5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

stillen 3.5 headers installed on my 2002 auto max

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 03:05 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Don't worry, we'll get you the dyno numbers by Friday...
Old 11-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

The more the better!

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Don't worry, we'll get you the dyno numbers by Friday...
Old 11-05-2003, 05:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What other mods does glen1685. We should make some guesses at what the dyno numbers will be.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:23 PM

I am glad that someone else besides me is enjoying the headers...you should go to the track and bring back some good numbers.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:27 PM

i did dyno and i lost 8tq! i have NO POWER LOSS anymore.... the only problem with my car was the 30hp and 50ft/lbs loss around 4500rpm. i dont see y u guys doubt the headers. it has been known that me and studman both had problems with our car not related to the headers. y dont u guys give me 50 bucks to dyno if u want one that bad? ill get u numbers when i can.

will
Old 11-05-2003, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by juice
I am glad that someone else besides me is enjoying the headers...you should go to the track and bring back some good numbers.
i might consider when i get a new clutch but till then dynos will have to do.

will
Old 11-05-2003, 05:49 PM

WILLSE - let those who have doubts, knock the headers all they want..and we can enjoy the them...we both know they work so why do we need to prove it to them...if they don't wan to beleive us its their loss.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:51 PM

WILLSE - let those who have doubts, knock the headers all they want..and we can enjoy the them...we both know they work so why do we need to prove it to them...if they don't wan to beleive us its their loss.

will
Old 11-05-2003, 06:12 PM

While I had a great time meeting with you last saturday (haven't done that stuff in a long time) I definitely didn't leave convinced that these headers make the power they claim. You still feel convinced they're making good power?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
While I had a great time meeting with you last saturday (haven't done that stuff in a long time) I definitely didn't leave convinced that these headers make the power they claim. You still feel convinced they're making good power?

Keep in mind you have a great deal of weight reduction compared to others including 17 in wheels that weigh 16lbs each. I am running on 18in rims that weigh 26lbs a piece without tires. When we ran I had 50lbs of tools in the trunk and a few other things and I had a my work bag with a laptop computer in it in the back. My car also weighs very heavy for some reason when I ran my best of 14.3 it weighed 3510lbs...with me in it.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:55 PM

Keep in mind you have a great deal of weight reduction compared to others including 17 in wheels that weigh 16lbs each. I am running on 18in rims that weigh 26lbs a piece without tires. When we ran I had 50lbs of tools in the trunk and a few other things and I had a my work bag with a laptop computer in it in the back. My car also weighs very heavy for some reason when I ran my best of 14.3 it weighed 3510lbs...with me in it.
I agree. Are you sure those 18's weigh just 26lbs. Our stock 17's weigh 24 lbs. Your wheels may weigh more than you think. I'm not saying that the headers aren't making power, just still not convinced of it enough to lay out that much cash. Are you still going to the track on Friday?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Wild at Hurt

Both WillSE and Quicksilver Are great car guys and I trust them completely. Quicksilver has some serious credentials and we should respect that what he says is likely right on the money.
On this it just does'nt make sense to get in a p*ssing contest. I am grateful for all the info they have shared with us.
What I would like to know is, how loud are they with the stock muffler? Sorry if I missed a post on this.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:34 PM

Current mods stillen headers and y pipe, Apexi intake from frankencar, greddy evo exhaust system, high flow cat, custom maxima strut bar, and catman rear sway bar. I also have the stillen aero kit on with grille techs grille. To tell the truth about grille tech their grilles are nice, but i had to put two in place of the stock grille, because with one you can see inside the car, and it looked cheap. So i doubled it up and it looks so much better now. My next mod might be stillens supercharger for the 3.5 their testing at this moment =)
Old 11-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by WILLSE

will
I second that. I love my headers. It pulls like crazy from 4k rpms and up. If any of you want to see pics, go to my homepage. As far as dynoing and racing go, the best I could do for you is a G-tech Pro. I was planning on running against Studman this coming Friday and then getting the car dynoed on that following Monday, but something else has came up and I won't be able to make it down to Florida this weekend.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:39 PM

