5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bye Bye MAX, hello EVO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 08:28 PM

Bye Bye MAX, hello EVO!!!

I would like to start out by saying thank you to everyone for the great information, topics, and very helpful members on this forum!

The next item I want to make clear is I think the Maxima is a very fun comfortable car to own, and for the most part a good car. The week link is Nissan customer service and all the little annoyances the Max is plagued with. So many that I had I to sell my 2003 SE Max for a loss. Not to bash the car, I just hope everyone reading this will think twice before purchasing another Nissan. Here were my issues:

1. Paint chips everywhere, terrible paint.
2. The Bridgestone’s the car came with are DANGERIOUS in the rain.
3. I had a wind leak in my rear window.
4. I had a wind leak in my sunroof.
5. The Bose stereo STINKS.
6. The car handles from the factory like crap! If you do not believe me go rent a standard Camry or a Glant, you’ll be amazed.
7. The automatic tranny is the slowest shifting tranny ever made, pathetic.
8. Terrible traction with the one wheel drive (no limited slip in Auto), in the rain a moped will beat you off the line.
9. The MAF’s blow frequently.
10. They have coil problems.
11. HID theft anyone?
12. My battery was dead when Nissan delivery the car to me.
13. The tires were out of balance on delivery, so day 1 of ownership car was in the shop.
14. My rotors warped at 8k.
15. Hood flutter.
16. The trip computer is worthless.
17. The AC is sub-par, actually the worst of any car I have ever owned.
18. Lastly and the biggest issue - I had a loud noise in my rear suspension that took five trips to the dealer to fix!! Nissan of North America did not care in the least; they would not even return my calls. After I had a lawyer send them a letter, they finally responded and fixed my car.

In summary 8 trips to the dealer, Nissan customer service not caring at all about their customers, I sold the car a took a loss! I will NEVER own another Nissan in my life, and I will discourage anyone I know from purchasing their cars. The sad part is all Nissan had to do was return my calls, fix my car, and as a gesture extend my warranty and I would be a life long customer (I know no car is perfect). They just lost a lot of business, first loss was the sale of a new Armada, and instead a Toyota Sequoia was purchased by my girl friend.

Now the good news (if you are still reading), I purchased a Mitsubishi EVO!!! The car is amazing, I will not go into the details, I am sure many of you have read the articles. It is everything and more then what the publications say.

Oh, one more thing, I have a set of GR2’s that have never even been unboxed that I need to sell. Paid $285 on a GD, will sell for $225 + shipping. PM or Email me…..

Thanks again, enjoy your Max’s, even after all this I will miss it!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you think Nissan had problems, enjoy the wonderful world of Mitusbishi build "quality".
Old 11-03-2003, 08:58 PM

Man...Every car will have it's own problems but Mitusbishi...they actually have more problems then Nissan cars. lol. Go check out the sti or wrx if you're interested in the evo.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by JCW915
Man...Every car will have it's own problems but Mitusbishi...they actually have more problems then Nissan cars. lol.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:10 PM

I have read the other forums, the only issues are clutches and trannies from drivers who do not understand all wheel drive! In addition, I have owned a 97-turbo eclipse, and a 98-turbo convertible eclipse. I have never had issues with Mitsu. The EVO is the same basic motor as the eclipse turbo, a very very good and thoroughly tested motor...

Mitsu is not going to warranty a EVO clutch for some kid who has been drag racing.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:15 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Sam03

[img]http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2003050a.gif
[img]http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2003028a.gif
by JD Powers and Associates!!

Seriously people, enough with the grandstanding... if you're leaving just leave. Just one day stop posting, delete the link from your favorites, add the one for the new place you'll be visiting, and go. And for god's sake, you only had 37 posts... exactly what did you learn and contribute here anyway?

as the flight attendant says buh-bye now!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Skywalker636
The EVO is the same basic motor as the eclipse turbo, a very very good and thoroughly tested motor...

Ah, the good ole 2G, behold the power of crankwalk those first few years in the 4g63,
Old 11-03-2003, 09:19 PM

I did not contribute much, but I learned a lot from reading others... What I learned was that I am not the only one that had all the issues with the MAX and Nissan North America.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:21 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
by JD Powers and Associates!!

