5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HLSD is broken! *video*

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
What was their reaction to that 2002 press release I dug up?

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/200...ma/index.shtml

"For the first time on Maxima, a close-ratio 6-speed manual will be standard on SE models (available 10/01). This transmission optimizes the powerband of the new 3.5-liter engine and is geared towards the serious driving enthusiast. A helical limited-slip differential is optional on manual transmission Maximas (available 12/01). This mechanical differential is torque sensitive and provides instantaneous locking for increased traction and performance."
I didn't slap them with that one (yet). I thought the metal plate would be far more effective. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:57 PM

Tues Update:

Today I called the local dealer at 3:30pm looking for an update. He was on hold with the tech line and didn't have one for me yet.

I get a call as I'm leaving work. The short version of the call is:
1) I have a HLSD in a Torsen Gleason shell. They're confused why they look the same from the outside

2) The test I videotaped isn't valid because there isn't any weight on the wheels, or any suspension members (sounds like BS to me)

3) Nissan doesn't have a test to verify that the HLSD is working. The Tech suggests trying a burnout to see if the car will do a 1 wheel burnout. (of course I asked if that was convered under warranty if something broke)

My opinon is that Nissan's tech line is that they're clueless about this tranny/differential combination. Whoever the dealer is talking to is shooting from the hip.

I talk the dealer into having me come in tomorrow morning with the car and try a hard launch with 1 tire on dry pavement and the other on wet dirt, or loose sand. They agree to this. The service advisor tells me he is hopeful this will be enough, but says that this doesn't guarantee this will give them authorization to open the tranny and see what's going on.

ARGH!!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 05:05 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Wed Update:

Today I called the local dealer at 3:30pm looking for an update. He was on hold with the tech line and didn't have one for me yet.

I get a call as I'm leaving work. The short version of the call is:
1) I have a HLSD in a Torsen Gleason shell. They're confused why they look the same from the outside

2) The test I videotaped isn't valid because there isn't any weight on the wheels, or any suspension members (sounds like BS to me)

3) Nissan doesn't have a test to verify that the HLSD is working. The Tech suggests trying a burnout to see if the car will do a 1 wheel burnout. (of course I asked if that was convered under warranty if something broke)

My opinon is that Nissan's tech line is that they're clueless about this tranny/differential combination. Whoever the dealer is talking to is shooting from the hip.

I talk the dealer into having me come in tomorrow morning with the car and try a hard launch with 1 tire on dry pavement and the other on wet dirt, or loose sand. They agree to this. The service advisor tells me he is hopeful this will be enough, but says that this doesn't guarantee this will give them authorization to open the tranny and see what's going on.

ARGH!!!!

How long is the "Lemon Law" good for after buying new cars?

This is just rediculous!!!!!!!! Having weight on the wheels doesn't mean a fuking thing to how a LSD operates in your Maxima. It's not as if there is a weight on wheels switch somewhere that only allows the LSD to work "if" there is weight on the wheels!!!!!! If you apply more resistance to one wheel, the LSD should exert itself against the force (your piece of lumber) and knock you on your a$$ (or at the very least, rip the board out of your hands). And trying to say the suspension plays a role...

What a bunch of fuking clueless morons...

While you're there tomorrow, tell them you want your blinker fluid and muffler bearing checked, and ask them to give you 5 gallons of prop wash while they're at it...
Old 11-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Okay, so by now they have played their usual THIS IS NORMAL OPERATION card hoping you would just go away quietly but that failed.

Now they have played their VEHICLE DOES NOT HAVE FEATURE TO BEGIN WITH card which is a rarely played card but still in the deck I guess for them. That failed also.

Now they're saying they don't have a test and want you to do a burnout which proves utter cluelessness. And after demonstrating such incompetence I think instead of playing along you ought to play one of your own cards.

