5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlights Re-done

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 04:50 PM

Headlights Re-done

hey org,
i just took pics of my headlights which got re-done.
MIKE from CLEARCORNERS.COM worked on them. Basically the housing was painted black , he put LED angel eyes on them and the clearance and signal lights were converted to LEDs. so i no longer have light bulbs on my clearance or turning signal they were PERMANTLY replace with LEDs which is coo cause they are known to out last the car. it looks coo at night and the turning is clear but turns orange when turned on. here are some day and night shots.

all the pics do not have the headlights on, the brightness is really nice.
it cost me a pretty penny but its well worth it. it tooks 2 weeks time because clearcorners.com is in cali and im in ny.
A BIG SHOUT OUT TO MIKE FROM CLEARCORNERS.COM
by the way the LEDs use 1/10th of the power that the bulbs used.
soon to come are custom taillights
Old 09-29-2003, 04:52 PM

Old 09-29-2003, 04:56 PM

Looks good...
Old 09-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Banned

looks cool, take some pics with just the angel eyes on. By the way are your LED angel eyes different than the ones other org members have (lightbox or not)? If you don't mind, how much did it cost?

Looks awesome, definately original.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:00 PM
IgS

Originally Posted by defconmax03
hey org,
he put LED angel eyes on them and the clearance and signal lights were converted to LEDs.
wait so can u just have the angel lights on or .... do they only go on with the main lights...plus how much did the whole thing costs cause that looks kick as$

-IgS
Old 09-29-2003, 05:05 PM

FINALLY! I've asked a couple ppl before abt putting an entire circular 'board' of LEDs into that clearance light housing but they all said it would be a PITA to do. That looks great! How much did that cost if you don't mind telling.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:09 PM

you can have only the angel eyes on, there is no light box at all, actually if you remove my headlight it looks oem.
i'll take pictures in about 30 mins showing the back. to really get a better look on how it looks click on the sites link

www.clearcorners.com/frankie

ok i hope your ready for this
800 bones.............OUCH
but its well worth it to me.
I dont know if he will reproduce this job, because it takes 2-3 weeks for the process but you can email him and ask.

when the headlights are on the rings get brighter because the light flows thru the clear tubes and amp everything up, but when evening time hits and theres slight sun and i have the eyes on it looks sick
Old 09-29-2003, 05:16 PM
I miss the .org!

Looks good. No offense, but damn $800?

What happens if the LEDs burn out on the corner and/or clearence lights? Yes, LEDs last a long time, but it happens...
Also you could've bought the Fiber Optic angel eye kit and just had it installed. I would look better, be brighter, easier to replace stuff, and you can change the color too...
Old 09-29-2003, 05:26 PM

OUCH is right..damn...$800. How much did they say it would be for LEDs in the tails?
Old 09-29-2003, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Looks good. No offense, but damn $800?

What happens if the LEDs burn out on the corner and/or clearence lights? Yes, LEDs last a long time, but it happens...
Also you could've bought the Fiber Optic angel eye kit and just had it installed. I would look better, be brighter, easier to replace stuff, and you can change the color too...

I know 800 is alot but if they do burn out , you send them back and he replaces them the most i would go with out a car is a week IF it happened and the changes colors is coo but not wat i wanted u know?

also i was wondering when is the next max meeting around my way (NY)
O yea he does convert the sidemarkers to LEDs ANYTHING into LEDs
thanks for the compliments the only con is the price
-DEFCON
Old 09-29-2003, 05:31 PM
I miss the .org!

Well if he'll fix it free, then that's cool. Still, the fiber optic kits just look much better IMO because the light output is more even and bright. Either way, looks good though!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Well if he'll fix it free, then that's cool. Still, the fiber optic kits just look much better IMO because the light output is more even and bright. Either way, looks good though!
the taillights are going to be much much much cheaper, about half the price of the headlights and about the fiber optics is there a pic of it never seen it b4 , i could always ask him to put those in if i feel its better
Old 09-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Pointy Elbows

Looks great! but that's pretty pricey.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Da Da Da Da Damn!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it looks great and as long as your happy with it then its worth every penny spent!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:21 PM

welcome to the club
LED thats bad ***...
I did all the stuff by myself...but whatever works
Old 09-29-2003, 09:11 PM

see you're from NY....

please do NOT let them get stolen anywhere... $800 + deductible for new headlights is not worth it at all!

I would love to do just the angel eye mod but North NJ scares the hell outta me...
Old 09-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Damn those headlights look GREAT!

-Steve
Old 09-29-2003, 10:38 PM

Those look real pimp man but be careful where you park your car around ny.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:55 PM
Horra!!

That looks so freakin hot dood. I wish it wasn't so expensive for such a cosmetic mod tho. but dayam, that looks sick as fyck.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:05 AM

It looks great, I LOVE IT. I would have mine done if I could afford but I'm just flat broke, lol. I think it's worth the money.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by defconmax03
the taillights are going to be much much much cheaper, about half the price of the headlights and about the fiber optics is there a pic of it never seen it b4 , i could always ask him to put those in if i feel its better
Nice, really impressed. I just spent about 20 minutes on their website, they do some real quality work. I just e-mailed them about doing my sidemarkers. Did you send them your taillights yet? Keep me updated.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:57 AM

man is HOT... i actually did mine myself... just the clearing and black housing... (no angel eyes)... but the edges of my headlight housing are messed up from where the silicon dried... how did he get it so clean? almost like stock??//
Old 09-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I just created an account.. I figure I would join in on the headlight discussion.

