5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Carseats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Carseats?

Hi all, I'm new here since my husband and I just bought a 2002 Maxima. We have an 8 month old son and I bought a carseat for him online and am worried it won't fit in the car. Has anyone had problems fitting a Britax Marathon carseat rear-facing in a Maxima? Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 10-27-2003, 11:48 AM
NT2SHBBY

haha....a soccer mom with 255hp.... look out world!

Old 10-27-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by maxima mom
Hi all, I'm knew here since my husband and I just bought a 2002 Maxima. We have an 8 month old son and I bought a carseat for him online and am worried it won't fit in the car. Has anyone had problems fitting a Britax Marathon carseat rear-facing in a Maxima? Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA
When I bought my 02 Max at the end of 2001 one of the things I did when car shopping was place my daughter's rear facing car seat in the back to see how it fit. The Max and the 02 Altima were the only cars where the rear facing car seat did NOT touch the front driver's seat seat. In the others (Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata) it was tight up against the front driver's seat.

You should have plenty of room.

By the way if you have a LATCH seat the way to access the latches in the Max are by putting the belt through the holes in the seat beside the sticker, not through the crack between the bench cushion and the back cushion. There was one frustrated couple who did not know there was a hole in the seat beside the sticker and they almost ripped the bench cushion out trying to get at the latch.

Best of luck!
Old 10-27-2003, 12:08 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
haha!

i have two carseats... one just went from rear-facing to front. I didn't have that specific carseat but there is plenty of room.

but a question... shouldn't you have checked this *before* you bought a)the carseat, or b)the car?

I'd put it behind your seat if you drive and have your seat forward, or if you have your seat back (are you tall?) then put it behind the passenger seat... but I think there'll be plenty of room.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:25 PM

Most seats should fit in the car just fine. You may need to have the seat on one side or the other (not in the middle). I have not used the LATCH system so I cannot attest to that. My son has faced forward since he was 9 months b/c he was so large. His seats fit fine in the back-although we got a minivan for more room.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

LOL NT2SHBBY!! My husband loves the hp and swears he doesn't hit the gas to hard. Yeah right!

I wish I could've checked the fit but there was no place where I live that carries that particular brand/model of carseat for me to try and the online place I bought it from was way cheaper than anyplace else. Also, I guess I'm a little spoiled space-wise because our other car is an Infiniti Q45 with HUGE space in the backseat. I didn't even think the space issue would be a problem since it seems the Maxima has just as much space. The only reason it came up is another mom I talked to said the Marathon didn't fit in her Camry so she had to return it. This is of course after I already ordered it.

Yup, I already checked out the latch system and found the holes. Another question I have: can you put the carseat in the middle seat using the latch system?

Thanks for everyone's replies!
Old 10-27-2003, 12:36 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by maxima mom
can you put the carseat in the middle seat using the latch system?
nope, one side or the other...and the hump in the middle of the seats isn't too forgiving if you try to belt it in, either, so I wouldn't try that.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:59 PM

Not sure about your specific model of Britax, but our daughters carseat was huge and it fit fine in the Maxima. It is a pain in the butt to put in because of the somewhat bucket seats in the back. Our front facing Britax went in much better.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
I see this gal cruising around in my area at least once a week in an 03' M5 with 2 little one's strapped down in the back simultaneously (maybe twins?). She's sittin' on 390+ max HP.

I'ts pretty funny, I always get this vision of two munchkins belted down with 5-point harnesses, pinned-back into their car seats under 3G's of force while mom "hammers the Sedan with everything it's got" on the way to the mall. Then...I snap back into reality when I realize "mom & the kids are in an M5 and I'm not!"

M5 mom --> <-- Me