5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

15K Service 230 bucks??? Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 03:31 PM
wideload

Hey.. this seems steep.. they want normally 230 (ok I'm getting it for about 190 with 10% discount and the free oil change removed). I just rotated the tires at 10K (the guy (not my usual guy)) said I was late that this would get me on track... yada yada yada...) It needs to sit with them over night and I will get a rental... but this seems out of line for what appears to me to be just an oil change, adjustment and inspection run. They got 80 bucks for the last deal.

This is with Rosenthal Nissan in Tyson's Corner VA... but I saw on other postings this for about this same amount. Am I just being to cheap or is this a rip off?

I'm to take it in tomorrow... so if anybody has suggestions I'm open.

Thanks for your time

WL

Old 02-19-2001, 03:53 PM
Got Bent?

$230 for an oil change and tire rotation? That is robbery. Ask around and get a better price. Better yet, tell the dealer to do only the tire rotation and oil change. If not, then I am sure any competent mechanic can handle those two items.
Old 02-19-2001, 04:55 PM

I declined my 15K. You can get your tires rotated for free at discount tires. The rest is just an oil change and inspection. They're supposed to inspect the car anyways with each oil change (at least that what the sign says)
Old 02-19-2001, 10:58 PM
maxima2000

i did mine 15k service

i wanted to decline it but the service advisor told me if i didn't do these check up, it will void my warrranty.(whatever!) so i did that.
there are a lot of things they will do, u should got the list from them.(like check wired, hose, battery, lots of things, of course rotate tires and oil change!)
^^!

Old 02-20-2001, 05:33 AM

WARNING!!!!!!!!dealer mechanics and employees are all thieves disguised as normal people after your hard earn dough. Man try avoiding the dealer as much as possible. These guys will tell u anything to rip u off. I mean they charge like 40 bucks for tire rotation. Let me break it down:

$40 rotation
40 balancing (about $10-15ea)
80-100 ft end check
40-60 looking under the hood.

All these services u get free anywhere else or better deal. Just a little insight. Watch your pockets!!!!!!hehe
Also, in terms of warranty being voided thta's bs. Unless actual work is due in the mileage interval. These are just few of the scams they pull.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by wideload
Hey.. this seems steep.. they want normally 230 (ok I'm getting it for about 190 with 10% discount and the free oil change removed). I just rotated the tires at 10K (the guy (not my usual guy)) said I was late that this would get me on track... yada yada yada...) It needs to sit with them over night and I will get a rental... but this seems out of line for what appears to me to be just an oil change, adjustment and inspection run. They got 80 bucks for the last deal.

This is with Rosenthal Nissan in Tyson's Corner VA... but I saw on other postings this for about this same amount. Am I just being to cheap or is this a rip off?

I'm to take it in tomorrow... so if anybody has suggestions I'm open.

Thanks for your time
Give me a break. This is highway robery. Have you ever heard of a wall job. That's where the dealer parks your car by the wall, does nothing and charges you big $$. I owned a new 89 Maxima for 11 years and only took it to the dealer twice. Once for a warrantee repair and once to diagnos a faulty window switch, which I replaced.
You should go to any tire dealer and they will usually rotate your tires for free. Do the oil changes and air filter changes yourself. That's it. You can inspect fluid levels. On the 2k models there isn't even a fuel filter to change! $230 plus a rental, wake up buddy. They are stealing from you. Hell I'll let you drive my car for 2 hours and do the work for $75!

Hope this helps, as you can tell I hate dealers.
WL
Old 02-20-2001, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Actually, that seems about right, if you go to a dealer. Most of this is labor charges (mine was about $219). It might vary by region---I live in the SF Bay Area, where everything costs more. Having lived in the Washington DC area, I would expect costs to be pretty similar for services.

Independent garages may charge you less, though.
Old 02-20-2001, 05:42 PM

Re: i did mine 15k service

Originally posted by maxima2000
i wanted to decline it but the service advisor told me if i didn't do these check up, it will void my warrranty.(whatever!) so i did that.
there are a lot of things they will do, u should got the list from them.(like check wired, hose, battery, lots of things, of course rotate tires and oil change!)
^^!
That's a lie. They cannot terminate your warranty because of that.