With a stock muffler its really not that loud but noticable. The reason for this is because the headers look similar to the old manifolds, but dont have the precats that restrict so much air. With a exhaust its louder because of the air flow is so much better. To help you guys out put it this way i use to pin it and hear nothing but my intake before. I could not hear the evo exhaust when i pinned it the intake over powered it. Now with the headers i cant hear the intake so ya its alot louder but i also have a high flow and a greddy evo.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mick Max
Both WillSE and Quicksilver Are great car guys and I trust them completely. Quicksilver has some serious credentials and we should respect that what he says is likely right on the money.
On this it just does'nt make sense to get in a p*ssing contest. I am grateful for all the info they have shared with us.
What I would like to know is, how loud are they with the stock muffler? Sorry if I missed a post on this.

thanks for being reasonable. im no car expert but i know my car. i have driven it almost 57,000 miles and can tell how my car reacts to different things. i will try to hit the dyno by the end of this week if i can round up enough loot to waste on another dyno. i have done 15 pulls on this maxima alone (18 if u count the next dyno). lots of money and lots of miles. i want to look into a few more small things to maybe squeeze some extra juice out of this beast. ill post resuts when i get em if i get em.

will
Old 11-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm just curious to see the excuses if these headers still don't make much useable power on the dyno. Will they still blame the rest of the car and try and find "other" problems. If these headers only make 8-10fwhp, you might as well just get a Y-pipe and call it a day.

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 08:42 PM

i love how people talk crap and yet they dont even have this year car its kinda funny
Old 11-05-2003, 08:51 PM

anyways is the unorthradox pulley worth it or no im trying to decide to get one or not
Old 11-05-2003, 08:54 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by glen1685
i love how people talk crap and yet they dont even have this year car its kinda funny
biting tongue...must...resist..the urge....

Unorthodox pulley = search
MEVI = search
Dave B = search

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 08:55 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

thanks for being reasonable. im no car expert but i know my car. i have driven it almost 57,000 miles and can tell how my car reacts to different things. i will try to hit the dyno by the end of this week if i can round up enough loot to waste on another dyno. i have done 15 pulls on this maxima alone (18 if u count the next dyno). lots of money and lots of miles. i want to look into a few more small things to maybe squeeze some extra juice out of this beast. ill post resuts when i get em if i get em.

will
If need be, I will front the money for your dyno runs.

I am an interested party in the respect that I wish to make a header purchase before too long myself. I also wish to make as much of a contribution to the people here in providing them with useful technical data. Lord knows I've learned a lot from this site. I always look for ways to return the favor...
Old 11-05-2003, 08:57 PM

It doesnt make sense the y pipe does give you 9 to 10, but if you saw the precats you know your gaining hp by eliminating them its just common sense the precats are the size of cantalopes. With straw size air flow going though them. So if you put the two together y pipe, and precats being gone of course its gonna be more hp then with the precats on with the y pipe. So more or less the headers and y pipe by stillen are better then just a y pipe just knowing these facts. I guess i should take a pick of the precats to help show everyone how much restiction are on the d$$ things
Old 11-05-2003, 09:00 PM

Sorry if im coming off like a jerk i dont mean to be.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Wild at Hurt

Dave B you do have a valid point. It is possible that other issues have been a stong possibility. Could the headers trigger a knock sensor, could the injectors max out with the better breathing? YES all this and more are possible.
Once all this is worked out I bet it is gonna be 20+ HP. On some of the cars I put headers on, part throttle power was noticeably improved, gas mileage went up 10%. I dont know about you, Im not at WOT most of the time. So part of the improvement these guys feel is at part throttle which will never show on a dyno.
And the weight reduction could be more than 50 LBS!!!
I really appreciate the feedback these guys who have put the headers on, have shared with us even though a lot of it is not documented to the bejesus belt. Headers are not going to be something everybody is going to do. They are spendy and a tough install.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:08 PM

Well said it took my dad and I 6 hours and we didnt have a lift either. Even with a lift its hard to get at the manifolds you have to take half the car apart. If you dont have any experience dont try to this by yourself. But the outcome of having it installed by someone is alot of $$$$$