Seriously people, enough with the grandstanding... if you're leaving just leave. Just one day stop posting, delete the link from your favorites, add the one for the new place you'll be visiting, and go. And for god's sake, you only had 37 posts... exactly what did you learn and contribute here anyway?

as the flight attendant says buh-bye now!
Grandstanding agreement aside, I think that just because he only had 37 posts, doesn't mean that he's not entitled to say that he learned a lot here. It doesn't take a whorish amount of posts to read this forum..

Old 11-03-2003, 09:22 PM
It's chrome alright...

I did not contribute much, but I learned a lot from reading others... What I learned was that I am not the only one that had all the issues with the MAX and Nissan North America.
and you're about to learn the issues with mitsu... nice car but don't think it's not without its faults.

bye-bye, buh-bye now, how can we miss you if you dont' leave? Buh-bye...
Old 11-03-2003, 09:28 PM

Every car has it faults, 18 off the top of my head is excessive... I'll be gone just as soon as I sell the GR2's... Don't get all bent out of shape everyone, this is not an attack on the MAX, I liked the car, just wanted to let everyone know my experience. Even if you do not like to read it, all information is good, use it to form your own opinions.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:38 PM
LithiuMax

Every car has it faults, 18 off the top of my head is excessive... I'll be gone just as soon as I sell the GR2's... Don't get all bent out of shape everyone, this is not an attack on the MAX, I liked the car, just wanted to let everyone know my experience. Even if you do not like to read it, all information is good, use it to form your own opinions.
You know, a lot of the problems you had are fixable under the TSB's, and some others were just bad luck (battery, unbalanced tires). I think that if you put a little effort into the car, you would still be driving it. Yes, cars should be perfect from the factory, but you aren't driving a Bentley, and the EVO you bought won't be one either. Good luck and have fun..

Old 11-03-2003, 09:38 PM
MaxYammieR6

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
and you're about to learn the issues with mitsu... nice car but don't think it's not without its faults.

bye-bye, buh-bye now, how can we miss you if you dont' leave? Buh-bye...
EVO is such a ricer car marketed for a 2Fast2Furious wannabe generation. I know it's fast, but it has no class. The interior is poorly designed and the exterior makes it look like NASA's new space program in effect. I got the Maxima because it was a good balance between luxury, performance, and good looks. If I wanted speed, I would have gotten this thing instead. Have fun with your new car, Vin Diesel.

Look at me, I can go really fast!

-Antho

Haha. I love flamin', especially when I'm right!

Old 11-03-2003, 10:01 PM
It's chrome alright...

I'm not getting bent, I'm just wondering how you can stick one car with everything that's ever gone wrong with any maxima.

did your coils go bad?
did your HIDs get stolen?
did your MAF blow? (if so, did you have any mods that made it go?)

you're passing off OPINION as fact...

you didn't like the bose...didn't you test it?
you complain about slow shifts...didn't you test it?
you complain about handling...didn't you test it?
you complain about the AC... (seeing a pattern???)

and you're stating things that ARE YOUR FAULT and blaming nissan...

you bought a car without traction control and complain about no traction?
you took delivery of a car with a bad battery, why?
you took delivery of a car with unbalanced tires, why?
you took delivery of a car with wind noise, why?

you're right about some stuff... paint shouldn't chip (but everyone's having this problem, bmw/audi/volvo), hood shouldn't flutter, rotors shoudn't warp, tires do suck. Other than that... Buh bye now, bye bye, Buh bye, bye bye now! Are they gone? Good, man my cheeks are killing me. Can I take a break? A little break? Ok, good. Phew!

I will NEVER own another Nissan in my life, and I will discourage anyone I know from purchasing their cars.
sounds like an attack to me
Old 11-03-2003, 10:06 PM

The Evo is over priced and if you were going for speed, you could have bought an SRT-4 and saved a bundle. I have a friend with one with some mods and a stock evo or even one with a few mods cant touch him and he still has less money in it, alot less. Neither can compare to the class of a Max and probably never will, but, to each his own and good luck with your new ride.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:11 PM

I for one appreciate your input. I am very sorry you had so much trouble with the max, and I don't blame you for ditching it after all that trouble. Good luck with the Evo, I really hope the Eclipse troubles have not carried over into the Evo.