Whip out that VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE card and smack it down on the table. You couldn't possibly trust them to actually take apart your transmission, figure out what's wrong, fix it, and manage to put it back together properly all in a timely fashion when Nissan tech line says the car doesn't even have an HLSD and when they don't even have a test procedure to test it in the first place!

Since they are obviously clueless, politely state the above and also politely demand that they just order you a new HLSD transmission and to let you know when it comes in. They can have your old one back and Nissan engineering can fiddle with it as long as they want but in the meantime you would like your car back. This is what ANY company with decent customer service would do. And when they're done scratching their ***** looking at your broke one and actually manage to get their ish together, they can recycle it along on its merry way as a rebuilt unit.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:52 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

man nissan service is just showing how pathetic they really are. I hope it all works out for you!

Maybe nissan can get like they did with smokenodem!

Old 11-04-2003, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Whip out that VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE card and smack it down on the table. You couldn't possibly trust them to actually take apart your transmission, figure out what's wrong, fix it, and manage to put it back together properly all in a timely fashion when Nissan tech line says the car doesn't even have an HLSD and when they don't even have a test procedure to test it in the first place!

Since they are obviously clueless, politely state the above and also politely demand that they just order you a new HLSD transmission and to let you know when it comes in. They can have your old one back and Nissan engineering can fiddle with it as long as they want but in the meantime you would like your car back. This is what ANY company with decent customer service would do. And when they're done scratching their ***** looking at your broke one and actually manage to get their ish together, they can recycle it along on its merry way as a rebuilt unit.
Will this actually work?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:17 PM

hell if I know

hheehe...well it's just that org people are always expecting bad service from all the other horror stories here and putting up with it. It's just expected. Play dumb (like you have no clue about this) and act shocked and appalled at the utter incompetence like you last had a Lexus or some other car from the top of the JD Power service charts (except Infiniti).

BTW, how do they know that your test was invalid if....

a) first they said the operation was normal
b) there was no HLSD to begin with
c) there is no test procedure that defines how it should be tested anyways?

I say go for a whole new tranny and that they should have to sort out this mess on their own damned time. Not yours.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:50 PM

hell if I know

hheehe...well it's just that org people are always expecting bad service from all the other horror stories here and putting up with it. It's just expected. Play dumb (like you have no clue about this) and act shocked and appalled at the utter incompetence like you last had a Lexus or some other car from the top of the JD Power service charts (except Infiniti).

BTW, how do they know that your test was invalid if....

a) first they said the operation was normal
b) there was no HLSD to begin with
c) there is no test procedure that defines how it should be tested anyways?

I say go for a whole new tranny and that they should have to sort out this mess on their own damned time. Not yours.
Good thing I have the Name and Phone number for the Case Manager - North Central Region, Nissan North America, Inc. She'll be getting a call tomorrow. I'm also going to see if the guy I know at their North American Tech. Center in Michigan can help me out any.

Let the games begin!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:18 PM

Ok, I know an engineer at Nissan's North American Technical Center in Michigan, so I sent him an e-mail seeing if he could connect me to someone who could help me out with HLSD issues.

We'll see what develops.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:21 PM
VQ Wizard

A message to the tech at your Nissan dealer.

You are we Todd did.

You are sofa king we Todd did.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:00 AM

Wed morning update:

1a) Dealer still insists I have a RS6F51A (open diff). They say that there is only one 6 speed manual transmission that was offered in the car in 2002. According to running my VIN, my car has the RS6F51A. The plate under the hood saying RS6F51H (Helical) means nothing.

1b) As such my car has the RS6F51A and is behaving normally.

2) Apparently according to the tech Scott, there was a 5 speed automatic, and a 6 speed automatic offered in 2002.

3) Dealer refuses to put anything in writing because as the top service advisor there today said, "We don't need to. We know the facts."

I guess I'm at a loss what to do next. It looks like I have the things left to do.

