5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

cattman headers installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 10:16 AM

cattman headers installed

so i got my car back last night, everything looked good under the hood and my mechanic did a great job. Before i go on about this i will let u all know that this thread is worthless because i have no before or after dyno so if u dont want to read the rest you dont have too. Money situationn is tight and i really couldnt pay for the dyno as the installation ran me for about $150.

Sound
The car sounds great,a bit louder then having an aftermarket y-pipe, but in no way is it annoying, and this is with a greddy evo. my previous setup was a greddy evo, stillen ypipe, and place racing cai. The stillen ypipe had to be removed for this, and i would pick the sound of this setup any day over what i had before.

performance
as i mentioned no dyno so i kind of took a risk at getting these but brian did submit a before and after dyno so im not that worried. This mod definintly throws me back in my seat and i dont feel the lag the maxima would do going from 2nd to 3rd. The car really starts to rip from the midrange to upper gears and kind of surprised me because i expected it to be a tad bit faster then an after market ypipe since brian mentioned a 40-50% over an aftermarket ypipe, but i really feel this thing pull. If any of you read the fourth gen forumes, "Nomad Maxima" is scheduled to dyno his cattman headers with a before and after this week.

Installation
do not try to do these youreself no way its happening, this took my mechanic about a day and a half of work and the real difficulty was getting to that back header. My mechanic mentioned that it bolts on perfectly and the gaskets and installation instructions were perfect. Its just takes time and effort.

overall i think that these headers are worth every penny and thumbs up to brian for making these, although i havent dynoed i think these are way better then the setup i had before. I will be making pics this week as i had no time to do so the past few days,i apologize if this information isnt useful but im just posting up so far what has happened in the past 15-16 hours.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:19 AM

I want your mechanic...day and a half for 150 bucks.............cool. So a supercharger install would run me about what 75 bucks? lol. Sounds good. I cant really tell if your all that impressed other than sound over the power of the y-pipe.

Originally Posted by amaxeatinvtecs
so i got my car back last night, everything looked good under the hood and my mechanic did a great job. Before i go on about this i will let u all know that this thread is worthless because i have no before or after dyno so if u dont want to read the rest you dont have too. Money situationn is tight and i really couldnt pay for the dyno as the installation ran me for about $150.

Sound
The car sounds great,a bit louder then having an aftermarket y-pipe, but in no way is it annoying, and this is with a greddy evo. my previous setup was a greddy evo, stillen ypipe, and place racing cai. The stillen ypipe had to be removed for this, and i would pick the sound of this setup any day over what i had before.

performance
as i mentioned no dyno so i kind of took a risk at getting these but brian did submit a before and after dyno so im not that worried. This mod definintly throws me back in my seat and i dont feel the lag the maxima would do going from 2nd to 3rd. The car really starts to rip from the midrange to upper gears and kind of surprised me because i expected it to be a tad bit faster then an after market ypipe since brian mentioned a 40-50% over an aftermarket ypipe, but i really feel this thing pull. If any of you read the fourth gen forumes, "Nomad Maxima" is scheduled to dyno his cattman headers with a before and after this week.

Installation
do not try to do these youreself no way its happening, this took my mechanic about a day and a half of work and the real difficulty was getting to that back header. My mechanic mentioned that it bolts on perfectly and the gaskets and installation instructions were perfect. Its just takes time and effort.

overall i think that these headers are worth every penny and thumbs up to brian for making these, although i havent dynoed i think these are way better then the setup i had before. I will be making pics this week as i had no time to do so the past few days,i apologize if this information isnt useful but im just posting up so far what has happened in the past 15-16 hours.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:02 AM

I think this means you left the Y pipe off. You want to sell it?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ssheltz
I think this means you left the Y pipe off. You want to sell it?
yes it will not be useful for me right now, its a stillen ypipe 3 months old, i wanted to try getting rid of my exhaust piping(what replaced my bpipe) as well, and put them all in one package, if that doesnt work out then ill put the ypipe up for sale alone, but if youre really interested pm me and check the classifieds next week
Old 10-28-2003, 10:28 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I want your mechanic too...
Old 10-28-2003, 11:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximadave
I want your mechanic too...
Even though I work at a shop, I want your mechanic as well

