5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Owning and driving a '03 Maxima vs. C5 corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:13 AM

Owning and driving a '03 Maxima vs. C5 corvette?

I currently own a '03 Maxima, 6-spd. SE model, no options, bone stock

Let me say that I love my car. In my opinion, one of the best bangs for the buck out there...I'm sure I have little difficulty convincing anyone here of that.

Lately, the C5 corvettes have caught my eye. In searching the market on them, a 2002 with low miles can be had in the low 30's if you do a little searching. My interest lies in the 6-spd. couple model...I love targa tops and the output from the standard engine is "enough"...besides, the Z06 is a litttle to pricey for me.

I love the way they look. I like their specs. on paper. Problem is, I never have even sat in one, much less drive one.

SO! Has anyone here ever spent an appreciable amount of time driving one...or at least riding in one? How did you like it? Obviously, the performance numbers far exceed Maximas, so I guess I am looking for opinions on overall build quality, ride impressions, comfort and convienience, etc. Which would you rather drive coast to coast in?

I understand driving a corvette in the winter is mostly a bad idea...but I already have a truck as a second vehicle so the additional versatility of the Maxima as a year-round car isn't that much of an issue with me. I already checked out insurance...my rates wouldnt go up much at all.

In my opinion, asking a lot of people who share my high opinion of the Maxima are a good resource to tap for a comparison.

My strategy is that next summer when the C6 corvettes are due to be released, the dealerships are going to be cutting some deals on the remaining 2004 C5 inventory, PLUS numerous die hard corvette fan C5 owners are going to be selling their corvettes in order to trade up to the new latest and greatest C6. These two factors should crush the corvette market quite a bit and allow me to pick one up at a good price...most likely a 2002 model or later.

SO! Anyone out there have some experience with the C5 corvettes? The corvette is gonna have to be pretty damn nice to separate me from my Maxima...

Thank you for your time.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:33 AM
I miss the .org!

I'm not too sure on the specs of the non-Z06, but the IMO the interior is very tacky and cheap. When I sat in one, it really reminded me of cheap GM rental cars I'd driven before...
Old 10-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

FYI-

The C5 has been out since late 97 and the performance really hasn't changed since then. You can pick up 98-00 C5s for lower 20s now. Quality wise, you'll be disappointed. Stay away from winter driving. Have fun getting 14-15mpg in the city, highway mpg is really good though (25+). Enjoy easy 12s with some basic mods. I'd buy one as a fun car.

Dave
Old 10-27-2003, 11:43 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by geneevans
I understand driving a corvette in the winter is mostly a bad idea...but I already have a truck as a second vehicle so the additional versatility of the Maxima as a year-round car isn't that much of an issue with me. I already checked out insurance...my rates wouldnt go up much at all.

new vettes are quite nice, without a doubt...but in so far as the statement quoted above, this is non-existant when it comes to insurance and vettes (at least in NY)

in NY, insurance is seasonal on vettes and is very much stipulated in the contract...if you make a claim in the winter with a vette, you are instantly denied........with a vette, you need a second vehicle

Old 10-27-2003, 11:49 AM

I haven't spent a lot of time in one, but I took a friend's Z06 for a spin. It's a sportscar alright. Take the 350Z and multiply it by 4, lol. I definately wouldn't want it as a daily driver. But the Z06 is truly a track car. You don't drive it to get somewhere, you drive it to drive it. I hear the same thing about Vipers; people who own them almost never drive them because of it.

Not sure how diff the Z06 drives from the coupe, but that's my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
FYI-

The C5 has been out since late 97 and the performance really hasn't changed since then. You can pick up 98-00 C5s for lower 20s now. Quality wise, you'll be disappointed. Stay away from winter driving. Have fun getting 14-15mpg in the city, highway mpg is really good though (25+). Enjoy easy 12s with some basic mods. I'd buy one as a fun car.

Dave
Dave is right; the 97 to the present C5 is unchanged. If you are looking for a deal I suggest getting a 2000 which should run you about 20-27K depending on mileage.