For those of you who dont know much about our company, we specialize on selling high-end LED and HID lighting for show, race, and extreme street car applications. Most of the cars we work on are sportscars, we do not offer too many products for sedans but we're slowly branching out with certain newer applications.

Frankie's definately a cool customer to do business with. Actually, he made contact with us a month or two ago because his lights were not sealing properly after he attempted to clear them himself. I agreed to tackle the project, further customizing his headlights with the LED treatment.

One thing about me, I hate "trend" in the automotive industry. No offense.. but words like "angel-eyes" and "altezza tail lights" and "lambo doors" make me ill. The rings we added on Frankie's headlights are "LED rings" -- plain and simple. Angel-eyes are what people typically call the CELIS rings found on newer BMW headlamps, those use fiberoptic to illuminate. The CELIS concept belongs to BMW and I prefer staying away from fiber-optic rings since more or less, its their design. We are the first company to use a ring of individual LEDs and this is our design.

We have a set of tail lights we are working on, still trying to make some final decisions on the design.. but we should have more progress soon.

Regarding price, we offer 20% off to customers who assist with the R&D of creating a new product. Frankie's lights needed quite a bit of repair as they were dinged up from the first time they were disassembled and modified. There are still a few details that need to be modified on his lights, but we were limited as to what we could do as his car is his daily driver -- so time was of the essense.

The conversion is very detailed and labor intensive. We had to make quite a few modifications to the inside of the assembly, plus all the LED boards we use are custom fabricated and built-to-spec. We use only the highest quality LEDs and do not run into problems with them "burning out" as they are all under-driven. All the lights we work on are properly disassembled and re-assembled, all using factory sealant (not silicone). Once converted, the finished product plugs in and from behind.. looks just like stock. The only difference is the way the light operates, the amount of current it consumes, and its beautiful appearance from the front.

For those of you wondering why we do not sell the headlights "as-is," this is because we do not specialize in injection molding. Anyone who has experience working with lights and plastics, has seen the poor quality headlights being offered in the aftermarket by companies (ahem, APC.. TYC). They use low-grade plastics and poorly chromed housings. Their projectors are just horrible. In most applications, we chose to use the OEM headlamp as its lighting pattern and build quality are pretty much top-notch. Creating a new headlight assembly would cost big bucks. Its basically not our market, we're too detail oriented for that.

Anyway, feel free to post any questions or comments.. I'll do my best to answer any questions you guys may have. Good to be on the forum.

- Mike / ClearCorners.Com
Old 09-30-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by old_s13
Hey guys, I just created an account.. I figure I would join in on the headlight discussion.

For those of you who dont know much about our company, we specialize on selling high-end LED and HID lighting for show, race, and extreme street car applications. Most of the cars we work on are sportscars, we do not offer too many products for sedans but we're slowly branching out with certain newer applications.

Frankie's definately a cool customer to do business with. Actually, he made contact with us a month or two ago because his lights were not sealing properly after he attempted to clear them himself. I agreed to tackle the project, further customizing his headlights with the LED treatment.

One thing about me, I hate "trend" in the automotive industry. No offense.. but words like "angel-eyes" and "altezza tail lights" and "lambo doors" make me ill. The rings we added on Frankie's headlights are "LED rings" -- plain and simple. Angel-eyes are what people typically call the CELIS rings found on newer BMW headlamps, those use fiberoptic to illuminate. The CELIS concept belongs to BMW and I prefer staying away from fiber-optic rings since more or less, its their design. We are the first company to use a ring of individual LEDs and this is our design.

We have a set of tail lights we are working on, still trying to make some final decisions on the design.. but we should have more progress soon.

Regarding price, we offer 20% off to customers who assist with the R&D of creating a new product. Frankie's lights needed quite a bit of repair as they were dinged up from the first time they were disassembled and modified. There are still a few details that need to be modified on his lights, but we were limited as to what we could do as his car is his daily driver -- so time was of the essense.

The conversion is very detailed and labor intensive. We had to make quite a few modifications to the inside of the assembly, plus all the LED boards we use are custom fabricated and built-to-spec. We use only the highest quality LEDs and do not run into problems with them "burning out" as they are all under-driven. All the lights we work on are properly disassembled and re-assembled, all using factory sealant (not silicone). Once converted, the finished product plugs in and from behind.. looks just like stock. The only difference is the way the light operates, the amount of current it consumes, and its beautiful appearance from the front.

For those of you wondering why we do not sell the headlights "as-is," this is because we do not specialize in injection molding. Anyone who has experience working with lights and plastics, has seen the poor quality headlights being offered in the aftermarket by companies (ahem, APC.. TYC). They use low-grade plastics and poorly chromed housings. Their projectors are just horrible. In most applications, we chose to use the OEM headlamp as its lighting pattern and build quality are pretty much top-notch. Creating a new headlight assembly would cost big bucks. Its basically not our market, we're too detail oriented for that.

Anyway, feel free to post any questions or comments.. I'll do my best to answer any questions you guys may have. Good to be on the forum.

- Mike / ClearCorners.Com
Mike,
I sent you an e-mail this morning. How much would it cost to do the front and rear side markers?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:10 PM

$800!.....

first off i dont like that they painted over the chrome part on the turnsignals....

i've blacked-out & cleared-out 4 set of maxima HID's & only charged $150....wow & alot of them complained $150 was alot until they saw finished results....