Also if this helps i drove my parents 2003 maxima auto, and my 2002 auto with mods is so much faster then theirs without mods.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:12 PM

Well said it took my dad I 6 hours and we didnt have a lift either. Even with a lift its hard to get at the manifold you have to take half the car apart. If you dont have any experience dont try to this by yourself. But the outcome of having it installed by someone is alot of $$$$$

Also if this helps i drove my parents 2003 maxima auto, and my 2002 auto with mods is so much faster then theirs without mods.
Plus after of these mods i get better gasmiles =) 28 around town and 33 on the highway
Old 11-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

It doesnt make sense the y pipe does give you 9 to 10, but if you saw the precats you know your gaining hp by eliminating them its just common sense the precats are the size of cantalopes. With straw size air flow going though them. So if you put the two together y pipe, and precats being gone of course its gonna be more hp then with the precats on with the y pipe. So more or less the headers and y pipe by stillen are better then just a y pipe just knowing these facts. I guess i should take a pick of the precats to help show everyone how much restiction are on the d$$ things

We don't need pics of the precats because we've seen tons of pictures of them. FYI, just because those precats are ugly and huge doesn't necessarily mean they're restrictive. Your main catalytic converter is made of the same material and as we all know, running an open pipe in place of the cat only nets about a 1hp gain at best on an NA Maxima. The catayltic "bricks" of today aren't anything like the choking catalytic converters of the 70s and early 80s. Header design is FAR more complicated than just slapping some pipes together and calling it a day. The stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, while VERY ugly, actually flow quite well. Over the past 3 years VQ people have experimented with ported exhaust manifolds and headers. We have found out that the y-pipe seems to be the largest restriction, more so on the 95-01s than the 02+. The O2+ Y-pipe has better bends, BUT the precats aren't removed. The 02+ y-pipes gain about 5-6fwhp/tq whereas the 95-01 y-pipes gain about 10-12fwhp/tq.

I've thought mods done to my car had made my car significantly quicker until I ran at the track and realized I was running the same ET/MPH as before and sometimes even slower.

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 09:33 PM

I agree with Dave B...there are some mods that make one think the car is running quicker but it is actually running the same or slower. One of these in my experience is a cone intake...to me nothing but noise.

However, I have taken the headers to the track and shaved almost a full 4 tenths and gained 2mphs on my traps over my runs with the same mods and a y-pipe.

That is why I beleive these headers give good power gains.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Wild at Hurt

Glen 1685
Thanks for having the ***** to buy and install your headers and sharing your thoughts. A few questions if I may.
How much did your mileage improve?
How much louder at Wide open Throttle, how much louder under normal driving (part throttle)?
How much weight was saved?
Old 11-05-2003, 11:29 PM

I am an interested party in the respect that I wish to make a header purchase before too long myself. I also wish to make as much of a contribution to the people here in providing them with useful technical data. Lord knows I've learned a lot from this site. I always look for ways to return the favor...

Quicksilver
WOW! thats cool as **** . i will call tomorrow to see how the times are friday.

i owe u one.

will
Old 11-06-2003, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mick Max
I dont know about you, Im not at WOT most of the time. So part of the improvement these guys feel is at part throttle which will never show on a dyno.

there isnt a day i dont go WOT. i floor it any chance i get. i love the way the max screams now, my favortie part of it all is the POP, POP i get when i let off the gas in a gear, i find my self tapping the gas ever so slightly to get a consistant pop pop pop pop pop. no, im not saying i cruise around doing 100+ everywhere. anytime i get a new mod i always drive it alot more than i usually do. the night after i got my headers on i put 200 miles on my car just driving.

since the addition of the headers until now i noticed that when im on the highway turning lanes i always throw the blinker on give it a small bit of gas and get over with more than enough room between me and the car in front of me, after the headers i noticed that the car in front of me has been gettin closer alot faster than it used to with the same amount of throttle in 6th. i know this sounds like a lame little example but i have been driving the same car for 2 years now and kinda realize if something makes it change.

