5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Which lights should be more stolen?
2002-2003 TL Type-S H.I.D.s
29.03%
2002-2003 Maxima H.I.D.s
48.39%
Aftermarket H.I.D.s
3.23%
Those Cheap Auto Zone Bulbs!
19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Why are the Maxima HIDs The Most stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 03:30 PM

Why are the Maxima HIDs The Most stolen?

These lights are great but y steal the maxima only? The Acura TLs have practically the same lights and all i've seen is one set gone from some guy i don't even know. My friend has a 2002 TL with HIDs and they won't steal his.......yet I can not complain since I still have mine.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:31 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Because ours take about 30 seconds to 45 seconds to remove (that's both)...
Old 11-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Plastic holds the headlights in and is not very strong.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Because ours take about 30 seconds to 45 seconds to remove (that's both)...
Mine can not be removed in that short time!
Since I had an accidend.....small fender bender that cost 4Gs to fix...... My lights are stuck inside the Radiator support. Trust me, I tried to take them out. All i did is scratch the **** out of them and they were still there.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE WOULD BE THEIVES
Old 11-06-2003, 03:41 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Mine can not be removed in that short time!
Since I had an accidend.....small fender bender that cost 4Gs to fix...... My lights are stuck inside the Radiator support. Trust me, I tried to take them out. All i did is scratch the **** out of them and they were still there.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE WOULD BE THEIVES

I guess you've never seen a Stanley Wonder Bar used properly before...

Let's put it this way, anyone with skills could remove them both in under a minute...regardless of how far under the radiator support they are.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I guess you've never seen a Stanley Wonder Bar used properly before...

Let's put it this way, anyone with skills could remove them both in under a minute...regardless of how far under the radiator support they are.

LMFAO!!!! THanx for the 411
Old 11-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Banned

It's easy to steal and You can attach the cassing as hard as you want: That's not what they're looking for most of the time , so they can break it no matter, it's the ballast that they want most!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Wild at Hurt

Another factor is I think the HID's fit the oo-01 cars. Not sure if it is true with the TL's fitting older TL's.
Woodfield Nissan had 6 cars that were missing the H-lites when I was shopping around in MAY.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Granny Driven

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
These lights are great but y steal the maxima only? The Acura TLs have practically the same lights and all i've seen is one set gone from some guy i don't even know. My friend has a 2002 TL with HIDs and they won't steal his.......yet I can not complain since I still have mine.
dont be so sure. 99-2001 acura headlights are just as easy to steal. the 2001-up(bigger headlights are harder to steal)
Old 11-06-2003, 06:23 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by 190hpKiLLA
dont be so sure. 99-2001 acura headlights are just as easy to steal. the 2001-up(bigger headlights are harder to steal)
i believe the MAIN answer is the following 2 reasons, 1 of which was already mentioned....

1)easy to steal (i too though have them "stuck" due to a remote start accident

and

2) standard on all 02-03's, so a thief does not think twice. i dont' see thieves running for 04's, cause then it's a 50-50 shot whether the owner opted for hid's. with 02/03's...they were 100% sure.

proof that #2 is valid reasoning, val (i90hpkilla), didn't they steal your hid's. why.....he had 2k2 TAILS...so they assumed his car was a 2k2, and stole his headlights. funny thing is...he had ae headlights with hid's.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:14 PM

Well I just received my letter from Nissan where they're going to put some sort of bracket on the HIDs units and security tag them free of charge. Now all I have to worry about is my HIDs being vandalized due to attempted HID theft.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:03 PM

If the would be thieves know of the reinforced bracket and the HIDs are now tagged, which make them harder to steal and a lot harder to sell (since the buyer can also be charged as an accomplice because he is in possession of stolen property), that should help reduce the number of thefts or potential thefts. Passing a law authorizing the police to fine and ticket cars with non-OEM HIDs will also be a strong deterrent. Believe me, many states are in the red, having extra revenue will have their budget :-)
Old 11-07-2003, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Well I just received my letter from Nissan where they're going to put some sort of bracket on the HIDs units and security tag them free of charge. Now all I have to worry about is my HIDs being vandalized due to attempted HID theft.
I recieved a letter from the Nissan too... it says something for security... free charge!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 04:42 AM