Now to answer your question. I myself is going to a vette when my lease is up and I've been doing allot of research. From what the guys are saying at corvetteforum.com don't expect to have too much comfort (it's a sports car).
In terms of interior quality it's not that great "basic no fills setup". But the most of all the engine is sound and don't have many problems. The only thing you really have to look out for is the occasional Viper driver (and yes a Viper will smoke your a**).

But it's definitly a step up from the Max for less or the same money.

Good Luck keep me posted.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The C5 is a great car.

Now if fit and finish is important, you will be dissapointed. Handling and power is second to none under $75k. The C5 has proven to be a great car.

I would keep the Maxima if you drive it as your daily driver.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
I haven't spent a lot of time in one, but I took a friend's Z06 for a spin. It's a sportscar alright. Take the 350Z and multiply it by 4, lol. I definately wouldn't want it as a daily driver. But the Z06 is truly a track car. You don't drive it to get somewhere, you drive it to drive it. I hear the same thing about Vipers; people who own them almost never drive them because of it.

Not sure how diff the Z06 drives from the coupe, but that's my 2 cents.

Well i can tell you first hand that both the C5 and the Z06 are pretty impressive cars. The guy and my friend who i work out with has owned a 2000C5 and now has traded it for 02' Z06(405hp).

Let me give you a tad bit of insight on both. His C5 was great as a daily driver, no problems for the everyday commute. We live in Fl so that may have something to do with it too.

Plenty of power(350hp/345trq) , the car handled like it was on rails, that myth that the vette can't handle is a lie! We use to take 35mph off ramps at 85 mph and the car was sticking like glue, he would scare the crap out of me all the time!Not a tire squeal , moan or nothing, the stuck to the ground with authority! The inside is like a ficher price toy set up , but its not horribly tasteless. I have seen worse interiors.....

The seats are very comfortable , and ride quality is stiff, but not jarring to where its unbearable.

The acceleration is crazy! 4.8 sec crazy from 0-60! Top end is 185!
He would hit 130 without even trying. He averaged 28mph on the highway and 21 in the city, not bad for V8. That 6th gear gog really helps out on the highway as a gas saver.

Overall, the C5 vette i think, is one of the best bang for the buck sports cars you can get stock. Not much can touch it for its price,value, performance, especially at a used priced. To put it, i would pay 20-28 thousand for a used C5 before i would pay 29+ on a new 350Z. Yes man the vette is worth it, that is if your looking for a sports car!

Z06

When he got this beast, i thought i was going to die. THE CAR IS RAW!!!!! That is the only way to describe it! At 405 hp this beast does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds! First gear goes to 55 mph! Low to mid 12's runs at the 1/4 mile track. The exhaust is so much throatier than the C5, when he revs it , the car means business! Under W.O.T the car sounds like it is ready to kill somebody! The acceleration is EXPLOSIVE !!!!! He spins the tires in the first 3 gears and chirps 4th for ****s and giggles, the car is rediculously fast! The ride is stiff, but stable, very balance yet pushed hard in the corners and the car doesn't bow,bend, or give , it stays flat like a true race car! The car is danm sexy! And the heads up display is so freaking cool, every car should have one! Its like flying a F-16 fighter jet! He can display Tach/Speedo,Tach/Speedo,fuel/oil, or just tach, or just speedo! Its so freaking cool, i always thought it would be a distraction but it really isn't , its rather helpful because it helps you keep your eyes on the road as your tearing through the gears!

He got his used with 5,000 mile on it and he paid 40,000 for his.The car is worth every penney, it outruns the old GTS viper, modena, porsche turbo, etc. Even at 60 grand, the Z06 is a steal compared to some of its competition that is 2-3 times more and doesn't offer the same performance as the vette! The car is awesome, if you have the money i would opt for a used low mile 02' Z06. The 01' Z06 is good, it has 385HP , but it is nothing like its 405HP brother!

