just seperate it from the air box and bolt it back up. my car feel pretty crappy when its 85 or higher but when the cooler air sets in, its very responsive.
That is totally false. Look at the airflow path of the stock scoop. It isn't even in the direct airflow path. This scoop uses the vacuum of the engine to help with airflow. Without the rest of the stock airbox in there, it is utterly useless. If you are that concerned with performance loss in hot weather, then I suggest using the stock setup during the summer and switching to the other during the cooler months...
Old 09-27-2003, 08:44 AM

So, should I just remove the scoop then? Gutters? Wassup?
Old 09-27-2003, 11:41 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
That is totally false. Look at the airflow path of the stock scoop. It isn't even in the direct airflow path. This scoop uses the vacuum of the engine to help with airflow. Without the rest of the stock airbox in there, it is utterly useless. If you are that concerned with performance loss in hot weather, then I suggest using the stock setup during the summer and switching to the other during the cooler months...
i guess thats why there are cooler temps going through the air temp sensor that i logged on my laptop using obd2 software. do what works for you and ill stick with what works for me. ive got enough evidence to convince myself that it does bring cooler air. of course there is a vacuum but it will still bring cooler air over the grill into the scoop and then ive attched a tubing from the end of the scoop leading underneath the filter.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:44 AM

...ive attched a tubing from the end of the scoop leading underneath the filter.
Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks...
Old 09-27-2003, 11:54 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks...
look on my homepage. i put up a pick of what im talking about for a member from a while back. im not sure what page, its on but towards the end. i dont currently use the same filter but you can get a general idea of what i did. im also in the process of making a heat shield similar to this
Old 09-27-2003, 03:00 PM

look on my homepage. i put up a pick of what im talking about for a member from a while back. im not sure what page, its on but towards the end. i dont currently use the same filter but you can get a general idea of what i did. im also in the process of making a heat shield similar to this
Thanks. Hey, what did you use to attach the tubing to the scoop? Just curious... Also, I've tightened everything up and it's running better (smoother), but I'm still having loss of power associated with the onset of the all mighty growl. It's not a sputtering loss of power, but a resistance in pull. I don't know what else to do. I guess I can leave my battery unhooked tonight, but I really doubt that's going to resolve anything...

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 09-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, I'm in Gainesville, FL and had a Frankencar intake on my 2K maxima (I no longer have that car, but could take a look at your setup). Mine worked really well. Let me know.

Thanks. Hey, what did you use to attach the tubing to the scoop? Just curious... Also, I've tightened everything up and it's running better (smoother), but I'm still having loss of power associated with the onset of the all mighty growl. It's not a sputtering loss of power, but a resistance in pull. I don't know what else to do. I guess I can leave my battery unhooked tonight, but I really doubt that's going to resolve anything...

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 09-27-2003, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by masterofyo
Hey, I'm in Gainesville, FL and had a Frankencar intake on my 2K maxima (I no longer have that car, but could take a look at your setup). Mine worked really well. Let me know.
That would be great. I really appreciate it. Is tomorrow okay? I figure I'll leave the battery disconnected tonight as a last ditch effort.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:08 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!
i picked it up from advance auto. its a heat resistant tubing that they used on carburated cars. one end is sort of squared and fits perfectly over the end of the stock scoop. costs like 4 bucks and was in a rectangular green and yellow box. it was in the cooling section.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:38 PM

Well, I thought I would check all my connections again... I wasn't even attempting to remove a vacuum line- only checking the integrity of the connection- and the attacment on the midpipe snapped off with ease. Maybe that was it all along.... Don't know. Anyway, I put the stock gear back on and plan to ship this damn troublesome thing back ASAP. Care to recommend a better product?