Reasons they're being stolen:

1) easy to remove
2) fit 00 - 03 Maxima's
3) replacements are $1300 - $1400, creating a black market for replacements (wrecked cars) or someone wishing to "upgrade".
Old 11-08-2003, 08:32 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Being standard on all 02/03 Maximas is not really a reason that they steal them. Because they are so unbelievably easy to take out is the main reason.

There are tons of high end luxury cars that come standard with HID and yet you don't see them all missing headlights.
I see 1-2 maximas every week in NYC. Matter of fact i saw 2 just yesturday, one was missing only 1 headlight though and the other had both taken and they screwed up his fender and hood in the process..

maximas are THE easiest headlights to take out. It can't be fixed no matter how many security devices they put onto the cars. There is no reason why you should be scared to park in certain places and just worry about your headlights being stolen period. Adding security brackets, even if they are somewhat helpful, will still not deter thieves. What will they do when they can't pull the headlight out with the 1st try with the crobar? they will try again. and maybe again, with more force and damaging your fenders and hood in the process, finally, even if they do not get them out, they will likely damage the headlight, hood and fender. So you came out with your HIDs but you now have more damage. It will be a long time if, at all that theives will stop bugging 02/03 maximas because even if they are aware of the security features Nissan decided to make now, they can't know which person has it installed and which doesn't without attempting to steal them. But i think there is no way around this. They need to start making re-enforced headlights with a steel housing and brackets.

But it's all useless now anyways because theives know about how easy it is to steal them and will continue trying..

best thing to do in my opinion is to take the HIDs out and put regular headlights in there, or even convert your car into a 2000/01 to avoid any unwanted attention.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:38 AM
QBsFinestVQ

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
best thing to do in my opinion is to take the HIDs out and put regular headlights in there, or even convert your car into a 2000/01 to avoid any unwanted attention.

if you saw Domo Kun's car (an 02/03 converted to AE) you wouldn't say that...the fitment is shietty at best never mind the 1000% diminished light output

Old 11-08-2003, 08:41 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally Posted by QBsFinestVQ
if you saw Domo Kun's car (an 02/03 converted to AE) you wouldn't say that...the fitment is shietty at best never mind the 1000% diminished light output

he converted the whole car to an AE? like bumper/headlights/grille, tails, wheels etc?

or just headlights..
i've seen a ton of 2k2/2k3s with plain halogen headlights and yea, the fitment is a little off, leaving a small gap between the headlights and the bumper, and the light output is definitely not even close to what it was with HID.. but this is a sacrifice you may want to take. I know of a few people who had their HIDs taken up to 4 times already. If i was in that position, i would probably sell the freakin car out of frustration already, but if i really liked it, i would swap the headlights and forget about the HIDs.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:46 AM
QBsFinestVQ

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
he converted the whole car to an AE? like bumper/headlights/grille, tails, wheels etc?

or just headlights..
i've seen a ton of 2k2/2k3s with plain halogen headlights and yea, the fitment is a little off, leaving a small gap between the headlights and the bumper, and the light output is definitely not even close to what it was with HID.. but this is a sacrifice you may want to take. I know of a few people who had their HIDs taken up to 4 times already. If i was in that position, i would probably sell the freakin car out of frustration already, but if i really liked it, i would swap the headlights and forget about the HIDs.
just headlight swap, which leaves a CAVERN of gap, not something small......reminds me of that stock hideous wheel gap, but in headlight form

Old 11-08-2003, 12:45 PM

this poll is rediculous--which should be the most stolen headlight??

none....

also the 99-02 headlights on the TL all had their ballast behind their headlight...the 03 changed and moved it behind the firewall (i know the 02 and 03 look the same...but thieves dont know the difference)