This job is like 5-6hrs of labor. The rear manifold is the real b!tch to remove, byt the time your done your arms are basically raw meat. I guess you had a good hookup or the tech completly underestimated the job and was really ****ed off
Old 10-28-2003, 11:27 PM

day and a half WOW!!!!!! took my mechanic 3 hours to do my stillen headers. like to see the dyno when u get one.

will
Old 10-28-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by WILLSE
day and a half WOW!!!!!! took my mechanic 3 hours to do my stillen headers. like to see the dyno when u get one.

will
Comon now, it was probably at the shop for that long, doesnt mean the car was being worked on that long. I think the guy didnt even check the labor guide and underestimated how big of a PITA is really was
Old 10-28-2003, 11:42 PM

It took Matt and I 22 hours to put headers on a 3.5 Altima. But I must say, hearing it after the install was worth it.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Even though I work at a shop, I want your mechanic as well

This job is like 5-6hrs of labor. The rear manifold is the real b!tch to remove, byt the time your done your arms are basically raw meat. I guess you had a good hookup or the tech completly underestimated the job and was really ****ed off

lol, hes a realy close friend of the family, every mod i get is installed by him at his house, he has every tool you could possibly imagine,i personally feel bad paying him $150 for this. quick question, now that the they are installed will an SAFC or air fuel controll help with power somewhat or will it be useless on an N/A??
Old 10-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Ugggggh....so apparently your mechanic relocated the REAR 02s behind the main cat and that worked?

I thought you were having some issues or was that someone else?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:13 PM

Install

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
It took Matt and I 22 hours to put headers on a 3.5 Altima. But I must say, hearing it after the install was worth it.

22 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!...I am not trying to put you down but are you serious or joking. It took me and one other person 3.5 hours to install headers on my 02 and we did it with out a lift.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:22 PM

lol, hes a realy close friend of the family, every mod i get is installed by him at his house, he has every tool you could possibly imagine,i personally feel bad paying him $150 for this. quick question, now that the they are installed will an SAFC or air fuel controll help with power somewhat or will it be useless on an N/A??
Well considering headers usually make the motor run leaner, even N/A the SFAC should help you out a bit. How much but it will help the powerband smooth out a bit, im sure a few spots are somewhat lean. Get the car dyno'd and make sure they use a wideband o2 as well.

Also yes please do get in some "detail" what exactly he did with the o2 sensors thing and exactly how he went about that ect...
Old 10-29-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by juice
22 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!...I am not trying to put you down but are you serious or joking. It took me and one other person 3.5 hours to install headers on my 02 and we did it with out a lift.
We also installed a clutch, flywheel, UDP, and shift ****. The clutch and flywheel easily took half the time. All without a lift.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by juice
I gave him **** about that earlier on today as well
Old 10-30-2003, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Well considering headers usually make the motor run leaner, even N/A the SFAC should help you out a bit. How much but it will help the powerband smooth out a bit, im sure a few spots are somewhat lean. Get the car dyno'd and make sure they use a wideband o2 as well.

Also yes please do get in some "detail" what exactly he did with the o2 sensors thing and exactly how he went about that ect...
the first day i got the car, the rear o2 sensors were unplugged and just tied in a knot left in the front and the car still worked, but man did it eat gas like crazy, i went to nissan and ordered two o2 sensr adaptors that are located in the manifold, some wiring and had my mechanic rewire it to the bpipe, so preety much i printed out the sticky info an gave it to him and the car works fine. the funny thing is me and my mechanic discovered that the 2 adapters in the manifold come out and didnt even have to orderit rom nissan so i bew $20 for nuthing.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Ugggggh....so apparently your mechanic relocated the REAR 02s behind the main cat and that worked?

I thought you were having some issues or was that someone else?

haha, its not that bad whats with the "ugggggh"
?
Old 10-30-2003, 02:51 PM

I installed mine without a lift and without removing anything except the airbox. You guys must have been really taken your time.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Nothing...just wondering why you hadn't mentioned it.

You're the first CALI spec to install them, so I figured you had run into some stuff to figure out.

haha, its not that bad whats with the "ugggggh"
?
Old 10-31-2003, 01:14 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Nothing...just wondering why you hadn't mentioned it.

You're the first CALI spec to install them, so I figured you had run into some stuff to figure out.
If you can't dyno can you at least post some pics installed.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
If you can't dyno can you at least post some pics installed.
i did mention the thread is worthless in my original post