5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Disassemble Trunk Lid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:44 AM

Disassemble Trunk Lid?

How easy is it to remove the trunk lid and disassemble it?

My license plate mounting holes had these little plastic inserts in them and one of the stripped, so when I pulled the screw out, the plastic thing broke and fell inside of my trunk lid..

Now whenever I close or open my trunk, it rattles and I can actually hear it rolling around in there. How do I get it out??????

Would it be better to just stick a can of expanding foam in there and "sound deaden" my trunk lid at the same time? If I do that, will it be able to get in all of the far edges or will it be a waste of expanding foam? (Also, what kind of expanding foam should I get? The last stuff I got took days to dry...)

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-27-2003, 12:02 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by maxcosity
How easy is it to remove the trunk lid and disassemble it?

My license plate mounting holes had these little plastic inserts in them and one of the stripped, so when I pulled the screw out, the plastic thing broke and fell inside of my trunk lid..

Now whenever I close or open my trunk, it rattles and I can actually hear it rolling around in there. How do I get it out??????

Would it be better to just stick a can of expanding foam in there and "sound deaden" my trunk lid at the same time? If I do that, will it be able to get in all of the far edges or will it be a waste of expanding foam? (Also, what kind of expanding foam should I get? The last stuff I got took days to dry...)

Thanks,
Kevin
great stuff....get it at home depot.
dries ENOUGH within the hour....may take a full day to expand.....for me it did the job.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:26 PM

Ok, Great Stuff, sounds good.. Did it help with sound deadening (stop rattles from bass) or was it not really noticable?

Anyone else have a comment on disassembling the trunk lid to remove this pesky piece of plastic?

If not, anyone have any comments on removing the trunk lid itself? If I can remove it, then I might be able to turn it upside down (all the way) and get the thing to come out. But I heard if you remove it, it is hard as hell to get back on and won't be level when you're done???
Old 10-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxcosity
If not, anyone have any comments on removing the trunk lid itself? If I can remove it, then I might be able to turn it upside down (all the way) and get the thing to come out. But I heard if you remove it, it is hard as hell to get back on and won't be level when you're done???
Not hard to take the lid off. I don't think that you can completely disassemble it though. If I remember correctly it is spot welded in a few places so you can't totally disassemble it. It has been a long while since I have looked at it though, so I could be completely off base here.

When I took mine off, I scribed a line on each side of the square tubing that the lid is screwed onto. Then after it was ready to go back on, I just lined up the lines with the tubing and screwed it back on. This took a few tries to get "perfectly" square, and I did have the help of my dad for lining it up. But we got it close enough that I can't tell if it is off.