1a) Follow up with Erin at Consumer Affairs

1b) Talk to Jennifer Case Manager - North Central Region

2) Get a lawyer.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wed morning update:

1a) Dealer still insists I have a RS6F51A (open diff). They say that there is only one 6 speed manual transmission that was offered in the car in 2002. According to running my VIN, my car has the RS6F51A. The plate under the hood saying RS6F51H (Helical) means nothing.

1b) As such my car has the RS6F51A and is behaving normally.

2) Apparently according to the tech Scott, there was a 5 speed automatic, and a 6 speed automatic offered in 2002.

3) Dealer refuses to put anything in writing because as the top service advisor there today said, "We don't need to. We know the facts."

I guess I'm at a loss what to do next. It looks like I have the things left to do.

1a) Follow up with Erin at Consumer Affairs

1b) Talk to Jennifer Case Manager - North Central Region

2) Get a lawyer.
Go to another dealer?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by kklier
Go to another dealer?
Well, As much as I don't like the dealer, I'm don't think they share more than half the blame for this disaster. I think somewhat the dealer is stuck in the middle. I've had previous bad dealings with other dealers. There aren't too many left in my area.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:46 AM

What a bunch of farking morons. NOBODY can possibly be this stupid. They have to be blowing smoke up your **** hoping that you'll just go away. Did you breakout that printout from NissanNews.com?

Yup, time to stop screwing around with these dimwits and take it to the next level. This is freaking ridiculous.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:03 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Quite simply put, they are full of ****. They are hoping that they can discourage you enough so that you will drop the entire issue in total exasperation. I say drive up to the dealership (with your tools) and proceed to pull apart your tranny and differential, pull out the HLSD, and throw it through their front window and say "If I don't have a HLSD, then what the hell did I just throw through your window?"

OK, that's a little drastic, but if you want it resolved quickly, use smokinodum (his .org S/N) as an example and replace your own tranny/diff (whichever is easier), prove that you are right, and have them re-imburse you (and then sell the replacement tranny/diff).
Old 11-05-2003, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Quite simply put, they are full of ****. They are hoping that they can discourage you enough so that you will drop the entire issue in total exasperation. I say drive up to the dealership (with your tools) and proceed to pull apart your tranny and differential, pull out the HLSD, and throw it through their front window and say "If I don't have a HLSD, then what the hell did I just throw through your window?"
They claim I will void my warranty if I do that.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:51 AM

What a bunch of farking morons. NOBODY can possibly be this stupid. They have to be blowing smoke up your **** hoping that you'll just go away. Did you breakout that printout from NissanNews.com?

Yup, time to stop screwing around with these dimwits and take it to the next level. This is freaking ridiculous.
Yes, I showed it to them, but they say that doesn't prove my car has a HLSD.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:00 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

What did your window sticker say when you bought the car? Wouldn't it have said 6 speed manual transmission with HLSD? Seeing that it was an option you would have had to pay for it. Pardon me if I missed this in the earlier posts.

I thought this might be interesting for you to read (taken from 240sx.com):

"Question

Do I have a VLSD?

Answer 1

I tried the most popular VLSD test while the car was up on a lift. I definitely have the VLSD, confirmed via other means. Namely, big orange sticker on the side that says VLSD.... Anyway, all forms of this test were done with both drive wheels completely off the ground. Here's what I found:

With transmission in neutral, spin one wheel by hand and the other spins the same direction. Both spin very freely.

With transmission in gear (driveshaft fixed), the wheel is much more difficult to spin, plus the other wheel rotates in the OPPOSITE direction.

With one wheel fixed (someone holding it in this case, could also be on the ground), either in neutral or in gear, it is very difficult to turn the other side at all, but it will turn given enough force.

I've heard that other VLSDs and other types of LSDs tend to react to this test differently. For instance, the Torsen and other similar helical limited slip differentials act just like an open differential when subjected to this test. However, the above is how Nissan's R200V VLSD reacts to the test. I'd assume that the Z32's R230V would react the same since it's of similar design, just a bigger ring gear."

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
What did your window sticker say when you bought the car? Wouldn't it have said 6 speed manual transmission with HLSD? Seeing that it was an option you would have had to pay for it. Pardon me if I missed this in the earlier posts.

I thought this might be interesting for you to read (taken from 240sx.com):

"Question

Do I have a VLSD?

Answer 1

I tried the most popular VLSD test while the car was up on a lift. I definitely have the VLSD, confirmed via other means. Namely, big orange sticker on the side that says VLSD.... Anyway, all forms of this test were done with both drive wheels completely off the ground. Here's what I found:

With transmission in neutral, spin one wheel by hand and the other spins the same direction. Both spin very freely.

With transmission in gear (driveshaft fixed), the wheel is much more difficult to spin, plus the other wheel rotates in the OPPOSITE direction.

With one wheel fixed (someone holding it in this case, could also be on the ground), either in neutral or in gear, it is very difficult to turn the other side at all, but it will turn given enough force.

I've heard that other VLSDs and other types of LSDs tend to react to this test differently. For instance, the Torsen and other similar helical limited slip differentials act just like an open differential when subjected to this test. However, the above is how Nissan's R200V VLSD reacts to the test. I'd assume that the Z32's R230V would react the same since it's of similar design, just a bigger ring gear."

Dave
Dave, unfortunately I don't have a window sticker. The car was purchased through the fleet manager. I never got it.

I don't think the section from 240sx.com applies because the car is running in gear while my testing was done.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:37 AM

I am now following the prescribed actions given to me by Nissan North America (why do they call it that when they don't handle Canada?...) I am back dealing with Nissan Canada. This seems to be a giant circle I'm running in.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I feel for you Stereodude...it's amazing they can get away with that BS. It's what I like to call the "Nissan cycle of DIService". They play the customer and most of the time it works and the customer pays and goes home with their tails inbetween their legs to never buy a Nissan again, ie 2nd place on Customer DISatisfaction survey. Then when they get one that knows his **** they get defensive and call out the big guns, ie area representative who's just another dumbazz used to intimidate. Then you have to play the call Nissan corporate game and they end up fixing it ANYWAYS. They're playing the odds that you, the customer, will give up easily and they'll SAVE money. Think about it and it makes financial sense, but not customer loyalty/repeat buyer sense.

So, many people on this board who know 100x more about their cars get the shaft, so I can only imagine what the naive uninformed Nissan customers get shafted for every day.

Good luck! Stick it to them!
Old 11-05-2003, 11:14 AM
It's chrome alright...

do you have a local news "investigatory team" ? They might be interested to know your car code says "H" but nissan still claims you don't have LSD... I think a news organization would love the chance to investigate whether nissan is badging cars with an option is doesn't really have.

make a call... see if they're interested.

I can hear the call now...

start like this "I have paperwork that says I have limited slip, I have a metal plate stamped that says I have LSD, and nissan ran a report saying not only do I not have it, they didn't offer that option in my car's year."

the parts about "metal plate stamped" and "nissan saying it's not an option" will be very interesting to a reporter.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:08 PM

So I wrote a formal letter to Nissan Canada requesting they they send me a signed and dated letter on Nissan Canada letterhead identifying my car by VIN stating it has a HLSD. This was the prescribed course of action from Nissan North America. Of course if the metal plate in the car doesn't prove it, I don't know how they figure the letter from Nissan Canada is going to help any.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:01 PM

I never did hear back from Nissan Canada today. I leave for Asia around noon tomorrow and I won't be back until the 17th. So I guess we'll all be in suspense together.

Thanks for all the support guys (and gals). It means a lot!
Old 11-06-2003, 06:59 AM

have a safe trip.

