5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP!!! 03 Maxima Sputtering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 01:29 PM

HELP!!! 03 Maxima Sputtering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I was at a light and all of a sudden my 03 Maxima died on me. It started right back up but then I put it in gear and took off. Well I soon found out it wouldn't go past 2500 RPMS without hesitating. It did it the whole way home!!!!! I turned the car off, let it cool down and started it back up. The same thing happened. My car use to idol at about 600rpms but now its right at 1000rpms. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would really appreciate all the help from everyone. Thanks Maxima.Org members, I feel more comfortable here then talking to someone at my dealership!!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:30 PM
NT2SHBBY

simple prob...MAF died.....if you have aftermarket intake, take off, go back to stock, head to dealership...

if not, just head to dealership

Old 10-02-2003, 01:32 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
simple prob...MAF died.....if you have aftermarket intake, take off, go back to stock, head to dealership...

if not, just head to dealership
I do have an aftermarket intake on it. This sucks, now I have to figure out how to put the Stock Intake back on and get it to the dealer. Just when I thought the car was running great too!!! Appreciate the help!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:33 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by hct67
I do have an aftermarket intake on it. This sucks, now I have to figure out how to put the Stock Intake back on and get it to the dealer. Just when I thought the car was running great too!!! Appreciate the help!!!

not a prob...make sure they give you part #22680-AM600..

that MAF works GREAT with intakes...I have it on my 2k3 and I have 6000miles with Stillen intake w/ no issues and I redline EVERYDAY!

Old 10-02-2003, 01:38 PM

I Wonder?

not a prob...make sure they give you part #22680-AM600..

that MAF works GREAT with intakes...I have it on my 2k3 and I have 6000miles with Stillen intake w/ no issues and I redline EVERYDAY!

Well I have had this intake on for 13,000 miles with no problems at all and have read everyone have MAF problems. I just can't figure out when the hell is going on with all of Nissan's Maf's. Well I guess I will try to figure out how to put the Stock Intake back on. I took it off so damn fast as I was excited to put the Weapon R Intake on that I forget. Anyways, thanks alot NT2SHBBY.

Does Nismo make any kind of Intakes for the Maxima. I thought I read that they are the only aftermarket performance product covered by Nissan?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:40 PM
NT2SHBBY

Well I have had this intake on for 13,000 miles with no problems at all and have read everyone have MAF problems. I just can't figure out when the hell is going on with all of Nissan's Maf's. Well I guess I will try to figure out how to put the Stock Intake back on. I took it off so damn fast as I was excited to put the Weapon R Intake on that I forget. Anyways, thanks alot NT2SHBBY.

Does Nismo make any kind of Intakes for the Maxima. I thought I read that they are the only aftermarket performance product covered by Nissan?

Weapon-R intakes are bad bro.....they incorporate foam filters which can fragment into the MAF.....get a solid K&N intake like my Stillen or the Frankencar or the Injen...

Old 10-02-2003, 01:46 PM

I am

Weapon-R intakes are bad bro.....they incorporate foam filters which can fragment into the MAF.....get a solid K&N intake like my Stillen or the Frankencar or the Injen...
I am going to spend the money on a Stillen with a K&N filter. Heres the messed up part. I dissconnected the battery for about a half hour, reconnected it and started the car up. The SES light is on but the car Revs normally again. Why is that?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:48 PM
NT2SHBBY

I am going to spend the money on a Stillen with a K&N filter. Heres the messed up part. I dissconnected the battery for about a half hour, reconnected it and started the car up. The SES light is on but the car Revs normally again. Why is that?

all u need to do is give it heavy gas and ur gonna go into "limp" mode again.....do urself a favor, return it back to stock, go back to dealer and play stupid...let them replace it and don't reinstall that weapon-r

i am telling you, the weapon r foam is cheap and it will flake off into your MAF, which is what is killing it on your car

