5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pros and Cons of starter Mods.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 08:34 AM

Pros and Cons of starter Mods.

Hey Guys,

I have a 2000 Sterling Mist GLE in Atlanta, GA. I've been reading for some time, and have done a semi-extensive search. I'm asking some routine mod questions, however, would like to see answers look at the "big picture".

From what I read, most of the beginning mods include exhaust and intake. Individually, they can be effective (5-10 HP gains). However, I believe the biggest gains are realized by modifying both the inflow and the outflow. If this is the case, can you all offer some insight on what may be the most bang for the buck?

I am considering adding intake, y-pipe, high flow cat, B-pipe, cat-back. What would be the gains of this entire set up on a 2K auto GLE. I realize it is a significant investment. What would be the gains of just adding part of this set up (i.e. intake, y-pipe, or intake y-pipe, cat-back). Basically, what offers the most HP gain per dollar.

Lastly, What is the LONG TERM effect of modifying the engine with considerable care. I want to keep my maxima as long as possible. I'm starting to wonder if modifying (other than aesthetic mods i.e tint, clears, 2k2 tails, etc), might be harmful for the long run in terms of value. For example, I've read that intake filters less debris..allowing more junk to be combusted, which could be hard on the engine. Extensive mods require engines to be rebuilt MUCH earlier.

Additionally, My good friend drives an 84 Monte Carlo CL with the upgraded V8. The only mod it has is stereo/satellite radio. This thing is PIMP, bone stock, and turns heads...very clean and has held it's value well (granted the max may not be such a collectors item).

Flame if you will, I'm sure this has been covered before. However, I haven't seen replies presented in a "big picture" format. Was very interested in opinions from others who have gone through this, and considered this, and what their end decision was.

TIA
Old 10-07-2003, 09:11 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

for a 2k, i would go with a rsb and y pipe first. if want you or have plans to lower and do struts then do that before the rsb. performance wise, y pipe should be first then an intake and udp. high flow cat wont yield much, maybe 2-3hp and a catback may yield around 5. my vote is do the suspension first, whichever way you are looking then y pipe, intake, b pipe then udp. this setup will give nice gains and will be considerably quieter than one with a complete catback. this of course is just my opinion and yours may differ along with others.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome, I've been her for a few months and had the same questions. If youhang out here long enough you'll find your answers and a lot of great information. You'll also find that we ALL have opinions and suggestions. Most of the questions cycle back through frequently. What you have to decide for yourelf is how you want your car set up, rice, stealth, loud, lowered, etc. I'm working on the stealth (can't let the wife find out) HP with a little sound and some minor exterior mods. Look at my profile to see what I've done already. My .02, good luck
Old 10-07-2003, 09:52 AM

i have a y-pipe, intake, FSTB, lowering springs, and i am about to get the illumina shocks that are suppose to be coming out in november. i like the sound of my y-pipe and intake but a b-pipe would be a nice add on. the very first thing that you need to decide without anybody elses help is if you are going for looks or performance. dont say both. I say do one and then the other. for instance rims or no rims. if you aer going for performance then you want rims that are light wieght and if you are going for style then the wieght does not matter. the mods you listed are very good and i recommend them but also think of stereo and interior mods. i have got so many compliments on my indiglo door sills but no one says anything positive about how hard my car rides b/c of the eibach springs. it is all relative and deals with who u are trying to please. bling is for everyone else while i think performance pleases me more than anything. With the big picture thing i think if you get the right intake you will not have to worry about that much debris in your engine and if u get the right exhaust set up you wont have to worry about exhuast leaks and warping of your heads. if you want to play it safe just do suspension mods. but I wish i would of bought the fstb and the rsb before anything else. i am still feaning for a rsb.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:29 AM

Thanks

Thanks all.

Good advise. My major complaint of the 2K GLE is the ride, I have read multiple times that a RSB makes a big difference.

I am tentatively planning on performing some "minor" performance modifications and "minor" exterior mods. To answer the question directly, I would put priority on exterior mods. However, I will still keep the look very clean and stock. I am interested in 2K2 tails, tint (metal tint), AE Door Sills. I also would like to paint the calipers silver. The future MAY involved 17 inch wheels.

Performance wise, Y-pipe and intake. and antiway bars.

I think I can get all of this done (excluding 17" wheels/tires) for:

2k2 tails: $220
AE Sills: $50
Painted Calipers $55
Y-Pipe: $350
Intake: $150 (frankercar?)
Tint: $260 (still exploring)

Think that is a great start and should finish most of my wants/needs with a great look and slight performance gains for just over $1K.
Future may include clear corners, lowering kit, 17 or 18 stock wheels.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:15 AM

i think that you should get the indiglo door sill, change the interior bulbs and the exterior bulbs and get a new grill. this will add about $200 extra. I think that the 2k2 tails are not worth it. If you are mechanically inclined you may want to get some 01 SE lights and customize them with all red or something like that . to be original is great. I know that is hard with our limited supply of stuff but you have to try.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Atl_2K_GLE
Thanks all.
d
I think I can get all of this done (excluding 17" wheels/tires) for:

2k2 tails: $220
AE Sills: $50
Painted Calipers $55
Y-Pipe: $350
Intake: $150 (frankercar?)
Tint: $260 (still exploring)

Think that is a great start and should finish most of my wants/needs with a great look and slight performance gains for just over $1K.
Future may include clear corners, lowering kit, 17 or 18 stock wheels.
I wouldn't get the 2k2 tails bro...
save hte money and get suspension...
i am sure there is someone that would take tails with you...but i dunno
get suspension...its well worth it