5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

windshield tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 06:29 AM

windshield tint

there is a company here in pa tinting front windshields! what do you guys think this looks like? i got a 2k sterling mist with tint,thinkin on doing the windshield. the company states its very mild but drastically cuts down on the heat in the car
Old 10-13-2003, 06:36 AM
NT2SHBBY

I wanna tint my windshield, but am hesistant due to cops.......tinted windshields are quite noticable

Old 10-13-2003, 07:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think someone here has their front windsheild polarized. if its anything like polarized glasses, i would love to do that and see some more pics.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ornery1
there is a company here in pa tinting front windshields! what do you guys think this looks like? i got a 2k sterling mist with tint,thinkin on doing the windshield. the company states its very mild but drastically cuts down on the heat in the car
I woudn't do it. While I've seen it done, and it doesnt look bad, down here its a $46 ticket, and the cops may go as far as demand you remove it on the spot!
If someone does do it, post some pics, I'd love to see it on a maxima
Old 10-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by redstradic
i think someone here has their front windsheild polarized. if its anything like polarized glasses, i would love to do that and see some more pics.
I inquired about this in the past, basically the polarized film is 99.95-99.99% clear.

I'm sure there are tinted versions of it out there, but then that would make it illegal in most states.

*sigh* how i miss having 5% tint all around.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:21 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by soundmike
I inquired about this in the past, basically the polarized film is 99.95-99.99% clear.

I'm sure there are tinted versions of it out there, but then that would make it illegal in most states.

*sigh* how i miss having 5% tint all around.
5% INCLUDING windshield?? wholy shiet.....thats dark bro...how did u see out at night???

I seen a new aurora over here bout a year ago with 5% including windshield....i couldn't see his inspection sticker

Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
5% INCLUDING windshield?? wholy shiet.....thats dark bro...how did u see out at night???
It gets hard on dark country roads, but back home having 5% tint was so common for city-dwellers, nobody really thought about visibility issues (force of habit i guess).
Old 10-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i would think a tinted front windshield would suck at night!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:39 AM
It's chrome alright...

don't get a windshield 'polarized' if you wear polarized sunglasses... it'd suck if they were out of phaze

Old 10-13-2003, 10:55 AM
JET Speed Lab

where in PA and how much is it? i might do it next time im around there
Old 10-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I've seen BLACK tint on the front windshield of a riced out Chrysler Sebring and it looked OBVIOUS. I wouldn't use black tint unless you like getting pulled over quite a bit. Not to mention the fact that it decreases your visability ESPECIALLY at night.

However, my friend got his 350z recently tinted with the same METALIC tint I have. He got the rears all done extremely dark, the front drivers/passenger window legal, and the front windshield done VERY very lightly. I barely noticed the shade difference between the legal front and super dark rears due to the metalic "shine" and I couldn't even tell the front was done until he was washing his car and I got up close.

Honestly, a cop would NEVER be able to tell the front was done UNLESS he already has you pulled over and decides to write you up for all kinds of little ****.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:58 AM

I have my front winshield tinted on my 2k but it is hard to find ppl to do it. mine is done with llumar 35% on the whole front b/c he wouldnt go any darker.it might cost you anywhere from 100-250 cash money for them to do it, acutally any tinting place will do it for the right price.its is kinda harder to see at night, makes you wanna turn on ur bright lights when you dont really need them.i'll try t oget a pic up this week sometime.any ?'s pm me.There is alot of places in TN that will tint them.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:37 PM

I have my front tinted 20% (black) and all the rest 5% (titanium mirror). At first, I was worried about night driving, but I decided to tint my front anyways since I have HIDs. I can't imagine tinting the front any darker than 20% (or even tinting the front at all) for those people who don't have HIDs.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:05 PM

Did tinting the front windshield really help cut down on the headlight glare of on-coming traffic?

I know the glare from my side mirrors was a NIGHT/DAY difference once I added tint. I do a lot of night-time hwy travel and man oncoming headlights really start to "burn" after awhile.

Originally Posted by pimpjuice
I have my front tinted 20% (black) and all the rest 5% (titanium mirror). At first, I was worried about night driving, but I decided to tint my front anyways since I have HIDs. I can't imagine tinting the front any darker than 20% (or even tinting the front at all) for those people who don't have HIDs.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:10 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Did tinting the front windshield really help cut down on the headlight glare of on-coming traffic?

I know the glare from my side mirrors was a NIGHT/DAY difference once I added tint. I do a lot of night-time hwy travel and man oncoming headlights really start to "burn" after awhile.
You added tint to the side mirrors? How much did that cost you? I've been wanting to do this for a while.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:23 PM

Sorry...that was misleading. No, I didn't add it to the side mirrors. The window tint on the driver/passenger window made the BIG difference. The auto-dimming rear view mirror takes care of glare AWESOME, but the side mirrors would still blind me. Once I added the tint, no more need. At least when the windows are up.

My friends GS400 has auto dimming SIDE mirrors I believe. Once he added tint to the windows, I think it's over kill though.