Note to org: he only had 27 posts yet learned a ton from the forums... maybe he is one of those rare newies who actually used the SEARCH feature, you know, the feature you are always giving others such a hard time about? Maybe that's why he didn't have to post so much, because he searched for his info. Bravo!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:16 PM

Haters

I also had a 2G eclipse. I miss that car. I would rather drive that car around with my 2 kids in it than my maxima. Problems try Tsb for Clutch, blown Maf, TSB for MAF, and 2 O2 sensors. Bose radio sucks, sometimes only left side works, skips like crazy at times (every like 5 seconds). My clutch is chattering again. Only cars I have ever owned have been stick. Paint chips. Sloppy, sloppy *** handling. Miss quoted on horsepower from the factory. Pinging from engine when hot and engine under load. Should I go on?

Funniest part about it is, I was a service advisor for Nissan for 5 years. I quit last year. Customer support from the factory is terrible. Too bad I had already bought the maxima. Not to mention that my wife has a 2000 GLE that had bad coils, needed TSB to reprogram ECU for check engine light coming on and major brake problems.

I was considering a G35 sedan, but I'm thinking twice about that. Maybe I will get an Evo or WRX and hook it up fat.

You are bringing out averages for all Mitsubishi cars. Like the Galant and new eclipse which is a total American car down to the Chrysler motors. If I'm not mistaken the Lancer Evo is still made in Japan. Which will be way more reliable. The motor in the Evo has been around for a long time and is very strong. I personally would rather have an evo than an Sti.

Stop hating !!!! Congratulations on your new purchase.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:25 PM

hey look at it this way the evo is only fast cause of the huge turbo take that away and you have nothing and to top it off adleast the maximas engine isnt being over worked with a huge a## turbo doing the work for it please the evo is fast but wil it last thats the question
Old 11-03-2003, 10:33 PM

i must agree that nissan dealerships are the worst
Old 11-03-2003, 10:35 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
Note to org: he only had 27 posts yet learned a ton from the forums... maybe he is one of those rare newies who actually used the SEARCH feature, you know, the feature you are always giving others such a hard time about? Maybe that's why he didn't have to post so much, because he searched for his info. Bravo!
part of being a valued member is also contributing... even it if means he just passes on info he learned here to someone who hasn't found it yet.

seems like there wasn't much of that happening. I do wish him well with his new car and godspeed getting out of here and on his journey there. Maybe he'll contribute to their community.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:41 PM

nissan dealers didnt give me so much bull yet, but they will after I bring my TSB in. Good luck with the EVO.(heard it was a better car than the WRX) i heard good things about it.

If i had to pick I would pick a EVO or a STI, but I like roomie racing 'family' cars, I am a Nissan FAN even though NIssan Service sucks and its plagued with problems. Then again, isnt Windows Plagued with problems, and we still using it. Nothing is perfect, its just a flaw in electronics.

PRos and Cons, just how much it matters to you.....
Old 11-04-2003, 03:04 AM

please post some pics of the evo!!
Old 11-04-2003, 03:23 AM

Many Nissan dealers don't even know how to balance a tire or apply the TSB for the rear passenger window wind noise. So I am just going to take my Max to a shop that specializes in tires and uses the Hunter wheel equipment; I will fix the wind noise myself. My wife has an 2003 Eclipse Spyder GT. So far, so good. Only thing wrong is they have the Blowtenzas. Will be taking care of that soon...

Pedro
Old 11-04-2003, 03:48 AM

Good Luck!!
Old 11-04-2003, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by glen1685
hey look at it this way the evo is only fast cause of the huge turbo take that away and you have nothing and to top it off adleast the maximas engine isnt being over worked with a huge a## turbo doing the work for it please the evo is fast but wil it last thats the question
Please set down and educate yourself on turbocharged engines.

Great pick with the EVO!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:33 AM

First off, I'd like to wish you good luck on your new purchase. Second off, I agree with a previous post. If you are leaving the forum, leave. If you hated your Max because of problems, so be it. Don't go on with the assumption that every one here has the same problems you did. With the exception of a few paint chips, I love the car. I had an 89 before this one and loved it for 13 years before I sold it. As far as Nissan building junk, sorry you feel that way. Not to bash other car companies, but I would never buy a Mitsu. My brother had so many problems with his Eclipse that are too numerous to list. IMO, I would have gotten the STI. Working on cars for most of my life has allowed me to see how some cars are built. In a word, good luck with the Mitsu.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:51 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
please post some pics of the evo!!
Why???
Old 11-04-2003, 05:26 AM

I would like to own an EVO, because they are fast, but as mentioned above they have absolutely no class. Even an STI outclasses the heck out of them, and comes with subaru quality vs. mitsubishi quality (which is rather crappy).