I'd find out the regulatory agency in your state and report them.
Old 02-20-2001, 09:42 PM

I hope

this is the 1st car some of you guys have owned, because noway someone on their righ mind ( who knows anything about cars ) will let the dealer charge them this much for an oil change and tire rotation.

oil change $20-30 @ your local Lube place
tire rotation Free at America's tire/Discount tire

any other "Check" this and that... any dealer will be more than happy to check it for free even when you don't ask for it, that's how they make money.... by finding stuff to fix.

Unless you have money to burn. a good rule of thumb is

Pay only for things that say "REPLACE" or "ADJUST" on your owners manual. anything else should not cost you an arm and a leg.

Nuff' said.
Old 02-20-2001, 10:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The 7.5 k and 15k are the same service. My dealer in CA asked for $150. I declined and got the work done for less elsewhere. Warranty will remain intact just keep your records of the oil changes.
y
Old 02-21-2001, 06:28 AM
Selysel

Hey I just got my 15k service done at Mike Pallone Nissan in Springfield yesterday. They charged $199 but you get a free car wash. Stick with the dealers if they mess something up they are responsible. It would be a lot harder trying to prove another place messing your car up. With this dealer if you do most of your services through them they start to discount your prices your charged. Little known fact.

Old 02-21-2001, 09:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Two things...

1. Those of you that are referring to warrenty violations if you do not do your service checkups with your dealer. Are you under leases??? Leases have different stipulations and although your warrenty may not actually be voided, you may find an unusually high set of fees when you return your car at the end of the lease if you did not stick to the maintenance schedule during your lease.

2. Check out this thread if you're looking for good service in No. VA.

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...threadid=24733

Old 02-21-2001, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Selysel
Hey I just got my 15k service done at Mike Pallone Nissan in Springfield yesterday. They charged $199 but you get a free car wash. Stick with the dealers if they mess something up they are responsible. It would be a lot harder trying to prove another place messing your car up. With this dealer if you do most of your services through them they start to discount your prices your charged. Little known fact.

hmmm... I've got this bridge for sale... really cheap, hardly used... j/k

My dealer discounted my service from day one since I bought the car from them. But when they're charging you 2 to 3 times the fair market value for a service, they have plenty of room to discount the price and still rip you off!

There are some services I won't let anyone but the dealer do, and I often get my oil done there if I have the time (since it's only $16 with a coupon). But everytime I go in for an oil change, there's some new maintenance that "the computer" says I need. <B>Those 7.5k, 10k, 12k, 13k, 15k, 20k, 22.5k, 22.55k, 22.56k, 30k service packages are a complete and total rip off.</b>

Follow the maintenance schedule in the car, and ignore what the service advisor tells you. Some of them are almost as sleazy as the car salespeople are. Don't get me wrong: I like my service advisor -- he's a nice guy and has gotten me some decent prices on the stuff I had to get done at the dealer, but he has quotas to meet. Caveat emptor.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Selysel
Nothing is FREE. Dealers are thieves. If your car has a warranty issue they must deal with it. I've had lots of new cars and never done any of those scheduled maintenance just maintained it well. Scheduled maintenance from a dealer is for those who don't know better or have lots of loot and don't really care about 300 bux. If you're driving a maxima you should learn to know better.
Old 02-23-2001, 09:49 AM

I bought a Lifetime wheel balance at discount tire for $32.00 (in San Diego). Declining the 15K won't void your warranty.
Old 02-23-2001, 02:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation. I have 10k on my ride and the service guy asked me if I wanted the 7.5k service. Price was $119 and included was an oil change, rotating the tires, wheel balance, wheel alignment, and some type of gas and oil treatment. Plus they washed the car! Unfortunatley it snowed the next day so there go's that. All in all, I dont think the price was too bad considering all that was done.