You added tint to the side mirrors? How much did that cost you? I've been wanting to do this for a while.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Very sound, Mike

Ah ok

Though i'm still interested in doing something like this... do you think it's illegal to do so? I can't seem to find any reference to it online.

Of course the best option would be to have that blue tinted/dimming mirror that i see on a lot of Jetta's and Benz's... that could get pricey though.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1

It helped a whole lot. My car is real low, so all the light from trucks, and even normal hight cars would hit me right in the eyes. Now it doesn't even phase me. It also cuts down on the interior heat when my car sits in the sun all day long.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:08 PM
It's chrome alright...

Ah ok

Though i'm still interested in doing something like this... do you think it's illegal to do so?
are you kidding?

http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

it's illegal in nearly every state. Some states allow a tint strip across the top, most allow nothing. A few are undefined but not many.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:49 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
are you kidding?

http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

it's illegal in nearly every state. Some states allow a tint strip across the top, most allow nothing. A few are undefined but not many.
No, No, No... i'm talking about the side mirrors
Old 10-13-2003, 06:37 PM
It's chrome alright...

oh... my bad... sorry.

I've never read anything about tinting the mirrors. I can't see why it'd be illegal, or even how a cop would notice if it was done.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:34 PM

I've got 5% all around and 20% on the windshield. Or I should say I had That set up till a dikk head state trooper was sitting at an off ramp. He wanted to right me 3 tickets for my tint. But I wound up only getting one but had to rip tint off to get out of other two tickets. I never really got stopped normally because if I roll up next to a cop I'll roll my windows down just so he can't see the front tint and also just so he can see who's in the car. It's just that one time where he caught me slipping but he was a real a$$hole. Night time driving wasn't too bad seeing out of, but would not recommend driving in rural areas where there are no street lights to light things up. You find yourself mainly looking for headlights. Check out my homepage for pics.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:09 AM
† ErV †

do it i did mines on my previous max before i got the actual windows tinted as headlight glare was a murder. its quite cool actually.

windshield though.. erm.. pics anyone ?

Old 10-14-2003, 04:49 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by thomasd cook
I've got 5% all around and 20% on the windshield. Or I should say I had That set up till a dikk head state trooper was sitting at an off ramp. He wanted to right me 3 tickets for my tint. But I wound up only getting one but had to rip tint off to get out of other two tickets.
here we go again... *he* was a dikkhead because *YOU* broke the law???
Old 10-14-2003, 05:20 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
do it i did mines on my previous max before i got the actual windows tinted as headlight glare was a murder. its quite cool actually.

windshield though.. erm.. pics anyone ?
You wouldn't happen to have photo's of it would you?
Old 10-14-2003, 07:50 AM

No he was a dikkhead because a piece of tint accidentally fell on the ground and he told me pick it up or get a ticket for littering. He also tried to tell me that HID's are illegal on Maxima's and the only car it's legal on is the Lexus. It's all good now. Ticket got fixed, didn't cost a dime. And I already re-tinted it myself but next time I'll floor and let him try and get in his car and catch me. No more easy target.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:54 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by thomasd cook
And I already re-tinted it myself but next time I'll floor and let him try and get in his car and catch me. No more easy target.

gee, that's some mentality, I tell ya....believe you me, not only will he give chase, he'll radio ahead for a road block or tire strips and then not only do u get a bullshiet ticket for ur tint and whatever the inital reason for the traffic stop was, but NOW you also get resisting arrest, evading police, and whatever else trumped up charge he can give you...

never run, even if u know u did wrong, just makes shiet worse

Old 10-14-2003, 08:45 AM

There is a legal loop hole for tinting beyond 35% and doing the windsheld to a reasonable level.

If you can get a Dermatologist to write a letter to the court that it is nessesary for medical reasons. People that have had skin cancer or have other problems with sun light can get this real easy, others may need to do some talking to the Doc but it is posible. Depends on the Doc I guess.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:52 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by maximaman777
There is a legal loop hole for tinting beyond 35% and doing the windsheld to a reasonable level.

If you can get a Dermatologist to write a letter to the court that it is nessesary for medical reasons. People that have had skin cancer or have other problems with sun light can get this real easy, others may need to do some talking to the Doc but it is posible. Depends on the Doc I guess.

there is also legal usage of marijuana (medicinal), but good luck tryin to convince the cop that its for your glaucoma(sp?) or arthritis..

Old 10-14-2003, 09:11 AM

35% tint is ok; but anything below 20% you're just asking for trouble. I had 18% on my front windshield. Driving at night one day with rain pouring down. IT SUCKS. Especially if the road is not well lit or if you're the only car driving. Ended up taking the 18% off and putting 35% on the windshield, which you can't even tell too much. It does reject A LOT of heat with 35%. I dont recommend 20%.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:23 PM

if someone good does the front a cop cant even tell if it has been tinted if all your others ones are.just say i didnt even know that it was.hmm must of been that way when you got it.In tennessee a cop cant give u a tint ticket unless you have done something else wrong(speeding,redlight,etc.).but i love mine....well worth the 150 i paid for it but we have like one of the top ten tinters in the nation in my town.CAnt even tell where the tint starts or ends