Old 10-02-2003, 01:58 PM

Thanks

all u need to do is give it heavy gas and ur gonna go into "limp" mode again.....do urself a favor, return it back to stock, go back to dealer and play stupid...let them replace it and don't reinstall that weapon-r

i am telling you, the weapon r foam is cheap and it will flake off into your MAF, which is what is killing it on your car
Thanks, Appreciate the help alot. Now all I have to do is get my tool box back from a neighbor. Damn they aren't home. Well I will get this done tonight and drive it to the dealer tomorrow and have them fix it. Can't anything go right with a Nissan?
Old 10-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i hope they'll cover under warranty- i know you sliced the wires of your sensors w/ that next level racing box
Old 10-02-2003, 02:45 PM

Just curious what maf # do you have now that is gone bad, i Have weapon r intake on my 2003 with the (am600)maf assembly, only 800 miles so foar no problems yet and iam WOT all day long.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:24 PM

I know

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
i hope they'll cover under warranty- i know you sliced the wires of your sensors w/ that next level racing box
I will just put the wires back together, tape them and then use the hose covering to cover it all. They shouldn't look at the wires, no reason too!!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:28 PM

I'll Look

Originally Posted by biggun
Just curious what maf # do you have now that is gone bad, i Have weapon r intake on my 2003 with the (am600)maf assembly, only 800 miles so foar no problems yet and iam WOT all day long.
I'll have to look when I put the Stock Intake back on to see what number it is!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:47 PM

I will just put the wires back together, tape them and then use the hose covering to cover it all. They shouldn't look at the wires, no reason too!!
Man you will be suprised at what some of those"worldly" techs will look at/do to get out of warranty work!
Old 10-02-2003, 04:04 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Man, after reading all of this on a constant basis is it really worth getting a CAI? Hmmmm
Old 10-02-2003, 04:05 PM

Ok, I was at a light and all of a sudden my 03 Maxima died on me. It started right back up but then I put it in gear and took off. Well I soon found out it wouldn't go past 2500 RPMS without hesitating. It did it the whole way home!!!!! I turned the car off, let it cool down and started it back up. The same thing happened. My car use to idol at about 600rpms but now its right at 1000rpms. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would really appreciate all the help from everyone. Thanks Maxima.Org members, I feel more comfortable here then talking to someone at my dealership!!
Definitely is the MAF, I know because mine did the same thing 2 days ago.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:23 PM

This Is Weird

Whats really weird about this is that I disconnected the battery for a few hours, did the ECU reset and well it idol's perfectly and no hesitation whatsover. Can someone please tell me if the MAF is blown, how can all this be working great again?
Old 10-02-2003, 06:24 PM

Picture

Does anyone have a complete picture of the Stock Air Intake Installed, I completly forget how it looks. If so could you post it here so I can print it out. much appreciated!!!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Banned

Look at My Homepage : www.cardomain.com/id/maxpat82
Not really the intake in all in it detail but it can help!!

Mine is a 2K1 but I think it's the same!!
Old 10-02-2003, 07:01 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by ViperPat
Look at My Homepage : www.cardomain.com/id/maxpat82
Not really the intake in all in it detail but it can help!!

Mine is a 2K1 but I think it's the same!!
Thanks, really appreciate it. Never thought I would be putting it back on!!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ok guys im taking my 02 max to the dealer tomorrow am and telling them im having hesitation and would like them to refer to the tsb regarding this issue.. im going to give them the thread i printed out. now, what do i do if they balk at my request and second, if they do perform the repair where to i find the maf p/n and the ecu number to make sure they actually did the work? any help would greatly be appreciated.. thanks
Old 10-03-2003, 04:01 PM

Intake Gone

Well,I took the Intake off today and put back on the Stock Intake, Also reset the ECU. I did everything imaginable to the Max, Redlined it and got it up to 125mph, ran like a dream. Well I am convinced that Air Intakes screw up the Maxima. Just can't figure out why it would have sputtered. Someone said on here that it was the MAF, but if it was it wouldn't start up and run great again if it was.