He loves it and i love being in it when he offers to drive to the gym! Its always an adventure in that car! Get either one , you won't regret it! Just have a second car if you live up north, especially if you get the Z06!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:52 PM

Great motor---cheap squeaky doors & interior---back problems or knee problems-----a pain to get in and out of.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:06 PM

I appreciate all the comments from those of you who seem to qoute the typical Vette complaints(cheap interior, rattles and squeeks), but you are a sadly mistaken in your "stereo-type." Being a C4 Vette owner and a C5 Vette owner, I can tell you the rattle/squeek complaints of old where solved by the incredible C5 chassis. Some think the interior is plain, but it is very nice for a vehicle that costs less than 50K and can run with those that cost much, much, much, much more. There are SIGNIFICANT differences in C5 Vettes from 97 to present. 2001 and up is your best bet for the "best" the C5 had to offer. More power, most of the suspension changes completed and nicer wheels than those 97-99 models.

My advice would be to continue to put some money away until the late winter/early spring 2004. That is when the large Vette dealerships on the East coast will be offering some spectacular discounts(some are all ready dropping 7400 off msrp right now) due to the C6 introduction(in January at the Detroit auto-show) and delivery schedule to bring C6's to the showroom in late fall 2004. Check with Maxi-Price in Alanta and Kerbeck in Alantic City as they are the largest Corvette dealers in the US. The discount will usually more than make up for the cost of a flight out there to pick it up.

The coupe model, as you mention, will be the best bargain this coming spring. Make sure you get the options you want(1SB package pretty much does it) and get the six speed!!! I would think any dealership around you with a C5 would be willing to let you sit in one and I don't really see why they won't allow a test drive as well(it was hard in 97-98 to get a test drive). Just remember, the C6 is rumored to be arriving with 425 horse for the coupe/convertible models and 500 horse for the 2006 Z06 model(no Z06 in 2005).

Todd
Old 10-27-2003, 07:15 PM

I read an article in car and driver (i think) that did that car camparo (boxster s, s2000, z, svt cobra, etc). They had like 9 cars that were driven really hard through saloms... 0- 60, 1/4, tracks, etc. In the end... the corvette was the top performer but they also said the corvette was the first one to start falling apart. But i think as a weekend car it should be fine... as a matter of fact i wouldnt mind owning one.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I drive my girlfriend's Vette quite regularly and personally I am in love with the car and after my lease is up on the Maxima, I'm buying myself a beater and getting myself a Vette.
Interior is a bit cheap but I actually like the seats a lot. Engine speaks for itself, it's got power on tap without downshifting, and the handling is great. Only for the summer or dry weather though like many have said, any bit of rain will have it spinning all over, trust me I know.

My girlfriend actually has her for sale, she wants to get a 3.5 Altima since she never drives the Vette because of the Jersey weather. I brought her over to the VQ side.

Asking 34K. 20k Miles. 6spd. Borla Exhaust.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:05 PM

I guess I'm kinda spoiled, but have regular access to my buddy's '02 Z06. I must say I'm very comfortable in that car. It's stupid fast for a production car. Ride is firm but acceptable for the vehicle. The A/C works twice as good as my 03 Max. The ride is twice as firm and the car has NO (yes I said NO) squeaks and rattles as compared to the 4 squeaks and rattles I get driving my Max. I love my Max but wish I'd waited and saved for a Vette.

Something else I find ironic: Nissan's "Flagship" vehicle has squeaks, rattles, and TERRIBLE dealer customer service. Corvette is quiet, no rattles, and dealer kisses my butt like no other anytime I take it in for an oil change for my friend. Did I mention GM still gives RENTAL CARS? What's that like again?!?
Old 10-27-2003, 11:51 PM
meh

LOL....funny how the tables have turned huh?

Of course I would expect that from Chevy, ESP. as that is their image car...

I'd love to pick up a couple year old C5 sometime though, just to have as a fun summer car, and they're defintely a good deal now
Old 10-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've ridden in one a few years ago. My neighbor had one, automatic, quite abit of fun. We were even followed by a cop, but he explained to me it wasnt a big deal, his son is the cheif of police for a local police department, and he conviently keeps his business card right next to his license....

Anyway, even with the traction control on, it was a nice steady hard launch. Alot of people agree that they tend to be abit better in the auto trim, the 6spd tends to spin the tires alittle too much.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:54 AM
Got Bent?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain