5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replaced air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 08:31 AM

Replaced air filter

Over the weekend I picked up a replacement air filter from the dealer. I removed the old one (factory one with 5,400 miles on it). I noticed that it was different from the replacement. The original had red pleated paper and a slight oil film on it (for better filtration--similar to K & N filters). The replacement has white pleated paper, but I didn't notice any oil film on it. What gives?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe Nissan thinks the oil really does cause MAF problems.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:44 AM

that's very possible...but I'll stick with the Nissan filter I picked up just in case there's a warranty issue. Thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 08:47 AM

how much was it? I need to get a new filter, im hitting 9000 on the factory one...... =)
Old 10-20-2003, 08:49 AM

very reasonable -- $8.59 -- about the same price as a Purolator filter.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Very sound, Mike

I got a replacement filter for my Max from Autozone at the 15k mile mark. I've had it for about 18k miles now and so far so good.

Though i don't think it filters better than the OEM oiled one - at 15k the original filter was already very dirty.

On the replacement, it looks almost as clean as the day i bought it. Though when i tap it on the floor there's tons of dirt coming off of it.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:05 AM

I agree, the oiled filter is a bit over-rated and if you get that oil on your MAF sensor, it's going to cause some problems.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:45 AM

thanks, will check out autozone for more info
Old 10-20-2003, 11:34 AM

I replaced my filter at about 17000 miles with a nissan filter. I also was concerned about the color difference. But the white media in my new filter was definitely oiled... infact it looked very oily. Did you touch it to see if it came off on your fingers?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:38 AM

Todd, if it did, it was definitely minimal...the factory one definitely had more oil on it. Perhaps Nissan did realize the problem and decided not to over-oil the new "white" colored filter.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by soundmike
I got a replacement filter for my Max from Autozone at the 15k mile mark. I've had it for about 18k miles now and so far so good.

Though i don't think it filters better than the OEM oiled one - at 15k the original filter was already very dirty.

On the replacement, it looks almost as clean as the day i bought it. Though when i tap it on the floor there's tons of dirt coming off of it.
Back in April, I had a MAF sensor failure (code P0100). I had been using Fram filters and the last filter I installed was a Purloator. The dealer would not honor the 5/50 emission warranty, stating that because I was using aftermarket elements, dirt had gotten past and ruined the sensor. I live in a area with a lot of new construction and they throw dirt, sand and gravel on the mountain roads around here in winter. So it's very dusty. I argued with the dealer, taking that position that they make such a policy about aftermarket filters because of people who go a little heavy on the oil with their K&N's. In comparing the Purolator to the OEM I see no difference in size. Nevertheless, the OEM filter is competitively priced with the ones I had been buying (within a buck or two). So, having learned my lesson, I'm sticking with the OEM. I've kept the Purolator filter and have been meaning to write them a letter and giving them a copy of my work order and see what they have to say.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Stev02

I replaced my factory AF a couple months ago. I bought the red pleated one and it's running fine.

Old 10-20-2003, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by bikesdp
Back in April, I had a MAF sensor failure (code P0100). I had been using Fram filters and the last filter I installed was a Purloator. The dealer would not honor the 5/50 emission warranty, stating that because I was using aftermarket elements, dirt had gotten past and ruined the sensor. I live in a area with a lot of new construction and they throw dirt, sand and gravel on the mountain roads around here in winter. So it's very dusty. I argued with the dealer, taking that position that they make such a policy about aftermarket filters because of people who go a little heavy on the oil with their K&N's. In comparing the Purolator to the OEM I see no difference in size. Nevertheless, the OEM filter is competitively priced with the ones I had been buying (within a buck or two). So, having learned my lesson, I'm sticking with the OEM. I've kept the Purolator filter and have been meaning to write them a letter and giving them a copy of my work order and see what they have to say.

check out this link Its Nissan actuallly selling K&N filters. and it specificallly states this filter will not void your warrenty.

http://www.nissanparts.cc/catalog/?section=172
Old 10-20-2003, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod37
check out this link Its Nissan actuallly selling K&N filters. and it specificallly states this filter will not void your warrenty.

http://www.nissanparts.cc/catalog/?section=172

as do BMW dealerships.....I used to frequent unofficialbmw.com when I had my 328is. There was a TON of controversy regarding their benefit (or lack thereof). Many claimed they gummed up their intake tract. Maybe they overoiled them... who knows. BUT the dealership sells them as drop-in replacements and they will not void BMW's warranty.