For what it's worth my 2000 maxima with 59k miles, bought at 37k has had this wrong with it:
1) rear O2 sensor died. $75 fix.
2) Coolant temperature sensor died recently. $25 fix

It's in the shop today for a oil leak - I think it's just the oil pressure sending unit (minor repair), and also an occasional rattling from the engine bay, which could be a heat shield rattling (no big deal I wouild guess), or a bad timing chain and/or tensioner perhaps (I'm guessing), which of course is a much bigger fix.

I'm happy with my car though.

In regards to your saying the autos shift slowly I've driven only one auto maxima - a 2000 - and the thing took about 15 minutes to shift between gears. Not sure if that's normal or was just a bad transmission, but it still had the full warranty on it so I'm guessing that it was just the tranny, but when I floored it from first into second it took WAY too long to shift. Course, if you're driving an auto you deserve it

Might i recommend nobody ever buy a new maxima? They drop in resale so quickly. You must have a very sore ahole from the loss you took on selling a 2003. What did you lose - $5k? Ungodly. So, now they'll build its price into your $30k evo and you're looking at $600/month for the next 5 years...?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:18 AM

good luck with the clutch! and the RUST from the factory! 8 EVO's have been returned in the greater area because of the 5k mile clutch problem and ... look under your rear bumper reinforcement bar... its rusting through! Check the many evo forums for problems
Old 11-04-2003, 06:34 AM

I can see where you are coming from, our cars were not built well, even the ones made in Japan. Some folks are more lucky then the others, and some can afford to swing the cost of trading in in the first few years of ownership and get out of their Maxima. As far as rattles, bad tires, skipping CD player, those are the things we can live with. My rule of a thumb is to rid of a vehicle when the cost of repairs exceeds the cost of a new car pmt several mos. in a row.
Best of luck to you with your Evo!
Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 AM

I've had my share of problems with my Maxima; items 2,5-9,11,14 & 15 on your list are what I experienced also. It's probably the second most trouble prone new car I've owned (the 1st being my Y2K Nissan Quest) but it's still a very likeable car (like my Quest).

If quality was the main feature I was shopping for when I bought my Maxima, I would've purchased a Camry SE V6 or Honda Accord V6. But performance was primary with quality a secondary.

If I was burned out with Nissan quality, I'd go Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus or maybe Subaru not Mitsubishi.

And because I'm bummed about the Nissan Service folks, I have my Maxima serviced @ Infiniti; they have all they need to service my Maxima.

Anyhow, enjoy the Evo; just keep in mind, it's a purpose built car NOT an all around car (i.e.: Maxima, I35 or Acura TL). It'll do ONE thing great (perform) but sucks in every other area.

Peace.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Why???
Because I dont one....
Old 11-04-2003, 07:06 AM

is it true that the evos have no high end? Ive think Ive heard people beating the new evos and stis with their maximas...
Old 11-04-2003, 07:07 AM

[q]My rule of a thumb is to rid of a vehicle when the cost of repairs exceeds the cost of a new car pmt several mos. in a row. [/q]Generally good advice, except it's tough when my 93 sentra with 170k miles keeps on ticking and I have my eye on newer, faster cars Damn thing is more reliable than my 2000 max.

Eitherway trading in a one year old car - especially a Nissan or most domestics - is just asking to take a bath from a depreciation perspective.

KBB is giving $21,850 or so for a 15k miles 2003 SE with leather, premium wheels, etc. Brand new the car had to cost $5k more than that.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
is it true that the evos have no high end? Ive think Ive heard people beating the new evos and stis with their maximas...
The AWD kills them on drivetrain loss. I'll believe a max can take a WRX at high speeds, but an STI or evo I'd find it a bit tougher to believe... They are both doing 0-60 in under 5 flat remember, which is around 2 sec faster than a maxima, even if you can't apply that strictly to high end capabilities.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:13 AM

People get bored of cars all the time and need change. So be it. Good luck with your new car. I do agree that it is more of a Ricer or 2Fast2Furious type of car but to each his own. The Max is quick enough for me and comfy to drive. It also has style and class. I was into the whole drag thing for a while (11.40s Buick Grand National) but I grew out of it. I might supercharge my Max and get it to the low 13s but thats all I want out of it. The Evo will do that with little work from what I hear. Here is what I am curious about since I have read this thread.

1. I also thought the Bridgestone's sucked in the rain. I recent bought 2004 SE Rims for my Max and the Goodyear's are amazing in the rain.

2. Is this a common problem for the rear window to leak air because mine does too?

I would like to start out by saying thank you to everyone for the great information, topics, and very helpful members on this forum!

The next item I want to make clear is I think the Maxima is a very fun comfortable car to own, and for the most part a good car. The week link is Nissan customer service and all the little annoyances the Max is plagued with. So many that I had I to sell my 2003 SE Max for a loss. Not to bash the car, I just hope everyone reading this will think twice before purchasing another Nissan. Here were my issues:

1. Paint chips everywhere, terrible paint.
2. The Bridgestone’s the car came with are DANGERIOUS in the rain.
3. I had a wind leak in my rear window.
4. I had a wind leak in my sunroof.
5. The Bose stereo STINKS.
6. The car handles from the factory like crap! If you do not believe me go rent a standard Camry or a Glant, you’ll be amazed.
7. The automatic tranny is the slowest shifting tranny ever made, pathetic.
8. Terrible traction with the one wheel drive (no limited slip in Auto), in the rain a moped will beat you off the line.
9. The MAF’s blow frequently.
10. They have coil problems.
11. HID theft anyone?
12. My battery was dead when Nissan delivery the car to me.
13. The tires were out of balance on delivery, so day 1 of ownership car was in the shop.
14. My rotors warped at 8k.
15. Hood flutter.
16. The trip computer is worthless.
17. The AC is sub-par, actually the worst of any car I have ever owned.
18. Lastly and the biggest issue - I had a loud noise in my rear suspension that took five trips to the dealer to fix!! Nissan of North America did not care in the least; they would not even return my calls. After I had a lawyer send them a letter, they finally responded and fixed my car.

In summary 8 trips to the dealer, Nissan customer service not caring at all about their customers, I sold the car a took a loss! I will NEVER own another Nissan in my life, and I will discourage anyone I know from purchasing their cars. The sad part is all Nissan had to do was return my calls, fix my car, and as a gesture extend my warranty and I would be a life long customer (I know no car is perfect). They just lost a lot of business, first loss was the sale of a new Armada, and instead a Toyota Sequoia was purchased by my girl friend.

Now the good news (if you are still reading), I purchased a Mitsubishi EVO!!! The car is amazing, I will not go into the details, I am sure many of you have read the articles. It is everything and more then what the publications say.

Oh, one more thing, I have a set of GR2’s that have never even been unboxed that I need to sell. Paid $285 on a GD, will sell for $225 + shipping. PM or Email me…..

Thanks again, enjoy your Max’s, even after all this I will miss it!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:38 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf
2. Is this a common problem for the rear window to leak air because mine does too?
yes. And there's a TSB for it. Read the TSB thread at the top of the 5th gen forum or go here:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/

so he's complaining about something they'll fix for free
Old 11-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Good luck with the EVO, it's a sweet car, but like others said, it's purpose built. It doesn't have cruise control and God help you when you go over bumps. The suspension has a lot of travel, but you feel and hear everything. At first it's cool, but after a while it will get annoying on a day to day basis. At least you live in Macon where the roads aren't terrible, it really never gets cold there and there are tons of twisty roads there I hope you do realize that the EVO drives like a base Civic from idle to 3500rpms. Not until you wind up do you get any real power. It's kind of like a switch, either on or off. 5-second 0-60s can only be had with high rpm launches, but if you fubar the clutch, Mitsu will know what you were doing. I think the EVOs are probably a bit more reliable than most Mitsu's, but it's still not great. At least the EVO doesn't have a lot of electrical wizardy that can go wrong. Have fun, but realize this car is not a cruiser.

Dave
Old 11-04-2003, 08:27 AM

Skywalker636 good luck man. I know some members are giving you grief about what you stated but the truth hurts. When people ask me about buying a Nissan I suggest they by a Infiniti because the service is better even though mechanically they are the same. Your experience with the Max could have been different if the service was better. There are companies out there that produce quality cars and have good customer service.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:33 AM

**** i've had two mitsu's a Galant that started smoking at 50k and a diamante that had a numerous amount of problems

on the other hand i've owned many nissans and never had major issues with any of them

go figure ehh???

Quick Reply: Bye Bye MAX, hello EVO!!!