Yup, we'll all be in suspense, lol
Old 11-06-2003, 07:27 AM

Erin from NNA just called. They confirmed my car has a HLSD. They will wait for my return from Asia and then set up the repair at another dealer. They will forward them the information so the same situation does not occur again.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:45 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Erin from NNA just called. They confirmed my car has a HLSD. They will wait for my return from Asia and then set up the repair at another dealer. They will forward them the information so the same situation does not occur again.
another $hitty nissan dealer

Old 11-06-2003, 08:06 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Thank God someone working for Nissan has some kind of intelligence...
Old 11-06-2003, 08:12 AM
VQ Wizard

I have been provoking him to rub this in the other dealer's face.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:31 AM

I can't wait to hear their NEXT excuse.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:35 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I can't wait to hear their NEXT excuse.
"You went over my helmet?!?!"
Old 11-06-2003, 09:06 AM

"The car still operates, right?"

"If it aint broke, on fire, or the CEL aint on, that's NORMAL."

"HLSD is an option, therefore it's optional if we got to fix it."

"You went over my helmet?!?!"
Old 11-09-2003, 07:39 AM
VQ Wizard

Bad news folks. I had my car on a lift last night and noticed it does the exact same thing. So either my HLSD is broken too or this is normal behavior. I will have to come up with another test to know for sure. Sometimes I think there is something wrong with it and sometimes it appears to work perfectly.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:12 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Bad news folks. I had my car on a lift last night and noticed it does the exact same thing. So either my HLSD is broken too or this is normal behavior. I will have to come up with another test to know for sure. Sometimes I think there is something wrong with it and sometimes it appears to work perfectly.
what about just punching on a turn going like 10-15 mph? when i do this, the car just PULLS like mad. If the HLSD didnt work, wont the one tire just spin?

Old 11-09-2003, 09:29 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Hmmm...maybe both wheels need at least some kind of foce acting against them at the same time...

I mean, if one wheel is sitting on ice and one on dry pavement, there's still more friction overall on the wheel on ice than just spinning freely in open air, right?

:dontno:
Old 11-10-2003, 02:59 AM

Greetings from Taiwan.

Do what I did. Put one wheel on dry pavement, and put one wheel in some wet mud/really wet grass. Try to launch the car hard. If it's broken you will get massive wheelspin on the wheel on the slippery surface and the car won't forward much much. You will end up with mud down the side of the car, but you'll live.

I never did that exact test before (with wet grass/mud), but I know from my previous experience with one tire on dry pavement and the other in slush/ice you could nail the gas and the car would PULL like mad to the point of near wheel hop despite a tire with very little traction.

Hopefully we can get some other HLSD cars to test accordingly and then check on jackstands.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:08 AM
VQ Wizard

I tested mine somewhat this morning by gunning it around a sharp right turn. Instead of peglegging the whole front end of the car drifted as if the limited slip was working fine. We need someone else to try the test that has a car with ver low mileage.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:26 PM

I tested mine somewhat this morning by gunning it around a sharp right turn. Instead of peglegging the whole front end of the car drifted as if the limited slip was working fine. We need someone else to try the test that has a car with ver low mileage.
Mine seemed to peg-leg and spin the outside wheel in turns. I still think mine is broken regardless of the testing on jackstands.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I didn't think that was a good test for this. this is still an LSD so there will be a power transfer to the slipping tire. It's not locked all the time. TQ assisted means just that, the more TQ the harder it locks the 2 together. At 2K and holding the TQ goes down. The real test for this is the simple pop the clutch in 1st and nail it.

I did this today and had 2 nice 6' patches of rubber on the pavement. I call that a successful test.

My 99 5spd would transfer to the passenger tire every time and I'd have a 2 skid marks for 2' then it'd transfer over and I'd have 1 10'. This is best done on a smooth parking lot that has been tared so there won't be wheel hop.

Good luck testing guys
Old 11-10-2003, 09:58 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
"HLSD is an option, therefore it's optional if we got to fix it."

Quick Reply: HLSD is broken! *video*