i think that the only possoble solution to get the maximas potential power to the ground, is the TS ECU. stock ECU is not mod friendly. after long periods of time i feel that my car has gotten slower, which has been proven by a few on the org to be very possible since the stock ECU in a sense holds back power. if the TS ECU is not a new ECU, will the ALL of the programs on the OEM ECU be redone or only the ones that they deemed neccessary? (sry im not computer smart) if the "old" programs are still in use would this theory of the ECU being the horsepower bandit still be possible? i know this sounds like jiberish and if im way out in left field someone please explain why im wrong.

will
Old 11-06-2003, 04:15 AM

I'll share that cost with you. WILLSE do you have a paypal account? I want to make it clear that while I may sound like a doubter, I desperately want these headers to make the power that is claimed.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:27 AM

anyways is the unorthradox pulley worth it or no im trying to decide to get one or not

Gains are minimal but still worth it if you're trying to squeeze out any potential HP. I went with one from Definitive Motorsports. Also that Stillen supercharger and intercooler are out and operational. Check the my350z.com forum.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
I'll share that cost with you. WILLSE do you have a paypal account? I want to make it clear that while I may sound like a doubter, I desperately want these headers to make the power that is claimed.

wow this is crazy. i havent ever seen this kind of help from the .org before. the comment about not having much cash to throw around at the moment is valid but in no way should it be the responcibilty of others to fund the dyno. thanks for the offer ur generosity is greatly appriciated but even though i said i wanted others to pay..... i admit i was a lil bit angered by the responces of a few of the guys on the board who take peoples personal experiences and tell them they are wrong without having any knowledge or personal experiences with this specific mod. thanks to everyone who still has hope for this header ordeal and thanks to all of the people that have found the answers to my crazy questions.

this has been a huge eye opener. seems like some people are more worried about their image on the board. why flame each other and worry what image u might lose if the answer to the question would just be cooperation with everyone. i never once said that the headers guarenteed that any 3.5l will lose power. i knew my car was screwed before the headers were even on. bashing stillen is only going to hurt the very little aftermarket support we already have.

if my dyno comes up that i lost even more power u guys can have a big thread saying hahahahaha i was right. until then 2 dynos isnt enough evidence to conclude that the headers will not yield any gains.

sry for the long post i have wanted to say this for a long time.

will
Old 11-06-2003, 08:27 AM

You need to get over yourself.

Dave B and myself have been around long enough to see the same thing happen SEVERAL times over. People and their butt-dynos don't hold water.

Nobody is "flaming" or "worry what image u might lose ". I don't care. Dave don't care.

We're just hoping to eliminate the BS and help get to the truth. Something a simple dyno will do.

You guys are way too used to the lax 5th gen. forum and think just because people ASK QUESTIONS or want to know more, we are "doubters". Other forums have DEBATES and IDEAS thrown back and forth. As long as everyone keeps it civil and truthful, then we can actually gain knowledge and HELP others who intend to buy these.

I would PERSONALLY like nothing more then their to be gains. I'm looking at a set for myself(Cattmans' though) and want to know WHY the first two dynos turned out the way they did.

AGAIN, get your MANties out of a bunch and quit getting defensive.

wow this is crazy. i havent ever seen this kind of help from the .org before. the comment about not having much cash to throw around at the moment is valid but in no way should it be the responcibilty of others to fund the dyno. thanks for the offer ur generosity is greatly appriciated but even though i said i wanted others to pay..... i admit i was a lil bit angered by the responces of a few of the guys on the board who take peoples personal experiences and tell them they are wrong without having any knowledge or personal experiences with this specific mod. thanks to everyone who still has hope for this header ordeal and thanks to all of the people that have found the answers to my crazy questions.

this has been a huge eye opener. seems like some people are more worried about their image on the board. why flame each other and worry what image u might lose if the answer to the question would just be cooperation with everyone. i never once said that the headers guarenteed that any 3.5l will lose power. i knew my car was screwed before the headers were even on. bashing stillen is only going to hurt the very little aftermarket support we already have.

if my dyno comes up that i lost even more power u guys can have a big thread saying hahahahaha i was right. until then 2 dynos isnt enough evidence to conclude that the headers will not yield any gains.

sry for the long post i have wanted to say this for a long time.

will
Old 11-06-2003, 08:36 AM

Time for a new thread.