5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen Short Throw Shifter Questions . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 06:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Before I begin, let me state that I DID use the search function before posting this thread.

OK, how many of you with Stillen STS's experience vibration in the shifter when your hand is off the shift ****? Is the vibration really noticeable? What if anything did you do to get rid of it? Did you have to pound out the heat shield on top of the catalytic converter? Besides using lots of lithium grease on the linkage, do you have any other installation tips?

And most important, if you had it to do all over again, would you still purchase the Stillen STS?

(Please repond ONLY if you have installed a Stillen STS in a 5th Generation Maxima, not a SMC STS or a Courtesy STS. Thanks.)
Old 02-20-2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by y2kse
OK, how many of you with Stillen STS's experience vibration in the shifter when your hand is off the shift ****? very minor, even unoticible

Did you have to pound out the heat shield on top of the catalytic converter?
uh...no! it has screws, and by carefully manuvering it you can move it out of the way enough to get to the linkage

Besides using lots of lithium grease on the linkage, do you have any other installation tips?
replace your shift **** while you are at it

And most important, if you had it to do all over again, would you still purchase the Stillen STS?
yes!!, I hate that truckish long throws

Old 02-21-2001, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by Maxx-s-ter

Did you have to pound out the heat shield on top of the catalytic converter?
uh...no! it has screws, and by carefully manuvering it you can move it out of the way enough to get to the linkage
Thanks Maxx-s-ter. My concern is that some of the 4th Gen guys had to pound out the top of their heat shields in order to gain enough clearance to keep the shifter from rubbing. From what I gather, you didn't run into that problem.

When you say "carefully maneuvering it", are you referring to the shifter or the cat? I'm assuming you didn't actually have to remove the cat to install the shifter. Is that correct?
Old 02-21-2001, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by y2kse
Before I begin, let me state that I DID use the search function before posting this thread.

OK, how many of you with Stillen STS's experience vibration in the shifter when your hand is off the shift ****? Is the vibration really noticeable? What if anything did you do to get rid of it? Did you have to pound out the heat shield on top of the catalytic converter? Besides using lots of lithium grease on the linkage, do you have any other installation tips?

(Please repond ONLY if you have installed a Stillen STS in a 5th Generation Maxima, not a SMC STS or a Courtesy STS. Thanks.)
Hi. I installed my Stillen STS when my 2K SE had under 1k on it. The Stillen STS has no more vibration than stock, There was plenty of heat shield clearance,( it just unbolts,no pounding!) You will have to grind/file some metal out of the opening in the floor to allow the offset shifter clearance,but only on the drivers side of the opening.The install took about 1 1/2 hours, and the only hard part was removing/reinstalling the spring that attaches the bottom of the shifter to the linkage.
As long as your catalytic converter is cool when you start, Its not that hard to work around.
I only put a dab of grease on the base of the shifter, and at 5k it still works perfectly!
Good luck, Don
Old 02-21-2001, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll probably go ahead and purchase the Stillen STS. I want to check with my mechanic first and find out how much he'll charge me to install it. I'm guessing it will take a couple of hours to install.