5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Haha Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 03:02 PM

Haha Ignition Coils

Well yes my ignition coils went just like everyone else. So I ordered up some from DaveB...everything was going fine until the back right cylinder. Anyone who has changed their spark plugs on their own knows that is probably the most annoying thing to do. Well I was tighting the bolt that holds down the coil and next thing i know snaap..the head breaks off. It wasn't even tight yet but fairly deep into the threads. So I'm ****ed and thowing tools all over the place and a shop looks at it and says. Well we can try to weld a head on there to get it out but we are going to have to take some stuff out and bla bla if it works like that =$200+ I laugh and say absolutly not man. So basically my only option now is to do that...replace the whole thing or buy a piece of flexable sheet metal and try to fabricate somethign to put pressure down on the coil to keep it in and bolt it to the multiple bolts in that area. I'm so ****ed right Now I'm laughing. I loved this car until this all started happening. I've had to deal with the P0420 and now this ignition problem. My 1989 acura legend ran like a dream and a 2000 maxima can't its a joke. I'll never buy a maxima again. Just though I should let you know of what happend. By the way to all those who say i was bending the bolt, I wasn't at all. The fact of the matter is this should be nissan's slogan EXPENSIVE PARTS=CHEAPLY MADE CAR

z
Old 10-10-2003, 03:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Or someone that doesn't know how to really work on cars, or a faulty bolt etc.....

Why don't you EZ Out the broken bolt?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:25 PM

well considering i've done all the work myself on the car (springs,struts,intake,and more) myself I woudln't say I couldn't handle swapping out coils. EZ out what is that?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

Considering you don't know what an EZ out is. Reverse drill bit designed to extract broken bolts

Originally Posted by zman187
well considering i've done all the work myself on the car (springs,struts,intake,and more) myself I woudln't say I couldn't handle swapping out coils. EZ out what is that?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:55 PM

I didnt' know what it is I do have that not sure if i'm doing it yet and whats the diffrence anways if i know the name I didn't need comments on how I didn't know how to do something..whats the point. People are so quick on this board to make others feel stupid. Its becoming worthless to even talk with others about stuff cause all you get is negative feed back. as a moderator you should be the one giving posititve feedback not participating in what people don't need to hear

z
Old 10-10-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

I take offense to people blaming equipment and it's build quality when it could very well be the operator.

Please correct me but you started in with the neg feedback first correct? I was defending a car that couldn't defend itself.

I didnt' know what it is I do have that not sure if i'm doing it yet and whats the diffrence anways if i know the name I didn't need comments on how I didn't know how to do something..whats the point. People are so quick on this board to make others feel stupid. Its becoming worthless to even talk with others about stuff cause all you get is negative feed back. as a moderator you should be the one giving posititve feedback not participating in what people don't need to hear

z
Old 10-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Basically, EZ out's a way to drill into the bolt and get enough force on it to remove it with a drill.
Solves all the hassle of welding on a freaking head. Surprised the damned mechanic didn't suggest it...
Old 10-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I dont think that because the head of the bolt broke off necessarily makes the Max a horrible car. Granted, the Max has its issues, but you'll find that most of the org member's love the Max...me included.

If you don't like the car, then look for something else. You shouldn't keep a car that your not happy with.

And yes, you can drill into the bolt to remove it...
Old 10-10-2003, 07:32 PM

I used to love the max and still love driving it but when the SES light comes on every 3 months there are serious issues with the car.. didnt mean to be a *** its been a rough day and I'm sick of dealing with this car every few months I think anyone on here would agree with me on that....i apologize if I offended anyone

z
Old 10-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I used to love the max and still love driving it but when the SES light comes on every 3 months there are serious issues with the car.. didnt mean to be a *** its been a rough day and I'm sick of dealing with this car every few months I think anyone on here would agree with me on that....i apologize if I offended anyone

z

No prob man. And I do understand how you feel. If my Max gave me a lot of problems, I probably wouldn't keep it. There are plenty of other cars out there. I've been lucky with my Max though...no probs other than some annoying pinging.

Good luck
Old 10-23-2003, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cdriven
No prob man. And I do understand how you feel. If my Max gave me a lot of problems, I probably wouldn't keep it. There are plenty of other cars out there. I've been lucky with my Max though...no probs other than some annoying pinging.

Good luck
If you haven't already, sign the petition to get the coils recalled:

Click here to sign:

http://www.petitiononline.com/NIS_IGN/petition.html

Thanks,

ohcello